Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,712 members, 7,805,932 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:39 AM

Seeking Closeness To Our Lord - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Seeking Closeness To Our Lord (2228 Views)

Benefits Of Seeking Knowledge In Islam / Seeking Refuge From The Evil Eye For Children / Indeed Merciful Is Our Lord. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by Newnas(m): 11:00pm On Jul 27, 2017
aslamu aleyka
Ya sheikh, I have question regarding the tawasul, I was telling someone that seeking tawasul at graves and asking the person who died to make dua to Allah it's wrong, he told me what is wrong with if I asked pious person during his life to make Dua and when he died I asked him to make dua what wrong with it. So I want you to clarify to me how to answer the brother, what kind Tawasul is allowed and which one not allowed since a lot people have been misguided in this Area?

Published Date: 1998-07-12

Tawassul in Arabic means seeking to draw close. Allaah says in the Qur’aan (interpretation of the meaning): “…[they] desire means of access to their Lord…” [al-Isra’ 17:57] , i.e., means of drawing close to Him. There are two types of Tawassul, correct Islamic tawassul and forbidden tawassul.

Correct Islamic tawassul:

This means seeking to draw close to Allaah through acts of worship which He loves and which please Him; these may be waajib (obligatory) or mustahabb (encouraged), and may take the form of words, actions or beliefs. Some types are as follows:

Seeking to draw close to Allaah by means of His names and attributes. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “And (all) the Most Beautiful Names belong to Allaah, so call on Him by them, and leave the company of those who belie or deny (or utter impious speech against) His names. They will be requited for what they used to do.” [al-A’raaf 7:180]. So when a person makes du’aa’ to Allaah, he begins by calling on Allaah with the name that is most apt, such as “al-Rahmaan” (the Most Merciful) when seeking mercy and al-Ghafoor (the All-Forgiving) when asking for forgiveness, and so on.

Seeking to draw close to Allaah by means of faith and Tawheed. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Our Lord! We believe in what You have sent down, and we follow the Messenger, so write us down among those who bear witness (to the truth).” [Aal ‘Imraan 3:53]

1 Like

Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by Newnas(m): 11:01pm On Jul 27, 2017
Seeking to draw close to Allaah through righteous deeds, whereby a person asks Allaah by virtue of the best deeds that he has done, such as salaah, fasting, reading Qur’aan, avoiding haraam things, and so on.

An example of this is the saheeh hadeeth narrated in the Saheehayn about the three people who entered a cave, and a rock fell and blocked their way out. They asked Allaah by virtue of their best deeds (to save them). A person may also ask Allaah by virtue of his total dependency upon Him, as Allaah mentions in the Qur’aan (interpretation of the meaning): “[Ayyoob said:] ‘Verily, distress has seized me, and You are the Most Merciful of those who show mercy.’ [al-Anbiya’ 21:83]; or by admitting his own wrongdoing and his need for Allaah, as Yoonus is described as saying (interpretation of the meaning): “ ‘None has the right to be worshipped except You (O Allaah). Glorified (and exalted) are You. Truly I have been of the wrong-doers.’” [al-Anbiya’ 21:87]

The rulings on Islamically correct tawassul vary according to its type. Some types are waajib, such as seeking to draw close to Allaah through His names and attributes and through Tawheed (believing in His absolute Oneness), and some are mustahabb, such as seeking to draw close to Him by virtue of all kinds of righteous deeds.
Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by Newnas(m): 11:02pm On Jul 27, 2017
Tawassul that is bid’ah and therefore forbidden:

This is the attempt to draw close to Allaah by means of things that He does not like and that do not please Him, whether they be words, deeds or beliefs. One example of this is trying to draw close to Allaah by calling on the dead or people who are absent, asking them for help, and so on. This is a form of major shirk ( shirk akbar ), which goes against Tawheed and means that a person is no longer considered to be a Muslim. Calling upon Allaah, whether it is for a purpose such as asking Him to grant some benefit or to ward off some harm, or as an act of worship to express humility and submission before Him, can only be addressed directly to Allaah. If du’aa’s or prayers are addressed to anything or anyone else, this is shirk. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And your Lord said: ‘Invoke
Me (and ask Me for anything), I will respond to your invocation. Verily! Those who scorn My worship [i.e., do not invoke Me and do not believe in My Oneness], they will surely enter Hell in humiliation!” [Ghaafir 40:60].

In this aayah, Allaah explains the punishment of those who arrogantly refuse to call on Allaah, whether they call on someone other than Allaah or they do not call on Him at all, out of pride and self-admiration, even if they do not call on anyone else.
Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by Newnas(m): 11:04pm On Jul 27, 2017
Allaah says of the people of Hell (interpretation of the meaning):

“[They say:] ‘By Allaah, we were truly in a manifest error when we held you (false gods) as equals (in worship) with the Lord of the Worlds.” [al-Shu’ara’ 26:96-97]

Anything that results in equating something other than Allaah with Allaah in worship or acts of obedience is shirk, the crime of associating partners with Him.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And who is more astray than one who calls (invokes) besides Allaah, such as will not answer him until the Day of Resurrection, and who are (even) unaware of their calls (invocations) to them? And when mankind are gathered (one the Day of Resurrection), they (false deities) will become enemies for them and will deny their worshipping.” [al-Ahqaaf 46:5-6]

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “ And whoever invokes (or worships) besides Allaah, any other god, of whom he has no proof, then his reckoning is only with his Lord. Surely, al-kaafiroon (the disbelievers in Allaah and in the Oneness of Allaah) will not be successful.” [al-Mu’minoon 23:117] .

