Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,092 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:03 AM

Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From (36101 Views)

Innoson: I Received Order For $4.7m Cars From SierraLeon As NASS Rejects My Cars / Unbelievable Tokunbo Cars Spotted In Lagos (Shocking Photos) / How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by autojosh: 6:07pm On Aug 02, 2017
Today, AutoJosh will be discussing the top 3 auction companies car dealers and car owners buy their cars before shipping them to Nigeria as Tokunbo.

It is no more news that bulk of tokunbo cars in Nigeria are sourced from USA. Many say it’s due to our love for the “Dollar” and the “American Spec” belief. Although we also import from Europe but you can’t compare as car import from Europe is on a constant decline. A large chunk of cars that now come in from Europe are not recent cars. Most are even underaged cars (older than 2002 model).. used to cargo goods into the country as well as those that are to be used for public transportation. Some also come from the Arab countries and Canada is beginning to gain grounds in recent years too.

An average car buyer also like the most inexpensive cars on the block. So, we buy from auction companies which are usually cheaper than the dealerships. They are usually cheaper because some are salvaged and some are donated vehicles (whose sales proceed goes to charity) amongst others.

Even if you bought your car from Cotonou, Berger Market or any other car market in Nigeria, there is a likelihood the car came from one of these 3 sources:

Copart
When it comes to car auctions, Copart is a champion with about 130,000 cars in their yards per time. They have outlets spread all over USA and Canada. They have also expanded to UK, Germany, Spain, UAE, Brazil, China and India.

The 35 year old Company was founded in 1982 by Willis J. Johnson in California.. they now have over 200 outlets with headquarters in Dallas, Texas. They get their cars from Insurance companies, banks, fleet operators, dealers and the general public.

Copart and other auction sites have won the hearts many Nigerians because you can get a car for less than half the market price, ship to Nigeria, fix it (if it has any issue) and become the biggest boy in town. You can be a free member or go premium with an initial subscription of $200 in order to enjoy more benefits. The company is rated “top 100 most exception companies in USA” by Deloitte.

Copart is surely aware of the patronage they get from Nigeria and they are adding services that will make them serve Nigerians better e.g shipping to you in Lagos and working with local representatives.

For more, visit www.copart.com

IAAI
On the average, IAAI (Insurance Auto Auctions, Inc.) has about 60,000 cars listed for auction per time. The company was also founded in 1982 and now has over 150 facilities across USA and Canada with head office in Illinois. They sell vehicles that are from insurance, recovered theft, fleet lease, donation, rental companies etc.

All you need to partake is a free registration or $200 fee to go premium. IAAI offers 3 ways to bid, you can always pre-bid on a vehicle prior to an auction and then either attend the sale in person or bid via I-bid LIVE online. The third one is probably your best bet.

For more, visit www.iaai.com

Auction Export
Auction Export was established in 2007 and they specialize in helping individuals around the world purchase and export cars they buy from USA and Canada. The company is based in Ontario, Canada and they serve as a broker who help source cars from other auction companies as well as dealers.

They always have an average of 200,000 vehicles listed. Although, most of the vehicles are sourced from other auction companies and dealers and these vehicles are not owned by Auction Export. The Company charges a commission on any car you buy through them and also render shipping services.

Their registration is free, however, buyers must make a security deposit of $400 or 10% of the car’s value before they can bid on behalf of such customer.

They have the highest publicity in Nigeria and they assist those who do not know how to go about the bidding and shipping process. They have an excellent service but most Nigerians who are trying to save every penny do complain about their high ancillary and shipping charges. Well, I guess those monies seems little to them but additional $500 is almost N200,000 to a Nigerian.

For more, visit www.auctionexport.com

Finally, there are a couple of other auctions like Manheim, Adesa, AutoBidMaster, Ebay, Gov auctions etc.

Is there any major one I didn’t mention? Which one have you used and which do you like the most? Tell us in the comment section.

https://autojosh.com/top-3-auction-companies-nigerians-buy-tokunbo-cars-from/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

13 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by jhydebaba(m): 6:10pm On Aug 02, 2017
interesting !

4 Likes

Re: Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by fatimababy95(f): 6:10pm On Aug 02, 2017
Have you invested as much this year in your career as in your car?

9 Likes

Re: Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by Nobody: 6:19pm On Aug 02, 2017
Nice. These days I keep visiting auctionexport like every two days, maybe it's a sign of better things to come cool
However you forgot to mention that most of the cars on these auction sites are damaged cars, accident cars, I even saw some which has been completely destroyed by fire. Sometimes the cost of repairing these damaged cars are more than the actual cost of the cars. Also some of the cars in these sites have no keys, and if you think that if you import a damaged car to Nigeria, customs will pity you, that's a very big mistake because the amount you pay for duty for a clean car is the same duty you'll pay for a damaged car of the same spec.

My advice: search for a car, make sure your network is very good while bidding, because there are people bidding for the same car. Check the pictures COMPLETELY. Both the interior and exterior pictures, front and back and if you must buy a damaged car, make sure the damage is done at the rear (back) of the car and not at the front so it doesn't affect the engine and other sensitive areas. Also make sure the damaged parts are available in Nigeria otherwise you'll also be importing the parts as well and most importantly, have a very good, trust worthy Mechanic on standby.

