Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,034 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:32 PM

NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad (12982 Views)

58 Nigerian Doctors Stopped At Lagos Airport, Were Promised Millions By UK Firm / Nigerian Doctors Seek COVID-19 Lockdown Extension Ahead Of Review Tomorrow / Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by redsun(m): 12:26pm On Aug 04, 2017
blackbeau1:
Most of them just want the status of practicing outside the country

It is not status,it is reward,security,and rest of mind. Nigerian is a rogue stare at the moment and mistakes successful doctors there are tge risk of being kidnapped any moment. Living in Nigeria at the moment as a successful person is like playing Russian roulette.

However, brain drain is destructive, but doctors are not exactly militants.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by blackbeau1(f): 12:30pm On Aug 04, 2017
thorpido:
Status?Do you know what a doctor in Nigeria earns and what a doctor abroad earns?Do you know it means to work in a clean environment and have equipments and drugs to work with?It's more than just mere status.It's a huge gap.
notice I said some . In my dept , I used to handle the paychecks some months and I know of some of them who were earning better in Nigeria but moved outside.as for the equipments, I'm sure you know National Hospital is well equipped.

1 Like

Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by blackbeau1(f): 12:31pm On Aug 04, 2017
Spuggie:

Did you bother to read the write up?
nah. I can't read.
Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by ivolt: 12:32pm On Aug 04, 2017
thorpido:
Status?Do you know what a doctor in Nigeria earns and what a doctor abroad earns?Do you know it means to work in a clean environment and have equipments and drugs to work with?It's more than just mere status.It's a huge gap.

It is impossible for Nigeria to pay its doctors the same wage as USA or UK,
in fact, no developing economy, not even china or russia can match those
pay.

Countries have different salary scale because of different national economies.
But because our doctors are money-chasers, they will go anywhere that
can pay better.

2 Likes

Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by otokx(m): 12:33pm On Aug 04, 2017
95% or more of Nigerians seek the same so the doctors are not doing badly.

1 Like

Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by sartorius(m): 12:36pm On Aug 04, 2017
Entry level post internship salary Nigeria 150,000 UK 1,500,000 naira per month. Abegi.its not worth it

1 Like

Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by Nigeriadondie: 12:37pm On Aug 04, 2017
mcquin:
Too bad. While I condemn the government already, many of us are so unwilling to make sacrifices. Other persons made sacrifices to better their country.
The Nigerian doctor lives almost above average and it's the only career professional in Nigeria that enjoys good privileges as job-guarantee and good pay.
We must all learn to live our country. I want to leave Nigeria only to improve myself, come back and give back to Nigeria as Awolowo and Azikiwe did. God bless Nigeria.
Nigeria is not worth sacrificing for. If those ruling us are not willing tonsacrifice their bogus salaries to free up resources to invest in our infrastructure then d sacrifice of just one person wud be so little to make any meaningful impact.
If u ve spoken with Nigerian professionals in d diaspora who really desire to make their contribution and how the govt wud frustrate d meaningful effort of such ones then u wud not be saying what u said.
The system is so rotten that it forbids progressive effort to make a positive change.
Nigeria is doomed.

10 Likes

Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by thorpido(m): 12:39pm On Aug 04, 2017
ivolt:

pay.

But because our doctors are money-chasers, they will go anywhere that
can pay better.
That's true but there is something called 'real wage'.You have to look at economic indices in the country and draw up a salary structure when inflation is put into consideration.A doctor abroad will earn about $6000 a month.That of course cannot be paid in Nigeria so we are not saying pay that but the whole health sector has to be overhauled.
Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by Ximenez(m): 12:40pm On Aug 04, 2017
ivolt:

pay.

But owing them for six months or paying them half salary for three months is uncalled for and so is making them work in rat infested hospitals with leaking room.

Money is not everything but happiness is everything.

As a Doctor, if you have modern equipment at your disposal to do your calling by saving lives, even with a salary that is not that huge but decent and constant. You'll be happy and motivated, after all, Medicine is a vocation.

