Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,034 members, 7,807,088 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:22 AM

John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam (43857 Views)

John Fashanu: I Earn N5 Million Monthly As Ex - England Player / Amal Fashanu, My Daughter Pays The Bills - John Fashanu (Photos) / John Fashanu Dressed As Donald Trump At US Election Party In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by Freebrowsing12(m): 6:07am On Jul 29, 2017
John Fashanu held in Nigerian hell-hole jail pen with 200 other prisoners after being accused of land scam

The former Wimbledon and England star spent two days locked up with 200 others as officers investigated claims he acted as a fixer in a scam to sell plots that were not for sale

[img]https://3.bp..com/-bM6cncKU5pM/WXwQzkA_s_I/AAAAAAADwe4/HaACmIy_adgDmK94XDby_RoteWHwLrk-gCLcBGAs/s1600/Untitled.jpg[/img]

John Fashanu was left in a Nigerian jail pen with 200 others after being held over an alleged dodgy land deal, police have revealed.

The former Wimbledon and England star spent two days locked up as officers investigated claims he acted as a fixer in a scam to sell plots that were not for sale.

He was arrested at his home on the Sun City Estate, in the capital Abuja, and taken in on suspicion of “criminal conspiracy”, detectives said.

It is alleged that earlier this year the former I’m a Celeb favourite acted for a friend looking to buy land.

The pal claims he was told by Fashanu, 54, of two contacts who would help with buying “forgotten lands” – plots owned by chiefs that the state were unaware of.

He was allegedly given £23,000 in cash to fix the deal with his “boys”. But when the new “owner” went to claim his land, it is alleged he found it not for sale and not in the hands of local chiefs.

Fash, who once fronted Nigeria’s version of Deal or No Deal, was taken before a superintendent last week to explain himself before being left in a packed pen, police sources said.

Officers are now looking for the other two men said to be involved. It is believed they are still in Nigeria, where the average yearly wage is £1,600 (660,000 Nairi).

Fashanu has agreed to pay the money back, although he denies wrongdoing.
A source close to the former Gladiators presenter said last night: “This is a business deal between friends that has gone south and the police were asked to basically mediate.

“It will all be sorted very quickly. It was just a business deal.”

It is understood Fashanu was released after surrendering his British passport and agreeing to pay back a first instalment of the money.

Sources said he looked to sell some of his cars to raise the cash as he waited for funds from his numerous business interests to clear in his bank account.

The London-born celebrity’s Nigerian barrister Hyp Egbune confirmed he had this week paid a second instalment of the money owed.

He said: “The matter is being resolved. He won’t be charged to court is my understanding.

“We are repaying the money and that should settle this matter.

“The person who made the complaint has been a mutual friend for quite a number of years and we are more interested in keeping that relationship so we are making amends. We hope to do that as soon as we can. It is quite a lot of money so we hope to do it as soon as we can. We want to have this resolved.”

Nigerian police Deputy Inspector General Hyacinth Dagala said: “John Fashanu was arrested on July 17 in connection with an allegation of criminal conspiracy and obtaining the sum of N9,550,000 [Nigerian Naira] under false pretence.

“He was granted administrative bail on July 18 but because of his inability to produce the requisite surety on that day, he remained in detention until July 19 when he was released.”

Fashanu is a respected businessman and philanthropist, who now has the grand title of Ambassador in his adopted nation. Once said to be worth upwards of £6million, he spends his days in Nigeria cutting business deals, hanging out with politicians and fighting to stop people trafficking.

He and third wife, TV personality Rachel Bakam, are regulars on the social scene at glitzy parties.

Last year, the couple were given chieftaincy titles. Fashanu became Ofia-Afulu-Agu of Okwe Kingdom (meaning The Forest that Contains the Lion) and his wife Ugo-Di-Namba of Okwe Kingdom (Beautiful Eagle Queen from Another Kingdom).

Fash has been a UN ambassador for Nigeria, a Unicef goodwill ambassador for 53 African countries and a former board member of the Nigeria Football Association.

During his playing days, in 1997, he was acquitted in a high-profile match-fixing trial along with goalkeepers Bruce Grobbelaar and Hans Segers. In 2015 he was arrested over an unlicensed gun found in his Nigerian house during a police raid. He ended up paying a fine.

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/john-fashanu-held-nigerian-jail-10892876.amp

1 Like

Re: John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by Freebrowsing12(m): 6:08am On Jul 29, 2017
I know mods will remove my link but see more below

Read More @> http://trendinghelm..com/2017/07/john-fashanu-arrested-overalleged-land.html

6 Likes

Re: John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by smartty68(m): 6:17am On Jul 29, 2017
Ok

2 Likes

Re: John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by eyeview: 6:42am On Jul 29, 2017
I wonder how long it will take people to realize that John Fashanu is just nothing but a scammer with a foreign accent

66 Likes 2 Shares

Re: John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by Nobody: 6:52am On Jul 29, 2017
who is he?

