Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,883 members, 7,802,853 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:20 PM

Are There Jobs In Uk ? - Jobs/Vacancies (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Are There Jobs In Uk ? (24750 Views)

2016 CHEVENING MSC SCHOLARSHIPS IN UK UNIVERSITIES / Nigerian Graduate Who Shared CVs In UK Subway Now Hiring (Photo) / Any Jobs In Oil/Gas Sector? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by manny4life(m): 9:37pm On Feb 12, 2010
pafun:

No I only worked in that particular office for 18 months. The resentment was from my oyinbo co-workers .  Most of the Nigerian cleaners  were simply ashamed to be seen doing this work.

Get it but what was the resentment all about? Did they spite you or what?
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by pafun(m): 10:00pm On Feb 12, 2010
manny4life:

Get it but what was the resentment all about? Did they spite you or what?
Primarily I got better paid than most of them. Secondly most of the problems that many find so tough to solve I did almost effortlessly, even my boss hated this -never ever let your boss think you are better than he is. Third was my fault - I didn't pub; so some of them actually thought what this said was like I thought I was superior to them [who the hell does this nigger think he is ? ].
Most were quite nice gentlemen though when you deal with them one 2 one. It is when they get together behind your back especially over a pint or two that they become wild beasts. Many till remain my friends however.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by pafun(m): 10:29pm On Feb 12, 2010
Sorry I won't discuss this any further. I don't hate anybody. We are all good and bad in our own unique ways. In retrospect they may not actually have hated me . They actually might not have understood me . I certainly was struggling to understand their culture and assimilate it , but I was still too Afrocentric and actually insisted that they call me nothing other than my full Yoruba name - no abbreviation, no Anglicizing. Hey I was an inconsiderate p.rick.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by timaus: 1:04am On Feb 13, 2010
i felt i must join this thread, pafum i agree with you 100%. am a graduate with two masters. i lost my job with Oceanic but i have been thinking along your side. people are making lots of money with ideas and a little capital if only they are willing to take the risk. there are no easy way to make money. there is money in the fish and chicken because it is a stable commodity which Nigerians eat a lot. many prefer to work for some else because there is little risk attach to it. but it feels good if you are your own boss.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by ogajim(m): 2:44am On Feb 13, 2010
OP: One of the fundamental requirements of an immigrant is the ability to assimilate because it is wrong to expect your hosts to adapt to you instead of you adapting to their culture or way of life, that explains some of the issues you had with them. You are back in Nigeria now and doing well so no need for any lecture.

timaus: One of the benefits of a civilized (and even some uncivilized) cultures is the choice that's available to all, everyone can't be farmers or business men. With two Masters degrees you should know that some of have entrepreneurial impulses while others have technocratic impulses (Some folks sadly have neither) but I think you get my drift.

If there are Nigerians like that here, I haven't seen and maybe I do need to get out more but this place is not conducive for that, the women won't take it for one.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by Wallie(m): 5:51am On Feb 13, 2010
cap28:

Wallie you know something, your mentality and outlook reminds me of the way whites relate to  blacks when they feel that their privileged position in society is being threatened -  they refuse to accept or beleive that blacks  are capable of being anything other than the stereotypical image that their media portrays us to be - in your case, i think that you have been told time and time again that you are not up to scratch and dutifully you have given in to that beleif and assumed a position of inferiority which you have been  told is all that your kind merits. 

Cap28, I guess calling truce is not your thing, huh? I’m getting tired o but I’ll take the bait one more time:-) I don’t know you and I’m sure you also don’t know anything about me. Well, here’s an insight, I tell people they “are not up to scratch” not the other way around.

cap28:

- wallie you are a victim of this school of thought, you have convinced yourself that whites are superior to you and unquestioningly you accept and imbibe every negative stereotype aimed at undermining and destroying your self confidence.  In order to cope with this racist treatment you project this same treatment outward onto your fellow blacks hence your unwillingness to believe that i could actually be capable of having the required experience for the job, i understand why you do this - you do it  in order to validate yourself and make yourself seem powerful in a white supremacist world where you are powerless.
I don’t even know where to start, so I won’t. So far, you’ve managed to deflect my questions with your ad hominem attacks. Does that mean you’re not answering my questions?

cap28:

im sorry to burst your bubble but yes i draft commercial contracts and i negotiate with blue chip clients - hope this won't give you sleepless nights lol grin grin

Does your contract look anything like your posts/writings? I sure hope not because that would explain why you got fired.

cap28:

very true - but i dont need to pad out my own resume as my ability and track record speaks for itself, by the way most law firms and inhouse legal departments recruit by way of rigorous testing in order to determine knowledge of the law,  advocacy, drafting and research skills.  i can assure you that no employer will take the chance of employing you purely on face value without testing your ability.

