Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,397 members, 7,808,429 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:48 AM

Veil - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Veil (10175 Views)

The Feeling Behind The Veil / Sequel: Behind Her Veil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Veil by ADECULATE(f): 5:37am On Aug 29, 2017
jagugu88li:
There's 1 man like that thinking he can get away with nonsense. I wanna experiment na
You sef.....cant a girl be shot of petrol money? have a candle but no matchstick to lighten the house? Ohh ypu live in Aso rock so ypur house shine like that everyday abi? grin

These two people ontop will be disturbing me upandon yet fight dey for there. Make I collect my weapons esaypee

Where be my military men sef na? ROYH call on the squad to quickly report for duty. Tell Girlhaley shit dey for here, so she needs to come prepared....I. SAID. FULL. ARMOUR. That Lawlahdey of a lieutenant must bring the submarine squad. We are tired of this man.

Left, right
Left, right
Match match.........

Hadamspon and Adesina12 we will call you after we are finished here......prepare
lol, no prob bt i hope u wont mind if i tag along??
Re: Veil by duch12(m): 7:15pm On Aug 29, 2017
Episode 12

My father stood like a statue looking at my mother. He still hasn’t recovered from the shock of the slap he got from my mother. My mother hissed and walked to where I and Zahra sat, she took Zahra’s hand took her to the room. I slowly stood up and followed them, leaving my father still standing.
“I don’t want to get married now Inna.” Zahra said crying.
“Forget what your father said Zahra. You are not getting married anytime soon. You will go to school like other girls. I promise you. You will go to school and become a great woman.” My mother drew Zahra closer and hugged her tightly. Tears were rolling down my mother’s cheeks.
My father pushed me from the door and entered the room. I fell on my on my knees. He was holding a belt and grumbling like a wounded animal. He started beating my mother and Zahra. My mother shielded Zahra and was receiving the beating. I stood up and rushed to try stopping my father. He kicked me with his leg and started beating the three of us. He stopped and left after beating us to his satisfaction.
My mother packed Zahra’s luggage after cooking breakfast. She called me and Zahra into her room. We sat on the bed and looked at each other confused. She smiled when she saw the confusion in our eyes.
“I am not leaving.” She said and sat down in-between us, putting her hands on our shoulders. “I want to take Zahra somewhere far from your father.”
“Won’t Baba be angry with you when he gets to know about this?” I asked a little bit worried.
“I don’t care what your father will do. I can’t allow him get Zahra married.”
“Where are you taking her to?”
“I am taking her to my uncle’s place in Kano.”
“Have you talked to your uncle yet?”
“I will talk to him when I get to Kano.”
“When will you come back?”
“Today.”
“I wish you a safe journey.” I said and turned to Zahra. “Zahra Inna has sacrificed a lot for us; please don’t get distracted by anything. I know you are a strong woman just like Inna.”
“I will do my best Yaya.”Zahra said almost in tears. I looked at her and smiled.
Zahra rushed into her the bathroom and took her bath then changed. I helped carried the luggage outside the house. The boarded two motorcycles that took them to the motor park.
My mother came back late in the night. I was in the sitting room when she knocked at the gate. I quickly went and opened the gate for her. I locked the gate after she entered and we walked to the sitting room.
“How was your journey?” I asked after she finished eating.
“It was fine. The car I entered had a punctured tyre that was why I came back late.”
“How are they going?”
“They are all doing well. They send their greetings.”
“How did it go with your uncle? What did he say about Zahra living with him?”
“He was happy I took the decision. He said he will be going to Lere a day after tomorrow and he will talk to Baba when he gets there.”
“That is better. You need to rest Inna, you look tired. We will talk tomorrow morning.”
“You are right let me go inside.” My mother said yawning.
She stood up and shuffled to her room. I switched off all the electronic appliances before going to my room.
The house was empty; my siblings have gone to school. I lie on the couch reading and my mother was in the kitchen when my father entered. I quickly dropped the book I was reading and sat up.
“Good afternoon.” I greeted him but he didn’t answer me.
He strides to his room, brought out a key from his breast pocket and opened the door. I shook my head, picked up the book and continued reading.
My siblings came back from school two hours later. They ate their meal, changed their clothes and had a small nap before going to Islamiyya in the evening. They came back around seven pm. We didn’t know my father have been noticing everything going on since he came back. He came out of his room and stood in front of the room with a frown on his face.
“Where is Zahra?” He asked looking around.
“All of you should get inside your rooms now.” My mother commanded.
We stood up immediately and went into our rooms. I stood behind the door in my room. I know the worst will happen tonight. I slightly opened the door to hear what will be said.
“Where is Zahra?” My father asked again, this time yelling.
“I took Zahra away from this house to somewhere she will get a better life.”
“Lauratu I want you to produce my daughter now or you will regret ever knowing me.”
“I have regretted a thousand times Musa . I won’t allow you ruin my daughter’s future.”
“For the last time Lauratu, where is Zahra?”
I peeped through the door. My father’s eyes were filled with hatred and anger. My mother hissed then walked to her room. My father folded his sleeves and started walking towards my mother’s room. I rushed out of the room and ran pass him. I locked the door from outside then removed the key and put it in my pocket. I turned and looked at my father who was stood surprised.
“Are you going to fight me also?” My father asked.
“I am not going to fight you.” I replied nervously.
“Then give me the key and go back to your room.” He commanded, stretching his hand forward.
“I am not giving you the key. I won’t allow you to beat her.” I said moving backward.
“You are now rebelling against me. It is not your fault. Your mother has trained you all to disrespect me. Give me the key now and I will pretend nothing happened now or I will forcefully collect the key, and you know what will happen when I use force.”
“I can’t give you the key Baba.”
“Do I look like your mate?” he asked moving forward.
I took three steps backward and my back touched the wall. I knew then I am in deep trouble. My father strides towards me angrily. A slap landed on my left cheeks and I went temporarily blind. I didn’t regain my sight when another slap hit my right cheek. My father made to remove the key from my pocket and I hurriedly held his hand.

