Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,699 members, 7,802,069 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:40 AM

The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review (18765 Views)

Extract From The BOOK 12 Rules Of Life ~ Godfather Movie ~ Be A Man / J.K RANDLE The Godfather Never Sleeps Needed Pls !! / Tears - story by mario (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by petermuller(m): 5:23pm On Jul 31, 2017
“The epic tales of crime and betrayal”

This book is a fiction (crime) novel written by Italian American author Mario Puzo. It’s based on the Mafia world. It was released in 1969 and the screen adaptation won numerous awards, most notably ‘the academy award for best adapted screenplay’ in 1972.

The book features the legendary Corleone family in New York City (Long Beach) who came in as migrants from Italy in the 1920s, this book is about the rise of a man from relatively nothing to something and his efforts to keep his sand castle upright. It explains the underground criminal world in great details.

Don Vito, as he is regularly addressed in the society is the head of one of four families in the mafia families in New York. Is a man of wit and outstanding character, having built his empire from careful manipulation, he sees things crumbling when he was attacked by another mafia family (Virgil Sollozzo), who was in a quest to take his territory and expand business.

After his first son got killed, there was a void left to fill as who will lead the family his immature children or his foster child?

The book is a perfect mix of family, betrayal, revenge, and survival, and is an easy path for imaginative thinking, with the way the writer kept the character web well organised and vast. The book’s setting was mainly New York and there were a few actions in the Old Italian town of Sicily, where the Corleone family were originated.

The question to be asked in this book is if truly there were characters in the real world who were into this nature of activity. As time went on, numerous crime families in America were exposed and their dealings were found to be very similar to the one explained in the book. Part of such families were the Colombo family, the Los Angeles Crime Family. The level of crime reported in this book are not actually overrated as they were mostly research and testimonies made by members who turned against their Mafias. The book explains most misused and misunderstood terminologies in the society today, like; the capo, soldiers, Consigliere, associates and informants.

The book vast character list makes it very easy to relate to as you would find your personality in one or many of them.

For me, and most reviewers, the godfather is a MUST READ, for lovers of crime fiction and if you are not, then you might want to give it a try, although one of the deterrents of people from reading this book is the volume. But this shouldn’t be a problem if you are an avid reader or you simply want something to relax, and step into the crime world and know what exactly “crime” entails.

For more book reviews visit www.revhaven.com

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jul 31, 2017
One of my favourite books. The sequel of Godfather is the Sicilian and it's a must read.

4 Likes

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Petik8(m): 11:33pm On Jul 31, 2017
opal4real:
One of my favourite books. The sequel of Godfather is the Sicilian and it's a must read.

were can I get it

1 Like

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Nobody: 9:39pm On Aug 01, 2017
Petik8:

were can I get it

One of those bookshops at MM2 ( Local Airport )
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by czarina(f): 6:29am On Aug 02, 2017
I love this book, kept reading it under the cloak of darkness with my torchlight while men slept, dem for kill me had they caught me reading 'all these oyibo brown bad books'. I was fourteen. I need to read this book again.

3 Likes

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by hucienda: 6:30am On Aug 02, 2017
'unputdownable'.

A classic one can read over and over again yet hardly get weary.

3 Likes

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by MightySparrow: 6:31am On Aug 02, 2017
opal4real:

Then The Last Don.

3 Likes

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Zeze06(m): 6:32am On Aug 02, 2017
Best book ever / also the last Don

1 Like

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by KingTom(m): 6:33am On Aug 02, 2017
MightySparrow:

Then The Last Don.
Another Must read

4 Likes

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Zeze06(m): 6:33am On Aug 02, 2017
Best book ever / and the last Don..
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by metroid(m): 6:35am On Aug 02, 2017
I own a copy of the Audio book Read by Joe Motegna.
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Enoquin(f): 6:36am On Aug 02, 2017
opal4real:

The Sicilian made me angry for days...the betrayal was angry cry
Oh those days when I couldn't be parted from a book

2 Likes

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by sportark(m): 6:36am On Aug 02, 2017
To d sons n uncles,oica.

3 Likes

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by sayentease(m): 6:37am On Aug 02, 2017
una dey jobless abi?
a book from 1970's
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by czarina(f): 6:38am On Aug 02, 2017
metroid:
I own a copy of the Audio book Read by Joe Motegna.
can I pm you? I need that book
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by ameri9ja: 6:42am On Aug 02, 2017
I'm mystified. How did this make front page?

