Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,826 members, 7,802,642 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:08 PM

Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime (8278 Views)

VIDEO: Flavour – Power To Win / If U Had The Power To Re-unite A Musical Group, Which Would It Be? / Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by shotuns: 11:19am On Feb 11, 2010
Fellow Nigerians , have you read this? , How true is this ooh?

Microsoft and Nigeria have released a song and video as part of a campaign to dissuade people from getting involved in cybercrime.

The song, "Maga need no pay", is part of Microsoft's Internet Safety Security and Privacy Initiative for Nigeria. "Maga" means victim. The song also references "yahoo-yahoo," a slang term for so-called advance free fraud (AFF) scams.

AFF scams can involve letters or e-mail sent to either random or targeted victims. The scam invariably involved tricking the victim into sending money on the belief they will receive a greater sum later.

AFFs are also referred to as 419 scams, named after the part of the Nigerian criminal code that deals with fraud, due to the prevalence of the scams that originate in the country.

Nigeria's Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has increased its efforts to try stop the scams, but perpetrators are numerous and highly organized. Members of Microsoft's Digital Crimes Unit are meeting this week in Abuja, Nigeria, with the EFCC to discuss ways to fight the scams in west Africa.

"419 scams have taken root in Nigeria's popular culture," wrote Tim Cranton, associate general counsel for Microsoft on a company blog. "Scammers enjoy a rebellious, 'cool' mystique, even producing songs and music videos that celebrate their own audacity."

Microsoft and other large Internet companies have taken a particular interest in AFF scams in recent years. One variation of the fraud involves sending spam e-mail using, for example, Microsoft's logos and informing people that they've won a fictitious lottery held by the company.

The song's lyrics, which are in English, say there's pride in honest work, and that AFFs and other cybercrimes give Nigeria a bad name.

"I don't need no maga -- just work harder," raps Nigerian-American artist Banky W
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/188539/nigeria_uses_celebrity_power_to_stem_cybercrime.html
Re: Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by mystikal(m): 2:57pm On Feb 11, 2010
Not the worst idea!

Cool song too!
Re: Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by tayoast(m): 3:16pm On Feb 11, 2010
i nly hope those 'boys' are listening & heeding
Re: Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by Suntemi(m): 4:27pm On Feb 11, 2010
tayo_ast:

i nly hope those 'boys' are listening & heeding
shey na song go make them heed? laja!!!
Re: Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by akigbemaru: 4:55pm On Feb 11, 2010
Free all these people jo! They have only collected a tiny of a colossal iceberg from reparation dues to be paid for West Africans from the most advanced crime ever committed by human (slavery) and dues for stolen West African relics and artifacts.[color=#000099][/color]

Musicians, remember you are all got paid and make fame in the process, but you forgot about common man on the street that struggles against abject poverty. Until government spreads the wealth around, rammu-rammu or Yahoo-yahoo will keep digging maga arses.
Re: Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by eros(m): 4:56pm On Feb 11, 2010
Nice song, but doesn't give an alternative job to the so called Yahoo boys to do. Talk is cheap, but getting the real work done is difficult. Not that i am in support of the AFF scams, but lets be realistic. These boys have made alot of money from these scams and if you want them to quit, then you need to give them an alternative job, that will earn them a decent paycheck and living. Nigeria is one big joke and until we start to get things right, there will always be AFF scams, drug peddling, money rituals and other evil ways of making quick money.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Re: Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by idifu(m): 5:08pm On Feb 11, 2010
once the economy of Nigeria is ok and Nigeria becomes a better place to live where every citizen would be proud to be a Nigerian, then crime rate would go down  the govt know this it is just that they are wicked, they dont care about the masses but themselves , the song  would change nothing. Most of these guys got involved in all of these scams cuz  it's hard to survive in dis country
Re: Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by rovinghigh: 5:21pm On Feb 11, 2010
Re: Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by blackcypha(m): 6:21pm On Feb 11, 2010
who r d artistes?
Re: Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by Nobody: 7:06pm On Feb 11, 2010
They should sing for those politicians instead, they are nigeria's problem. I have lot of friends that are graduates and still looking for job for over 2yrs now.