6 Likes

Re: John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by Nobody: 6:59am On Jul 29, 2017
Trust me, he intentionally scammed the buyer, is there anything like "forgotten land" in Abuja? The money used to pay him would have gotten a small genuine piece of land.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by sathel(m): 7:16am On Jul 29, 2017
most of this so called "rich men/guys" are scammers

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by Leonbonapart(m): 11:47am On Jul 29, 2017
This is worth applauding. If Nigeria police should react swiftly to every criminal case like this regardless of who is involve then Nigeria should have long been a lawful country... kudos

Less I forget, don't misuse or abuse the word "LEGEND".... John Fashanu never came closer

56 Likes 4 Shares

Re: John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by Nobody: 11:47am On Jul 29, 2017
cry
Re: John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by Samrj: 11:47am On Jul 29, 2017
Petty thief

2 Likes

Re: John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by NNAMDlKANU(m): 11:47am On Jul 29, 2017
John Fashanu

skull mining, scam , thuggery, stealing, swearing, noise making , are their traits

I no wan laugh abeg

70 Likes 3 Shares

Re: John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by Silentscreamer(f): 11:49am On Jul 29, 2017
Re: John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by demarc001: 11:50am On Jul 29, 2017
Maka why

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by SmellingAnus(m): 11:50am On Jul 29, 2017
I don't think he is a scammer, it could be a possible case of a business that got sour, besides, he has agreed to pay back the cash and has made some payments already... Most scammers will hardly want to pay back instead they will prefer that the matter should be taken to court where it is a no man's land grin...

18 Likes

Re: John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by robosky02(m): 11:50am On Jul 29, 2017
ok

1 Like

Re: John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by dumie(f): 11:50am On Jul 29, 2017
He finally met his waterloo, after breaking so many hearts

2 Likes

Re: John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by domopps(m): 11:50am On Jul 29, 2017
Yahoo boy legend .....

Cheers

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by Mydazz(m): 11:51am On Jul 29, 2017
How is John Fashanu a legend ? I really do not understand

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by slyd90(m): 11:51am On Jul 29, 2017
Face of a scammer.......after promising the most valuable player of Fash football heaven and earth yet i see the poor bros roaming the street... ......Surely he deserves what he get..

1 Like

Re: John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by Buking1: 11:51am On Jul 29, 2017

Re: John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by burkingx(f): 11:51am On Jul 29, 2017
shocked

1 Like

Re: John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by burkingx(f): 11:51am On Jul 29, 2017
shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by kenzysmith: 11:52am On Jul 29, 2017
Fashunu pls go to ur england wen we needed u did nt play 4 us

3 Likes

Re: John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by falcon01: 11:52am On Jul 29, 2017
crime rate is on the increase
Re: John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by MTKbudapest(m): 11:52am On Jul 29, 2017
afonjas with scam

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by ZorGBUooeh: 11:53am On Jul 29, 2017
Am not surprised hiz an Afonja,a proper omoluabi.Dats wot they are known for SCAM,RITUALS ad RAPE
Dia celebrities ad politicians are all criminals ad ex convict dammy krane, saucekid,baba suwe,tinubu,kemi olunyolo,Seun egbebe that dia barawo actor that likes stealing ad many of dia actresses arrested for drugs wey I no fit remember dem afonja name.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by henryhemon(m): 11:53am On Jul 29, 2017
Dude is very rich don't know why he soiled his hands in scams. He's my neighbour in Sun city,he oppress us with his classy cars. All that glitters isn't truly gold.

3 Likes

Re: John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by hoseamatoh(m): 11:54am On Jul 29, 2017
eyeview:
I wonder how long it will take people to realize that John Fashanu is just nothing but a scammer with a foreign accent

The foreign ascent no even dey again, person wey write this news sha, he played one match for England and you re calling him England star.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by Nobody: 11:55am On Jul 29, 2017
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: John Fashanu Arrested Over Land Scam by OkoYibo: 11:55am On Jul 29, 2017
NNAMDlKANU:
John Fashanu

skull mining, scam , thuggery, stealing, swearing, noise making , are their traits

I no wan laugh abeg

Behind every Yoruba criminal, you have ipod yoots supporting him.

That's why you saw that Ipods Fashanu was rewarded with chieftaincy titles for a crime well committed.

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup: Nigeria Vs Canada 3 - 1 (Full Time) / Usain Bolt & Kasi Bennett Welcome Twins: Saint Leo & Thunder Bolt / PSG confirms Messi's departure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.