Omo naija!!!! You done cram the answer to the whole test…hmmm!!! I bet you crammed the whole Ababio too? Jk Assuming arguendo that you are indeed qualified, could the problem be that you don’t get along with your co-workers? Could you be that person that everybody avoids like a plague?

cap28:

hmm - by "up here" i presume you mean cloud cuckoo land because thats the only place someone with your level of reasoning can realistically be - i have known numerous black people who are high acheivers who still acknowledge that the odds are weighted heavily against blacks in this profession, these are people who have made enough money not to bother with those who are still struggling and yet they speak out - whereas people like you who i suspect are one pay check away from poverty deceive themselves into thinking they are at the top of their game.

No, your presumption is wrong!! You need more training to bait me with a changed issue. Who said odds are not weighed against black people? But just because the odds are stacked against you doesn’t mean you throw your hands up at the slightest resistance or does it? In this world, nothing of worth is given for free, you have to fight for what you deserve.

cap28:

well you shouldnt as no  competent lawyer worthy of his fee would ever admit that they use legalese to "confuse" the other party - im beginning to gain some insight into your level of competence. 

Cap28, you need to up your level an order of magnitude to be able to judge me.

cap28:

i dont have a problem accepting that some people are better at the job than i am, but i do have a problem accepting that someone who did not attend a law school in the uk and had no previous uk practical experience be given the opportunity to learn on the job, the option to leave and return to that same job if they so desire and be given unlimited opportunities for promotion and career advancement where these same options were not offered to a black lawyer who trained and qualified in the UK.

Cap28, did you take any legal reasoning courses and passed? Just because you’re black and went to school in UK means you’re better? Maybe you should try letting your reasoning support your conclusion. Looks like apples and agbalumo to me:-)

cap28:

im actually glad that you listed these universites - one thing you should ask yourself is this - how many ordinary people can afford to attend those institutions?

i dont know what obtains in the us but im pretty sure its similar to here but 80% of oxbridge graduates come from wealthy and affluent families, many of whom go on to run major corporations or participate at high levels within politics.

I asked myself the question you asked but came up with a different answer. In the US, there’s something called financial aid and scholarship. Most people that get admitted to those schools are on some type of financial aid or scholarship. I didn’t pay a penny in tuition out of pocket while in school.

cap28:

what you have failed to understand is that elite institutions maintain and consolidate a class system, which ensures that only the rich get to run and control the lives of the rest of us.  why is it that most major corporations wont look at your cv if you didnt attend a so called elite instititution, could it be because they want to ensure that certain people perhaps from the wrong side of the tracks are never allowed into their elitist club?

Before you go off the deep end with your theory about UFOs and Area 51, here’s a different perspective you might wanna consider. Could it be that companies look for elite institutions on your resume as a sign that you are brilliant enough to get into that institution? Further, in the Legal field, law firms use associates elite institutions to justify their exorbitant hourly rate. Look up the top US firms and you’ll notice that most of their associates are from the top schools. By the way, fees charged to the client also reflects in the starting salary of $160k for fresh associates out of law school with zero experience.

cap28:

are you under the misapprehension that race is  not at the forefront of peoples minds when selecting a candidate - especially a presidential candidate?  how come obama could not win by a landslide, and why did he not win in any of the southern states - you make me laugh

Your level and way of reasoning scares the hell out of me! “It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.” I don tire o; you're taking up too much of my free time!
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by pafun(m): 8:35am On Feb 13, 2010
ogajim:

OP: One of the fundamental requirements of an immigrant is the ability to assimilate because it is wrong to expect your hosts to adapt to you instead of you adapting to their culture or way of life, that explains some of the issues you had with them. You are back in Nigeria now and doing well so no need for any lecture.

timaus: One of the benefits of a civilized (and even some uncivilized) cultures is the choice that's available to all, everyone can't be farmers or business men. With two Masters degrees you should know that some of have entrepreneurial impulses while others have technocratic impulses (Some folks sadly have neither) but I think you get my drift.

