Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,245 members, 7,807,826 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:03 PM

Urhobo Eschatology: Cult Of The Ancestors - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Urhobo Eschatology: Cult Of The Ancestors (1186 Views)

R--B--. A Cult Of The Sustainer, The Nourisher Of Mankind. / The Origin Of Urhobo People / Inside The Cult Of The Dead:the Macabre 'bone Yard' Cemetery In Naples(Graphic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Urhobo Eschatology: Cult Of The Ancestors by fratermathy(m): 9:05pm On Aug 04, 2017
Urhobo Eschatology: Cult of the Ancestors

Upon demise, and if the dead had lived a good life, certain ritualistic events and celebrations would be done to bid the dead farewell from the physical world (akpo-amre) to the ancestral realm (erivwin), like others who have aspired to and joined the cult of the ancestors (ese-emo and ini-emo) through their deeds. This ancestral domain is the Urhobo analogue of heaven (odjuvwu) in Judeo-Christian eschatology. It is also believed that no one is born outside his/her extended family (ekru). The soul (erhi) is bound to a family both in the physical and spiritual worlds. The first son or oldest living son is always the priest of the lineage in the physical world.

As the deceased journeys through the entrails of death to the ancestral realm, the events that occurred in his/her life would be reflected upon and on whether or not the soul (erhi) achieved its purpose; the one which was predestined at Urhoro, the gateway where life on earth is midwifed. At the arrival of the soul at erivwin, the cult of the ancestors (esemo/iniemo) will be there to welcome it. The deceased's father or mother (depending on gender -as the Urhobos believe that men and women are initiated into different gender based ancestral groups) will also be there. Death on earth is birth in the ancestral realm.

As a member of the ancestral cult, the newly deceased's descendants would immortalise him/her through a shrine built for such purpose. Prayers would be said to the dead by the offsprings. The newly dead would also negotiate with the ancestors on behalf of his/her descendants, reveal secrets and be at the reach of his/her first son or oldest living son, the designated priest of the newly built shrine.

The ancestral collectivity (esemo/iniemo) determines which soul is to reincarnate into the world of the living (especially when there are purposes to be served or lessons to be learnt as Urhobos do not believe in complete metempsychosis or reincarnation). If selected, the soul would undergo another ritualistic process to bid farewell to the ancestral realm. However, it must first reach Urhoho where the Akashic records (spiritual archives of past lives) are reviewed. Based on various permutations, of which karma is an integral factor, the soul predestines its entire life ritualistically. Oghene ratifies the declared destiny, and the soul leaves erivwin, inhabits a new body (ugboma) anywhere in its extended family, draws first breath (enwen esosuo) and becomes a living being (ohwo r'akpo).

If the dead lived an evil life, the ancestors would cast such soul from their fold. Any soul that is not affiliated with an ekru (family) is left to wander for all eternity, sometimes transforming into malevolent spirits. This is the Urhobo analogue of hell (erhare). This fate is also suffered by those who were not buried properly, those who died from mysterious ailments, and those who were expunged from the ancestral clan for one reason or another through specific rituals by the family members on earth. These souls can not reincarnate, and their existence becomes limited to the largely unknown psychic realms.

-Iroro Orhero

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Urhobo Eschatology: Cult Of The Ancestors by fratermathy(m): 9:06pm On Aug 04, 2017
Contributions are welcomed

cc:
Sanchez01
Efewestern
Opharhe
Onosprince
DBriteLitehouse
Nicho118
Scionofurhobo
Caringguy
Leriebloom
Igholize
DavidEsq
Fifthcolumnist
Efeski
Sevantex
mulattoclaroo
Daphey
Amberon11
Mavor
Afriifa
K9ine
Nairaman66
Drstainlex
Erumena
Akoko11
BraniacX
Sexina851
LKO
Basilovie
Kirigidi
Lalasticlala
Seun
TheKingisHere

3 Likes

Re: Urhobo Eschatology: Cult Of The Ancestors by Efewestern: 9:09pm On Aug 04, 2017
glad people like mathy still promotes the believe of the urhobo people, but don't be surprise most urhobo will ignore this thread because to them if it ain't Christ then it's evil.

seun and lalasticlala do the needful.
Re: Urhobo Eschatology: Cult Of The Ancestors by Sanchez01: 9:24pm On Aug 04, 2017
This post reminds me of the passing of my maternal grandfather in 2006. He was a pure soul who passed on at 120 and was never bedridden for once.

The Anglican church rejected the ancestors cult for him because he was a priest almost all his life.

Besides, is the first breath not called 'enwen esosuo' as opposed to the 'enwen ovo'?

1 Like

Re: Urhobo Eschatology: Cult Of The Ancestors by Efewestern: 9:28pm On Aug 04, 2017
Sanchez01:
This post reminds me of the passing of my maternal grandfather in 2006. He was a pure soul who passed on at 120 and was never bedridden for once.