I see Nigeria as a jungle, when I'm ready and strong enough, I'll leave. I can't bring my child into this part of the world.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by Martin0(m): 12:41pm On Aug 04, 2017
MissRaine69:
If the man in charge of the country seeks treatment abroad what more is there to say?
aaaaaa na wa oooo na to follow suit na
Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by thorpido(m): 12:44pm On Aug 04, 2017
blackbeau1:
notice I said some . In my dept , I used to handle the paychecks some months and I know of some of them who were earning better in Nigeria but moved outside.as for the equipments, I'm sure you know National Hospital is well equipped.
You'll move my dear if you see the opportunity.The difference is much.It's just the working environment,not just the pay.
I can say doctors who don't want to move abroad don't just because they don't want to live abroad.

National hospital may be fairly well-equipped but you know only few doctors will work there.Do you know what it means to work in a General Hospital somewhere in the north?

2 Likes

Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by blackbeau1(f): 12:46pm On Aug 04, 2017
thorpido:
You'll move my dear if you see the opportunity.The difference is much.It's just the working environment,not just the pay.
I can say doctors who don't want to move abroad don't just because they don't want to live abroad.

National hospital may be fairly well-equipped but you know only few doctors will work there.Do you know what it means to work in a General Hospital somewhere in the north?
Hence I said 'Some' doctors. I took into account that not every doctor works at a federal hospital.

1 Like

Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by ndat(m): 12:54pm On Aug 04, 2017
maxiuc:
.even our president seek doctors outside
All our political office holders do same
Nigeria keep losing their best to other countries

they only come back to bury the dead ones.....burial ground
Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by thorpido(m): 12:55pm On Aug 04, 2017
blackbeau1:
Hence I said 'Some' doctors. I took into account that not every doctor works at a federal hospital.
Okay but its more of an exception that the general desire.
Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by AJCs(m): 12:57pm On Aug 04, 2017
If you don't knw what or how to comment abt d post, go to our hospitals and ask abt evrtin being faced by health workers generally.
I am an health worker. If this trend is not properly checked and worked on, it will be worse in 10 yeras' time as most of the foreign countries where those professionals ply their trade knw their worth.

3 Likes

Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by Nobody: 1:00pm On Aug 04, 2017
mcquin:
Too bad. While I condemn the government already, many of us are so unwilling to make sacrifices. Other persons made sacrifices to better their country.
The Nigerian doctor lives almost above average and it's the only career professional in Nigeria that enjoys good privileges as job-guarantee and good pay.
We must all learn to live our country. I want to leave Nigeria only to improve myself, come back and give back to Nigeria as Awolowo and Azikiwe did. God bless Nigeria.
I salute your patrotisim but there is a limit on how far you can go in Nigeria. The system just doesn't work. There is problem whichever direction you look and sometimes it appears there is no hope of things getting better. You have only one life to live.

5 Likes

Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by smileyoo: 1:04pm On Aug 04, 2017
if you 're a doctor & most of the time, you keep loosing patients to the cold hands of death due to poor medical equipments, lack of quality drugs, especially when you know the patients would 've survived if given the right treatment, what 'll you do if given an opportunity to opt out of such a brutish system to a decent one? every action is not based on money alone.

6 Likes

Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by kaydp: 1:10pm On Aug 04, 2017
blackbeau1:
Most of them just want the status of practicing outside the country
It's what you think

1 Like

Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by joyandfaith: 1:10pm On Aug 04, 2017
worlexy:
The remaining 12% are seriously working on jetting out too
that it is. other are even porting to other businesses. soon, Nigeria will soon be importing doctors.

1 Like

Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by ceaser: 1:13pm On Aug 04, 2017
Over the past 6 months, twelve (12) doctor friends have escaped for their lives into countries such as UK, SA, Australia, Canada, US, Germany, in that descending order. 9 of them are practicing doctors in their various destinations having written and passed the professional exam requirements of the various countries before leaving Nigeria. Others are there on postgraduate studies, but their target is to write their licencing exams and end up practicing medicine there.

My sibling is currently on the second step of the licencing exam. Close to 500 medical doctors sat for the IELTS earlier this year compared to just 30 four years ago.

Meanwhile, the useless health minister is currently brewing more problems in the health ministry and the agencies under it viz:

NHIS: Attempting to sack the NHIS executive secretary because he would not meet Adéwolé's unscrupulous financial demands and looting of the NHIS in connivance with the insurance providers.

