Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,864 members, 7,806,456 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:48 PM

The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? (3470 Views)

Do You Believe In God? What Is The Name Of Your God? / Those Doubting The Existence Of God,what Is The Source Of Supernatural Powers / Famous People Who Mocked God & What Happened To Them! A Must Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by Amby: 8:52am On Feb 09, 2007
I am astonished that there are people that actually raise this question: “Should one or should one not call the Blessed Virgin the Mother of God”? Because if Our Lord Jesus Christ is God, how could the Virgin who gave birth to Him not be the Mother of God? This is the belief that has been passed down to us by the Holy Apostles, even if they did not use this specific term. This is the teaching that we have received from the Holy Fathers,

The Blessed Virgin is truly the Mother of God since she supernaturally gave birth to the Christ, the Savior, who has taken on our flesh and our blood, and who on the human level, comes from the same substance as His Mother and ourselves.

At the same time, He is on the divine, consubstantial level of God the Father, i.e. His substance is that of the Father and not "like" that of the Father.

Fellow Nairalanders, what do you think?
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by lafile(m): 9:12am On Feb 09, 2007
Last time i checked, Jesus was both God and Man. The Man Jesus was born of Mary, yes. But was God who existed before the foundations of the Earth was laid ever born?
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by Amby: 9:58am On Feb 09, 2007
But was God who existed before the foundations of the Earth was laid ever born?

Yes because of God's desire to bring us back to Himself (salvation of man), He took the human form and was born of the Blessed Virgin Mary. He came to dwell among us and show us the way (He is the way, the truth, and the life; no one goes to the father except through Him).
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by Amby: 10:38am On Feb 09, 2007
Tracing from the history of salvation right from the point Adam and Eve were thrown out of the garden of Eden, God, in His infinite love and mercy, has always sought for a way of bringing His people back to Himself.

This history of God's love and salvation of man started when God started appearing to the people in the form of cloud, fire, and thunder using His great people like Abraham & Moses. The people gets scared of His presence when He appears, repent of their sins but go back to their sinful life when they do not see him.

God now, in the secon salvation history, empowered His prophets with His words and send them down to the world to live with the people and constantly remind them of the way to holy life and fear of God. Did the people listen to these prophets? No.

God now came down (Jesus Christ), took the human form, from a woman (Virgin Mary, already prepared by God) to show us the way to salvation. He taught us all we need to know in the journey of life, using His own life as example. She (Mary) was there from the point of His birth to His death, close to His heart, carried Him (Jesus) in her powerful arm both at point of birth and death.

After His crucifision and resurrection, He promised sending the paraclete (the holy spirit) to the apostles who will teach,even the ones He has not taught, lead us to the knowledge of the truth and reveal all hidden things. The church of God stands on this power today. She (Mary) was in the midst of the apostles when the Holy spirit came down on the apostles, still playing her powerful role as the mother of the church & God.
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by Amby: 10:44am On Feb 09, 2007
Tracing from the history of salvation right from the point Adam and Eve were thrown out of the garden of Eden, God, in His infinite love and mercy, has always sought for a way of bringing His people back to Himself.

This history of God's love and salvation of man started when God started appearing to the people in the form of cloud, fire, and thunder using His great people like Abraham & Moses. The people get scared of His presence when He appears, repent of their sins but go back to their sinful life when they do not see him.

God now, in the second salvation history, empowered His prophets with His words and sent them down to the world to live with the people and constantly remind them of the way to holy life and fear of God. Did the people listen to these prophets? No.

God now came down (Jesus Christ), took the human form, from a woman (Virgin Mary, already prepared by God) to show us the way to salvation. He taught us all we need to know in the journey of life, using His own life as example. She (Mary) was there from the point of His birth to His death, close to His heart, carried Him (Jesus) in her powerful arms both at point of birth and death.