Allaah states that anyone who calls on anything other than him is taking that thing as a god, as He says (interpretation of the meaning): “…And those, whom you invoke or call upon instead of Him, own not even a qitmeer (the thin membrane over a date-stone). If you invoke (or call upon) them, they hear not your call, and if (in case) they were to hear, they could not grant it (your request) to you. And on the Day of Resurrection, they will disown your worshipping them. And none can inform you (O Muhammad), like Him Who is the All-Knower (of everything).” [Faatir 35:13-14].
Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by Newnas(m): 11:05pm On Jul 27, 2017
In this aayah, Allaah explains that He is the only One Who deserves to be called upon, because He, and no one else, is the Sovereign who is directing everything.

Those things that are worshipped cannot hear du’aa’s, let alone respond to the one who invokes them, and even if they were able to hear, they cannot respond, because they do not have the power to either benefit or harm.

The mushrik Arabs whom the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was sent to call were disbelievers because of this shirk. They would call upon Allaah sincerely at times of difficulty, but they became disbelievers at times of ease and plenty, when they would call on others besides Him. Allaah says (interpretation of the meanings):

“And when they embark on a ship, they invoke Allaah, making their Faith pure for Him only, but when He brings them safely to land, behold, they give a share of their worship to others.” [al-‘Ankaboot 29:65]

“And when harm touches you upon the sea, those that you call upon besides Him vanish from you excpet Him (Allaah Alone). But when He brings you safely to land, you turn away (from Him)…” [al-Isra’ 17:67].
Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by Newnas(m): 11:06pm On Jul 27, 2017
“… till when you are in the ships and they sail with them with a favourable wind, and they are glad therein, then comes a stormy wind and the waves come to them from all sides, and they think that they are encircled therein, they invoke Allaah, making their Faith pure for Him Alone…” [Yoonus 10:33]

The shirk of some people nowadays goes even further than the shirk of people in the past, because they direct some acts of worship to something other than Allaah, calling upon them and asking them for help even at times of distress; laa hawla wa laa quwwata illa Billaah (there is no strength and no help except in Allaah). We ask Allaah to keep us safe and sound.

To sum up our response to what your friend mentioned: asking the dead for anything is shirk, and asking the living for anything that no one except Allaah is able to do, is also shirk. And Allaah knows best.

1 Like

Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by Newnas(m): 11:08pm On Jul 27, 2017
Source: https://islamqa.info/en/3297
Please read also: https://islamqa.info/en/114142
BaarakaLLaahu feekum
Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by submit: 11:13pm On Jul 27, 2017
Nailed it. Jazakhallahu khairan. Let's wait for more people to troop in
Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by Newnas(m): 11:37pm On Jul 27, 2017
submit:
Nailed it. Jazakhallahu khairan. Let's wait for more people to troop in

AlhamduliLLaah.
Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by AlBaqir(m): 2:10am On Jul 28, 2017
TAWASSUL - MEDIATION/INTERCESSION

# First, Tawassul is an act or process of seeking Allah's help or nearness to Him via a means (wasila).

Note: Quran commands and states two forms or processes of approaching Allah:

1. You go directly: "call upon Me, I will answer you", "Say, 'Allah or ar-Rahman, whichever name you use to call Him, it is good for He has the most beautiful names..."

2. You go indirectly via wasila: Quran states:

"O you who believe! Fear Allah, and seek means of nearness (wasila) to Him..." Q.5:35

# Second, Quran in several verses (most of which are already quoted by the OP) condemned the way of polytheists in calling upon their gods for help. This is different from Islamic form of Tawassul. Here a polytheist believes in the independent power of the god he took besides Allah, or even make that god as Allah.

A beautiful example out of many is the Christians and Nabi Jesus. They took him as "God", 3 in 1 i.e same as God or God who manifest in human form therefore they pray directly unto him. This form, Quran condemned, for example:

# Surah Al-Isra, Verse 57:

Those whom they call upon, themselves seek the means of access (wasila) to their Lord-- whoever of them is nearest-- and they hope for His mercy and fear His chastisement; surely the chastisement of your Lord is a thing to be cautious of"

This ayah did not only condemned the act of shrik of e.g the Christians but even exposed the validity of Tawassul.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by AlBaqir(m): 2:23am On Jul 28, 2017
# Third, Muslims generally including Salafism ideology whom Newnas represent do not have problem with Tawassul of the Prophet DURING his lifetime. There are overwhelming evidences in their books of ahadith where sahabah used the Prophet, in fact, by his very command, as wasila (means) to reach Allah in their supplications and they see instant result.

For brevity, let us cite an example:

"It was narrated from 'Uthman bin Hunaif that a blind
man came to the Prophet (Peace be upon him) and said:

"Pray to Allah to heal me." He (the Prophet) said: "If you wish to store your reward for the Hereafter, that is better, or if you wish, I will supplicate for you." He said: "Supplicate." So he (the Prophet) told him to perform ablution and do it well, to pray two Rak'ah, and to say this supplication:

"Allahumma lnni as'aluka wa atawajjahu ilaika bimuhammadin nabiyyir-rahma. Ya Muhammadu inni qad tawajjahtu bika ila rabbi fi hajati hadhihi lituqda. Allahumma fashaffi’hu fiya (O Allah, I ask of You and I turn
my face towards You by virtue of the intercession of Muhammad the Prophet of mercy. O Muhammad, I have turned to my Lord by virtue of your intercession concerning this need of mine so that it may be met. O Allah, accept his intercession concerning me)
" .

The conclusion of this Hadith states that the blind man has not even stand up from the prayer spot before Allah restore his sight.