3 Likes

Re: Veil by Lotiababe(f): 9:22pm On Aug 29, 2017
So sorry for Laura... But when will this man get sense? Nice update
Re: Veil by Smooth278(m): 9:11am On Aug 30, 2017
Nice one... Waiting for the next update... Meanwhile this man deserves all that he gets..
Re: Veil by donqx: 10:11am On Aug 30, 2017
nice
Re: Veil by kalu61(m): 10:47am On Aug 30, 2017
@Dush12.I really picked interest in your story when l learnt the charater had passion for microbiology.As a graduate of MCB and writer l wait the completion of you story before criticizing the story,the style,the english etc.You are doing a great job.l'm waiting for the emotionally and murderous end.
Re: Veil by piroux(f): 10:50am On Aug 30, 2017
This is a great story OP, i just feel sooo sad right now. cry
The reality is that things like this happen all the time....
Re: Veil by haykwin(f): 11:24am On Aug 30, 2017
and it was my first attempt at writing
duch12:

Thanks jagugu88li, I appreciate and I will make necessary corrections. The story was written around 2015 and it is my first attempt at writing.
Re: Veil by haykwin(f): 12:16pm On Aug 30, 2017
It's a nice piece, pls continue. Good to know d monster was killed eventually

.........patiently waiting............
Re: Veil by duch12(m): 1:01pm On Aug 30, 2017
haykwin:
and it was my first attempt at writing

Thanks for the correction,actually I have problem with tense. That's my major problem.
Re: Veil by duch12(m): 1:05pm On Aug 30, 2017
Episode 13