After His crucifixion and resurrection, He promised sending the paraclete (the holy spirit) to the apostles who will teach,even the ones He has not taught, lead us to the knowledge of the truth and reveal all hidden things. The church of God stands on this power today. She (Mary) was in the midst of the apostles when the Holy spirit came down on the apostles, still playing her powerful role as the mother of the church & God.
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by lafile(m): 11:18am On Feb 09, 2007
This is what i meant. A person is only the mother of what originates inside of her. The human Jesus Originated in Mary's womb. Not God. Same reason we know that though Jesus was called the Son of David (Luke 1:32: He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David), David most definitely cannot be called the Father of God.
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by belloti(m): 1:09pm On Feb 09, 2007
I have always wondered what blinded christians to call Jesus God and Mary Mother of God. How can the Almighty creator have a mother, who is suppose to be his creation too. You ve got to accept the fact that God can never have a mother
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by barikade: 1:27pm On Feb 09, 2007
@Amby,

Amby:

I am astonished that there are people that actually raise this question: “Should one or should one not call the Blessed Virgin the Mother of God”? Because if Our Lord Jesus Christ is God, how could the Virgin who gave birth to Him not be the Mother of God? This is the belief that has been passed down to us by the Holy Apostles, even if they did not use this specific term. This is the teaching that we have received from the Holy Fathers,

Hi Amby. Mary was never called the mother of God by any one of the Holy Apostles, whether they used the specific term or not. Not one line of Scripture suggests that at all. The Church Fathers had ideas that differed greatly from the inspired Word of God; and one may not use their ideas to justify what was never taught by the apostles.

I'll give you an example. St. Ignasius of Antioch (aka Ignatius Theophoros, AD.35-?) severally affirms the deity of Jesus Christ as the apostles taught. For instance, in the introduction of his epistle to the Romans, we read -

"Ignatius, also called Theophorus, to the Church that has found mercy in the transcendent Majesty of the Most High Father and of Jesus Christ, His only Son; the church by the will of Him who willed all things that exist, beloved and illuminated through the faith and love of Jesus Christ our God;. . .Heartiest good wishes for unimpaired joy in Jesus Christ our God, to those who are united in flesh and spirit by every commandment of His; who imperturbably enjoy the full measure of God's grace and have every foreign stain filtered out of them."

Then again, in verse 3 of the same epistle, he says: "Our God Jesus Christ certainly is the more clearly seen now that He is in the Father."

However, it is remarkable that in the NT, the only One called the "Word of God" (the divine Logos) is Jesus Christ (John 1:1 & Rev. 19:13). No other person was called by that title in the entire Bible.

But then, how would you defend Ignatius' use of that term  for himself in the same epistle to the Romans? This is what he said in verse 2 of that epistle - "For, if you quietly ignore me, I am the word of God; but if you fall in love with my human nature, I shall, on the contrary, be a mere sound."

So, when you make reference to the Holy Fathers, please be careful what you are affirming.

Amby:

The Blessed Virgin is truly the Mother of God since she supernaturally gave birth to the Christ, the Savior, who has taken on our flesh and our blood, and who on the human level, comes from the same substance as His Mother and ourselves.

Not one time was Mary called "the Mother of God." The reason why that statement is overblown is because the Spirit of God did not suggest such a notion anywhere in Scripture. Infact, here's a small puzzle for you:

In Mark 3:35 Jesus said: "For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother." Now if Mary the mother of Jesus could be called "Mother of God", could anyone of you chaps in the Catholic Church call yourselves "Sister of God" or "Brother of God" - according to Jesus' statement in that verse?

If none of you could honestly call yourselves by that term, what is the basis of calling Mary what the Scriptures do not state at all?

Regards.
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by barikade: 1:36pm On Feb 09, 2007
@belloti,

belloti:

I have always wondered what blinded christians to call Jesus God and Mary Mother of God. How can the Almighty creator have a mother, who is suppose to be his creation too. You ve got to accept the fact that God can never have a mother

Christians are not blind to call Jesus God - the problem was with Muhammad who was so blind as not to have seen the Old Testament prophesies about Christ who in Isaiah 9:6 is called "the mighty God!" Muhammad had an agenda to deny the true Person of Jesus Christ, and that is why he did not make any reference to the prophet Isaiah at all.

Even when the Qur'an affirms and applauds the Psalms of David, we have asked you Muslims to be kind enough to show us what the original Psalms say; but you guys are silent - because you really don't know. However, in Psalm 2:12, the propeht David referred to the Messiah as the divine "Son" in whom people will be blessed if they put their trust in HIM!