* Ibn Majah, Tirmidhi, Ahmad, Hakim and others reported this Hadith to be AUTHENTIC.

1 Like

Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by AlBaqir(m): 2:46am On Jul 28, 2017
CAN THE DEAD HEAR AND ANSWER ?

# Fourth, AFTER the death of Nabi, can we continue using him as our mediator (wasila) in our Dua? All Muslims say YES except the Salafi. They argued that Nabi has died and cannot hear or reply back again.

* Unfortunately for this weird ideology, there is an Hadith in sahih Bukhari where after the battle of Badr, Prophet went to address the corpses of the polytheists in the pit they were to be buried.

# Narrated Ibn ‘Umar:

The Messenger of Allah spoke to the People (buried) in
the Well saying: “Have you found out that what your Lord
had promised you is true?” then someone exclaimed: “Are
you calling out to the dead!” The Prophet replied: “You do
not hear better than they do, except they do not respond
.” Sahih Bukhari, Volume 2, Book 23, Number 452

# Narrated Abu Talha:

On the day of Badr, the Prophet ordered that the corpses
of twenty four leaders of Quraish should be thrown into
one of the dirty dry wells of Badr. When he halted at the
edge of the well, he addressed the corpses of the Quraish
infidels by their names and their fathers’ names, “O so-
and-so, son of so-and-so and O so-and-so, son of so-and-
so! Would it have pleased you if you had obeyed Allah and
His Apostle? We have found true what our Lord promised
us. Have you too found true what your Lord promised
you? “‘ Umar said, “O Allah’s Apostle! You are speaking to bodies that have no souls!” Allah’s Apostle said, “By Him in Whose Hand Muhammad’s soul is, you do not hear, what I say better than they do
.”

(Qatada said, “Allah brought them to life (again) to let them hear him, to reprimand them and slight them and take revenge over them and caused them to feel remorseful and regretful.”

Sahih Bukhari, Volume 5, Book 59, Number 314

# Those were Mushriqun (polytheists) who after death could see and hear (by Allah's permission), what about believers? Qur'an states concerning the shuhada (martyrs):

And say not of those who are slain in the way of God:
“They are dead.” Nay! They are living, though you perceive (it) not
” Q.2:154

INCIDENTS AFTER THE DEMISE OF NABI

"Imam at-Tabrani has narrated an incident that a person
repeatedly visited Uthman bin Affan concerning something
he needed but Uthman paid no attention to him. The man
went to Uthman bin Hunaif and complained to him about
the matter- [Note: this was after the death of the Prophet
and after the caliphates of Abu Bakr and Umar ] so
Uthman bin Hunaif said : “Go to the place of Wudu, then
come to the Masjid, perform two Rak'ats and then say :

O Allah!, I ask you and turn to you through our Prophet Muhammad, the Prophet of Mercy. O
Muhammad! I turn through you to my Lord, that He fulfil my need
” and mention your need.

Then come so that I can go with you [to the caliph Uthman]. So the man left and did as he had been told, then went to the door of Uthman ibn Affan (Allah be pleased with him), and the doorman came, took him by the hand, brought him to Uthman ibn Affan, and seated him next to him on a cushion. 'Uthman asked, "What do you need?" and the man mentioned what he wanted, and Uthman accomplished it for him ...(till the end of hadith)
"

Sources: Imam al-Mundhiri (rah) brought this under
"SALAT AL HAJAH" and said: Imam Tabarani after
narrating it said "THIS HADITH IS SAHIH" [At-Targheeb
wa Tarheeb, Page No. 129 in the chapter of Salaat al
Hajah]

* Imam Tabrani Book : Ma'jam As Sagheer Volume : 1
Page : 306-307 Hadith number : 508

Note: Imam Tabrani, after narrating the hadith usually
doesn't say anything but in this case he specifically says
it is "Sahih"

* Imam Tabrani Book : Ma'jam Al Kabeer Volume : 9 page
: 17-19 Hadith number : 8311

* Imam al-Haythami (rah) brought this under "SALAT AL
HAJAH" also accepted the authentication of Imam Tabrani
in his Majma az Zawaid Volume No. 2, Hadith # 3668

* Imam Bayhaqi Book : Dalail An nubuwwah Volume : 6
Page : 167-168

* Ibn Taymiyyah declared it "SAHIH" in his Qa'ida al
Jaleela fit Tawassul wal Waseela

# Imagine, in every tashahhud you do during Salat, you say, "as-Salamu alayka Ayyu an-Nabi - Peace be unto you, Oh Prophet", are you talking to the dead who cannot hear or reply your salam?

# Of course, all these are by Allah's will.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by AlBaqir(m): 3:18am On Jul 28, 2017
SUPPLICATION AT THE GRAVE OF THE PROPHET

Qur'an says:
"We sent not the Messenger, but to be obeyed, in accordance with the will of Allah. If they had only, when they were unjust to themselves, come to the Messenger and asked Allah's forgiveness, and the Messenger had (also) asked forgiveness for them, they would have found Allah indeed Oft-returning, Most Merciful."
Qur'an, Surah an-Nisa, 4:64

1. Ibn Kathir endorsing Tawassul in Tafsir of above verse documents:

"Jama'at (Many scholars/congregation) have stated this tradition. One of them is Abu Mansur al-Sabbagh who writes in his book Al-Shamil Al-Hikayat-ul-mashhurah that, according to ‘Utbi, once he was sitting beside the Prophet’s grave when a bedouin came and he said, “Peace be on you, O Allah’s Messenger. I have heard that Allah says: ‘(O beloved!) And if they had come to you, when they had wronged their souls, and asked forgiveness of Allah, and the Messenger also had asked forgiveness for them, they (on the basis of this means and intercession) would have surely found Allah the Granter of repentance, extremely Merciful.’