The first blow hits me on the jaw and blood seeped out. I let out a cry and held my jaw with one of my hand, the second one holding tight on the key. My father continued blowing and kicking me all over. I cried out as each blow and kick hits me. My mother started pounding on the door and yelling at me father to stop beating me. My siblings came out from their rooms and started crying. I fell on the floor as my father continued beating me. Blood was coming out from my mouth and nose. I made effort to stand up but couldn’t. I didn’t know when I passed out due to pains.
I woke up in the intensive care unit about a week later. I stared at my mother who sitting few inches from the bed. She became happy immediately she noticed I woke up. She ran out and came back some minutes later with the doctor. The doctor did some examination on me then turned to look at my mother.
“He will be fine. He won’t be able to talk due to his broken jaw. He is breathing fine so there is no need for him to be kept on oxygen.” The doctor said and smiled.
“Thank you doctor. I am very grateful.”
“You’re welcome ma’am. I will be going now. Feel free to come and call me anytime the need arises.”
“Ok.” My mother said.
“Later.”
The doctor turned and looked at me before going out of the ward. My mother drew the chair closer and sat down. She took my hand and started crying. I made effort to talk but couldn’t due to the excessive pain in my jaw.
“Don’t talk please. You have a broken jaw and nose. Two of your ribs are also broken and you have a fracture in your left leg.” My mother said. The door opened and two of my aunties walked in.
“Good morning Yaya.” They greeted together.
“Good morning. How was your night?” My mother asked smiling.
“Our night was fine.” Aunty Shatu said as they sit down.
“He is awake!”Aunty Hadiza said happily.
“He just woke up few minutes ago. The doctor just went before you came.” My mother said.
“Alhamdulillah!” They said together happily.
“It will take time before he become alright again.”
“Yaya, I think it is time for you to get out of that hell you call marriage. I am afraid Musa will kill you and nobody will say anything.” Aunty Shatu said angrily.
“The marriage has been hell for you right from the beginning. I never support your marriage to Musa because I know the person he is. It could have been you lying on this bed. How could someone even do this to his own son? This is inhuman.” Aunty Hadiza added.
“And the worst of it is that he is yet to even visit him in the hospital.” Aunty Shatu said.
“You won’t understand my sisters. How can I leave my children? Look at what he did to Audu. He might have killed him if I haven’t been around. What will happen to them if I am not around?” My mother said.
“The children will be fine when you go. They are his children after all.” Aunty Shatu said.
“You won’t understand Shatu. He won’t care if they are his children. Do you think any father will do this to the child he care for?”
“You will always get our support Yaya.” Aunty Hadiza said.
They changed the topic and started talking about other things. They were in the hospital till in the afternoon when my mother and aunty Shatu left for home, leaving me with aunty Hadiza.

2 Likes

Re: Veil by ADECULATE(f): 1:28pm On Aug 30, 2017
See dis idiotic monster of a man oooo, am glad audu killed him. Weldone Op, following u till d end dear
Re: Veil by ftosino(m): 1:55pm On Aug 30, 2017
this man need to be jailed,
she really need to live that hell of a marriage.
Re: Veil by duch12(m): 5:34pm On Aug 30, 2017
ADECULATE:
See dis idiotic monster of a man oooo, am glad audu killed him. Weldone Op, following u till d end dear

Thank you Adeculate
Re: Veil by duch12(m): 5:35pm On Aug 30, 2017
ftosino:
this man need to be jailed,
she really need to live that hell of a marriage.
most women pass through domestic abuse now and most are silent
Re: Veil by duch12(m): 5:40pm On Aug 30, 2017
piroux:
This is a great story OP, i just feel sooo sad right now. cry
The reality is that things like this happen all the time....

Domestic violence is experienced by many women in our society and the sad thing is that we are doing nothing about it. If only parent will take their time to train their male children to become better husbands just like they do to the female,then all this won't be happening

1 Like

Re: Veil by duch12(m): 5:41pm On Aug 30, 2017
kalu61:
@Dush12.I really picked interest in your story when l learnt the charater had passion for microbiology.As a graduate of MCB and writer l wait the completion of you story before criticizing the story,the style,the english etc.You are doing a great job.l'm waiting for the emotionally and murderous end.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Veil by duch12(m): 5:42pm On Aug 30, 2017
Smooth278:
Nice one... Waiting for the next update... Meanwhile this man deserves all that he gets..