Again, you are right - the Almighty God cannot have (and never had) anyone of His creature referred to as "Mother of God". That is a Roman Catholic Church doctrine; and not all Christians believe in such a doctrine - because it is not taught anywhere in the Bible.

Regards.
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by Amby: 2:30pm On Feb 09, 2007
: bari_kade

Hi Amby. Mary was never called the mother of God

I quite appreciate your contribution to this trend but I will like to refer you to just one scriptural quote "why should this great thing happen to me, that my Lord's mother comes to visit me?" (Luke 1:43). ELizabeth's utterance as was inspired by the holy spirit when Mary visited her.

Understand the role of this woman (Virgin Mary) in our salvation. This role is scripturally exemplified at the first recorded miracle of Jesus; where, at the marriage feast in Cana and by the the humble request of His mother (Mary), He turned water into wine. This generally summarise her role in salvation; pleading and interceding on behalf of God's people, her children. She does this even when we are unawre just as the couple didn't know she understood their need and mediated on their behalf.

We need to open our spiritual eyes and not rely on our human intelligence in understanding the scripture and God. God is far greater than what we can think.
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by lafile(m): 2:50pm On Feb 09, 2007
Mary? Role in our salvation? c'mon

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

1 Thess 5:9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ.
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by barikade: 3:15pm On Feb 09, 2007
@Amby,

Amby:

I quite appreciate your contribution to this trend but I will like to refer you to just one scriptural quote "why should this great thing happen to me, that my Lord's mother comes to visit me?" (Luke 1:43). ELizabeth's utterance as was inspired by the holy spirit when Mary visited her.

Indeed, Luke 1:43 records Elizabeth's utterance as calling Mary's "my Lord'[/b]s mother" - which is not to be misconstrued for the same thing as calling Mary the Mother of [b]God! I would really appreciate it if you have a reference as well for the latter, where she was indeed called "Mother of God" - a title which none of the apostles used for her in establishing doctrine for the Church. We find that she is simply called "Mary his mother" (Luke 2:34), or "the mother of Jesus" (John 2:1 & 3), or "Mary the mother of Jesus" (Acts 1:14). Indeed, we ought to ask, "is not his mother called Mary?" (Matt. 13:55) rather than suggest what she is not called.

The fact that Jesus did not once refer to Mary as the "Mother of God" should help us understand that the title was never intended to be used for her. Instead, the Lord Jesus rather gave us something to think about in Mark 3 when He asked, "Who is my mother, or my brethren?" (vs. 33). If we are to confess Mary as Mother of "God", then why does the Catholic Church shy away from following the implication of the subsequent verses in Mark 3?

And what about Mary's testimony? She herself said, "And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour" (Luke 1:47). Question: would Mary be saying that she gave birth to "God her Saviour"?

Amby:

Understand the role of this woman (Virgin Mary) in our salvation. This role is scripturally exemplified at the first recorded miracle of Jesus; where, at the marriage feast in Cana and by the the humble request of His mother (Mary), He turned water into wine. This generally summarise her role in salvation; pleading and interceding on behalf of God's people, her children. She does this even when we are unawre just as the couple didn't know she understood their need and mediated on their behalf.

Not one to subscribe to notions that cannot be defend from Scripture, I'd rather stick what is taught in God's Word. As far as I know, there is only One mediator between God and men - and that is Jesus Christ (I Tim. 2:5). Mary is never said to be an intercessor, and she has no prominent place among the apostles and early Christians (Acts 1:14 again - "These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren"wink.

Why do you suppose that Jesus did not set His mother as one of the 12 apostles? And why did He not leave a specific instruction for the apostles to seek Him or God through His mother?

The case of John 2 was about a wedding, and not about the quest for salvation.

Amby:

We need to open our spiritual eyes and not rely on our human intelligence in understanding the scripture and God. God is far greater than what we can think.

No matter how much we have our spiritual eyes opened, I hope we will only see what God's Word say, and not what it does not teach.

Regards.
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by belloti(m): 5:04pm On Feb 09, 2007
Just sort yourselves out. Where is Baby, the learned girl?
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by Amby: 5:10pm On Feb 09, 2007
bari_kade

Indeed, Luke 1:43 records Elizabeth's utterance as calling Mary's "my Lord's mother" - which is not to be misconstrued for the same thing as calling Mary the Mother of God

This brings us to the fundamental issue of belief in the Father, son and the Holy Spirit.
Can you differentiate between Lord and God, when Jesus remarked "I and my father are one" Think about God , the Father, God, the Son and God, the Holy Spirit. The mystery of God's presence. Think about the mystery of life/creation, conception by the power of the Holy Spirit, resurrection of Jesus Christ, descent of the Holy Spirit.