I have come to you, asking forgiveness for my sins and I make you as my intermediary before my Lord and I have come to you for this purpose.”. Then he recited these verses: “O, the most exalted among the buried people who improved the worth of the plains and the hillocks! May I sacrifice my life for this grave which is made radiant by you, (the Prophet,) the one who is (an embodiment) of mercy and forgiveness.”

Then the bedouin went away and I fell asleep. In my dream I saw the Holy Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him). He said to me: O ‘Utbi, the bedouin is right, go and give him the good news that Allah has forgiven his sins.

Source: Ibn Kathir, Tafsir-ul-Qur'an al-azim Volume 004, Page No. 140, Under the Verse 4:64]

Note: This report has been deliberately removed from the English version of Tafsir Ibn Kathir but remain intact in the Arabic version.

2. Imam an-Nawawi said while emphatically proving Tawassul said:

(The pilgrim) should turn towards the face of the Messenger of Allah and make him a means (tawassul) for the sake of himself and also seek his intercession (shafa'at) towards reaching God. In this regard “THE BEST OF SAYINGS” is the Hikayat of Imam al-Marwadi and Qadhi Abu at-Tayb and “ALL MY OTHER ASHAAB (I.E. SHAWAFI) also narrate it by considering it HASAN/SOUND
” the narration of Utbi” i.e. A Bedouin who visited the Prophet's grave and sat beside it said: Peace unto you O Messenger of Allah, I have heard Allah has said: Had they, when they had wronged themselves, come to you and asked Allah's forgiveness and the Apostle had asked forgiveness for them, they would certainly have found Allah Most-Propitious, Most-Merciful. (Holy Qur'an 4: 64).

Therefore, I have come to you for forgiveness of my sins and seeking your intercession with Allah

source: Imam an-Nawawi in Al-Majmu', Volume No. 8, Page No. 274

3. Imam Qurtubi on Tawassul:

Its related from Abu Sadiq (ra) that Imam Ali (ra) said: "Three days after burying the Prophet (Peace Be upon him) The Araabi did come and did throw himself on the grave of the Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him), he took the earth and threw it on his head. He said: "Ya Rasulallah! (Peace Be upon him) You did speak and we did hear, you learned from Allah and we did learn from you. Between those things which Allah did send you, is following: (4:64) I am the one, which is a sinner and now I did came to you, so that you may ask for me." After that a call from the grave did came: "Theres no doubt, you are forgiven!"

Source: Tafsir al-Qurtubi, al-Jami li Ahkam al-
Quran Volume 006, Page No. 439, Under the Verse, 4:64

4. It is attributed to Dawud bin Abu Salih. He says: one day Marwan came and he saw that a man was lying down with his mouth turned close to the Prophet’s grave. Then he (Marwan) said to him, “Do you know what are you doing?” When he moved towards him, he saw that it was Abu Ayyub al-Ansari (a Sahabi). (In reply) he said, “Yes (I know) I have come to the Messenger of Allah and not to a stone. I have heard it from the Messenger of God not to cry over religion when its guardian is competent. Yes, shed tears over religion when its guardian is incompetent.

Source: Imam Hakim declared it "Sahih" while Imam Dhahabi "AGREED" with him [Al Mustadrak 4:520, Hadith # 8571]

* Ahmad bin Hambal with a sound chain of
transmission in his Musnad Volume 005: Hadith Number 422; Hakim, al-Mustadrak Volume 004: Hadith Number 515

Above hadith recorded with another chain by Imam Tabrani
* Tabrani, Book : Ma'jam Al Ausath,Vol: 1,
Page : 94, Hadith number : 284

* Taqi Ud Din Subki, Book : Shifa As Siqam, Chapter :Fasl Ath Thani ; Fi Tatabba Kalimaatihi, Volume : 1,Page : 342-343

# There many more ahadith, discussion of Sunni ulama to confirm and validate Tawassul after the demise of Nabi.

The issue has been debated in detailed on this thread:
www.nairaland.com/1995895/best-form-tawassul-intercession-using

Happy reading.

1 Like

Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by Empiree: 4:13am On Jul 28, 2017
What is the difference between Tawasul and Istigatha?. This verse you quoted albaqir {Qur'an, Surah an-Nisa, 4:64} is istgatha. What you quoted is correct actually. Watched a lecture 2yrs ago by Sheikh Rabiu Adebayo where he criticized a country he wouldn't mention its name , that the Ulama in that country tagged istigatha shirk and forbade Muslims from it. Not long after Allah dealt with them with something of nature.

He continued, 'do you have any idea the secret deal btw Allah and His messanger?. When Allah revealed the verse of Qur'an, Surah an-Nisa, 4:64, do you think you know better than Him?. He said that to the Ulama of that country but he refused to mention country's name.

1 Like

Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by ikupakuti(m): 5:47am On Jul 28, 2017
Newnas:
“… till when you are in the ships and they sail with them with a favourable wind, and they are glad therein, then comes a stormy wind and the waves come to them from all sides, and they think that they are encircled therein, they invoke Allaah, making their Faith pure for Him Alone…” [Yoonus 10:33]

The shirk of some people nowadays goes even further than the shirk of people in the past, because they direct some acts of worship to something other than Allaah, calling upon them and asking them for help even at times of distress; laa hawla wa laa quwwata illa Billaah (there is no strength and no help except in Allaah). We ask Allaah to keep us safe and sound.