The Anglican church rejected the ancestors cult for him because he was a priest almost all his life.

Besides, is the first breath not called 'enwen esosuo' as opposed to the 'enwen ovo'?

yes must church do reject it, The ancestor cult is seen as an evil sacrifice to them, and it take up to 7 days to complete the rite.
Re: Urhobo Eschatology: Cult Of The Ancestors by Sanchez01: 9:33pm On Aug 04, 2017
Efewestern:

yes must church do reject it, The ancestor cult is seen as an evil sacrifice to them, and it take up to 7 days to complete the rite.
True. The church rejected my grandfather's but it didn't prevent his children from partying for three days.

The church tool over almost everything and didn't take their leave until he was finally laid to rest. I fear the ancestor's cult, really.
Re: Urhobo Eschatology: Cult Of The Ancestors by dollytino4real(f): 9:37pm On Aug 04, 2017
anything outside Christian should thrown away. urhobo ovo ovo
Re: Urhobo Eschatology: Cult Of The Ancestors by fratermathy(m): 9:44pm On Aug 04, 2017
Sanchez01:

Thank you for that observation. It actually crossed my mind.

Many of our ancient Urhobo beliefs have withered away. The few existing ones will not survive this generation. It is imperative to document some of these things. If not for anything but for the sake of posterity. We cannot forgo our entire culture to embrace that of another. Even if we must, we should at least, make sure that they are documented.

1 Like

Re: Urhobo Eschatology: Cult Of The Ancestors by Efewestern: 9:44pm On Aug 04, 2017
Sanchez01:

True. The church rejected my grandfather's but it didn't prevent his children from partying for three days.

The church tool over almost everything and didn't take their leave until he was finally laid to rest. I fear the ancestor's cult, really.

after they buried him, didn't your family continue with the remaining 3days rituals?, if they didn't then the ancestors cult was not done.

I know little about ancestors cult thou

dollytino4real:

so you mean we should forget our root because you re a Christian? like seriously?
Re: Urhobo Eschatology: Cult Of The Ancestors by fratermathy(m): 9:49pm On Aug 04, 2017
dollytino4real:

Can you explain what you mean (I really don't get it)?
Re: Urhobo Eschatology: Cult Of The Ancestors by dollytino4real(f): 9:50pm On Aug 04, 2017
Efewestern:

after they buried him, didn't your family continue with the remaining 3days rituals?, if they didn't then the ancestors cult was not done.

so you mean we should forget our root because you re a Christian? like seriously?
wat re those rite 4? it maks u spend more 'waste'
Re: Urhobo Eschatology: Cult Of The Ancestors by dollytino4real(f): 9:54pm On Aug 04, 2017
fratermathy:

Can you explain what you mean (I really don't get it)?
ese-mo n oni-mo tins were u ve to scarifice n pour drinks to deities is wat i meant
Re: Urhobo Eschatology: Cult Of The Ancestors by fratermathy(m): 9:57pm On Aug 04, 2017
dollytino4real:
ese-mo n oni-mo tins were u ve to scarifice n pour drinks to deities is wat i meant

Yes but that was the reality and would have still remained so if the Christian missionaries had not come to Urhoboland. This is our culture and way of life. Even if you don't believe in it for whatever reasons, you should not castigate it as you did.
Re: Urhobo Eschatology: Cult Of The Ancestors by dollytino4real(f): 10:04pm On Aug 04, 2017
fratermathy:

Yes but that was the reality and would have still remained so if the Christian missionaries had not come to Urhoboland. This is our culture and way of life. Even if you don't believe in it for whatever reasons, you should not castigate it as you did.
sorry sir, enjoy ur urhobo tradition
Re: Urhobo Eschatology: Cult Of The Ancestors by Sanchez01: 9:29am On Aug 05, 2017
Efewestern:

They never did, actually. Just partying for three days and that ended it.
Re: Urhobo Eschatology: Cult Of The Ancestors by OLORIPAPA: 4:05pm On Aug 05, 2017
Hmm what an interesting piece...never heard about it at any time.
Re: Urhobo Eschatology: Cult Of The Ancestors by jantavanta(m): 5:58pm On Aug 05, 2017
Urhobo eschatology has a contribution to Abraham. City of Ur is from Urhobo.
Re: Urhobo Eschatology: Cult Of The Ancestors by BuddhaPalm(m): 11:15am On Aug 29, 2017
This is very sophisticated.

1 Like

Re: Urhobo Eschatology: Cult Of The Ancestors by OLORIPAPA: 7:13am On Aug 30, 2017
Hmmm,what a revelation?

(1) (Reply)

Bibo Asiri Owo Tutu / Climate Change: Osinbajo Advocates Climate Justice, More Energy For Africa / Omo Offa Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.