Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:44 PM

Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... (13853 Views)

How I Lost My Dream Job Without Collecting 1 Month Salary - Meme Collection / My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help / My Former Employer Is Yet To Remit My 23 Months Pension Fund To My RSA. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by MyPrinceMeLuv(m): 3:12pm On Aug 03, 2017
please i am just pissed off, and i need genuine advice from all especially lawyers. I started working with my former employer 14th April 2016 as an Audit officer and resigned 30th June 2017. All through my stay there, i did my best but had to leave because i got a better offer. now they are threatening to take a legal action against me should i fail to refund them a month salary for not giving them a month notice.

NOTE: while i planned to resign, my compliance manager resigned after a month notice and they offered to transfer me to there head office and double my salary but i had to go because i had already collected my employment letter from my new employer.

now what do i do, do i refund or not?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by ipobarecriminals: 3:19pm On Aug 03, 2017
pity
Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by nnamso(m): 3:27pm On Aug 03, 2017
Refund the money.

MyPrinceMeLuv:
please i am just pissed off, and i need genuine advice from all especially lawyers. I started working with my former employer 14th April 2016 as an Audit officer and resigned 30th June 2017. All through my stay there, i did my best but had to leave because i got a better offer. now they are threatening to take a legal action against me should i fail to refund them a month salary for not giving them a month notice.

NOTE: while i planned to resign, my compliance manager resigned after a month notice and they offered to transfer me to there head office and double my salary but i had to go because i had already collected my employment letter from my new employer.

25 Likes

Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by kec0001(m): 3:30pm On Aug 03, 2017
Need:

-Company / Business Website.

-Blog website

-Farm / Agro website

-mobile App.

-Website maintenance.

-Mobile App maintenance.

-Digital Media Marketing that will influence your sales.

Check my signature for contact detail

Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by gmajor10(m): 3:32pm On Aug 03, 2017
Your response to this question will help me answer you better, were you given an appointment? If yes check the content and report back.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by Nobody: 3:51pm On Aug 03, 2017
Is it part of the company policy that you'd have to give them a month notice should you feel like resigning?. Were you told this before you took on the job?.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by LivinaPatrick(f): 3:53pm On Aug 03, 2017
Refund their ego sharperly grin

1 Like

Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by Pascal11: 7:24am On Aug 04, 2017
Refund it

3 Likes

Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by itiswellandwell: 7:24am On Aug 04, 2017
Hmmmmm
Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by Nobody: 7:24am On Aug 04, 2017
Hmm..first thing first, you should have at least given your employer a hint that you'll soon be leaving. That way, he'll prepare ahead and get another hand to fill the space. You don't just wake up one morning and tell me you're done working.. It's not appropriate and he has every right to sue you. Yes. He has all the right. You're at fault here. Leaving the firm without a hint will reduce the firm's productivity which you are the cause.

www.entmirror.com

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by jerryunit48: 7:24am On Aug 04, 2017
Eehnn you for inform dem before you go since you know say na the policy be dat , anyway try beg dem see how far you go
Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by MadCow1: 7:25am On Aug 04, 2017
The standard in case of termination is..

If you are going to resign, you must give the company one months notice.

If the company is firing you, they must pay you 1 months salary.

That's just the way it goes so go refund them their money or face legal action.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by rawpadgin(m): 7:26am On Aug 04, 2017
my friend, return the money & focus on your new place of work

am sure the terms of contract favours them else they won't be threatening legal action against you

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by Benjom(m): 7:26am On Aug 04, 2017
Tell them you'll have to go withdraw it from your toilet... lobatan

2 Likes

Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by playcharles(m): 7:26am On Aug 04, 2017
2 things ... were you given employment letter or employee handbook, was it indicated there... if yes, Oga go and return their money... if no, shove them aside. undecided undecided undecided

7 Likes

Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by Solomonudofia(m): 7:26am On Aug 04, 2017
Check if it is stated in the appointment later the gave when you started with them.... If is there then you have to refund but if it is not there , they cant do anything....
. The truth is they are not happy you are leaving them...

North Korea fires second intercontinental ballistic missile...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JDQ2Ox6XJI

1 Like

Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by dfrost: 7:26am On Aug 04, 2017
grin

2 Likes

Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by realbaybe: 7:27am On Aug 04, 2017
refund it!
Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by Nobody: 7:27am On Aug 04, 2017
H
Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by dapsy4u2(m): 7:27am On Aug 04, 2017
if you gave a month's notice, nothing do you.
if you didn't give a month's notice, please refund their money!

Thank you.

9 Likes

Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by sotall(m): 7:27am On Aug 04, 2017
OK
Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by Nobody: 7:27am On Aug 04, 2017
Refund d money. Dats d normal practice

1 Like

Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by verygudbadguy(m): 7:28am On Aug 04, 2017
Refund. You need to stick the agreement stated in your appointment letter.
Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by free2ryhme: 7:28am On Aug 04, 2017
MyPrinceMeLuv:

Check your employee handbook

What did it say concerning given notice when resigning

1 Like

Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by onward4life(m): 7:29am On Aug 04, 2017
You sef!

Job seekers never Learn. It's not like you own your own company or something. You are an accountant for Heaven sake.

If they write to your new employers to watch out for your dubious ways! Meh your behind is toast! Remember Hw money issue is so flammable. Dnt come here on Nairaland to complain because I will sue you and get away with it!

They could make you unemployable in Nigeria as long as you not a shameless politician or a BMB (big man brother). And Nigerian laws protect Indians and lebanese more than its poor nigga population(Wipe and Work).

Give what belong to ceasar!
JESUS IS thy LORD!!!

Congratulations...
Our own will come by Morning...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by Unionised(m): 7:29am On Aug 04, 2017
MyPrinceMeLuv:

Standard practice.

Either you give notice and work another month or pay the one month basic salary and move immediately.

It's normal.

9 Likes

Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by Nobody: 7:30am On Aug 04, 2017
Just refund it biko
Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by decub: 7:30am On Aug 04, 2017
Benita27:
Is it part of the company policy that you'd have to give them a month notice should incase you feel like resigning?. Were you told this before you took on the job?.
It's a standard practice in structured organisations. It's also written in the appointment letter.
Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by playcharles(m): 7:31am On Aug 04, 2017
Unionised:

Standard practice.

Either you give notice and work another month or pay the one month basic salary and move immediately.

It's normal.
In some cases, I don't think it's standard practice if it is not indicated in your employment letter or employee handbook
Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by PatriotTemidayo: 7:32am On Aug 04, 2017
If you signed an employee handbook or any other legal document that stipulates you give them some notice, you just have to refund.

Wether or not another person escaped it is immaterial, they have a case against you based on what you consented to.

Otherwise, bone them.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by CHIZZYCHEALSEA: 7:33am On Aug 04, 2017
YOU ARE A THIEF.
Re: Please Help! My Former Employer Demands I Refund A Month Salary... by AuroraB(f): 7:33am On Aug 04, 2017
Go through your appointment letter, thoroughly this time
Do you see something like 'one month in lieu'
Oya now sad

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

As FG, Labour Begin Negotiations On New Minimum Wage / While Nigeria’s Minimum Wage Stands At $60, South Africa Introduces $260 Minimum / 15 Times People Had Just One job To Do But Failed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.