To sum up our response to what your friend mentioned: asking the dead for anything is shirk, and asking the living for anything that no one except Allaah is able to do, is also shirk . And Allaah knows best.

Hmm...so, there are things that others other than ALLAH are able to do on there own ?

Can you give a list of what things ALLAH alone can do & what others too can do on their own, to avoid falling into shirk ? Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by ikupakuti(m): 6:16am On Jul 28, 2017
AlBaqir:

# Second, Quran in several verses (most of which are already quoted by the OP) condemned the way of polytheists in calling upon their gods for help. This is different from Islamic form of Tawassul. Here a polytheist believes in the independent power of the god he took besides Allah, or even make that god as Allah.

And this is the only dissimilarity. Attributing powers of acts to others other than GOD. Are muslims not taught in tawheed class that:

ﻻ فاعل فى الوجود إﻻ الله ?

A beautiful example out of many is the Christians and Nabi Jesus. They took him as "God", 3 in 1 i.e same as God or God who manifest in human form therefore they pray directly unto him. This form, Quran condemned, for example:

Those whom they call upon, themselves seek the means of access (wasila) to their Lord-- whoever of them is nearest-- and they hope for His mercy and fear His chastisement; surely the chastisement of your Lord is a thing to be cautious of"

This ayah did not only condemned the act of shrik of e.g the Christians but even exposed the validity of Tawassul.

This sums it up!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by AlBaqir(m): 6:48am On Jul 28, 2017
Empiree:
What is the difference between Tawasul and Istigatha?. This verse you quoted albaqir {Qur'an, Surah an-Nisa, 4:64} is istgatha. What you quoted ia correct actually. Watched a lecture 2yrs ago by Sheikh Rabiu Adebayo where he critisized a country he wouldnt mention its name , that the UIlama in that country tagged istigatha shirkh and forbade muslims from it. Not long after Allah dealt with them with something of nature.

He continued, 'do you have any idea the secret deal btw Allah and His messanger?. When Allah revealed the verse Qur'an, Surah an-Nisa, 4:64, do you think you know better than Him?. He said that to the Ulama of that country but he refused to mention country's name.

# Tawassul: You ask Allah by the virtue/status of X before Him.

NB: Note how the OP submit that you can use your good deeds as wasila before Allah, but deliberately kept silent on Nabi and awliya Allah. I find it very funny. Despite plenty ahadith to support using Nabi as wasila, my question is what kind of work do you have that is more worthy before Allah than His Nabi? What guarantee do you have that your work/deeds is even accepted by Allah? Even Nabi Ibrahim and nabi Ismail after constructing the Kaaba with their 100% tawhidic intention (which they were commanded to do), still prayed fervently to Allah for the acceptance of their work. Why do we declare that "my Salat, my striving, my life and my death is for Allah (alone)", yet you are using it as a leverage before Allah? I will say with boldness (and I want anybody to challenge me on this) that after Nabi narrated the story of those three individuals who were trapped in a cave, NO record of a single sahabah during or after the demise of Nabi practised such by using their "deeds" as wasila before Allah. They only use Nabi. Note, please I am not against using "deeds" as wasila, all am saying is, I don't know you but I know myself that I have nothing worthy before my Lord that I can use as wasila except Muhammad, salallahu alayhi wa ahlihi.

# Istighatha: You run to the Prophet and call upon him to do something for you (as Q.4:64 and tafsir ibn kathir explains). Your intention here is Nabi will ask Allah on your behalf, and never that Nabi is independent of that power of doing/answering.

To save time, I decided to lump the two together and not treating Istighatha as separate entity.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by AlBaqir(m): 6:54am On Jul 28, 2017
ikupakuti:

And this is the only dissimilarity. Attributing powers of acts to others other than GOD. Are muslims not taught in tawheed class that:

ﻻ فاعل فى الوجود إﻻ الله ?

This sums it up!

# Abi o

# You see these people, they will be using verses where Allah condemned the Mushriqun (polytheists) for calling upon their gods as proof against Islamic form of Tawassul. What kind of silly analogy is that?!
Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by AlBaqir(m): 7:21am On Jul 28, 2017
# Imam Ibn Qayyim:

The First Matter: "Do the dead recognize those who visit them and also hear their greetings or not? "

Ibn Abdul Barr said that it is established from the Prophet Muhammad (saw) that he said: "Any Muslim who passes by the grave of his brother whom he knew ( in the worldly life) and says 'Salaam' (Greetings) to him, then Allah (swt) grants back his/hers spirit and he even returns the greeting." Hence it is proven that the deceased recognises the visitor and also responds to the greeting. It is narrated with numerous chains in the two Saheehs (i.e. Bukhari and Muslim) that on order of Prophet (saw), a well was dug for the dead of Badr after which Prophet (saw) stood nearby and called them out as: "Ya Fulan ibn Fulan (i.e. O son of so-and-so) wa Ya Fulan ibn Fulan! Have you not found what your Lord had promised with you to be correct? As for me, I have found the promises of my Lord to be (perfectly) correct..." Umar listened to the words of Allah's Apostle (saw) and said: "Allah's Messenger, how do they listen and respond to you when they are dead and their bodies have decayed?"

Thereupon he (saw) said: "By Him who has sent me with truth, what I am saying to them, even you cannot hear more distinctly than they, but they lack the power to reply."

It is also proven from Prophet (saw) that when people return after burying the dead then he even hears their footsteps. Other than this, Prophet (saw) has taught his Ummah to say 'Salaam' to the dead by addressing them (directly) i.e."O Momineen! May peace be upon you." This type of addressing is only done to a person who can hear and understand you, otherwise this address would have been as if its addressed to someone who is not present and cannot hear (which of course is false). It has come as 'Tawatur (i.e. definitely known)' from the Salaf (the predecessors) that the dead recognise those who visit them and also become happy on their visit.