Refer back to my earlier post of three historical ways God has appeared to us to unite us back to Himself; viz: as The Father (Talking direct from heaven in form of cloud, fire, thunder), as The Son (Jesus Christ), as The Holy Spirit. Understand what these three persons mean to be one, though it's beyond human understanding and comprehension. It's a mystery. That's why we need faith to see God. Pray and ask for revelation of the truth, God definitely will lead you through.

Ask to know more about Virgin Mary. All you said about one confessing Jesus Christ, believing solely and having faith in Him for our salvation is sure and true but we need grace to do all that. No Holy life without grace. Paul never knew he will encounter Christ but grace made it possible. At a point in his life when he felt he was getting weak, he was reminded of God's sufficient grace on him.

No man gets down the road of holiness on his own power; it's by grace.
Seek for God's grace and that woman (Virgin Mary) is full of grace.

Meditate and think God will lead you to the truth.

Regards.
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by barikade: 5:16pm On Feb 09, 2007
@belloti,

belloti:

Just sort yourselves out. Where is Baby, the learned girl?

Nothing to "sort out" - the debate is still on to help you guys sort out the many questions of the Hadith and the Qur'an; and it seems nuru and blabs787 could do with a rescue mission from you, if you have anything to offer.
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by barikade: 5:31pm On Feb 09, 2007
@Amby,

Amby:

This brings us to the fundamental issue of belief in the Father, son and the Holy Spirit.
Can you differentiate between Lord and God, when Jesus remarked "I and my father are one" Think about God , the Father, God, the Son and God, the Holy Spirit. The mystery of God's presence. Think about the mystery of life/creation, conception by the power of the Holy Spirit, resurrection of Jesus Christ, descent of the Holy Spirit.

I don't see how this establishes Mary as the Mother of "God".

Amby:

Refer back to my earlier post of three historical ways God has appeared to us to unite us back to Himself; viz: as The Father (Talking direct from heaven in form of cloud, fire, thunder), as The Son (Jesus Christ), as The Holy Spirit. Understand what these three persons mean to be one, though it's beyond human understanding and comprehension. It's a mystery. That's why we need faith to see God. Pray and ask for revelation of the truth, God definitely will lead you through.

This again does not make Mary "the Mother of God".

Amby:

Ask to know more about Virgin Mary. All you said about one confessing Jesus Christ, believing solely and having faith in Him for our salvation is sure and true but we need grace to do all that. No Holy life without grace. Paul never knew he will encounter Christ but grace made it possible. At a point in his life when he felt he was getting weak, he was reminded of God's sufficient grace on him.

Is there any scripture that says Paul prayed to Mary for salvation or for grace, or yet to intercede for him? I haven't seen one yet.

Amby:

No man gets down the road of holiness on his own power; it's by grace.
Seek for God's grace and that woman (Virgin Mary) is full of grace.

Nowhere in the Bible are Christians asked to seek God's grace through Mary. If there's one such verse, can we read of it here on the Forum

Amby:

Meditate and think God will lead you to the truth.
Regards.

I'm still a student of God's Word, and I will not be haughty as not to learn what He desires me to know. I simply request one thing: can we have the Biblical texts where Mary is called "Mother of God"?

I wonder why people who see Mary as "the Mother of God" usually fail to apply the same logic to Mark 3:32-33 and call themselves "Sister of God" and "Brother of God". Just try applying your logic to those verses and in all honesty ask yourself if you can call yourself by that title.

Regards.
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by Amby: 10:14am On Feb 10, 2007
bari_kade

I wonder why people who see Mary as "the Mother of God" usually fail to apply the same logic to Mark 3:32-33 and call themselves "Sister of God" and "Brother of God".

The problem here is that you are not yet seeing Jesus Christ as God, the son. I asked you to simply differentiate Lord and God and give a definite clear meaning but you are yet to come forward with that. Consider John 15:15 in answering about Jesus brothers and sisters.

