Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,819 members, 7,806,301 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:24 PM

If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? (23568 Views)

My Sisters-In-Law Are Causing Problems In My Marriage! What Do I Do? / What Would You Do To Him If He Is Your Son At The Moment(Photo) / Mother Baths & Bottle Feeds Her Grown Up Daughter On Her Birthday (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by ImaIma1(f): 10:23pm On Aug 03, 2017
Protect your spouse from every external party. Defend him or her and make it clear that you people are one.
The way you treat/carry your spouse is the way others will treat him/her. Dont disrespect them and expect others to respect.
I learnt that from my sister's husband. He puts her up there and she does same. No one not even his family can talk to her anyhow.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by Destined2win: 10:24pm On Aug 03, 2017
Krystaal:
I'll just ask him/her an easy question..."how bad do you want that pussy/dick ??"...
cheesy You are obviously not married
Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by FX(m): 10:25pm On Aug 03, 2017
Marriage is not easy at all. If you know what married couples are passing through just to keep the marriage, u will better stay on your own. If I'm to advise my child , I will tell him or her never to get married to anybody. You can have all you want without getting married. Freedom is priceless. Money can't buy it.

7 Likes

Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by Destined2win: 10:25pm On Aug 03, 2017
ImaIma1:
Protect your spouse from every external party. Defend him or her and make it clear that you people are one.
The way you treat/carry your spouse is the way others will treat him/her. Dont disrespect them and expect others to respect.
I learnt that from my sister's husband. He puts her up there and she dose same. No one not even his family can talk to her anyhow.
Wish I could give more likes for this. Nice one.
Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by Destined2win: 10:27pm On Aug 03, 2017
FX:
Marriage is not easy at all. If you know what married couples are passing through just to keep the marriage, u will better stay on your own. If I'm to advise my child , I will tell him or her never to get married to anybody. You can have all you want without getting married. Freedom is priceless. Money can't buy it.
cheesy Maybe you didn't marry someone you are compatible with

3 Likes

Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by seunny4lif(m): 10:27pm On Aug 03, 2017
VickyRotex:

I think its the other way round.
I'm not married, but I learnt that if you can survive the first 10 years, you can survive the next 25 years and even more.
First 3 years is not easy, yes cos you will miss the clubbing and party.
After 10 years the love will wash away and holding the marriage will become a task.
Marriage is after from 5 years on

1 Like

Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by williamdeluxe(m): 10:28pm On Aug 03, 2017
marry a man/woman who completes u dnt marry Eze bkuz he iz gud in bed nor kunle bkuz he iz rich or osaro bkuz he iz nice n goodlooking or Shola bkuz he has of al diz qualities But marry a man whose focus iz onli on God n notices u bt bkuz God said LOOK THATZ UR BETA HALF

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by tuscani: 10:28pm On Aug 03, 2017
Love alone is not enough

1 Like

Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by MiguelKingII(m): 10:28pm On Aug 03, 2017
since am not married or even near to getting married lemme just pack my load and move to another trend grin grin
Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by VickyRotex(f): 10:32pm On Aug 03, 2017
Ayanfeoluwaoba:
There are 4 (Four) people involved in Marriage

1. The Man you married
2. The Man you thought you married
3. The Woman you married
4. The Woman you thought you married.

Your marriage will be an Haven only if you accept each others imperfections.

Awwwwwnnnn!!!!
It's well! cool
Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by mrdino(m): 10:33pm On Aug 03, 2017
Destined2win:
One of the reasons why I come here is because I desire to learn from people who are already in the 'business' of marriage. This is borne out of a dream to have an exceptional home; a marriage where I will smile all day because I am married; a marriage where the blessings of marriage surround me. I know I am not alone in this as there are a lot of young men like me who have such desires in their heart.

So if you are married and your opinion is being sought, it is because we don't wanna make mistakes. We want to know what works and what doesn't work.

Supposing you have a son or daughter who desires to get married or is about to get married and you want that child's marriage to succeed, what will be your greatest advise to that child of yours?

Please tell stories where applicable.

Thanks!

I m not married though, but if I m to give advice concerning marriage it would be:
1. Look beyond beauty/handsomeness; because the desired character do not always come with the desired vessel.
2. Be patient, don't always be too quick to react.
3. Go into marriage with the mindset and determination to make things work with your spouse.
4. Desist from the habit of inviting a third party (even close relatives) into issues in your marriage.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by uncleck: 10:34pm On Aug 03, 2017
Don't marry because you are up to the age of marriage.

Don't marry because you think you fell in love.