Source: Kitab Ar-Ruh. Vol. 1, Pg. # 167 -168.

# Sheik Al-Albani:

Chapter: About Seeking Forgiveness
Aws b. has reported the Messenger of Allah (saw) as saying: "Among the most excellent of your days is Friday; so invoke many blessings on me on that day, for your blessing will be submitted to me." They (the Companions) asked: "Messenger of Allah (saw), how can our blessing be submitted to you when your body is decayed?" He (saw) said: "Allah (swt) has prohibited the earth from consuming the bodies of Prophets (a.s)."
Footnote: Hadeeth is Saheeh (Authentic).
Source: Saheeh Sunan Aboo Dawood. Vol. 1,
Pg. # 290, H. # 1047.

# Imam Al-Haythami:

Narrated Abdullah ibn Masoud from the Prophet (saw) who said: "My life is good for you. You will relate to me and it will be related to you, and my death is good for you, for your actions will be presented to me. If I see goodness, I will praise Allah (swt), and if I see other than that I will ask forgiveness from Him for you."
Footnote: Narrated by Bazzar, its narrator are the narrators of Saheeh (Authentic).
Source: Majma Al-Zawa'id. Vol. 8, Pg. # 427.

# Imam Al-Bukhari:
Abu Hurayra said, "The Messenger of Allah (saw), may Allah (swt) bless him and grant him peace, forbade for someone to have both his name and his kunya. He said, 'I am Abu'l-Qasim. Allah (swt) gives and I distribute.'"
Narration is Saheeh (Authentic).
Source: Saheeh Al-Adab Al-Mufrad
Authenticated By Albani. Pg. # 315, H. # 648 / 844.
Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by submit: 8:27am On Jul 28, 2017
Saläm Alaykum... Thanks brothers.. @Albaqir, you just finish this thing with no mercy.. nawao..someone cannot play with you again?

I love a discourse with proofs. Make sense. It allows reasoning. Differentiate us from others.

May Allah accept all this as an act of ibadah. May everything we have said that is sin, be forgiven. Ameen.

Jumah Mubarak

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by Empiree: 10:55am On Jul 28, 2017
AlBaqir:

# Tawassul: You ask Allah by the virtue/status of X before Him.

NB: Note how the OP submit that you can use your good deeds as wasila before Allah, but deliberately kept silent on Nabi and awliya Allah. I find it very funny. Despite plenty ahadith to support using Nabi as wasila, my question is what kind of work do you have that is more worthy before Allah than His Nabi? What guarantee do you have that your work/deeds is even accepted by Allah? Even Nabi Ibrahim and nabi Ismail after constructing the Kaaba with their 100% tawhidic intention (which they were commanded to do), still prayed fervently to Allah for the acceptance of their work. Why do we declare that "my Salat, my striving, my life and my death is for Allah (alone)", yet you are using it as a leverage before Allah? I will say with boldness (and I want anybody to challenge me on this) that after Nabi narrated the story of those three individuals who were trapped in a cave, NO record of a single sahabah during or after the demise of Nabi practised such by using their "deeds" as wasila before Allah. They only use Nabi. Note, please I am not against using "deeds" as wasila, all am saying is, I don't know you but I know myself that I have nothing worthy before my Lord that I can use as wasila except Muhammad, salallahu alayhi wa ahlihi.

# Istighatha: You run to the Prophet and call upon him to do something for you (as Q.4:64 and tafsir ibn kathir explains). Your intention here is Nabi will ask Allah on your behalf, and never that Nabi is independent of that power of doing/answering.

To save time, I decided to lump the two together and not treating Istighatha as separate entity.
Do we even have "good deeds" today? Many do "good deeds" in this day and age for the cause of something. You can hardly find fisabilillah now. It is always for something or the other.

Even our salat everyday is not a guarantee. Man even prays salat as fast as federal express and think off every time in salat. Allah never guarantees anyone's salat is accepted. The only thing we know for sure is if we send salams on the prophet(saw) even without wudu, times 10 of that is blessed with us instantly. So myself noticed that he avoided tawasul of Nabi and Awliya. Tawasul of nabi(saw) is so important that the four madhab made it obligatory to send salam on nabi after at-tahiyat in every obligatory salah. Op's method is, tawasul of nabi(sw) was only valid when he was alive and hereafter. But we also see another hadith where nabi(saw) reported to have said 'his life and death is good for us.'

The Prophet said, upon him blessings and peace: "My life is a great good for you, you will relate about me and it will be related to you, and my death is a great good for you, your actions will be exhibited to me, and if I see goodness I will praise Allah, and if I see evil I will ask forgiveness of Him for you."

Narrated from Ibn Mas`ûd by al-Bazzâr in his Musnad (5:308-309 §1925) with a sound chain of trustworthy narrators. But Albany declared it weak n his edition of Fad.l al-S.alât. The hadith has further tafsir

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by Raintaker(m): 12:55pm On Jul 28, 2017
Empiree:
What is the difference between Tawasul and Istigatha?. This verse you quoted albaqir {Qur'an, Surah an-Nisa, 4:64} is istgatha. What you quoted is correct actually. Watched a lecture 2yrs ago by Sheikh Rabiu Adebayo where he criticized a country he wouldn't mention its name , that the Ulama in that country tagged istigatha shirk and forbade Muslims from it. Not long after Allah dealt with them with something of nature.

