Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,706 members, 7,805,896 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:11 AM

To Whom It May Concern (job Applications & What I've Experienced So Far) PART II - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / To Whom It May Concern (job Applications & What I've Experienced So Far) PART II (1114 Views)

How To Follow-Up On Job Applications / 4 Reasons You Don't Get Interviews After Your Job Applications / To Whom It May Concern (why You Need A Good CV & What I've Experienced So Far) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Whom It May Concern (job Applications & What I've Experienced So Far) PART II by Appliedmaths(m): 5:52am On Aug 01, 2017
Greetings beautiful people, personally the past two months have been full of events but all thanks to God, the show goes on.

The CV review process is gradually coming to an end with about 4-5 more cases to go then I call it a day (actually months), and so far so good over 300 cases has been treated without prejudice.

N.B: All CV's would be discarded August 30th 2017.

Recent Observations

I was opportune to handle another recruitment process (Posting of job ad and filtering CV's for interview) which was posted here on nairaland and boy oh' boy it's like most job seekers are either lazy, un-serious, dependent on connections or simply overfed. For Christ sake how long do you want to keep being the rookie? There are materials everywhere, there are good hands willing to assist but most job seekers still choose to be the rookie, the novice, the one that never knows anything even after being in the system for long.

Honestly, I know to secure a job or even earn a living is difficult and requires God's mercies but I also know that if you want to attract God's mercies you have to position yourself, ever heard that statement "God don't like ugly?" The purpose of my write ups is to point out areas form real life work experience where job seekers get it wrong (shoot themselves in the leg) and wonder why the jobs or invites are not coming.

You can't send a job application via email with no subject mail, no cover letter, poorly formatted CV's, multiple applications (some would send their CV's morning and night, na medicine you dey take), the most annoying one is when an applicant has that "sent from iPhone 50" thingy attached to his/her mail, like I'm supposed to come to your house with an offer letter because you use an iPhone?

So here are some pointers before sending a job application via email (which are centred around having a good CV in the first place) ...

1. Always use a subject mail, and this subject mail should be the position you're applying for. There are cases where you'll be asked to use a reference code as subject mails but if that condition wasn't stated please use the position being applied for as your subject mail. Never ever ever submit a job application without a subject mail.

2. A cover letter should always accompany your mail, and this is the place where you want to appeal to the recruiters conscience, to make a statement. It may interest you to know that most times recruiters are excited on meeting candidates with sound contents in their cover letters and CV's. That's why I don't collect money to help write CV's, I want you to be creative too, I want you to think and open the creative section of you.

3. Multiple applications would disqualify you in most cases. it's not a prescription nor a daily dosage, don't send in your CV in the morning and night, then the following morning again. You'll be disqualified.

4. Always use an Internet browser to send your official mails, using the phones emailing app would attach their customised signature and that's why that annoying text "sent from BlackBerry 10 smartphone" accompanies your application. You can change the settings, but just be on the safer side.

Moving forward...
To the other set of job seekers, who have nailed all the personal tests and checked all boxes (good CV's, good cover letters, good aptitude test skills, good interview skills) or you want to change your job and the offers coming in are not encouraging, I think it's time you want to network.

I call it the power of "referrals." Do you know that every recruiting organisation always have two set of candidates, the "referred" candidates and the "other candidates", oh let me burst your head. Do you know that in some cases sef, the referred candidates are assessed on different days form the other candidates?

I remember when I began my "official" job search I got two referrals here on Nairaland (top multinationals), I don't wanna mention their names but one still mentors me till date and thank God for her she's going higher everyday we speak. Referrals would save you a seat amongst the front benches but here's why it's different from "man-know-man." In man know man, you don't need to have the skills to be employed, but in referrals you have been pushed to be among first people to be considered if you have the required skills, you don't wanna know how many people who posses the same set of skills as you do. To continue my story, no I didn't get the referral jobs as at then and trust me e pain me die, guess you know why now (that's why I don't want others to make the same mistake).