If there are Nigerians like that here, I haven't seen and maybe I do need to get out more but this place is not conducive for that, the women won't take it for one.

I knew someone would try to bash me for this. I think that one of the fundamental requirements for gaining respect of other people is to make them respect your individuality. I gained the respect of my co-workers for this. I certainly feel better being called Olawale (not my real name) than being called Wally. Additionally I performed, if I didn't no amount of "assimilation"would have kept me on the job - it would have just been "one nigger less, the better the show". As a matter of fact the "culture of life" in England is two-facedness , and you should face to recognize that to your own peril.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by pafun(m): 8:48am On Feb 13, 2010
Do recognise that I said that particular job was the last I did in UK. I had before this lived and worked in that country for almost five years and I know all tat is needed to be known about the citizens. It is not a bit like America believe me.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by ogajim(m): 2:43pm On Feb 13, 2010
pafun:

Do recognise that I said that particular job was the last I did in UK. I had before this lived and worked in that country for almost five years and I know all tat is needed to be known about the citizens. It is not a bit like America believe me.

Like I posted earlier, I can't really speak for the UK despite regular visits but there are some things one can notice/see randomly to make you think how we can get so low in a foreign land.

Stereotypical attitudes are everywhere even here in the US but it is the level that catches folks' attention from time to time and place to place. I have friends that moved back after being hired by Nigerian companies and enjoy being there and contributing, we can't all be doing the same thing is my point. No matter what we do, we must never forget where we came from.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by manny4life(m): 3:15pm On Feb 13, 2010
Wow some post here seem to amaze me, hmmm, from Cap28 to Wallie, yall really funny, anyway.

@Pafun, just because you earn more than someone else perhaps your colleagues doesn't necessarily mean that's why they resent you. I don't know about the U.K., but in the U.S. certain OHR law bars employees or perhaps managers from discussing pay information with other employees unless there's a need to and they authorized to do so. What I'm saying is obviously your co-workers shouldn't have known about your pay grade or if u earned more than they did not if u told them but certain instances its unlikely.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by manny4life(m): 3:37pm On Feb 13, 2010
ogajim:

Like I posted earlier, I can't really speak for the UK despite regular visits but there are some things one can notice/see randomly to make you think how we can get so low in a foreign land.

Stereotypical attitudes are everywhere even here in the US but it is the level that catches folks' attention from time to time and place to place. I have friends that moved back after being hired by Nigerian companies and enjoy being there and contributing, we can't all be doing the same thing is my point. No matter what we do, we must never forget where we came from.

hey
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by manny4life(m): 3:40pm On Feb 13, 2010
ogajim:

I support this statement 100%, people are stereotypical, For instance many of you are familiar with the Dec 25th incident, when I reported back to work after the holidays, everyone started looking at me like I was some kind of plague, someone made a smart comment and guess what I replied back to him that I did not care what/how/why they looked at me, but its the same security check I have, that they do so they need to get over it.

This was another incident again, I use to access NL before from my work computer and one faithful morning, I tried to login into the system, and it tells me "ACCESS DENIED" I should contact our IT security department, I tried again because I thought I was doing something wrong, this time it went to a lock down mode, anyway long story short, I was placed on administrative leave for a whole week of investigation which I was called back. I was locked out not because I have been accessing a forum, but because it was a Nigerian forum Nairaland.com from a secured system. Tell me what other work place discrimination are you looking for even though I had access like other people had , but just for the fact (go figure). Did I let that trouble me, answer is NO, NO, and NO, rather I'm very careful on pages that I look through on the internet and since I bring my laptop in to work, I don't use the secured wireless, I use my blackberry to connect to the internet that way I can come on NL if I wish to.

I'm just sharing my own experience and there are tons more but did not let that deter me one bit. As for going back, I know probably I'm going home in the next few years which would be awesome if I can get a wonderful job back home, but I'm definitely not going home because of the resentment or the stereotypes of Nigerians, I'm going home because I'm ready to go home to make a change, grin grin grin
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by ogajim(m): 3:41pm On Feb 13, 2010
Good point Manny, I forgot about that myself, the manager could have been sued for disclosing privileged information, hope your street was not unploughed or you got a Bobcat wink

There are two kinds of Nigerians: Those that can make it anywhere and those who can't make it anywhere, if you can make it in Nigeria, chances are that with a good attitude, hard work and prayers that you can make it anywhere.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by ogajim(m): 3:56pm On Feb 13, 2010
manny4life:

I support this statement 100%, people are stereotypical, For instance many of you are familiar with the Dec 25th incident, when I reported back to work after the holidays, everyone started looking at me like I was some kind of plague, someone made a smart comment and guess what I replied back to him that I did not care what/how/why they looked at me, but its the same security check I have, that they do so they need to get over it.