He continued, 'do you have any idea the secret deal btw Allah and His messanger?. When Allah revealed the verse of Qur'an, Surah an-Nisa, 4:64, do you think you know better than Him?. He said that to the Ulama of that country but he refused to mention country's name.
The country is Indonesia, they had a terrible tsunami the other time.
Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by Empiree: 2:48pm On Jul 28, 2017
Raintaker:
The country is Indonesia, they had a terrible tsunami the other time.
Really?. It is them?. Would love to read materials of their ulama on istigatha prior to tsunami if you have idea. That's interesting.
Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by Newnas(m): 5:30pm On Jul 28, 2017
AlBaqir:

# First, Tawassul is an act or process of seeking Allah's help or nearness to Him via a means (wasila).

Note:[s] Quran commands and states two forms or processes of approaching Allah:

1. You go directly: "call upon Me, I will answer you", "Say, 'Allah or ar-Rahman, whichever name you use to call Him, it is good for He has the most beautiful names..."

[/so]

2. You go indirectly via wasila: Quran states:

"O you who believe! Fear Allah, and [b]seek means of nearness (wasila) to
Him..." Q.5:3

[s]
# Second, Quran in several verses (most of which are already quoted by the OP) condemned the way of polytheists in calling upon their gods for help. This is different from Islamic form of Tawassul. Here a polytheist believes in the independent power of the god he took besides Allah, or even make that god as Allah. [/s]

The verse of Isra is an evidence against you not for you.

Allah condemned the polytheists who worshipped righteous people such as the Christians and told them that even these righteous people whom the kuffar call on besides Allah seek also a means of closeness to Allah. So don't call them, rather call on Allah alone not those pious people.
Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by Newnas(m): 5:33pm On Jul 28, 2017
Surah Az-Zumar, Verse 3:
أَلَا لِلَّهِ الدِّينُ الْخَالِصُ وَالَّذِينَ اتَّخَذُوا مِن دُونِهِ أَوْلِيَاءَ مَا نَعْبُدُهُمْ إِلَّا لِيُقَرِّبُونَا إِلَى اللَّهِ زُلْفَىٰ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يَحْكُمُ بَيْنَهُمْ فِي مَا هُمْ فِيهِ يَخْتَلِفُونَ إِنَّ اللَّهَ لَا يَهْدِي مَنْ هُوَ كَاذِبٌ كَفَّارٌ

Surely, the religion (i.e. the worship and the obedience) is for Allah only. And those who take Auliya' (protectors and helpers) besides Him (say): "We worship them only that they may bring us near to Allah." Verily, Allah will judge between them concerning that wherein they differ. Truly, Allah guides not him who is a liar, and a disbeliever.
(English - Mohsin Khan)

via iQuran

So, the verse explains that calling other than Allah is clear disbelief even if the callers claim that they are only intermediary to take them closer to Allah.

1 Like

Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by AlBaqir(m): 6:41pm On Jul 28, 2017
Newnas:

The verse of Isra is an evidence against you not for you.

Allah condemned the polytheists who worshipped righteous people such as the Christians and told them that even these righteous people whom the kuffar call on besides Allah seek also a means of closeness to Allah. So don't call them, rather call on Allah alone not those pious people.

# That is what? Wasila meaning they do Tawassul. @ underlined.

# Obviously your biggest problem is fanatical blindness. The ayah is clear and nobody deny Allah condemned calling upon other than Him. Here, our focus is Tawassul: it is not calling upon other than Allah, rather it is using something as an intermediary/wasila to reach Allah.

Clear evidences are before you.
Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by AlBaqir(m): 6:46pm On Jul 28, 2017
Newnas:
Surah Az-Zumar, Verse 3:
أَلَا لِلَّهِ الدِّينُ الْخَالِصُ وَالَّذِينَ اتَّخَذُوا مِن دُونِهِ أَوْلِيَاءَ مَا نَعْبُدُهُمْ إِلَّا لِيُقَرِّبُونَا إِلَى اللَّهِ زُلْفَىٰ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يَحْكُمُ بَيْنَهُمْ فِي مَا هُمْ فِيهِ يَخْتَلِفُونَ إِنَّ اللَّهَ لَا يَهْدِي مَنْ هُوَ كَاذِبٌ كَفَّارٌ

Surely, the religion (i.e. the worship and the obedience) is for Allah only. And those who take Auliya' (protectors and helpers) besides Him (say): "We worship them only that they may bring us near to Allah." Verily, Allah will judge between them concerning that wherein they differ. Truly, Allah guides not him who is a liar, and a disbeliever.
(English - Mohsin Khan)

via iQuran

So, the verse explains that calling other than Allah is clear disbelief even if the callers claim that they are only intermediary to take them closer to Allah.

# Again, you are lost. Here you are quoting ayah that expose Mushriqun who worship other than Allah, who take their gods as Protector and Helper other than Allah. Is this what Muslims who practice Tawassul do?

# Was that the instructions of Nabi to the blind man? Was that the instructions of Uthman Ibn Hunaif to that man?

# Really, Newnas you are lost. If you don't know what to comment, you can excuse yourself. No be by force.
Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by Raintaker(m): 7:12pm On Jul 28, 2017
Empiree:
Really?. It is them?. Would love to read materials of their ulama on istigatha prior to tsunami if you have idea. That's interesting.
I don't have the materials of their ulama on istigatha.
Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by Newnas(m): 8:25pm On Jul 28, 2017
AlBaqir:

# Again, you are lost. Here you are quoting ayah that expose Mushriqun who worship other than Allah, who take their gods as Protector and Helper other than Allah. Is this what Muslims who practice Tawassul do?

