Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,401 members, 7,808,436 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:57 AM

Barclays Bank Asks Nigerians With Less Than £100,000 To Close Their Accounts - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Barclays Bank Asks Nigerians With Less Than £100,000 To Close Their Accounts (34257 Views)

Barclays Africa Group To Acquire Nigerian Bank / Former Barclays Boss Raises Stake In Union Bank / CBN Asks Nigerians To Report Any Bank That Fails To Give Them FOREX (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Barclays Bank Asks Nigerians With Less Than £100,000 To Close Their Accounts by claremont(m): 8:48am On Aug 03, 2017
three:

Imagine.

The country's profile just makes it harder to do business globally.

After some will come with that lie that Nigeria has moved out of top 10 most corrupt countries

It has nothing to do with the profile of Nigeria, and as a Nigerian, you really should be happy not to see your own country included in the 10 most corrupt countries in the world. This rule by Barclays was first promulgated in 2015, and it also affect British expats living in EU countries like Malta, Cyprus etc. Attached is the document. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/expat-money/11746500/Barclays-to-close-expats-bank-accounts-unless-they-deposit-100000.html

If you want to condemn Nigeria, do so with some objective basic research.

1 Like

Re: Barclays Bank Asks Nigerians With Less Than £100,000 To Close Their Accounts by Nbote(m): 8:49am On Aug 03, 2017
bouncino:

They are referring to offshore accounts only. The Barclays Bank branch in Ikoyi is an international banking branch. They do not do daily banking services.
The minimum had progressively moved from 5k to 25k and now 100k.
Does not apply to accounts opened in UK High Streets.

We are basically saying d same thing.. D ultimatum applies to ALL expatriates, why Nigerians see it as an encouragement for corruption and crying more is what I don't get...

1 Like

Re: Barclays Bank Asks Nigerians With Less Than £100,000 To Close Their Accounts by JaffyJoe(m): 8:56am On Aug 03, 2017
EntMirror:
The bank is broke and only A broke organaniston will take such a move.. Instead of saving, I'd rather borrow from the bank.. That's using debt to be rich instead of being broke.. The poor don't understand this but this is real.. The poor will rather save than borrow.. But the rich will either save less but borrow more.. Good debt...

www.entmirror.com
Entrepreneurs

Guess you didn't see the part where they said all with less than 100k should feel free to move their funds to other banks. That tone isn't that of a broke financial institution.
Re: Barclays Bank Asks Nigerians With Less Than £100,000 To Close Their Accounts by erico2k2(m): 9:04am On Aug 03, 2017
PassingShot:

It's the blogger's usual strategy to make sensational news out of what is otherwise a simple one.

NL must attract customers by fire by force nah grin
Ofcos
Re: Barclays Bank Asks Nigerians With Less Than £100,000 To Close Their Accounts by shutto: 9:24am On Aug 03, 2017
JORDAN202:

THIS IS NOT TRUE. I HAVE LESS THAN £150GBP IN MY ACCOUNT AND NOBODY HAS ASKED ME TO CLOSE MY ACCOUNT.

ANY BANK IN THE UK THAT TRIES SUCH NONE SENSE WILL BE FINED HEAVILY BY THE UK' FINANCIAL OMBUDSMAN !

YOU CAN EVEN OPEN AN ACCOUNT TODAY WITH JUST £1GBP

NIGERIANS MUST STOP SPREADING LIES
I concur
Re: Barclays Bank Asks Nigerians With Less Than £100,000 To Close Their Accounts by Only1mi(f): 9:40am On Aug 03, 2017
mactoni91:
if you can afford to leave the shores of 9ja without any problem, then you shouldn't be having problems raising ya savings to £100,000.
By the way, any News about NPA's Last test?

Because money grows on trees abroad abi?
Re: Barclays Bank Asks Nigerians With Less Than £100,000 To Close Their Accounts by poseidon12: 10:09am On Aug 03, 2017
jchioma:
My advise to Nigerians is that they should relocate such funds back to Nigeria. Our economy will be the better for it.

Bad advise. Nigeria is politically unstable. That's one of the reasons people keep their money abroad.
Re: Barclays Bank Asks Nigerians With Less Than £100,000 To Close Their Accounts by sosy25: 10:24am On Aug 03, 2017
The story clearly says "international banking service" so that's a special bank account probably for high net worth people who are living outside the United Kingdom.

My Barclays account currently has a balance of less than £1 and I don't think I would be asked to close it because I opened it on the high street, even though I now live in Nigeria the address on the banks records is a UK address of my cousin who still lives there.

I still dey use the Barclays account dey transfer money wey I earn via payoneer from my affiliate activities online.