In recent times I see colleagues changing jobs even without recruitment, I see fresh graduates getting Referrals some get the job while some don't. So asides the regular job application process you might wanna network, connect with sound minds, you may be ignored but keep going. For fresh graduates you might wanna volunteer (tops 3 months).

So my people this is where I draw the curtains, till next time.

End note: Securing a job isn't the peak of one's life, heck it's not even a guarantee to a happy old age but there's always a stepping stone, a starting point to achieving other things. My posts are 100% real life experience culled from my previous to current work environment.

1 Like

Re: To Whom It May Concern (job Applications & What I've Experienced So Far) PART II by overflow1: 7:24am On Aug 01, 2017
Thank you for your advice sir, I have been neglecting the part of Cover letter. I am a 2.1 graduate of Chemical Engineering, I am still searching for a job. I Will be very grateful if you mentor me.

1 Like

Re: To Whom It May Concern (job Applications & What I've Experienced So Far) PART II by FreeSpirited: 8:00am On Aug 01, 2017
Joblessness can actually lead to laziness.
Re: To Whom It May Concern (job Applications & What I've Experienced So Far) PART II by Dashenka(f): 8:15am On Aug 01, 2017
Thank you. When sending cover letters to a direct email, is it adviceable to send as an attachment or as the body of the mail?
Appliedmaths:
Greetings beautiful people, personally the past two months have been full of events but all thanks to God, the show goes on.

The CV review process is gradually coming to an end with about 4-5 more cases to go then I call it a day (actually months), and so far so good over 300 cases has been treated without prejudice.

N.B: All CV's would be discarded August 30th 2017.

Recent Observations

I was opportune to handle another recruitment process (Posting of job ad and filtering CV's for interview) which was posted here on nairaland and boy oh' boy it's like most job seekers are either lazy, un-serious, dependent on connections or simply overfed. For Christ sake how long do you want to keep being the rookie? There are materials everywhere, there are good hands willing to assist but most job seekers still choose to be the rookie, the novice, the one that never knows anything even after being in the system for long.

Honestly, I know to secure a job or even earn a living is difficult and requires God's mercies but I also know that if you want to attract God's mercies you have to position yourself, ever heard that statement "God don't like ugly?" The purpose of my write ups is to point out areas form real life work experience where job seekers get it wrong (shoot themselves in the leg) and wonder why the jobs or invites are not coming.

You can't send a job application via email with no subject mail, no cover letter, poorly formatted CV's, multiple applications (some would send their CV's morning and night, na medicine you dey take), the most annoying one is when an applicant has that "sent from iPhone 50" thingy attached to his/her mail, like I'm supposed to come to your house with an offer letter because you use an iPhone?

So here are some pointers before sending a job application via email (which are centred around having a good CV in the first place) ...

1. Always use a subject mail, and this subject mail should be the position you're applying for. There are cases where you'll be asked to use a reference code as subject mails but if that condition wasn't stated please use the position being applied for as your subject mail. Never ever ever submit a job application without a subject mail.

2. A cover letter should always accompany your mail, and this is the place where you want to appeal to the recruiters conscience, to make a statement. It may interest you to know that most times recruiters are excited on meeting candidates with sound contents in their cover letters and CV's. That's why I don't collect money to help write CV's, I want you to be creative too, I want you to think and open the creative section of you.

3. Multiple applications would disqualify you in most cases. it's not a prescription nor a daily dosage, don't send in your CV in the morning and night, then the following morning again. You'll be disqualified.

4. Always use an Internet browser to send your official mails, using the phones emailing app would attach their customised signature and that's why that annoying text "sent from BlackBerry 10 smartphone" accompanies your application. You can change the settings, but just be on the safer side.

Moving forward...
To the other set of job seekers, who have nailed all the personal tests and checked all boxes (good CV's, good cover letters, good aptitude test skills, good interview skills) or you want to change your job and the offers coming in are not encouraging, I think it's time you want to network.