Oh Yes, that's what they do!

There are numerous videos of your misguided shia brothers shouting: Yaa Husayn, labbayka Yaa Husayn.

Yaa Husayn is closer and easier to their evil tongues than Yaa Allah both in distress and ease.

And your bigotry prevented you from remembering the story of the girl singing: Shehu Buraymo gbami oo... Baba n kawla gbami oo

subhanaLLaah, this is pure shirk and polytheism.

I have Sufi neighbors who call upon their sheikhs saying: Shehu niyass lo le she... baba lo le she... a ni baba nla leyin wa and similar evil speeches!

So what have you left for Allah in your worship if you have given all these to your filthy sheikhs

# Was that the instructions of Nabi to the blind man? Was that the instructions of Uthman Ibn Hunaif to that man?

# Really, Newnas you are lost. If you don't know what to comment, you can excuse yourself. No be by force.

Don't derail the topic with your shia misguidance and nonsense.
Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by Empiree: 8:31pm On Jul 28, 2017
Raintaker:
I don't have the materials of their ulama on istigatha.
ok
Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by AlBaqir(m): 8:40pm On Jul 28, 2017
Newnas:

Oh Yes, that's what they do!

There are numerous videos of your misguided shia brothers shouting: Yaa Husayn, labbayka Yaa Husayn.

Yaa Husayn is closer and easier to their evil tongues than Yaa Allah both in distress and ease.

# For Allah's sake why are you running away from your sahih ahadith? Here's what we found:

"Allahumma lnni as'aluka wa atawajjahu ilaika
bimuhammadin nabiyyir-rahma. YA MUHAMMAD inni qad tawajjahtu bika ila rabbi fi hajati hadhihi lituqda
"

In your corrupt sense, is "YA MUHAMMAD" as thought by Nabi in that Hadith shrik (polytheism)?

# In retrospect, you need to provide evidence for us that those who are shouting "Ya Hussein" in exact remittance of "YA MUHAMMAD" took Hussein as God and that they are worshipping Hussein.

# The fastest way for you to win this argument is to declare that what Nabi thought which sahabah practised in saying "YA MUHAMMAD" was shrik (polytheism), and wallahi, I will forever shut my mouth up.

# "Labaeka Ya Hussein (at your service, Oh Hussein)", obviously that's a response to "something". And it is the call/cry of Hussein in Karbala, "Is there anyone who will assist and help and join my struggle?".

# Your propaganda and evil wish is to equate that slogan with "Labaeka Ya Allah" which Hajis (pilgrims) often shout in responding to the call of their Lord at Hajj in Makkah. So, trying to equate the two is a failed attempt.

Newnas:

Don't derail the topic with your shia misguidance and nonsense.

# Who is derailing? With what am I derailing with. Like I said you are confused that's why you don't even know what to comment again.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Seeking Closeness To Our Lord by Newnas(m): 9:15pm On Jul 28, 2017
AlBaqir:

# For Allah's sake why are you running away from your sahih ahadith? Here's what we found:

"Allahumma lnni as'aluka wa atawajjahu ilaika
bimuhammadin nabiyyir-rahma. YA MUHAMMAD inni qad tawajjahtu bika ila rabbi fi hajati hadhihi lituqda
"

In your corrupt sense, is "YA MUHAMMAD" as thought by Nabi in that Hadith shrik (polytheism)?

# In retrospect, you need to provide evidence for us that those who are shouting "Ya Hussein" in exact remittance of "YA MUHAMMAD" took Hussein as God and that they are worshipping Hussein.

# The fastest way for you to win this argument is to declare that what Nabi thought which sahabah practised in saying "YA MUHAMMAD" was shrik (polytheism), and wallahi, I will forever shut my mouth up.

# "Labaeka Ya Hussein", obviously that's a response to "something". And it is the call/cry of Hussein in Karbala, "Is there anyone who will assist and help and join my struggle?".

Your propaganda and evil wish is to equate that slogan with "Labaeka Ya Allah" which Hajis often shout in responding to the call of their Lord at Hajj.

# Who is derailing? With what am I derailing with. Like I said you are confused that's why you don't even know what to comment again.

Well Muhammad was alive but Husayn is dead! So, this hadith points to the permissible tawassul: asking a living pious person to pray for you.

Not calling on the dead. Otherwise bring one -just one- authentic report of a member of household who did this your innovated tawassul after the death of the Messenger alyhissolaat wassalaam.

Muhammad is a prophet, Husayn is not.

A number of scholars have mentioned this hadith among the signs of prophet hood.
I won't be surprised if you say Husayn is more virtuos that the prophets.

The shia have greater evil claims, like saying Jibreel made mistake, Ali was the true owner of prophet hood. subhanaLLaah .

Muhammad receives revelations, Husayn doesn't!

Allah could have given him a specific order which is special to him and this particular case not to anyone else.

Also, the man said: accept his intercession for me and my intercession for him.
Do you say anything similar to that in your evil tawassul.

Then the man didn't even sit in his house, and start seeking tawassul or calling ya Muhammad or lola anabi etc. Rather he went to him alyhissolaat wassalaam and said : "pray for me"

They are not equatable!

And lastly but most importantly:

You erased the beginning of the hadith where the Messenger alyhissolaat wassalaam promised to pray for the man.

The people of sunnah know that Muhammad alyhissolaat wassalaam will not break his promise, meaning that he prayed for the man. Then the man asked Allah to accept that dua of the prophet alyhissolaat wassalaam.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Being A Singer, Is It A God Given Talent ? / How I Nearly Became A Christian Yesterday / A sincere Apology to all Nairaland Muslims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.