2 Likes

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by LordHiffy(m): 6:43am On Aug 02, 2017
I've seen the movie too, The Godfather 1-3 an its one of the best movies I've ever watched

3 Likes

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by MightySparrow: 6:47am On Aug 02, 2017
KingTom:
Another Must read
Yea
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by zicky(m): 6:47am On Aug 02, 2017
"The Family" is another must read by Mario puzo
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Dexema(m): 6:51am On Aug 02, 2017
Unfortunately I won't be interested in reading the book anymore after watching part 1-3 of the movie. Part 1 and 2 were the most interesting for me.

1 Like

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Nobody: 6:53am On Aug 02, 2017
NICE BOOK.........the book made me to read "MAFIA's 1st 100 YEARS" by William Bal-something
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by passey: 7:00am On Aug 02, 2017
I will make you an offer you can't refuse!

16 Likes

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by lifeispeace: 7:04am On Aug 02, 2017
Have you read the last don also by the same author?
Damn! I was glued to the novel till I finished it...
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Maxymilliano(m): 7:10am On Aug 02, 2017
Omerta by same author is another interesting read

5 Likes

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Afe11: 7:11am On Aug 02, 2017
OMERTÀ cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by mebad(m): 7:12am On Aug 02, 2017
Mario Puzo , a master story teller

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by elysian777: 7:15am On Aug 02, 2017
Its a book every book reader must have on his bookshelf. Have read virtually all the Puzos,from Godfather,Last Don ,Fools Die,Omerta,The Fourth K,The Sicilian.So far the Godfather is the masterpiece, never seen anything like it.Never has anything been written in form of a book about the mafia like it.Have seen the movie countless times,I don't ever get tired of watching,eveytime its brand new.Its my late father's favorite,for every time we sit down to watch it together,its always a good time for him to counsel me.He tells the morals behind each scene,and how walking the wrong path in life can end you in destruction. Even though I didn't take to most of his counsels then,but at the end of it I learnt in the hard way.Will advice anyone to start with the book first then watch the movie.
His books can be gotten at Ojuelegba axis in Lagos,though most are pirated,if you are lucky you can get the original used books from this guys that sell at Yaba and Ojuelegba.
Its a must have and keep.
Puzo is a highly talented writer, he sure knows how to take you into his world.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Ojemedad: 7:21am On Aug 02, 2017
The best movie I've watched till date is "The godfather,1-3"..
I can watch this movie 100 times everyday without getting bored.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Awoo88: 7:22am On Aug 02, 2017
Enoquin:

The Sicilian made me angry for days...the betrayal was angry cry
Oh those days when I couldn't be parted from a book
The killing of the main character by his most trusted friend is one part I wished was written differently

2 Likes

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by igahdavid(m): 7:23am On Aug 02, 2017
elysian777:
Its a book every book reader must have on his bookshelf. Have read virtually all the Puzos,from Godfather,Last Don ,Fools Die,Omerta,The Fourth K,The Sicilian.So far the Godfather is the masterpiece, never seen anything like it.Never has anything been written in form of a book about the mafia like it.Have seen the movie countless times,I don't ever get tired of watching,eveytime its brand new.Its my late father's favorite,for every time we sit down to watch it together,its always a good time for him to counsel me.He tells the morals behind each scene,and how walking the wrong path in life can end you in destruction. Even though I didn't take to most of his counsels then,but at the end of it I learnt in the hard way.Will advice anyone to start with the book first then watch the movie.
His books can be gotten at Ojuelegba axis in Lagos,though most are pirated,if you are lucky you can get the original used books from this guys that sell at Yaba and Ojuelegba.
Its a must have and keep.
Puzo is a highly talented writer, he sure knows how to take you into his world.

Mario Puzo was the BOMB back in the days. He is a great storyteller. This reminds me of The Sicillian - another masterpiece.. He just takes you into the mafian world
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Ojemedad: 7:24am On Aug 02, 2017
More godfather quotes

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Ojemedad: 7:25am On Aug 02, 2017
more

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Loving Tyler / Get any Book you want free of charge (drop requests) / Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.