Don't marry because he/she was recommended for you by a trusted person

Don't marry because you have the cash

Don't marry with high expectations

Don't marry because you need to raise children

MARRY A PERSON YOU HAVE DEVELOPED GREAT FRIENDSHIP WITH. When everything else, including love, fails, friendship will endure.

modified
I can't type all that is in my mind, but let me quickly add that many marriages have problems because people expect too much from their spouses. Instead of magnifying your partner's error, try to discover the effort he/she put in.

Honesty and Sincerity are the most vital attributes you should look out for. know that you all are imperfect and put yourself in his or her situation.

If possible expect nothing. lol

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by Nobody: 10:34pm On Aug 03, 2017
Destined2win:
One of the reasons why I come here is because I desire to learn from people who are already in the 'business' of marriage. This is borne out of a dream to have an exceptional home; a marriage where I will smile all day because I am married; a marriage where the blessings of marriage surround me. I know I am not alone in this as there are a lot of young men like me who have such desires in their heart.

So if you are married and your opinion is being sought, it is because we don't wanna make mistakes. We want to know what works and what doesn't work.

Supposing you have a son or daughter who desires to get married or is about to get married and you want that child's marriage to succeed, what will be your greatest advise to that child of yours?

Thanks!

Marry someone who knows how to manage finance

2 Likes

Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by Nobody: 10:35pm On Aug 03, 2017
TINALETC3:
Exactly Wat my mum told me
Neva jump to a man bc of money, attitude first.
Kama is unavoidable, treat ur brothers wives d same way u wnt 2 b treated in ur husband home. Neva speak wen ur husband is angry and shouting at u,4 dat wl make hm raise his hand on u, neva argue with hm. Instead, talk 2 hm wen his anger cools
I stop here abeg, it's many cool, God bless my mum 4 me, she did well
Anytime I hv problem wt my brothers, she keeps reminding me dat am a woman, if I keep reacting violently 2 dem, I wl bhave d same way in my husband's home.
You are well trained .God bless your mom both in age and finance.

1 Like

Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by VickyRotex(f): 10:37pm On Aug 03, 2017
seunny4lif:

First 3 years is not easy, yes cos you will miss the clubbing and party.
After 10 years the love will wash away and holding the marriage will become a task.
Marriage is after from 5 years on

Hmmmmm! It's well!
Again, I believe it's also about different strokes.
Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by FX(m): 10:38pm On Aug 03, 2017
Destined2win:
cheesy Maybe you didn't marry someone you are compatible with
It is not about compatibility. My wife loves me and I love my wife certainly no doubts about that. But if u add, multiply, subtract and divide everything, u will find out that marriage is burdensome. Check all the marriages of the world, no one is perfect. People are getting married because d society wants them to get married. 99% of married people are not happy but they cover up. The truth is that freedom is priceless. It is not about love, money and compatibility . You can still achieve everything without getting married. I'm married but when I see people doing wedding, I will just say in my mind that these couples don't know what they are getting themselves into.

11 Likes

Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by VickyRotex(f): 10:38pm On Aug 03, 2017
williamdeluxe:
marry a man/woman who completes u
dnt marry Eze bkuz he iz gud in bed
nor kunle bkuz he iz rich
or osaro bkuz he iz nice n goodlooking
or Shola bkuz he has of al diz qualities
But marry a man whose focus iz onli on God
n notices u bt bkuz God said LOOK THATZ UR BETA HALF

cool cool cool
Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by Destined2win: 10:39pm On Aug 03, 2017
reminiscing:

Marry someone who knows how to manage finance
Quite simple. You think that's all that is necessary
Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by Destined2win: 10:41pm On Aug 03, 2017
FX:
It is not about compatibility. My wife loves me and I love my wife certainly no doubts about that. But if u add, multiply, subtract and divide everything, u will find out that marriage is burdensome. Check all the marriages of the world, no one is perfect. People are getting married because d society wants them to get married. 99% of married people are not happy but they cover up. The truth is that freedom is priceless. It is not about love, money and compatibility . You can still achieve everything without getting married. I'm married but when I see people doing wedding, I will just say in my mind that these couples don't know what they are getting themselves into.
grin
Oga abeg oo. Me sef don dey dream wedding.

I am just thinking maybe you need to spice up your marriage. I might be wrong tho

2 Likes

Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by koko12(m): 10:44pm On Aug 03, 2017
my Father told me "Dont Marry a broke woman, ensure she has a job". Very Good advice i say grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by Nobody: 10:46pm On Aug 03, 2017
ashjay001:
Dont get married. Boy or girl, u can live in, have kids but, dont tie any knot joor!

