Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,515 members, 7,808,879 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:33 PM

Meet The Best Maintained Longest Running Cars On Nigerian Roads…owned By One Man - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Meet The Best Maintained Longest Running Cars On Nigerian Roads…owned By One Man (1616 Views)

What Comes To Your Mind When You See These Cars On The Road? (PHOTOS) / 5 Ways To Identify Bullet Proof Cars On Nigerian Roads. / 5 Ways To Identify Bullet Proof Cars On Nigerian Roads. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet The Best Maintained Longest Running Cars On Nigerian Roads…owned By One Man by naijacarlovers: 10:51am On Jul 31, 2017
Finding cars that have successfully run consistently for more than 10 years and still in very great conditions on Nigerian roads is a rare feat. This becomes more difficult if the car has been in the ownership of one person.

Yes, we get to find some mostly commercial vehicles still running around though in bad conditions and can never pass any integrity test especially with their engines, suspension and emissions systems.

Several factors like bad Nigerian roads, dirty environment, poorly trained mechanics that also do not follow standards and largely unpredictable income flow all gang up lead to this situation rampant.

The average lifespan of cars on Nigerian roads for private individuals rarely get to 8 years and the cars would be puffing and grinding, barely able to match foreign used equivalents of the same year.

There is even this joke that Nigerians can never export cars used on Nigerian roads to other countries just like we buy foreign used ones.

It was a massive pleasure for me to be called upon to run comprehensive diagnosis on two cars owned by the same individual that lives at Enugu.

I went from Lagos to do these tests.

The first is a 2004 Toyota Corolla that was bought brand new the year it came out meaning that the car has clocked 13 years of daily active duty on Nigerian roads. After using it for a long time he bequeathed the car to his son who now uses it at Asaba.

The second is a Toyota Landcruiser bought brand new in 2000 and still in active duty this day meaning that the car has clocked 17 years of active duty on Nigerian roads.Guess what?

I ran a scan on the engines and none of them threw a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) and even their Fuel Trims were not far from the factory specs.

The only issue with the Corolla was that the local mechanic at Asaba had adjusted the RPM so it is now slightly above normal.

Then the only issue with the Landcruiser was that the special hydraulic suspension was recently messed up by the mechanic too at Enugu but i have sorted that out to a very great extent.

Another beautiful thing is that the bodies of these cars are still in great conditions unexpected for cars used daily on our roads.

I celebrate the man and his son for their diligence and zeal in taking great care of these cars despite the times and clime.

Though in other climes, cars have been documented to have clocked upto 1,000,000 miles (1,600,000km) and more. Some of which are listed by Wikipedia…..“in 2013, Irv Gordon had accumulated 3 million miles in his 1966 Volvo P1800. [5] In 2006, a 1995 Dodge Ram was reported to Chrysler as having gone 1 million miles.[6]

A 1976 Mercedes-Benz 240D in Greece of Gregorios Sachinidis has reached 2,858,307 miles[7] before retiring to the Mercedes-Benz Museum in Germany.

A 1989 Saab 900 SPG belonging to Peter Gilbert of Wisconsin had put in 1,001,385 miles before it was donated to the Wisconsin Automotive Museum.

Another was the 1963 Volkswagen Beetle belonging to Albert Klein of Pasadena, California that had accumulated 1,442,044 miles on 25 Jan 1993.[8]“

Recently i did an article about a Toyota Tundra that just clocked 1,000,000 miles and the owner was given a brand new 2016 truck so his own could be taken back to the factory for ‘debriefing’.

Last year, a client invited me to run a pre-purchase inspection for a Toyota Camry he wanted to buy and i saw 350,000miles on the odometer which they cleverly hid under the Trip A function then broke off the stalk. Trust me, i used something to poke inside and got the actual reading, converted it and got 560,000km and it was a Nigerian used car, i did the scan and saw loads of DTC, you can bet what i did next, i ran with the client.

So you see why it is good we celebrate our own ‘high-mileage’veterans on Nigerian roads.

If you know of any car that needs to be celebrated, please do get in touch with us.

P.S

I apologise for not including more pictures of the Landcruiser, i forgot to take more shots when i finished the job, as it took me just a few hours to sort it out.

Culled from www.naijacarlovers.com

Re: Meet The Best Maintained Longest Running Cars On Nigerian Roads…owned By One Man by princetom1(m): 10:57am On Jul 31, 2017
naijacarlovers:
Finding cars that have successfully run consistently for more than 10 years and still in very great conditions on Nigerian roads is a rare feat. This becomes more difficult if the car has been in the ownership of one person.

Yes, we get to find some mostly commercial vehicles still running around though in bad conditions and can never pass any integrity test especially with their engines, suspension and emissions systems.

Several factors like bad Nigerian roads, dirty environment, poorly trained mechanics that also do not follow standards and largely unpredictable income flow all gang up lead to this situation rampant.

The average lifespan of cars on Nigerian roads for private individuals rarely get to 8 years and the cars would be puffing and grinding, barely able to match foreign used equivalents of the same year.

There is even this joke that Nigerians can never export cars used on Nigerian roads to other countries just like we buy foreign used ones.

It was a massive pleasure for me to be called upon to run comprehensive diagnosis on two cars owned by the same individual that lives at Enugu.

I went from Lagos to do these tests.

The first is a 2004 Toyota Corolla that was bought brand new the year it came out meaning that the car has clocked 13 years of daily active duty on Nigerian roads. After using it for a long time he bequeathed the car to his son who now uses it at Asaba.

The second is a Toyota Landcruiser bought brand new in 2000 and still in active duty this day meaning that the car has clocked 17 years of active duty on Nigerian roads.Guess what?