Glad to be of help cheesy

104 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by Nobody: 6:31am On Aug 03, 2017
Hope these are genuine ones, cos i see thousands of fake ones everyday online!

2 Likes

Re: Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by Nobody: 6:35am On Aug 03, 2017
BMW cry cry

1 Like

Re: Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by Kronical(m): 6:36am On Aug 03, 2017
Online Bid keh.. When I can go to Lagos or Benin and buy a car that I can inspect Manually...

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by Partnerbiz2: 6:37am On Aug 03, 2017
Okay o
Re: Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by IRockALot(m): 6:39am On Aug 03, 2017
fatimababy95:
Have you invested as much this year in your career as in your car?
Gospel of a non car owner

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by heykims(m): 6:43am On Aug 03, 2017
Good.
But d cost of cars is now too high and doesn't seem like coming down.
Why?

1 Like

Re: Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by Nobody: 6:48am On Aug 03, 2017
Hmm
My acct balance is 59.0 naira
I visit the autos section daily
Now I will visit the three sites U just mentioned daily as well
Wat. A life

Can I actually bid and win a car with 250$
And what's d cost of getting it to Nigeria
autojosh , AutoJoshNg
Meanwhile lemme like every post on this thread
If u haven't received ur like yet feel free to use d quote link
!!!!

7 Likes

Re: Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by cruxmeggido(m): 6:49am On Aug 03, 2017
Who else think Autionexport is more popular ( among Nigerians) .

2 Likes

Re: Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by seunny4lif(m): 6:51am On Aug 03, 2017
Online car for Nigeria ?
When Benin city and Ibadan dey there
Who get time dey search online.

Worst case I will go to Lome or Benin rep or Ghana to buy and drive it here.
Online ko,Internet ni

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by Burgerlomo: 6:51am On Aug 03, 2017
My favorite is Craigslist

2 Likes

Re: Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by seunny4lif(m): 6:52am On Aug 03, 2017
cruxmeggido:
Who else think Benin rep and Lome is more popular among Nigerians

4 Likes

Re: Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by seunny4lif(m): 6:54am On Aug 03, 2017
lofty900:
Nice. These days I keep visiting auctionexport like every two days, maybe it's a sign of better things to come cool
However you forgot to mention that most of the cars on these auction sites are damaged cars, accident cars, I even saw some which has been completely destroyed by fire. Also some of the cars in these sites have no keys, and if you think that if you import a damaged car to Nigeria, customs will pity you, that's a very big mistake because the amount you pay for duty for a clean car is the same duty you'll pay for a damaged car of the same spec.

My advice: search for a car, make sure your network is very good while bidding, because there are people bidding for the same car. Check the pictures COMPLETELY. Both the interior and exterior pictures, front and back and if you must buy a damaged car, make sure the damage is done at the rear (back) of the car and not at the front so it doesn't affect the engine and other sensitive areas.

Glad to be of help cheesy
I no dey buy car online oooooh
Show me the car in Lagos or Benin city and I will pay cash and drive myself.

I no even get money to eat self and see me talking about Car

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by solid3(m): 6:59am On Aug 03, 2017
Following.
Re: Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by cruxmeggido(m): 6:59am On Aug 03, 2017
Who else think Benin rep and Lome is more popular among Nigerians

Ish

1 Like

Re: Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by ajalawole(m): 7:08am On Aug 03, 2017
ha........... So my uncle dey lie bayi..... He says he source his car from whitehouse sad . But God pass am sha cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by modsfucker: 7:17am On Aug 03, 2017
Noted

1 Like

Re: Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by potent5(m): 7:22am On Aug 03, 2017
Op, kudos to you.

1 Like

Re: Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by chigoizie7(m): 7:24am On Aug 03, 2017
Nice one

1 Like

Re: Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by Timbuktu14(m): 7:34am On Aug 03, 2017
cruxmeggido:
Yes they are... Because you can even pay them in Naira - with your Verve, MasteeCard or VISA card.

1 Like

Re: Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by Nobody: 7:51am On Aug 03, 2017
seunny4lif:

I no dey buy car online oooooh
Show me the car in Lagos or Benin city and I will pay cash and drive myself.

I no even get money to eat self and see me talking about Car
lolz. If not for our depreciated naira, it used to be cheaper to buy online

1 Like

Re: Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by Iseoluwani: 7:56am On Aug 03, 2017
Issorite

1 Like

Re: Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by africanman85: 8:00am On Aug 03, 2017
wow good to know this

1 Like

Re: Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by seunny4lif(m): 8:01am On Aug 03, 2017
lofty900:
lolz. If not for our depreciated naira, it used to be cheaper to buy online
I know but an average Nigerian no get time to but fone online

3 Likes

Re: Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by klens(m): 8:04am On Aug 03, 2017
How can one ship car from copart to Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by freshvine(f): 8:20am On Aug 03, 2017
Who can give a concise details of shipping a car from the advertised sites to Nigeria without a middle man or known relative over there?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From by Canme4u(m): 8:21am On Aug 03, 2017
Nice on @autojosh

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Check Car Owner By Number Plate? / Photos Of The 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee / Bugatti Unveils Bugatti X PG Craft Carbon Fiber Bicycle, Sells For N12million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.