Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,238 members, 7,807,796 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:26 PM

My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. (45157 Views)

This Is The Snake Killing My Chickens & Tampering With Their Eggs In My Poultry / The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) / 20SACKS Experiment On Pumpkin(ugu) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by 00Chymes00: 12:31pm On Jul 27, 2017
I've been milling poultry feed for broilers and layers for about a month now and sell at reasonable rates (cheaper than commercial feed). Recently I and my bro decided to do some research in bid to achieve a feed formula that would meet the requirements for both DOCs and table-size birds. in order words, it's a starter, grower and finisher feed. we ordered a carton of DOCs 3 days ago and it arrived the following day. I'll be posting updates on the the experiment and hope we achieve amazing results. Cheers.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by 00Chymes00: 12:38pm On Jul 27, 2017
This is day 1. The chicks arrived safely. I already fashioned a makeshift cage for them. I used a 200watts bulb as a heat source. Their water is a mixture of ginger and garlic extract to help them produce their own body heat. Ginger and garlic extract is a very potent concoction that helps prevent a number of poultry diseases.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by 00Chymes00: 12:47pm On Jul 27, 2017
Day 2. Some of the chicks were looking sick on arrival but this morning they were doing Alot better. Today aloe vera will be introduced to their water (including ginger and garlic extract). Aloe vera is said to work wonders in birds so I decided to give it a try (everything in moderation of course).

They seem not to need a heat source but I still used a lantern just in case. Ginger and garlic extract seems to be working well. ��

1 Like

Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by 00Chymes00: 12:55pm On Jul 27, 2017
And now we have today. 27th July. Birds are as active as ever. The average weight of the birds as of yesterday was 49grams. we will weigh them again in a week to see the difference. They are on the experimental feed still.

I constructed a makeshift feeder on the sides to reduce waste and added a spoon of honey in their water today. They are steadily on ginger and garlic and aloe vera extract (all in moderation).

Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by buchhogonzalez(m): 3:21pm On Jul 27, 2017
Why newspaper?

By the way. I'm a newbie
Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by 00Chymes00: 3:39pm On Jul 27, 2017
buchhogonzalez:
Why newspaper?

By the way. I'm a newbie

The newspapers are on top of rice hulls. Since they are still young they will eat the hulls together with the feed that's why it's covered. I'll remove the papers eventually.
Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by fison(m): 3:50pm On Jul 27, 2017
Great work I must say, can you share the experiment formula?
Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by jay7(m): 4:09pm On Jul 27, 2017
Keep the work going but hope your crude protein is upto 24% and your calcium is above 1.0% per 100kg feed formula
Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by 00Chymes00: 4:24pm On Jul 27, 2017
jay7:
Keep the work going but hope your crude protein is upto 24% and your calcium is above 1.0% per 100kg feed formula

Actually it's not the % of nutrient that matters. It's the % of digestible nutrients that counts. 24% crude protein in feed doesn't necessarily mean that it's all digestible. it could only contain as little as 10%-15% digestible crude protein.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by buchhogonzalez(m): 7:55pm On Jul 27, 2017
00Chymes00:

The newspapers are on top of rice hulls. Since they are still young they will eat the hulls together with the feed that's why it's covered. I'll remove the papers eventually.
I'm expecting my birds soon. I placed papers on saw dust scrapings, i hope that would suffice.
Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by 00Chymes00: 8:06pm On Jul 27, 2017
buchhogonzalez:

I'm expecting my birds soon. I placed papers on saw dust scrapings, i hope that would suffice.

Nay. if you use saw dust at that age they will feed on it. it's best you use just paper for a few days until they can differentiate between saw dust and their feed.
Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by jay7(m): 9:21pm On Jul 27, 2017
00Chymes00:

Actually it's not the % of nutrient that matters. It's the % of digestible nutrients that counts. 24% crude protein in feed doesn't necessarily mean that it's all digestible. it could only contain as little as 10%-15% digestible crude protein.

I understand you but both matters
Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by 00Chymes00: 9:58am On Jul 28, 2017
Day 4. This is when preparations for coccidiosis vaccination begins but not for my chicks. the daily intake of ginger, garlic and aloe vera extract will take care of it. The birds are very active today and eating nonstop. No mortality.

Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by buchhogonzalez(m): 12:08pm On Jul 28, 2017
00Chymes00:

Nay. if you use saw dust at that age they will feed on it. it's best you use just paper for a few days until they can differentiate between saw dust and their feed.

How many days should I use the paper before changing to Wood scrapings (saw dust) and how often should I change the papers?

Also, what preparations should I make in the pen before the arrival of the chucks aside from the bedding and lights for them?

Is there any form of disinfecting exercise I should carry out?

1 Like

Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by 00Chymes00: 2:41pm On Jul 28, 2017
[quote author=buchhogonzalez post=58912494]

How many days should I use the paper before changing to Wood scrapings (saw dust) and how often should I change the papers?

Also, what preparations should I make in the pen before the arrival of the chucks aside from the bedding and lights for them?

Is there any form of disinfecting exercise I should carry out? [/quote

Some people use papers for about 4 days but I'll use it for a week. I change the papers every 2 days.