This was another incident again, I use to access NL before from my work computer and one faithful morning, I tried to login into the system, and it tells me "ACCESS DENIED" I should contact our IT security department, I tried again because I thought I was doing something wrong, this time it went to a lock down mode, anyway long story short, I was placed on administrative leave for a whole week of investigation which I was called back. I was locked out not because I have been accessing a forum, but because it was a Nigerian forum Nairaland.com from a secured system. Tell me what other work place discrimination are you looking for even though I had access like other people had , but just for the fact (go figure). Did I let that trouble me, answer is NO, NO, and NO, rather I'm very careful on pages that I look through on the internet and since I bring my laptop in to work, I don't use the secured wireless, I use my blackberry to connect to the internet that way I can come on NL if I wish to.

I'm just sharing my own experience and there are tons more but did not let that deter me one bit. As for going back, I know probably I'm going home in the next few years which would be awesome if I can get a wonderful job back home, but I'm definitely not going home because of the resentment or the stereotypes of Nigerians, I'm going home because I'm ready to go home to make a change, grin grin grin

I couldn't agree more with you, There are stereotypes in Nigeria too just that we don't see it or sometimes not aware of it all together. We must not be ungrateful to our hosts but also not become doormats, a balance is required in every case. Folks tried that on me and I asked them why no one is talking about Amsterdam ( where i stopped over in '04 only to see them park the KLM plane from Nigeria about two miles from the tarmac but not the one from Dulles, go figure)
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by tbaba83(m): 5:23pm On Feb 13, 2010
cap28 is right to some extent. Being black may not get you far in a whites man land. If you follow british politics u will realise that the BNP want to kick us all out of their country. i dont doubt cap28's claim. Some of these white people are living in the 1500's. They dont want qualified blacks to take up jobs that they are well certified to pull of the challenge even if they have the right 2 be here(papers). they dont even want blacks or indians such a party.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by cap28: 5:31pm On Feb 13, 2010
Wallie:

Cap28, I guess calling truce is not your thing, huh? I’m getting tired o but I’ll take the bait one more time:-) I don’t know you and I’m sure you also don’t know anything about me. Well, here’s an insight, I tell people they “are not up to scratch” not the other way around.
I don’t even know where to start, so I won’t. So far, you’ve managed to deflect my questions with your ad hominem attacks. Does that mean you’re not answering my questions?

im glad you have the sense to admit defeat when it stares you in the face.  

Ad hominem eh - wow!! impressive you can actually use words with more than one syllable - Fela was right when he ridiculed "educated"  nigerians in his famous song mr grammaticology- im sure you remember the one where he jibed that nigerians "talk oyingbo pass english man"  i bet when you use such words around your white work colleagues they look at you in amusement,  thinking jesus this n********* actually thinks because he's learnt how to use our big words he actually thinks he's one of us.

hmm so YOU are the one who tells people that  they are not up to scratch - could that be the men in white coats who attend to you every half hour  to give you your prozac, ritalin and other anti depressants to keep you going!!!  grin grin grin grin

mr big grammar what contribution are you willing to make to the progress of your own country or are you waiting until the US govt revoke your green card and deport you back to nigeria where you will then resort to accusing the US govt of launching ad hominem attacks on your persona!!!!

Does your contract look anything like your posts/writings? I sure hope not because that would explain why you got fired.

Professor wallie  would you be so kind as to point out any of my previous posts that you take umbrage with and tell me why in your esteemed opinion they do not meet with your exceptionally high academic standards.  by the way did you change your name to wallie because your white "friends" couldnt be bothered to take the time to pronounce your name correctly or was it in order for you to fit in and seem more like "everyone else" - i laugh, i wan die  grin grin grin grin

Omo naija!!!! You done cram the answer to the whole test…hmmm!!! I bet you crammed the whole Ababio too? Jk Assuming arguendo that you are indeed qualified, could the problem be that you don’t get along with your co-workers? Could you be that person that everybody avoids like a plague?