In Mark 3:32-33 as you quoted above you fail to put into consideration the Jewish traditions in regards to relatives, the use of imagery, parables and traditions of the time in Jesus Christ teachings and as well His sole role to save sinners (It's only the sick that have need for a physician). Jesus in the above gospel passage remarked of His sole mission on earth that of saving sinners and making them His brothers and sisters and mothers.

The same story goes at the passover feast in Jerusalem, when after three days of journey Mary and Joseph realised that Jesus was not in the caravan and went back to look for Him. On getting to the temple they found Him teaching the elders and teachers of the law. What was His response? "Why did you have to look for me? Didn't you know I had to be in my father's house?" (Luke 2:49) But He went back with them to Nazareth.

In studying the scripture we need the guide of the Holy Spirit so that like the Ethiopian eunuch we will be guided aright (Acts 8:26-35).

Regards.
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by barikade: 11:27am On Feb 10, 2007
@Amby,

Amby:

The problem here is that you are not yet seeing Jesus Christ as God, the son.

Be assured - I know that Jesus Christ is God according to John 1:1 and Isaiah 9:6. Previously, I have posted entries to confirm my belief in the deity of Jesus Christ: "Jesus Christ said He is the Son of God, and that is the basis of our salvation." Find it here in this link. So, I don't think you read me correctly to have made that inference.

Amby:

I asked you to simply differentiate Lord and God and give a definite clear meaning but you are yet to come forward with that.

The fact that Jesus Christ is called 'Lord' does not mean that there are two 'lords' or two 'Gods' wherever the terms appear in the NT. One is safer to read the Bible precisely with the words penned, and not suppose haphazard meanings into "lord" and "God". For instance, when the Bible says in Acts 2:36 that 'God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ', I'm sure you cannot change that to mean 'God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye crucified, both God and Christ.' The latter would simply mean that God made Jesus both God and Christ - a heresy nowhere taught in the Bible, because "God" cannot be made!

In the same way, the precise words used in Luke 1:43 is "mother of my Lord", because the Holy Spirit never intended it to be read as "Mother of God". The difference this makes is huge, because to suppose that Mary is the 'mother of God' is to fall into the heresy that Mary gave birth to God! Rather, other verses emphasize that Mary's conception of Jesus focuses on His Humanity; and that is the difference. See Gal. 4:4 as an example.

Amby:

Consider John 15:15 in answering about Jesus brothers and sisters.

In the Scripture you quoted (John 15:15), Jesus was making a distinction between 'servants' and 'friends' (no mention there of 'brothers' and 'sisters') ~~ "Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you."

Amby:

In Mark 3:32-33 as you quoted above you fail to put into consideration the Jewish traditions in regards to relatives, the use of imagery, parables and traditions of the time in Jesus Christ teachings and as well His sole role to save sinners (It's only the sick that have need for a physician). Jesus in the above gospel passage remarked of His sole mission on earth that of saving sinners and making them His brothers and sisters and mothers.

There are 3 things in that response of yours ~~

1. when you stated "His sole role to save sinners", you have contradicted yourself because earlier you hinted that Mary had a "role" in our salvation as well. The Scriptures teach only one Saviour as well that He is the sole Mediator between God and men.

2. as long as the term "Mother of God" does not appear in the Bible and never used of Mary, I offered Mark 3:33 to query why people who use such term are withdrawn from following their logic full circle to confess themselves as "brother/sister of GOD." Jesus said anyone who did God's will is to be recognized as His (Jesus') brother and sister and mother. Now my question is, why not apply the same logic used in Mary's case for disciples and call them 'brother/sister of GOD'? The simple answer is that such ideas are not taught in God's Word - and Mary is never called "Mother of GOD."

3. the passage in Mark 3:33 was not about salvation in the allegory of the physician which you rather find in Mark 2:17. Please don't confuse the two.

Amby:

The same story goes at the passover feast in Jerusalem, when after three days of journey Mary and Joseph realised that Jesus was not in the caravan and went back to look for Him. On getting to the temple they found Him teaching the elders and teachers of the law. What was His response? "Why did you have to look for me? Didn't you know I had to be in my father's house?" (Luke 2:49) But He went back with them to Nazareth.