In as much as i dont support yahoo yahoo, but youths are getting fustrated day by day in nigeria. Even those ones that wants to earn an honest living can even find an honest means,
Re: Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by nich(m): 7:09pm On Feb 11, 2010
idifu:

once the economy of Nigeria is ok and Nigeria becomes a better place to live where every citizen would be proud to be a Nigerian, then crime rate would go down  the govt know this it is just that they are wicked, they dont care about the masses but themselves , the song  would change nothing. Most of these guys got involved in all of these scams cuz  it's hard to survive in dis country

Three! good point ma guy!  cheesy
Re: Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by enekwizu14(m): 7:12pm On Feb 11, 2010
Na God go punish the fool wey write and bring up this issue,i'm not refferin to the poster on naira land.can u imagine the audacity,that we are singin  songs like"yahoozee" with audacity,whose bleeping business is it.they(these white fools)are are singing about drug money and prostitution,yet they come to tell us such songs like "maga don pay" is bad.i dont encourage yahoo or scammin,but words like this can "push you to the limit".they should remove the log from thier own eye before tryin to remove the one from mine,or else the might end up losin both.i mean what rubish.
Re: Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by Nobody: 7:49pm On Feb 11, 2010
talk is cheap
Re: Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by Hendryx(m): 8:03pm On Feb 11, 2010
hmmmmmmmmm
Re: Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by dkings101(m): 8:17pm On Feb 11, 2010
I wanna qoute on Gadafi comment on UN meeting last year Sept 2009. He said:

"I ask my African brothers and sisters why are they travelling so far crossing Libya going to European Countries? They replied "Sir, we are going back to take what our Colonial master took from our land", so am asking all Colonial masters to pay back in Trillion Dollars what they have taken from the African or else, watever they do to get back what the thieves (colonial master) had taken from the Africa way, I think they are doing the Just thing"

I think my answer is answered, and mind U, "Maga is everly a Maga", no matter the Publicity, they are still maga.
Re: Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by maedan(f): 8:18pm On Feb 11, 2010
Nice song but I don't really see it changing the mindset of the many hardened Internet fraudsters. The message was a bit too "lollipopped" for me. But I enjoyed the vid and song for entertainment purposes. By the way, wetin dey shack Dele Momodu, lol. Did u guys see Nneka from BB in the vid??
Re: Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by ayettymama(f): 8:23pm On Feb 11, 2010
o yea

to the honest- intelligent hard working ones

STAND UP!!!!!

BLING-BRILLIANT LEGITIMATE INSPIRED NIGERIAN GREAT!!

DAYUUUM MI IS GOOD!
Re: Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by izby(m): 8:26pm On Feb 11, 2010
there are most to look into rather than sturbing this boys who find their way with white people, if these boys should stop, they might start doing it local and that will be another problem for the nation. because of this yahoo job rate of arm robbery have reduce to kidnapping in naija.
Re: Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by maedan(f): 8:31pm On Feb 11, 2010
izby:

there are most to look into rather than sturbing this boys who find their way with white people, if these boys should stop, they might start doing it local and that will be another problem for the nation. because of this yahoo job rate of arm robbery have reduce to kidnapping in naija.

Lol, too funny. Armed robbery has reduced to kidnapping. Rotf!! Some pple will prefer to be robbed than to be kidnapped though. But I get your point.  (still LolRotflmaoing)!!!
Re: Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by TruMantra(m): 8:55pm On Feb 11, 2010
The last line of the article reads "I don't need no maga -- just work harder," raps Nigerian-American artist Banky W

Correct me if I am wrong but Banky W IS NOT Nigerian-American. He is Nigerian. Why is the article subtly trying to allude to the fact that this is a partially Nigerian artiste doing something positive?