Huh!!! for an Einstein wannabee you sure do spout a whole load of gobbledygook - get back to me when they've topped up you're medication.

No, your presumption is wrong!! You need more training to bait me with a changed issue. Who said odds are not weighed against black people? But just because the odds are stacked against you doesn’t mean you throw your hands up at the slightest resistance or does it? In this world, nothing of worth is given for free, you have to fight for what you deserve.

"slightest resistance" - so institutionalised racism is "slightest resistance".  Now unless you've been living in a cave for the past 20 years you would be forgiven for making such an ignorant statement but i am willing to believe that you have actually lived and worked amongst black, white and other races of people and im also quite confident that you have experienced racism either directly or indirectly, be it in the workplace at college, during social interactions etc.  the united states is one of the most racially divided countries on the face of this planet, therefore racism affects almost every aspect of your life, racism dictates where you live, what sort of job you get, where you study, even whom you date or marry, therefore to dismiss racism as a "slight resistance" is not only stupid it is also dangerous.  This slight resistance you refer to is what many african americans sacrificed their lives to try and eradicate, it is because of these people's bravery and courage that people like you can even have access to these so called elite institutions that you effortlessly reel off as places where only the "brilliant" can attend.  Are you aware that less than 40 years ago the closest that people who looked like you could get to these so called elite colleges was as a kitchen porter or janitor. Go and find out how recently blacks were allowed to actually attend these colleges that you hold in such high esteem.

yes i agree that you must fight for something that is worth having, but my point is, how about being honest enough to see something for what it is, lets recognise what we are dealing with instead of making excuses for other people's unmitigated racism.  If african americans had adopted your mindset they would never have fought for change in a society which refused to recognise them as american citizens, if they had your mindset they woould have continuously blamed themselves for the vicious and disgusting way that they were being treated by a white majority, they would have bowed their heads and continued to put up with the daily humiliations and degradation that they were being subjected to.

Cap28, did you take any legal reasoning courses and passed? Just because you’re black and went to school in UK means you’re better? Maybe you should try letting your reasoning support your conclusion. Looks like apples and agbalumo to me:-)

have you ever seen a situation in america where a foreign lawyer who trained and qualifed outside the US is offered a  job over a  US trained lawyer?  

have you ever seen a situation where a foreign lawyer with no prior US legal experience has been given the opportunity to learn on the job despite the abundance of american qualified lawyers who can do the same  job?

have you ever seen a situation where  a foreign lawyer who does not even have a green card is offered a job despite not attending a US law school or gaining any relevant legal experience working within a US law firm over a US qualified lawyer with five years relevant experience in the US?  

If you can answer yes to any of the above questions then perhaps i will carry on this conversation with you if no then i advise you to know when to throw in the towel and stop making a nuisance of yourself simply because of bad belle.

I asked myself the question you asked but came up with a different answer. In the US, there’s something called financial aid and scholarship. Most people that get admitted to those schools are on some type of financial aid or scholarship. I didn’t pay a penny in tuition out of pocket while in school.

so what? - what is the percentage of people who benefit from scholarships in comparison to the number of people from working class backgrounds with good high school grades but who cant afford the extortionate fees charged at these elite institutions.  

i had to get a loan from a bank to attend law school which took me years to pay back - many people simply cant afford to make those kind of financial committments - but they have the ability - what happens to them?

Before you go off the deep end with your theory about UFOs and Area 51, here’s a different perspective you might wanna consider. Could it be that companies look for elite institutions on your resume as a sign that you are brilliant enough to get into that institution? Further, in the Legal field, law firms use associates elite institutions to justify their exorbitant hourly rate. Look up the top US firms and you’ll notice that most of their associates are from the top schools. By the way, fees charged to the client also reflects in the starting salary of $160k for fresh associates out of law school with zero experience.

there you go again with these your fatuous elitist arguments - didnt george bush junior go to Yale? how brilliant is he?

are you aware that many of these rich people make huge donations to these institutions thereby guaranteeing places for their offspring? - these institutions encourage cronyism and nepotism - there is nothing meritocratic about them.

I have relatives  who attended Yale - not just because they made the entry requirements but mainly because their dad was well connected and knew how to pull strings to get them in.