How does this make Mary the "Mother of GOD"?

Amby:

In studying the scripture we need the guide of the Holy Spirit so that like the Ethiopian eunuch we will be guided aright (Acts 8:26-35).
Regards.

At least you know that the Euthopian eunuch did not make inferences by misreading the Word. We are safer in reading the Bible as precisely as it is given; and not as we want it to read with our own words and ideas.

Enjoy.
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by Amby: 12:23pm On Feb 10, 2007
bari_kade

[b]Be assured - I know that Jesus Christ is God according to John 1:1 and Isaiah 9:6.[/b]

If you know that Jesus Christ is God as you stated above, and you know that Virgin Mary is the mother of Jesus; what then is your confusion about Mary being the mother of God?

Every generation will call her (Virgin Mary) blessed. Are you not part of a generation?

Hail Mary! Full of grace. Blessed is she amongst women and blessed is the fruit of her womb, Jesus Christ. We should give due honor to a mother who immaculately conceived and gave us/birth to, a Saviour.

All I encourage you to do is pray for divine revelation. Ask Jesus to show you the love He has for His mother, virgin Mary. Think of the way you love your caring and loving mother so it is with our Lord who taught us what love is with His life.

Jesus is always with us to guide us for He said "I will be with you till the end of time"

Regards.
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by Nobody: 1:00pm On Feb 10, 2007
ehm amby do you know this belief stems from an old fashion religion different from christainity (christianity aint a religion to me-its a relationship and a way of life-not tradition)! well even the Grail movement say theres a queen in heaven: Queen Elizabeth. what more could i say? Well Jesus had brothers and sisters right? then she wasnt a virgin after then right? where was she in the ministry of Jesus apart from the marriage at cana (and Jesus silenced her not to tempt him then).The catholic church here is referring to Mary Magdalene not Mary Bin Joseph mother of Jesus. please the catholic church borrows the gothic belief about Jesus and Mary Magdalene (but they refer her to Mary :mother of god: phew! ) whats the deception here?

I'll be starting an expose on the deception of the Catholic church soon. Stay Tuned!
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by barikade: 1:11pm On Feb 10, 2007
@Amby,

I think you really are losing the gist of your enquiry.

1. Nowhere does Scripture use the term "Mother of God" for anyone - not even Mary. If you have a text for that, please provide one and it will suffice.

2. That Elizabeth called Mary "the mother of my Lord" does not translate into "Mary mother of God."

3. The Logic of using an unscriptural term for Mary does not hold unless the person using the term wants to force his/her ideas into the Word of God.

4. To force that idea into the Word of God, then you would have to apply it in every instance where Jesus is spoken of in the Scripture - that's why I offered Mark 3:33, which so far you have been shying away from and offering what it does not say.

5. If one prays for revelation and understanding of the Word of God, one should be willing to receive what is clearly stated and not substitute his own words and thoughts into Scripture.

Amby:

If you know that Jesus Christ is God as you stated above, and you know that Virgin Mary is the mother of Jesus; what then is your confusion about Mary being the mother of God?

Now, may I ask again: without reading your own thoughts into Scripture, where do you read that Mary is clearly called "the Mother of God"? Besides, after Mary gave birth to Jesus, she did not continue to be a virgin.

A text to clearly show that Mary is called Mother of God will be sufficient. But even if you would use some logic and deduce some verses about the issue, then please be prepared for an indepth analysis of your verses.

Cheers.
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by Amby: 1:21pm On Feb 10, 2007
babaearly  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ehm amby do you know this belief stems from an old fashion religion different from christainity (christianity aint a religion to me)! well even the Grail movement say theres a queen in heaven: Queen Elizabeth. what more could i say? Well Jesus had brothers and sisters right? and please i think the catholic church borrows the gothic belief about Jesus and Mary Magdalene (but they refer her to Mary :mother of god: phew! ) whats the deception here?

When talking about issues relating to God, it's wise to study the scripture and ask God to send the Holy spirit to guide us to understanding the divine message.  

Understand there is a whole lot of beliefs, ideologies and philosophies enunciated to deceive believers but God leads His people out of these deceptions. Know that the devil appears as the angel of light to deceive people.

Jesus brothers and sisters are His cousins and relations, if you truely know of Jewish tradition and the use of such word as brothers and sisters.