What in the world is Nigerian-American anyway? An American of Nigerian origin I would assume.
Nigerian-American ko, American-Nigerian ni!
Re: Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by Nobody: 9:01pm On Feb 11, 2010
dkings101:

I wanna qoute on Gadafi comment on UN meeting last year Sept 2009. He said:

"I ask my African brothers and sisters why are they travelling so far crossing Libya going to European Countries? They replied "Sir, we are going back to take what our Colonial master took from our land", so am asking all Colonial masters to pay back in Trillion Dollars what they have taken from the African or else, watever they do to get back what the thieves (colonial master) had taken from the Africa way, I think they are doing the Just thing"

I think my answer is answered, and mind U, "Maga is everly a Maga", no matter the Publicity, they are still maga.
And if maga jam Nigerians Africans, Maga must pay. Owo ti won je awon baba nla wa ni won san yen
Re: Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by illusion2: 9:13pm On Feb 11, 2010
Welcome development.

The decay in the society is fast warping our ability to reason properly.

This is the initial 'Maga don Pay' which Microsoft & co are trying to correct/respond to :

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7iJzgxoFiM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&[/flash]
Re: Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by Nobody: 9:28pm On Feb 11, 2010
maedan:

Lol, too funny. Armed robbery has reduced to kidnapping. Rotf!! Some pple will prefer to be robbed than to be kidnapped though. But I get your point. (still LolRotflmaoing)!!!
izby:

Get what you mean, its like choosing between two devils. But I think yahoo-yahoo is better than your other alternatives i.e kidnapping and armed robbery (in their other of "betterness"wink lol
Re: Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by hilli666(m): 9:30pm On Feb 11, 2010
Microsoft should first review their history, before trying to preach ethics to desprate and impecunious Nigerians. If you see opportunity and refuse to take it because Banky and Microsoft said so  well "Na ya own fault b dat" Na u come b d maga"
Re: Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by maedan(f): 9:32pm On Feb 11, 2010
naijamark:

Get what you mean, its like choosing between two devils. But I think yahoo-yahoo is better than your other alternatives i.e kidnapping and armed robbery (in their other of "betterness"wink lol

Correct. Because 419 has mostly Westerners as victims. Armed robbery and kidnap is just too close to home. Anyway, all of the above is damaging our international profile so we should say no to the three.
Re: Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by beewhyfocs(m): 9:36pm On Feb 11, 2010
ifedy:

And if maga jam Nigerians Africans, Maga must pay. Owo ti won je awon baba nla wa ni won san yen

By the way, are ladies involved in yahoo-yahoo stuffs?
Re: Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by Nobody: 10:20pm On Feb 11, 2010
beewhyfocs:

By the way, are ladies involved in yahoo-yahoo stuffs?

Oh boy shine ur eyes well well, this is nigeria where anything can happen. If an unconscious president can sign the budget, what else can not happen.
By the way me no dey yahoo anypesin o
Re: Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by beewhyfocs(m): 10:31pm On Feb 11, 2010
ifedy:

Oh boy shine your eyes well well, this is nigeria where anything can happen. If an unconscious president can sign the budget, what else can not happen.
By the way me no dey yahoo anypesin o

Anyway, thank God for you oo even though you are sounding ecstatic as if Maga just paid! grin
Re: Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by whiteroses(f): 11:02pm On Feb 11, 2010
banky of all people what naija boy hasn't maga at one point in his life? lol cool song, you heared that people maga no need pay
Re: Nigeria Uses Celebrity Power To Stem Cybercrime by chelseabmw(m): 11:15pm On Feb 11, 2010
hahahahahaa, i pray this song touches all this YAHOO YAHOO boiz heart

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Olamide - Turn Up / Omini Crown Prince, Young Artiste Dazzles In New Photos / Video Premiere: ‘onye’ Waje Ft Tiwa Savage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.