Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,492 members, 7,808,821 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:25 PM

5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless (7844 Views)

Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? / 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible / List Of First Nigerian Professors In Various Disciplines (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by Thepasserby(m): 4:39pm On Jul 27, 2017
Nigeria is one of the few countries in the world where if you fail to study a professional course, you are as good as unemployed. Year in, year out, as the professional courses get inundated by a large population who are determined to make something good out of their lives.

There are several courses in Nigeria in which obtaining a first degree is a good as useless because your chances of getting employed are very limited by what you can be able to offer to the society.
Please Note that this is strictly the writer's opinion and observation.

1. MICROBIOLOGY:
The moment you start this course, they will try by all means to tell you about how you are relevant in every aspect of human existence on earth. You will be informed about how you can possibly make a career out of it and even solve the problems of the society. You will keep hearing such beautiful and wonderful things until you are about to leave the university. With this course, a first degree is totally useless as your chances of getting employed are minimal. By having a higher degree, you can increase your chances of being gainfully employed.

2. BIOCHEMISTRY
This is similar to its brother stated in one above. They are both birds of the same feather who naturally flock together. Your undergraduate degree is as good as useless.

3. PSYCHOLOGY
Although googling this discipline may reveal some mouth watering opportunities for the graduate, I have a bad news for you, an undergraduate degree is totally useless.

4. RELIGIOUS STUDIES

5. BIOLOGY

Feel free to include yours,
copied from www.palmchatnow.com

4 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by engrjosefz(m): 5:42pm On Jul 27, 2017
hmmmn
Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by Nltaliban(m): 6:22pm On Jul 27, 2017
Op,

the weed u smoked expired last year

I pray you don't find the pack again

16 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by OVA200(m): 6:57pm On Jul 27, 2017
Almost all of them is useless with this our unemployment rise.

3 months used Oukitel u20 plus for sale in Ibadan very neat and clean #28,000. Call or Whatsapp 08138999406.
Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by SUPERPACK: 7:42pm On Jul 27, 2017
even the one you studied is useless in this country,

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by willyo(m): 7:55pm On Jul 27, 2017
ur opinion really... but in this country(Nigeria), whatever degree u have u can work anywhere inasmuch as u know someone... so its not a waste

3 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by UnlimitedIfex(m): 8:00pm On Jul 27, 2017
Every course in dis country sef is useless xcept u get d connection, no mata d grade

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by elyte89: 8:08pm On Jul 27, 2017
Microbiology,Biochemistry,zoology,plant biology(botany), physiology, anatomy,Majority of dis courses,if u line up 10graduates from dose courses mentioned above,only 2 out of the graduates av a career path in it,odas are eida private secondary school teachers, bankers or Self employed.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by abumeinben(m): 8:09pm On Jul 27, 2017
Op your opinion might not be "faultless".

A Microbiologist works in the Nigerian Security, Printing and Minting Company, where the naira is printed. They work in the oil industry, agric industry and so on.

Of you think a Biochemist is useless, think of renewable energy, advanced drug reactions, as a pharmaceutical Biochemist, think of biochemical nutritionist....

Psychologist are best in the security wings...police, prison.

Religious study.....well.

Biology...well

8 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by chuks013: 8:28pm On Jul 27, 2017
Op u 4got 2 add wild life & forestry..abi na wetin u read 4 skol b dat grin grin grin

Cus first school leaving certificate beta pass am self

2 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by treasuremi1(m): 8:45pm On Jul 27, 2017
These courses are not entirely useless anyway. Besides it depends on what u make out of your course of study

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by OlaRolls(m): 9:19pm On Jul 27, 2017
NETWORKING IS FAR BETTER THAN NOT WORKING.
Massive Global Food Network is zealously promoting the mechanism of making life better for everyone.
One time payment of #5600 makes you a beneficiary of weekly food stuffs, and incentives like cash bonus deep freezer, motorcycle, executive car, etc.
There is more to hear in this business if you pay attention to details.
Chat me up= Olarolls 080372 72006
Stop passing over opportunities repeatedly.
See you at the top.
Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by Einl(m): 9:39pm On Jul 27, 2017
This OP is silly.

Very foolish. What makes the course useless??

When you give a fool free data and a secondhand Chinese made phone and this is what you get.

Nairaland should vet things that are posted before they're posted.

Disappointed in the OP.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by legislatively: 9:59pm On Jul 27, 2017
Be there saying microbiology is useless, my brother works with promasidor with his degree, earns 250k monthly and he hasn't done his postgraduate degree

Mumu op

2 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by HonestyDoesPay: 12:25am On Jul 28, 2017
These guys tell you they are an entertainment body in Nigeria looking for artists to submit their songs and get featured in a compilation. They entice you by telling you that you'll win 500k and after you send your song, I'm very sure they steal it cause afterwards they send you a mail claiming to have listened and that you qualified.