The grail message may have their teaching meant to veil the reality but the truth is that Virgin Mary is the mother of Jesus (the mother of God).
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by barikade: 2:39pm On Feb 10, 2007
@Amby,

Amby:

When talking about issues relating to God, it's wise to study the scripture and ask God to send the Holy spirit to guide us to understanding the divine message.

You know, it seems these days that even when people have no defence of their beliefs in Scripture, they're the ones who often repeat this phrase of asking God to "send the Holy Spirit to guide us to understanding the divine message". There's a simple way to understand how God guides people into understanding the Word of God - He will show only what is in the Scripture, and not what is outside Scripture.

We all agree Scripture teaches that Jesus (the Logos) is God - John 1:1.

Now let me ask you a few questions.

1. Since Jesus is God, did He die as 'GOD' on the Cross between two thieves?

2. Since Jesus is God, did He become hungry as 'GOD' in Mark 11:12?

3. Since Jesus is God, did He weep as 'GOD' in John 11:35?

What you are failing to understand here is that Mary did not conceive "GOD" in her womb - rather, she conceived Jesus as Man and gave birth to the incarnate Son of God. The Bible states several times that Jesus came "in flesh" (I John 4:2).

When you focus all your thoughts only on the deity of Christ and forget His humanity in the equation, you will continue to miss the fundamental reason why the Holy Spirit never called Mary the "mother of God" in one line of Scripture.

Cheers.
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by 4getme1(m): 2:02pm On Feb 11, 2007
bari_kade:

@Amby,

What sayest thou on the above?
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by Amby: 9:34am On Feb 12, 2007
bari_kade
4get_me (m)

@Amby,

What sayest thou on the above?

In my earlier postings, I have always encouraged you to open your spiritual eyes to grasp the mystery of God living in our midst; God Man. You can not know this by embarking on an academic quest just as you are doing as a Bible student, it requires an encounter with God and the guide of the Holy Spirit.

However, I will try my best in the way am led to open your spiritual eyes if you are willing to accept the truth and call on the Holy Spirit to teach you further.

I will first of all recall your mind to Isaiah 7:14 ( Well then, the Lord himself will give you a sign: a young woman who is pregnant will have a son and will name him 'Immanuel'. Immanuel means 'God is with us'.

Secondly, I refer you to Philippians 2:6-10 ( Though He had the nature of God, He became like a human being); 1 Timothy 3:16.

Though Jesus came as human, suffered as human yet He did not lose His divinity as God. He took the human form to show us the way to salvation.

Have you pondered to ask yourself these questions:

Did Jesus raise the widow's son as human? Luke 7 :11-16

Did Jesus heal the man with dreaded skin disease as human? Lk 5:12-14

Did Jesus heal the man possessed by evil demon as human? Lk 4:31-35

Did Jesus raise Lazarus and Dairus daughter from dead as human?

Did He calm the storm as human?

Did Jesus teach as human?

All authority belong to Him and that's why He healed and preached with authority.

Reflect and meditate about the mystery behind this God Man (Jesus Christ), He will send the Holy Spirit to guide you.

Regards.
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by Nobody: 10:17am On Feb 12, 2007
Please i dont want us to be blinded with arguments and no one seems to be winning. There is Almighty God, Father of Jesus.(he has his own glory) and Jesus the Christ ,Mighty God (he has his own glory and the Holy Spirit of God (the entity of and from God that works on the earth). what y'all saying? read revelations chapter 2 and you'll see what The post Jesus looks like. He aint Almighty God but he's my Saviour and the King of the New heavens and new Earth.
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by babs787(m): 10:49am On Feb 12, 2007
Very funny indeed.

Am sure, Amby must be a Catholic while accursed Barikade, Protestant.

Lets see how the issue is being sorted out. Christian against Christian.

Amby if you are a Catholic, when you are through with the above, enlighten then on TRINITY.

So God has a mother. In West Africa, Nigeria Precisely, if a mother has any son without any father, the son is regarded as a Bastard, but here, I dont think the God being conceived by Mary in your bible fits into that because your God has mother but no biological Father!!

since God is having mother, he must also have grandmother and maybe great grandmother, he must also have maternal brothers and sisters leading to the family of God.

a very blasphemous statement.