I call it the power of "referrals." Do you know that every recruiting organisation always have two set of candidates, the "referred" candidates and the "other candidates", oh let me burst your head. Do you know that in some cases sef, the referred candidates are assessed on different days form the other candidates?

I remember when I began my "official" job search I got two referrals here on Nairaland (top multinationals), I don't wanna mention their names but one still mentors me till date and thank God for her she's going higher everyday we speak. Referrals would save you a seat amongst the front benches but here's why it's different from "man-know-man." In man know man, you don't need to have the skills to be employed, but in referrals you have been pushed to be among first people to be considered if you have the required skills, you don't wanna know how many people who posses the same set of skills as you do. To continue my story, no I didn't get the referral jobs as at then and trust me e pain me die, guess you know why now (that's why I don't want others to make the same mistake).

In recent times I see colleagues changing jobs even without recruitment, I see fresh graduates getting Referrals some get the job while some don't. So asides the regular job application process you might wanna network, connect with sound minds, you may be ignored but keep going. For fresh graduates you might wanna volunteer (tops 3 months).

So my people this is where I draw the curtains, till next time.

End note: Securing a job isn't the peak of one's life, heck it's not even a guarantee to a happy old age but there's always a stepping stone, a starting point to achieving other things. My posts are 100% real life experience culled from my previous to current work environment.

1 Like

Re: To Whom It May Concern (job Applications & What I've Experienced So Far) PART II by iykofias(m): 8:35am On Aug 01, 2017
Good advice, but 85% of online recruitments are sham

1 Like

Re: To Whom It May Concern (job Applications & What I've Experienced So Far) PART II by Appliedmaths(m): 9:47pm On Aug 01, 2017
Dashenka:
Thank you. When sending cover letters to a direct email, is it adviceable to send as an attachment or as the body of the mail?

Unless when it's clearly stated the you should attach the cover letter, please always paste as the body of the mail.

1 Like

Re: To Whom It May Concern (job Applications & What I've Experienced So Far) PART II by Appliedmaths(m): 9:49pm On Aug 01, 2017
iykofias:
Good advice, but 85% of online recruitments are sham

I feel you though but three are too many testimonies that keeps the faith going.

1 Like

Re: To Whom It May Concern (job Applications & What I've Experienced So Far) PART II by CaptainKool15(m): 11:24am On Aug 02, 2017
Appliedmaths:

I feel you though but three are too many testimonies that keeps the faith going.

Good morning, thank you for the good job.

I really need your help as regards my CV. I have used various CV review sites but I don't seem to trust them cuz they are automated.

My email is : aymat4real@gmail.com though I have sent a pm.

Thanks.
Re: To Whom It May Concern (job Applications & What I've Experienced So Far) PART II by missyojo(f): 11:33am On Aug 02, 2017
Thanks OP, well noted. Please I have some questions to ask. In a situation where it's clearly stated that only CV should be sent, do one need to write a cover letter too? And secondly, when a firms name nor address is not specified how do one address the cover letter.
Thanks
Re: To Whom It May Concern (job Applications & What I've Experienced So Far) PART II by Appliedmaths(m): 5:31pm On Aug 02, 2017
missyojo:
Thanks OP, well noted. Please I have some questions to ask. In a situation where it's clearly stated that only CV should be sent, do one need to write a cover letter too? And secondly, when a firms name nor address is not specified how do one address the cover letter.
Thanks

When the firm's address wasn't posted alongside the job advert which is what's evident in most cases the cover letter should be kept generic and simple.

Dear Hiring Manager,

and you close with yours sincerely then your name. Always send a job application with a cover letter, thanks!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Reckitt Benckiser (Dettol) Manangement trainee program (RB Mavericks 2017) / Earn N50,000 To N300,000 Monthly. Part-time positions. Nationwide Openings. / Interview Invitation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.