No mercy for abusers

1 Like

Re: Veil by duch12(m): 5:43pm On Aug 30, 2017
Lotiababe:
So sorry for Laura... But when will this man get sense? Nice update

The saddest part is that is happens to a lot of women
Re: Veil by duch12(m): 10:57am On Aug 31, 2017
Episode 14

I was discharged from the hospital about two months later. My father didn’t visit while I was in the hospital nor did he pay the hospital bill. It was aunty Shatu’s husband that paid the bill. I started getting difficulties in walking and the doctor suggests I start physiotherapy.
I miss my senior secondary certificate examination due to the long time is spent in the hospital. My father was told to discard the idea of getting Zahra married and was also made to ask for my mother’s forgiveness by elders of our family. Zahra was brought back from Kano.
We were in the sitting watching an Indian movie when two boys from our street entered, looking confused. We all turned and looking at them.
“What is the problem Ali?” My mother asked one of the boys.
“It is Alhaji.” He answered
“What about Alhaji?” My mother asked.
“Alhaji was involved in a car accident and was rushed to the hospital.”
“Subhanallahi!” We all said.
“Which hospital was he taken to?” my mother asked standing up.
“Saukaka Hospital.”
“Please take me there.” My mother said tying her head tie properly. “Zahra go and get my veil from my room.” My mother said to Zahra who stood up immediately and ran to the room. She came back seconds later and handed my mother her veil.
“I will go with you Inna.” I said and stood up.
“You don’t have to come with me Audu. I will be fine.”
“You can’t go alone in case you get over emotional.”
“Yaya is right.” Zahra chipped in.
“Ok, let’s go. Please take care of yourselves.” My mother said to my siblings who were less bothered.
The two boys led to way and we followed them behind. We stopped a tricycle outside the house and entered.
We arrived at the hospital and the boys directed us to the ward my father is. My mother thanked them and paid the tricycle to take them back.
My mother opened the door and entered. I waited for some seconds and said a quick prayer before I entered. My father frown his face immediately he saw us.
“What are you two doing here?” My father asked and sat up.
“You were involved in an accident, we came to check on you and the first thing you will say to us is what we are doing here? You are my husband and the father of my children. Whatever happen to you also affect us.” My mother said with a crackly voice.
“And when did you start caring about me?” My father hurled.
“We should not do this here. This is a hospital.”
“You and you son should get out. I don’t want to see you here.”
“This is not fair Musa. You can’t send us away”
“Let’s go Inna.” I said holding my mother’s hand
“Don’t say another word or I will beat the hell out of you and I promise you won’t survive it this time.” My father shouted, pointing a finger at me.
I opened the door and stepped out. My mother stood inside the ward staring my father, her eyes filled with anger and pains. My father stood up from the bed and walked to my mother. He forcefully pushed her out of the ward. I quickly held her and stopped her from falling. My father stood boiling over. I pulled my mother but she refused to move. People started gathering around us.
“Let’s go Inna. People have started gathering around us.” I whispered into my mother’s ear.
“You are a bad omen to me Lauratu.” My father yelled and pushed my mother and she fell down. I quickly pulled her up.