Your level and way of reasoning scares the hell out of me! “It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.” I don tire o; you're taking up too much of my free time!

perhaps it scares you because for the first time in your life your false sense of security is being challenged, you actually think that you are safe, you refuse to think or even look outside the box, you are looking at the world through a "white lens" - the way white people see the world - its okay for them to look at life like that because they are protected by the system - you on the other hand are not - you are a victim in a system that does not accord you the same opportunities that it accords whites - that is the truth which you dont want to face up to.

http://abagond./2009/11/13/the-white-lens/
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by cap28: 6:22pm On Feb 13, 2010
wallie - mr grammaticology - this is for you

the great fela referring to people who think like you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwyvif9KPLU&feature=related

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by cap28: 6:59pm On Feb 13, 2010
hey mr moderator what happened to my previous post to wallie angry angry

you guys need to tell me now if nairaland is now censoring posts that it doesnt agree with so that i can go somewhere democratic.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by justwise(m): 7:11pm On Feb 13, 2010
cap28:

hey mr moderator what happened to my previous post to wallie angry angry

you guys need to tell me now if nairaland is now censoring posts that it doesnt agree with so that i can go somewhere democratic.

Calm down!! you are so paranoid, have you tried re-posting it? It happens to alot of people here not just you.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by cap28: 7:45pm On Feb 13, 2010
Quote from: Wallie on Today at 05:51:21 AM

im glad you have the sense to admit defeat when it stares you in the face. 

Ad hominem eh - wow!! impressive you can actually use words with more than one syllable - Fela was right when he ridiculed "educated"  nigerians in his famous song mr grammaticology- im sure you remember the one where he jibed that nigerians "talk oyingbo pass english man"  i bet when you use such words around your white work colleagues they look at you in amusement,  thinking jesus this guy actually thinks because he's learnt how to use our big words he's one of us.

hmm so YOU are the one who tells people that  they are not up to scratch - could that be the men in white coats who attend to you every half hour  to give you your prozac, ritalin and other anti depressants to keep you going!!!     

mr big grammar what contribution are you willing to make to the progress of your own country or are you waiting until the US govt revoke your green card.

Professor wallie  would you be so kind as to point out any of my previous posts that you take umbrage with and tell me why in your esteemed opinion they do not meet with your exceptionally high academic standards.  by the way did you change your name to wallie because your white "friends" couldnt be bothered to take the time to pronounce your name correctly or was it in order for you to fit in and seem more like "everyone else" - i laugh, i wan die     

Huh!!! for an Einstein wannabee you sure do spout a whole load of gobbledygook - get back to me when they've topped up you're medication.

"slightest resistance" - so institutionalised racism is "slightest resistance".  Now unless you've been living in a cave for the past 20 years you would be forgiven for making such an ignorant statement but i am willing to believe that you have actually lived and worked amongst black, white and other races of people and im also quite confident that you have experienced racism either directly or indirectly, be it in the workplace at college, during social interactions etc.  the united states is one of the most racially divided countries on the face of this planet, therefore racism affects almost every aspect of your life, racism dictates where you live, what sort of job you get, where you study, even whom you date or marry, therefore to dismiss racism as a "slight resistance" is not only silly it is also dangerous.  This slight resistance you refer to is what many african americans sacrificed their lives to try and eradicate, it is because of these people's bravery and courage that people like you can even have access to these so called elite institutions that you effortlessly reel off as places where only the "brilliant" can attend.  Are you aware that less than 40 years ago the closest that people who looked like you could get to these so called elite colleges was as a kitchen porter or janitor. Go and find out how recently blacks were allowed to actually attend these colleges that you hold in such high esteem.

yes i agree that you must fight for something that is worth having, but my point is, how about being honest enough to see something for what it is, lets recognise what we are dealing with instead of making excuses for other people's unmitigated racism.  If african americans had adopted your mindset they would never have fought for change in a society which refused to recognise them as american citizens, if they had your mindset they woould have continuously blamed themselves for the vicious and disgusting way that they were being treated by a white majority, they would have bowed their heads and continued to put up with the daily humiliations and degradation that they were being subjected to.

have you ever seen a situation in america where a foreign lawyer who trained and qualifed outside the US is offered a  job over a  US trained lawyer? 

have you ever seen a situation where a foreign lawyer with no prior US legal experience has been given the opportunity to learn on the job despite the abundance of american qualified lawyers who can do the same  job?

have you ever seen a situation where  a foreign lawyer who does not even have a green card is offered a job despite not attending a US law school or gaining any relevant legal experience working within a US law firm over a US qualified lawyer with five years relevant experience in the US? 