My cousin from Port Harcourt just sent me the mail they sent her that she qualified after they had LISTENED TO HER SONG.

Luckily for her she forwarded the mail they sent her today and I was able to see the fraud in it cause a friend from Abuja sent me same message 3 months ago about how this clowns claim that he'd qualified.

They claim they will promote your music for a token 25k, yet you're gonna win 500k, seriously who does that?

There are a lot of wolves in sheep clothing trying so desperately hard to scam gullible and zealous artists of their hard earned money under the guise of helping them.

Please note that THIS FAKE AGENCY sends this notification via facebook where they claim to be having this fictitious CD compilation project every month yet we are yet to see a winner.

PLEASE WARN ANY UPCOMING ARTIST YOU KNOW NOT TO FALL VICTIM TO THESE CHEAP SCAMMERS - AFRO CLIP MEDIA.

Enough said
Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by DONADAMS(m): 9:18am On Jul 28, 2017
in Nigeria??sorry,...I don't know what to say
Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by uzomanny(m): 5:21pm On Jul 28, 2017
legislatively:
Be there saying microbiology is useless, my brother works with promasidor with his degree, earns 250k monthly and he hasn't done his postgraduate degree

Mumu op

Please can you connect me with your brother? I am a Microbiologist in need of a job...Thanks Chief
Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by gsparks01(m): 8:06pm On Jul 28, 2017
He didn't say they're useless. He said one needs to go further (masters, PhD).
Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by Nobody: 11:31pm On Jul 28, 2017
Please Include ISLAMIC ENGINEERING avoid it like Herpes, the only place you will get a job is with BH or ISIS

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by Obudupikin: 12:33am On Jul 29, 2017
LaEvilIMiss:
Please Include ISLAMIC ENGINEERING avoid it like Herpes, the only place you will get a job is with BH or ISIS

Is there a discipline like that?
Which school?
Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by Nobody: 5:14am On Jul 29, 2017
Obudupikin:

Is there a discipline like that?
Which school?

Almajiri Schools **hint of sarcasm**

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by Michealforever: 7:25am On Jul 29, 2017
abumeinben:
Op your opinion might not be "faultless".

A Microbiologist works in the Nigerian Security, Printing and Minting Company, where the naira is printed. They work in the oil industry, agric industry and so on.

Of you think a Biochemist is useless, think of renewable energy, advanced drug reactions, as a pharmaceutical Biochemist, think of biochemical nutritionist....

Psychologist are best in the security wings...police, prison.

Religious study.....well.

Biology...well

With B.A in Religious studies, I work for Bank as first job, for a Telecom coy as second job and now in USA living in my own 4 bedroom house.

....it's all in the mind bro.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by Nobody: 7:36am On Jul 29, 2017
I disagree with biochemistry, to even have a first class in that course no be chimchim.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by abumeinben(m): 9:27am On Jul 29, 2017
Michealforever:

With B.A in Religious studies, I work for Bank as first job, for a Telecom coy as second job and now in USA living in my own 4 bedroom house.

....it's all in the mind bro.

Gbam!
Which telco?
Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:02am On Jul 29, 2017
I think you should also add marine engineering. I studied it and I will never advise anyone to do it. Getting a sailors job is very difficult and post graduate options are useless in this part of the world. If you wanna do marine engineering, make sure to get a shipping company for sponsorship before you even start and you don't even need to study marine engineering degree to work on a vessel.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by Gerrard59(m): 12:28pm On Jul 29, 2017
Another moronic fvcktard gets access to the Internet!!

With a good grade talk more a first class, you can work anywhere. Absolutely anywhere.

BTW, who says they must remain in Nigeria?
Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by Pascal679: 1:54pm On Jul 29, 2017
uzomanny:

Please can you connect me with your brother? I am a Microbiologist in need of a job...Thanks Chief
Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by shettima97835: 2:51pm On Jul 29, 2017
Does this guy really know what his saying. My neighbour studied psychology and presently works with ITF( industrial training fund). That guy drive the latest Mercedes c class and his children are schooling in one of the best school in Jos. His wife drive an expensive and fine Toyota corolla. Guy mine yourself.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jul 29, 2017
Yoruba Language grin
Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by jericco1(m): 4:16pm On Jul 29, 2017
Op I like the weed you're on.
Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by Teedawg: 8:12pm On Jul 29, 2017
in summary Nigeria is useless...

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless by shettima97835: 10:46pm On Jul 29, 2017
Momo

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News: UNIBEN Set New Date For PUTME Screening / A Thread For Kings College Lagos Old Boys. / Some Abbreviations And Acronyms.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.