“What have I done to deserve this humiliation from you? What is my sin? Why me?” My mother murmured. Two security men appeared from the crowd that has gathered around us.
“What is going on here?” one of the men asked.
“Get this woman out of here. She is an unwanted guest.” My father commanded. The man that spoke stretched his hand to hold my mother and I held his hand.
“Don’t touch her.” I said almost shouting. “We will go.” I put my hand around my mother’s shoulders and we walked out of the hospital.
My mother went straight to her room when we went back home. She didn’t even respond to my sibling’s greeting. Zahra stood up and started following my mother.
“Let her be.” I said to Zahra.
“What happened?” Zahra asked confused.
“Let’s go outside and talk.” I said and walked out of the sitting room.
Zahra followed me immediately. We sat down on the plastic chairs under the guava tree. I narrated everything that happened at the hospital to her.
“How could Baba do that to Inna?” Zahra asked shocked.
“I don’t know what Baba’s problem is.”
“He must be under some kind of spell or possessed by some kind of evil spirit!”
“Inna has suffered all kind of humiliation from Baba. He has no respect for her.”
“Not a bit of respect. I can’t tolerate this kind of treatment from any man.”
“My prayers everyday is for Baba to realize his mistakes and apologise to Inna so that our family will be functional and fill with love just like other families.”
“That is my prayers also. There is no laughter in this house and my only fear is our younger ones will grow up as dysfunctional when they become older.”
“They have seen what children their age are not supposed to see. They live their lives in fear.”
“It is only God that can save this out family.”
“I am telling you. Inna have tried her best already.”
The gate opened and my father walked in holding a small white polythene bag in his hand.
“Welcome.” Zahra said but he didn’t and answers her.
“Hmm! I know he won’t answer that is why I didn’t even bother to say anything. When was the last time he even answered any of our greetings?”
“Things are really getting worst every day.” We heard a sharp cry from inside the sitting room.
“That is Nana crying and I know father must be behind it. Let’s go inside before another drama unfold again.” I said. We stood up and entered the sitting room.
“What happened to Nana?” Zahra asked Inuwa in a low tune.
“She was sitting on the passage and Baba kicked her away.”
“I told you.” I said looking at Zahra.
“Let me go and check on Inna.” Zahra said and walked into my mother’s room.
They came out some minutes later. My mother’s eyes were swollen, she must have been crying for a long time. She sat on the couch adjacent the television and Zahra sat beside her.
“Everything will be fine. Don’t lose hope.” She smiled looking at me. I shook my head smiled too.
My father came out of his room and the sitting room became hushed. My father was about opening the door of the sitting room when Bala giggled. My father stopped and turned. He walked and stood behind the sofa.
“Who giggled?” He asked looking at us.
“I was the one.” Bala said panicky.
“Why did you giggle?”
“It was one of the actors that did something funny that is why I giggled.”
“Are you the only person in the sitting room? Why didn’t other giggled, or are you giggling at me?”
“No no no. I was not… I didn’t giggle at you.” Bala said afraid.
Two slaps landed on Bala’s cheek. My mother wanted to talk but Zahra stopped her immediately. My father spanked Bala more. He hissed then walked out of the sitting room.