If you can answer yes to any of the above questions then perhaps i will carry on this conversation with you if no then i advise you to know when to throw in the towel and stop making a nuisance of yourself simply because of bad belle.

so what? - what is the percentage of people who benefit from scholarships in comparison to the number of people from working class backgrounds with good high school grades but who cant afford the extortionate fees charged at these elite institutions. 

i had to get a loan from a bank to attend law school which took me years to pay back - many people simply cant afford to make those kind of financial committments - but they have the ability - what happens to them?

there you go again with these your fatuous elitist arguments - didnt george bush junior go to Yale? how brilliant is he?

are you aware that many of these rich people make huge donations to these institutions thereby guaranteeing places for their offspring? - these institutions encourage cronyism and nepotism - there is nothing meritocratic about them.

I have relatives  who attended Yale - not just because they made the entry requirements but mainly because their dad was well connected and knew how to pull strings to get them in.

perhaps it scares you because for the first time in your life your false sense of security is being challenged, you actually think that you are safe, you refuse to think or even look outside the box, you are looking at the world through a "white lens" - the way white people see the world - its okay for them to look at life like that because they are protected by the system - you, on the other hand are not - you are a victim in a system that does not accord you the same opportunities that it accords whites - that is the truth which you dont want to face up to.

http://abagond./2009/11/13/the-white-lens/
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by manny4life(m): 9:41pm On Feb 13, 2010
Nigerians have these mentality that you can use scholarship to pay for school from freshman to senior year, lies. I used loan as well to go to school and I've just started to pay it off.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by lekside44(m): 9:41pm On Feb 13, 2010
jobs or no job, if you are opportune to go, do not hesitate(unless the money are rolling here for you ). at least if you do not get it rigth your children who are born there are automatic citizens and have a better chance than maybe back home. they may even come home and get the big jobs here.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by manny4life(m): 9:43pm On Feb 13, 2010
lekside44:

jobs or no job, if you are opportune to go, do not hesitate(unless the money are rolling here for you ). at least if you do not get it rigth your children who are born there are automatic citizens and have a better chance than maybe back home. they may even come home and get the big jobs here.

How you gonna go when there is no job like they say?
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by pafun(m): 10:48pm On Feb 13, 2010
lekside44:

Exactly the same kind of mentality that I was complaining about - the belief that as soon as you step out of Nigeria and into London things immediately start getting better for you. That is why we have so many Nigerians there making a nuisance of themselves and giving the country a bad name.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by manny4life(m): 11:17pm On Feb 13, 2010
pafun:

Exactly the same kind of mentality that I was complaining about - the belief that as soon as you step out of Nigeria and into London things immediately start getting better for you. That is why we have so many Nigerians there making a nuisance of themselves and giving the country a bad name.

Exactly, just like people who believe they can go to school all on scholarship, I look I laugh because if u know how many tens of millions US citizens that get financial aid yet it isn't enough, let alone few scholarships, whom do u think that it would go to; an international student who came here or a US citizen, which? That's why when they get here, they become so dissapointed and start engaging in wrongful activities such as theft, fraud and other crimes.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by kadman(m): 1:45am On Feb 14, 2010
Pafun you've said FOUR times now that you're out of this thread. . You couldn't even stick to your words, that shows the kind of person you are. Coupled with that are insults you've used like F*** you e.t.c, what are you ? 12. You couldn't even hold down one single argument logially,
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by pafun(m): 12:45pm On Feb 14, 2010
kadman:

Pafun you've said FOUR times now that you're out of this thread. . You couldn't even stick to your words, that shows the kind of person you are. Coupled with that are insults you've used like F*** you e.t.c, what are you ? 12. You couldn't even hold down one single argument logially,

4 whole times within a week and I use f words ?! Gee I must have been really angry with ppl here forgive me and thanks for following me , I am flattered grin
Sorry I don't do arguments I just say what I believe , and I believe everybody is entitled to their own opinion , so don't be shy to make yours.
Cheers.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by rman: 10:23pm On Feb 14, 2010
It amazes me how people come out to attack posters on NL even when they claim they 've a better understanding of the topic or how it should be put across.

Only a few few people gave proper response to the topic.

We have a winner in DEBOSKY response.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Between My Teaching Job And A Bank Security Job / Companies Are Using Linkedin To Search For The Right Candidates / The 419 Company Needed A Female Donkey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.