:In the various Teaching Hospitals and other federal tertiary health institutions, there is dearth of doctors. In some, new house officers have not been employed to replace the ones that have left for over six months. Meanwhile there are hordes of fresh medical graduates who have been searching for places to do their internship as required by the MDCN, without which they cannot proceed to full registration from the provisional registration they currently have. If they fail to do internship within 2 years of graduation, they risk forfeiting their provisional registration status, needing them to resit the medical qualification exams all over again.

The so called residents exit the system when they complete their training. New residents are not employed to replace those that have exited the system leading to a pile up of aspiring ones with primaries qualification out there not getting places to run their programme. Meanwhile the primaries requirement for residency expires within 5 years if the bearer does not find a place to run his programme, also requiring his reapplying for and re-writing the primaries exams (which I think costs about 90 thousand naira currently)

Now here is the plot: The names of the house officers and the residents that have exited the system are still kept on the payroll of the hospitals and the salaries still come with the hospitals' allocations, but these ghost workers' pays are shared by the hospitals' accountants, MDs/CMDs/CEOs and also staffs of the federal ministry of health under the tutelage of the minister himself. Meanwhile the consultants who exit the system after training also are in their hundreds hunting for jobs out there.

Another favorite pastime of the Minister of health and the hospital CEOs as I am made to understand is to deliberately keep creating and fueling chaos in health sector amongst professionals (eg Johesu vs Doctors). This is based on the principle of "making more money in times of chaos and wars" and this is achieved through the release of various contradicting circulars from the ministry itself on a simple singular, straightforward issue.

Equipment's and infrastructure are all at an all time low. Only 3 centers in the whole nation boasts of a radiotherapy machine, the three not functioning optimally all at the same time or at any one time. If the Federal government ever budget and release the monies for such, the FMoH and the various hospital CEOs will rather spend the money allocated to procure such or at best get mediocres and second nd replacements and share the remains of the loots.

These are just a few of the evils that plague that sector in the country and is partly responsible or the unremitting brain drain.

It is germain that journalists an writers who are the conscience of the people (masses) understand the workings of this intricate machinery constructed by the various saboteurs in the health sector thru which they loot funds, inform the public appropriately amd even some workers in the health sector as well, who have been successfully brainwashed into believing that mutual suspicion is the panacea and acting out the script of their puppet masters (FMoH and the hospital CEOs) ia the solution.

Ceaser writes in from Lagos for Nairaland editorial.

14 Likes

Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by Ugosample(m): 1:14pm On Aug 04, 2017
It's very very unfortunate
Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by ceaser: 1:24pm On Aug 04, 2017
Spuggie:

Did you bother to read the write up?

Obviously she didn't. But that's okay. The public most time see the Nigerian doctors as the problem. The government are spared of any hatred or blames, hence their audacity to keep the hospitals, mostly used by the public, in perpetual infrastructural decay while they (the government) travel overseas to treat Malaria; can you imagine malaria, a predominantly tropical disease whose management is expected to be the best in the tropics.

4 Likes

Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by DjSwaga(m): 1:30pm On Aug 04, 2017
98% please

2 Likes

Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by ceaser: 1:32pm On Aug 04, 2017
sartorius:
Entry level post internship salary Nigeria 150,000 UK 1,500,000 naira per month. Abegi.its not worth it

grin grin grin
You are right, but the naysayers, the "medicine is sacrifice", "medicine is a philanthropy", "doctors too like money" crew will come for your head soon.

2 Likes

Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by eaglechild: 1:33pm On Aug 04, 2017
ceaser:
Over the past 6 months, twelve (12) doctor friends have escaped for their lives into countries such as UK, SA, Australia, Canada, US, Germany, in that descending order. 9 of them are practicing doctors in their various destinations having written and passed the professional exam requirements of the various countries before leaving Nigeria. Others are there on postgraduate studies, but their target is to write their licencing exams and end up practicing medicine there.

My sibling is currently on the second step of the licencing exam. Close to 500 medical doctors sat for the IELTS earlier this year compared to just 30 four years ago.

Meanwhile, the useless health minister is currently brewing more problems in the health ministry and the agencies under it viz:

NHIS: Attempting to sack the NHIS executive secretary because he would not meet Adéwolé's unscrupulous financial demands and looting of the NHIS in connivance with the insurance providers.