If you want to rare your birds organically then have ginger, garlic and aloe vera ready. Else just prepare honey water for them on the first day and start your vaccination from the 5th day or so.
Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by BUGOFF(m): 3:52pm On Jul 28, 2017
buchhogonzalez:

Is there any form of disinfecting exercise I should carry out?

i have the perfect treatment for ur pen, and its integrated - could be used in your home/farm, etc. contact me.
Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by 00Chymes00: 7:21pm On Jul 28, 2017
buchhogonzalez:

Sorry for my initial response. I didn't read your post properly. yes you can place papers on saw dust scrapings just like I placed papers on rice hulls.
Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by 00Chymes00: 7:52pm On Jul 28, 2017
Getting ready to receive your birds.

- Ensure the brooder is ready.
- Provide source of heat
- Get your feed and feeder ready
-- Good source of water and water troughs
- Get your herbs ready.

*When they arrive*

- Put on the source of heat to about 30 to 35 degree Celsius.

- Weigh the carton and divide by the number of birds in order to get the approximate weight of each bird at day old. Record this and any other data.

- Pick the bird one by one, check the navel. If not properly closed, apply aloe vera and honey. Put them on the litter.
Tag the weak ones for proper monitoring.

- serve them feed and water. Ginger, garlic and aloe vera are ok in water.
But for those ones that are weak, prepare extracts of Basil, use syringe to administer to them in conjunction with garlic, ginger and aloe vera.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by DatBenueBoi(m): 11:09pm On Jul 28, 2017
Following
Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by 00Chymes00: 12:24pm On Jul 29, 2017
Day 5: Birds are still on their concoction. They no longer require heat and are doing well. Top weight is 77g and the least is 44g. Average weight is about 68g. No mortality.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by SwitBEsther: 4:59pm On Jul 29, 2017
hi,how is the ginger,garlic and aloe vers extracted and given to them

2 Likes

Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by Pstsam0408(m): 6:40pm On Jul 29, 2017
Please help me out, my broilers are ten weeks now and their weight is not encouraging. I'm giving them good and enough feed and they are not sick. Please what can I do ?
Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by 00Chymes00: 7:59pm On Jul 29, 2017
Pstsam0408:
Please help me out, my broilers are ten weeks now and their weight is not encouraging. I'm giving them good and enough feed and they are not sick. Please what can I do ?

There could be a number of reasons. it could be the strain of your birds, worms or even the quality of your feed. I practice organic farming so I don't know much about conventional poultry. when was the last time you dewormed you birds?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by 00Chymes00: 8:03pm On Jul 29, 2017
SwitBEsther:
hi,how is the ginger,garlic and aloe vers extracted and given to them

pound the ginger and squeeze out the juice. use the juice to blend garlic and aloe vera gel in a blender. To extract gel from aloe vera plant please go to YouTube. it's very easy to do. Cheers.
Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by Chibenze(m): 8:22pm On Jul 29, 2017
00Chymes00:

There could be a number of reasons. it could be the strain of your birds, worms or even the quality of your feed. I practice organic farming so I don't know much about conventional poultry. when was the last time you dewormed you birds?
do you also deworm via organic method? if yes how and what to use?
Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by 00Chymes00: 8:44pm On Jul 29, 2017
Chibenze:
do you also deworm via organic method? if yes how and what to use?
You didn't answer my question Sir.
Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by buchhogonzalez(m): 8:55pm On Jul 29, 2017
00Chymes00:

Please what do you mean by organic farming?
Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by 00Chymes00: 9:19pm On Jul 29, 2017
buchhogonzalez:

Please what do you mean by organic farming?
Means raising Day Old broilers to table size using herbs and without vaccines.
Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by Chibenze(m): 9:40pm On Jul 29, 2017
00Chymes00:

You didn't answer my question Sir.
how? you didn't ask my any question. so how do u deworm ur bird organically?
Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by 00Chymes00: 9:56pm On Jul 29, 2017
Chibenze:

how? you didn't ask my any question.
so how do u deworm ur bird organically?

my bad. Wrong person.

To deworm your birds organically you dry and blend paw paw seeds and mix with double the quantity of water. let's say you have 15ml of the grounded seeds, you need to mix with 30ml of water. Blend the mixture for a few minutes and sieve to get the solution. Administer 100ml of the solution to 1litre of water and give your birds for 3 days. repeat after 2 weeks and repeat 2 weeks after that. it's bulletproof against worms. Cheers.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. by olamides1(m): 3:01pm On Jul 30, 2017
00Chymes00:

my bad. Wrong person.

To deworm your birds organically you dry and blend paw paw seeds and mix with double the quantity of water. let's say you have 15ml of the grounded seeds, you need to mix with 30ml of water. Blend the mixture for a few minutes and sieve to get the solution. Administer 100ml of the solution to 1litre of water and give your birds for 3 days. repeat after 2 weeks and repeat 2 weeks after that. it's bulletproof against worms. Cheers.
how old can we deworm our birds

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” / A Nigerian Farmer Displays His Harvested Cassava From His Farm, Hails Buhari / My Goat Gave Birth To A Premature Kid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.