Pull my other leg shocked
Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by Primebuilders(m): 10:46pm On Aug 03, 2017
My advice is this, to the Man Love your wife the way Jesus love his disciples. To the woman Respect your husband and be in Subjection to him the way Jesus is to his heavenly Father. Both principle have been helping my marriage

1 Like

Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by FX(m): 10:54pm On Aug 03, 2017
Destined2win:
grin
Oga abeg oo. Me sef don dey dream wedding.

I am just thinking maybe you need to spice up your marriage. I might be wrong tho
When you marry I go c how much spice u go add to your marriage. It's not about spices my brother. When u enter, you go know far. It is not a bed of roses with all d spices, love, money and compatibility. I have said my own, I will advise my son not to get married. That marriage institution is over hyped. Your parents will never tell you the whole truth about marriage cos they want you to fall into the same trap they fell in. i'm married but I will advise my friends to stay clear from marriage. Don't short change your life by living in bondage

5 Likes

Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by timmygal25: 10:55pm On Aug 03, 2017
As life is not a bed of roses,so is marriage but with patience,perseverance, prayers u will sure ve a headway.

1 Like

Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by piagetskinner(m): 10:59pm On Aug 03, 2017
Benita27:
Marriage is an institution. Once you're wedded you're given marriage certificate but there's no graduation. Your syllabus is your spouse, so do well to study him/her very well. Marry your best friend and not out of pity.

This is my advice, and hope to learn from others.

what of those that don't have best friends like ne
Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by Sholeyb: 11:01pm On Aug 03, 2017
Love is not enough to sustain a marriage, it takes a lot of other things like kindness, patience, money,health, patience,determination, fidelity and most importantly God.

2 Likes

Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by piagetskinner(m): 11:06pm On Aug 03, 2017
prof1990:
My only advice is for them to have kids and make sure the kids play football or basketball.

pls how much is that in naira....my calculator stopped working when i tried calculating

neymars transfer
Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by EmpressT(f): 11:09pm On Aug 03, 2017
Well, as for me, I am still single and waiting upon the Lord to grant me my heart desire and way beyond that.
If I have a son/daughter, my words would be: marriage as you see is an eternal convenant between you and the person involved. As you see marriage, so as God takes it to the heart. Never you marry an unbeliever cos if you do, the hope to change such person in the process is unpredictible if truly you are a christian/muslim, and you value your spirituality.
Secondly, If in case you have a child out of wedlock and you meet someone you love, be convinced that this person is ready and willing to accept you, your flaws, ready to make sacrifices for you, and ready to show you off to his/her family and be totally accepted by the two families. Single mothers and fathers find it difficult to settle down in this present world. So be wise. Reference a marriage/relationship counselor for your needs, it assists alot.
Lastly, marry for love not infatuation. Courtships that begin with true friendship last longer than meeting around the edge of a corner. Marry someone you feel so comfortable with revealing your secrets of the past and present. Marry someone you call "my soul mate, my companion". Marry someone who completely accept the 'real you'. And again, once a woman/man violates you emotionally, mentally and sexually, physically, please refrain yourself from such individual to avoid untimely death. I hope this piece helps.

Destined2win:

Thanks!

Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by MDGsVISIBLE: 11:11pm On Aug 03, 2017
I wish marriage survival is by good wishes and advice... When the PURPOSE of a THING is not KNOWN, the ABUSE of IT becomes INEVITABLE ~Myles Munroe.
Wedding offer you a certificate to proof your preparation & understanding of purpose in marriage.

Lalastica Please play her "Wish me well" by Timi DaKolo
I wish you well too.

1 Like

Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by maisauki: 11:12pm On Aug 03, 2017
RUN, MY BROTHER, RUN FROM 3RD PARTY. I don't mean you should not seek elder's advice, what i mean is you should be wary of whom you seek it from cos no marriage can work without getting pieces of advice from elders

1 Like

Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by femi4: 11:12pm On Aug 03, 2017
Destined2win:

Thanks!

Never allow any misunderstanding/issues go unresolve after 24hrs
Re: If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? by mykh01(m): 11:14pm On Aug 03, 2017
holatin:
if na man.

Never beat your wife instead threaten to marry a second wife if she no still hear marry a second wife
Sense fall on u

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Family section gist hub / RelativeĀ“s Spouse Beaten By Brother-in-law (story continud) / Wicked Anambra Woman Arrested For Child Abuse And The Little Boy Taken From Her.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.