:In the various Teaching Hospitals and other federal tertiary health institutions, there is dearth of doctors. In some, new house officers have not been employed to replace the ones that have left for over six months. Meanwhile there are hordes of fresh medical graduates who have been searching for places to do their internship as required by the MDCN, without which they cannot proceed to full registration from the provisional registration they currently have. If they fail to do internship within 2 years of graduation, they risk forfeiting their provisional registration status, needing them to resit the medical qualification exams all over again.

The so called residents exit the system when they complete their training. New residents are not employed to replace those that have exited the system leading to a pile up of aspiring ones with primaries qualification out there not getting places to run their programme. Meanwhile the primaries requirement for residency expires within 5 years if the bearer does not find a place to run his programme, also requiring his reapplying for and re-writing the primaries exams (which I think costs about 90 thousand naira currently)

Now here is the plot: The names of the house officers and the residents that have exited the system are still kept on the payroll of the hospitals and the salaries still come with the hospitals' allocations, but these ghost workers' pays are shared by the hospitals' accountants, MDs/CMDs/CEOs and also staffs of the federal ministry of health under the tutelage of the minister himself. Meanwhile the consultants who exit the system after training also are in their hundreds hunting for jobs out there.

Another favorite pastime of the Minister of health and the hospital CEOs as I am made to understand is to deliberately keep creating and fueling chaos in health sector amongst professionals (eg Johesu vs Doctors). This is based on the principle of "making more money in times of chaos and wars" and this is achieved through the release of various contradicting circulars from the ministry itself on a simple singular, straightforward issue.

Equipment's and infrastructure are all at an all time low. Only 3 centers in the whole nation boasts of a radiotherapy machine, the three not functioning optimally all at the same time or at any one time. If the Federal government ever budget and release the monies for such, the FMoH and the various hospital CEOs will rather spend the money allocated to procure such or at best get mediocres and second nd replacements and share the remains of the loots.

These are just a few of the evils that plague that sector in the country and is partly responsible or the unremitting brain drain.

It is germain that journalists an writers who are the conscience of the people (masses) understand the workings of this intricate machinery constructed by the various saboteurs in the health sector thru which they loot funds, inform the public appropriately amd even some workers in the health sector as well, who have been successfully brainwashed into believing that mutual suspicion is the panacea and acting out the script of their puppet masters (FMoH and the hospital CEOs) ia the solution.

Ceaser writes in from Lagos for Nairaland editorial.
You have a good grasp of the goings on in the health sector.

The alarming thing now is that an increasing number of newly qualified fellows are leaving the country. These are people that have spent years in specialist training.
Sad

6 Likes

Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by kraftyiyk: 1:34pm On Aug 04, 2017
The Health sector is dying, just like every other sector, and politicians are not bodered because they have the finance to jet out when they become sick, some of the heartless ones even dare owe salaries, afterall there own Dr's are in india and UK.

Those who are saying the national hospitals are equipped should pls make use of Google to see what it means to have Modern equipments, do we even have ordinary constant power to operate those antiquated equipments on ground?

On security, Dr's these days have become easy target's for kidnappers and men of the under world.

Someone should start some kind of revolution!!! if not in years ahead will be worst than today.

This is a National impending doom, yet nobody seems to care until it hits us below belt like economic recession!

8 Likes

Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by Nobody: 1:45pm On Aug 04, 2017
mcquin:

Bros,Improve yassef here nau!
The doctors are going out to get decent wages, after which they too will return.
Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by ceaser: 1:48pm On Aug 04, 2017
eaglechild:

You have a good grasp of the goings on in the health sector.

The alarming thing now is that an increasing number of newly qualified fellows are leaving the country. These are people that have spent years in specialist training.
Sad

So sad.
Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by Ugosample(m): 1:57pm On Aug 04, 2017
mykl01:

Bros,Improve yassef here nau!
The doctors are going out to get decent wages, after which they too will return.

Return to where

grin grin

Most of them are not returning o

no decieve yourself o
Re: NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad by ocheejemb: 2:01pm On Aug 04, 2017
Can't blame them, 100% of the current Nigerian President is seeking medical treatment abroad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Five Mistakes That Can Wreck A Healthy Diet / Cure To Mastibation (solutions) / Coronavirus: NCDC Accredits Two Testing Labs In Ogun And Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.