I ran a scan on the engines and none of them threw a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) and even their Fuel Trims were not far from the factory specs.

The only issue with the Corolla was that the local mechanic at Asaba had adjusted the RPM so it is now slightly above normal.

Then the only issue with the Landcruiser was that the special hydraulic suspension was recently messed up by the mechanic too at Enugu but i have sorted that out to a very great extent.

Another beautiful thing is that the bodies of these cars are still in great conditions unexpected for cars used daily on our roads.

I celebrate the man and his son for their diligence and zeal in taking great care of these cars despite the times and clime.

Though in other climes, cars have been documented to have clocked upto 1,000,000 miles (1,600,000km) and more. Some of which are listed by Wikipedia…..“in 2013, Irv Gordon had accumulated 3 million miles in his 1966 Volvo P1800. [5] In 2006, a 1995 Dodge Ram was reported to Chrysler as having gone 1 million miles.[6]

A 1976 Mercedes-Benz 240D in Greece of Gregorios Sachinidis has reached 2,858,307 miles[7] before retiring to the Mercedes-Benz Museum in Germany.

A 1989 Saab 900 SPG belonging to Peter Gilbert of Wisconsin had put in 1,001,385 miles before it was donated to the Wisconsin Automotive Museum.

Another was the 1963 Volkswagen Beetle belonging to Albert Klein of Pasadena, California that had accumulated 1,442,044 miles on 25 Jan 1993.[8]“

Recently i did an article about a Toyota Tundra that just clocked 1,000,000 miles and the owner was given a brand new 2016 truck so his own could be taken back to the factory for ‘debriefing’.

Last year, a client invited me to run a pre-purchase inspection for a Toyota Camry he wanted to buy and i saw 350,000miles on the odometer which they cleverly hid under the Trip A function then broke off the stalk. Trust me, i used something to poke inside and got the actual reading, converted it and got 560,000km and it was a Nigerian used car, i did the scan and saw loads of DTC, you can bet what i did next, i ran with the client.

So you see why it is good we celebrate our own ‘high-mileage’veterans on Nigerian roads.

If you know of any car that needs to be celebrated, please do get in touch with us.

P.S

I apologise for not including more pictures of the Landcruiser, i forgot to take more shots when i finished the job, as it took me just a few hours to sort it out.

Culled from www.naijacarlovers.com

If u are close to me, i would have Flo u this morning. Whats d mileage? For all we know, it might be use for picking up his children from the oda street daily. Awwwwww angry

3 Likes

Re: Meet The Best Maintained Longest Running Cars On Nigerian Roads…owned By One Man by naijacarlovers: 2:35pm On Jul 31, 2017
princetom1:

If u are close to me, i would have Flo u this morning. Whats d mileage? For all we know, it might be use for picking up his children from the oda street daily. Awwwwww angry

Come and flog me with money. I de my house.

Back to the topic. The Corolla is nearly 169,000 and the Land cruiser nearly 157,000 km. Both cars see highway driving bro.

Are you aware that our cars in Nigeria see more 'idle mileage' than rolling mileage? This is because of sitting in traffic. The distances we cover daily are not like you get in USA. The average driver in Lagos does about 60/70 km round trip to and fro work combined.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Best Maintained Longest Running Cars On Nigerian Roads…owned By One Man by dokiOloye(m): 11:16am On Aug 01, 2017
naijacarlovers:

Come and flog me with money. I de my house.

Back to the topic. The Corolla is nearly 169,000 and the Land cruiser nearly 157,000 km. Both cars see highway driving bro.

Are you aware that our cars in Nigeria see more 'idle mileage' than rolling mileage? This is because of sitting in traffic. The distances we cover daily are not like you get in USA. The average driver in Lagos does about 60/70 km round trip to and fro work combined.
Which one is idle mileage
Do car odometers run when a car is on but stationary

3 Likes

Re: Meet The Best Maintained Longest Running Cars On Nigerian Roads…owned By One Man by Nobody: 1:06pm On Aug 01, 2017
My 2003 Peugeot 206 bought brand new has almost 200,000km. About 194,000km or so right now and it's as clean as a whistle. Not a single fault apart from occasional aircon issues. Seems you haven't been around a lot to be hyping the corolla and land cruiser.
Re: Meet The Best Maintained Longest Running Cars On Nigerian Roads…owned By One Man by naijacarlovers: 4:50pm On Aug 01, 2017
Aqva:
My 2003 Peugeot 206 bought brand new has almost 200,000km. About 194,000km or so right now and it's as clean as a whistle. Not a single fault apart from occasional aircon issues. Seems you haven't been around a lot to be hyping the corolla and land cruiser.

That's good to know. Please send me a mail let's talk.

I didn't set out hyping Toyota bro. Just a coincidence. Who knows, yours might make the list.
Re: Meet The Best Maintained Longest Running Cars On Nigerian Roads…owned By One Man by aasunmoh(m): 8:46pm On Aug 01, 2017
1992 honda accord... bought brandnew
Still in top condition till this day
270,704 km odometer reading

1 Like

Re: Meet The Best Maintained Longest Running Cars On Nigerian Roads…owned By One Man by naijacarlovers: 9:53pm On Aug 01, 2017
aasunmoh:
1992 honda accord... bought brandnew
Still in top condition till this day
270,704 km odometer reading

This is awesome. Lets communicate. Email. I sent to you.

(1) (Reply)

Saw This Accident Few Minutes Ago Around Yinka Aiyefele Radio Station B4 Challen / ......2005 C240 A/C Compressor..... / Electric Power Steering Check On Lexus Rx 350 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.