As there is a difference between heaven and earth, so also is the difference between God and Jesus.
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by trinigirl1(f): 1:18pm On Feb 12, 2007
Mary was and never will be the mother of God.  What nonsense!

Mary was blessed to be the chosen vessel to give birth to Christ.  But all she was, was the mother of Jesus Christ, when He was the SON OF MAN!

In fact, Jesus himself rebuked her when she was frantically looking for him while he was about his father's business when he said "Woman, what do i  have to do with you!"

I have no problem with calling her blessed.  But you know what everyone who accepts Jesus as the savior is blessed.  I am the Blessied Trini Girl!  grin

The deifying of Mary by the Catholic church is blatantly unscriputural and idol worship.  God is not pleased!

Show me in the scripture where it says to pray THROUGH Mary TO God.

When Jesus clearly taught I AM THE WAY THE TRUTH AND THE LIGHT, NO MAN COMES TO THE FATHER BUT BY ME!

Why have they made this woman into a god in herself? What is this "Hail Mary full of grace ,  pray for us now" garbage!

Did not Jesus warn us of vain repititous prayers? Yet this religion says pray this pray 10 times while rubbing some beads and your prayers will be answered.  Nonsense!

Mary deserves respect just as Paul and the other apostles do, but she was only a vessel used by God for a purpose.

At Jesus' death, he was the Son of Man and still her son biologically, but she was NEVER the mother of God!  angry
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by shahan(f): 2:56pm On Feb 12, 2007
babs787:

Lets see how the issue is being sorted out. Christian against Christian.

At least civility exists between Protestants and Catholics. Can the same be said for the Sunnis and Shiites who are hell-bent on cleaning each other off the face of the earth - especially on their own soil? By the time they're done, then the Wahhabi Muslims are waiting in the wings to clean them both off the earth. It doesn't require a Forum for these Islamic sects to gun for one another's throats, though.
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by Amby: 4:51pm On Feb 12, 2007
Mary was and never will be the mother of God.  What nonsense!

trini_girl (f)

Issues relating to God and spirituality is not what we establish by flexing muscle but by relying on divine revelation, prompting and guide of the Holy spirit.

In fact, Jesus himself rebuked her when she was frantically looking for him while he was about his father's business when he said "Woman, what do i  have to do with you!"

Only Holy Spirit offers spiritual insight to enable the faithfuls understand the words of the scripture. You fail to show knowledge that Mary had known who Jesus was before anyone else. Understand as well that she has pondered every word and message of God in her heart. Jesus only confirmed to her what she know of Him (Christ the Saviour). Why was the scripture silent from the time Jesus made the above statement (when He was twelve years) till when He started His public ministry at age thirty? Did you ask?

Why is it that she (Mary) was the first to request for a miracle that led to Jesus turning water to wine? Did you ask?

Why was it that even when Jesus was led to be crucified with all the torments, scourges and excruciating pains she (Mary) never uttered a ord? "This child is for the rising and falling of many in Israel but a sword will pierce your soul" (Simeon's utterance at the presentation of Jesus to the temple).

Why did you not refer to John 19:26-27; where Jesus handed His mother to the disciple He loves most who took custody of Mary afterwards. Is it a wonder that out of the twelve disciples it's only this disciple that did not suffer martyrdom.

For further reading please refer to Revelation 12. May the Lord almighty send the Holy Spirit to guide you to the knowledge of the truth.

Regards.
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by shahan(f): 6:25pm On Feb 12, 2007
@Amby,

This controversy is seriously flawed on one premise: there's NO scripture evidence that the Holy Spirit ever wanted Mary to be called "Mother of God". Period.
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by Amby: 6:37pm On Feb 12, 2007
shahan (f)

This controversy is seriously flawed on one premise: there's NO scripture evidence that the Holy Spirit ever wanted Mary to be called "Mother of God". Period.

That's when you explain convincingly the difference between God and Lord.

Meditate and reflect on the entire thread, you will be led.

Regards.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Where Does The Devil Get His Power From? / Who Has The Biggest Sunday Attendence Btn Pastors Kumuyi,Oyedepo,Adeboye, Chris? / Men Dressed In Black SATANIC Robes Figures At Chelsea Stadium [photo]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 156
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.