1 Like

Re: Barclays Bank Asks Nigerians With Less Than £100,000 To Close Their Accounts by DollarAngel(m): 10:31am On Aug 03, 2017
EntMirror:
The bank is broke and only A broke organaniston will take such a move.. Instead of saving, I'd rather borrow from the bank.. That's using debt to be rich instead of being broke.. The poor don't understand this but this is real.. The poor will rather save than borrow.. But the rich will either save less but borrow more.. Good debt...

www.entmirror.com
Entrepreneurs
Re: Barclays Bank Asks Nigerians With Less Than £100,000 To Close Their Accounts by ponti93(m): 10:35am On Aug 03, 2017
BlaQWolf:
Film
add dc comics...sony pictures...
Re: Barclays Bank Asks Nigerians With Less Than £100,000 To Close Their Accounts by burkingx(f): 11:20am On Aug 03, 2017
mokaflex:
These guys are obviously ok with Abacha. Deziani, patients grin loots. Soon they would come looking for deposits again.
That's some cash if you convert £100k to naira

Re: Barclays Bank Asks Nigerians With Less Than £100,000 To Close Their Accounts by AdeOluwaTomiwa(m): 11:47am On Aug 03, 2017
Lol who Barclay help?I can't even afford £1,000,let me just stay here chilling with my Itel p51,I no get strength to shout
Re: Barclays Bank Asks Nigerians With Less Than £100,000 To Close Their Accounts by planetx: 12:01pm On Aug 03, 2017
JORDAN202:

THIS IS NOT TRUE. I HAVE LESS THAN £150GBP IN MY ACCOUNT AND NOBODY HAS ASKED ME TO CLOSE MY ACCOUNT.

ANY BANK IN THE UK THAT TRIES SUCH NONE SENSE WILL BE FINED HEAVILY BY THE UK' FINANCIAL OMBUDSMAN !

Re: Barclays Bank Asks Nigerians With Less Than £100,000 To Close Their Accounts by armadeo(m): 12:08pm On Aug 03, 2017
erico2k2:

FAKE NEWS expatriate in UK means anyone who is not British amd working here . I don't know who put this craaap out there

Thank God someone read with understanding. The op just added Nigerians to spice his story up. The real deal is all expatriates and he put including Nigerians.

Mynd44 sensationalism on this topic.

Meanwhile no bank would actually dare to do this. That's the end of the bank. Only in Nigeria can this shit work.
Re: Barclays Bank Asks Nigerians With Less Than £100,000 To Close Their Accounts by planetx: 12:08pm On Aug 03, 2017
mactoni91:
if you can afford to leave the shores of 9ja without any problem, then you shouldn't be having problems raising ya savings to £100,000.
By the way, any News about NPA's Last test?
99% of Nigerians living abroad don't have a £100,000 savings, you must have been watching to many Hollywood movies.
Re: Barclays Bank Asks Nigerians With Less Than £100,000 To Close Their Accounts by erico2k2(m): 12:28pm On Aug 03, 2017
armadeo:

Thank God someone read with understanding. The op just added Nigerians to spice his story up. The real deal is all expatriates and he put including Nigerians.

Mynd44 sensationalism on this topic.

Meanwhile no bank would actually dare to do this. That's the end of the bank. Only in Nigeria can this shit work.
Op is high on cheap weed
Re: Barclays Bank Asks Nigerians With Less Than £100,000 To Close Their Accounts by Nobody: 4:14pm On Aug 03, 2017
does this mean i don't have to pay back the £24 000 i borrowed since 2012 from barclays? good!
Re: Barclays Bank Asks Nigerians With Less Than £100,000 To Close Their Accounts by cescky(m): 4:48pm On Aug 03, 2017
three:

Imagine.

The country's profile just makes it harder to do business globally.

After, some will come with that lie that Nigeria has moved out of top 10 most corrupt countries

my brother God bless you

you hit the nail on the head...trying to open an account now outside the country its war

and you cant blame those nations , beacuse nigerians go everywhere smearing their hosts with shiite

and with the tight measures other nations employ for their banking systems,it makes its hard for their national security etc to be breached

in nigeria banking etc, everthing is loose , tell me howone billionaire from the north cant codedly be sending money to bokoharam

its well...ive left the hell zone, till the conciousness of an average nigerian changes, we will always retrogress...i dont care how much oil, gold, triilions we may, the problem of niegrains is the consciouness
Re: Barclays Bank Asks Nigerians With Less Than £100,000 To Close Their Accounts by miqos02(m): 6:36pm On Aug 03, 2017
rottenPussy:
oh I see! Btw, what's ME?
middle east
Re: Barclays Bank Asks Nigerians With Less Than £100,000 To Close Their Accounts by vislabraye(m): 7:32pm On Aug 03, 2017
EntMirror:

www.entmirror.com
Entrepreneurs

The bank is not broke.
Well, you borrow from the bank if you have a strong collateral. Your comment is half truths.
Re: Barclays Bank Asks Nigerians With Less Than £100,000 To Close Their Accounts by Tats(m): 10:15pm On Aug 03, 2017
JORDAN202:

It is very true. It's not the normal Barclays account. This is Barclays wealth international account in Knightsbridge but managed through Barclays Ikoyi via Canary Wharf, London. They called me to increase my savings to £100k or clear my account to £0 by August 1st which I did.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Folorunso Alakija Celebrates Her 66th Birthday, Dances With Otedola & Elumelu / What Are The Differences Between BN And RC Number / What Happens To The Money In My Savings Account If I Die?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.