1 Like

Re: Veil by duch12(m): 3:19pm On Sep 01, 2017
Episode 15

Happy eid-kabir people

My mother became sick. She started seeing blood in her urine, feeling pain in her back, fatigue, loss of appetite and she has drastically lost weight. Aunty Shatu came and took my mother to Kano for treatment after my father refused to take my mother to the hospital.
“We will conduct blood and urine test tomorrow to know what the problem is.” The doctor, who is aunty Shatu’s husband’s friend said.
“Thank you doctor Faruk. I am grateful for everything.”
“Don’t mention. She is sister also.”
“That is right. Let me be going.” Aunty Shatu said standing up.
“I will check on her later.” He said picking up a file from the floor. Aunty Shatu left the office and returned to the ward.
Blood and urine tests were conducted the next morning. I was sitting on the bench dozing and aunty Shatu was lying a novel when the door opened. I woke up and looked. Doctor Faruk and one other doctor entered. Aunty Shatu sat up and dropped the novel she was reading.
“Good evening doctor.” I and aunty Shatu said together.
“Good evening Shatu. How are you doing Audu?” Doctor Faruk asked smiling.
“I am doing fine doctor.” I replied.
“This is Doctor Shaw. He is a pathologist.” Doctor Faruk introduced Doctor Shaw.
“Good evening Doctor.” We greeted.
“Thank you.” Doctor Shaw said. Doctor Faruk continued.
“The result of the test are ready.” Doctor Faruk said looking at us worried. We looked at him nervously.
“Hope all is well because the look in your eyes is terrifying.” Aunty Shatu said fearfully.
“The result shows that… she has kidney cancer.”
“Cancer?” We asked panicky.
“Please don’t panic.” Doctor Shaw murmured.
“Why won’t I panic when my sister have cancer.”
“Don’t wake her up please. She will be dispirited when she wake up and hear the news.” Doctor Faruk said.
“She will eventually get to know about it sooner or later.” Aunty Shatu said almost crying.
“She will but not this ways. You have to be strong for her.” Doctor Shaw said to aunty Shatu who was already weeping.
“Doctor Shaw will conduct a biopsy which will enable make a definite diagnosis. He will then analyse the sample and write a pathology report.” Doctor Faruk said.
“Doctor please tell me my mother will be fine.” I said sobbing.
Doctor Faruk walked and sat beside me. He put his hand around my shoulders and smiled.
“Nothing is going to happen to your mother Audu. We will do our best. I need you to pull yourself together.” He said.
“Call doctor Faruk when she wakes up so that we will carry out the test.” Doctor Shaw said to aunty Shatu.
“I will do that.” Aunty Shatu said wiping tears from her eyes.
“We will be going now.” Doctor Faruk said standing up. He tapped me on the shoulder and walked out and Doctor Shaw followed him.
I turned and looked at aunty Shatu who was still weeping then at my mother who was sleeping peacefully. Tears slides down my cheeks. I used the back of my hand to wipe the tears immediately.

2 Likes

Re: Veil by AkachukwuD(m): 11:51pm On Sep 01, 2017
Ghost mode deactivated Nice one bro Ghost mode deactivated Nice one bro Ghost mode deactivated Nice one bro
Re: Veil by duch12(m): 7:40am On Sep 02, 2017
AkachukwuD:
Ghost mode deactivated Nice one bro Ghost mode deactivated Nice one bro Ghost mode deactivated Nice one bro
Thanks bro
Re: Veil by Lotiababe(f): 1:49pm On Sep 03, 2017
Cancer with all the pains she has been passing through ....thanks for the update
Re: Veil by duch12(m): 3:08pm On Sep 03, 2017
Episode 16

The biopsy result came out few days later. My mother was having renal cell carcinoma, the most common kidney cancer. Luckily for my mother, the cancer was at stage one. The tumor was still small and hasn’t spread to the lymph nodes or distance organs.
My father and aunty Shatu were sitting on the chairs in doctor Faruk’s office while I stood behind aunty Shatu as we wait for his arrival. The door opened about twenty minutes later and doctor Faruk walked in.
“I am sorry I kept you waiting.” He said as he sits on his chair facing us.
“That is not a problem.” Aunty Shatu said.
“You must be the patient’s husband.” Doctor Faruk said to my father and stretched his hands for a shake.
“Yes I am.” My father said as they shake hands.
“I called you about the surgery. I suggest the tumor should be remove since it is still small and haven’t spread. I will suggest a partial nephrectomy.’
“What is a partial nephrectomy?” I asked confused.
My father turned and looked at me in a disgusting way. I looked away immediately our eyes met.
“Partial nephrectomy is the surgical removal of a tumor. It preserves kidney function and lowers the risk of developing chronic kidney disease after surgery. Partial nephrectomy is effective for stage one tumor.” Doctor Faruk explained.
“Can you carry out the surgery in this hospital?” Aunty Shatu asked.
“We are not equipped to do the surgery now maybe in the future. But I know of a good hospital in India. They are good in partial nephrectomy and their surgeries are always successful.”
“India? Is there no hospital in Nigeria that can do the surgery?” my father asked.
“There are hospitals here but most of them are not standard due to lack of fund. The health care system in Nigeria is in need of serious help. If you want a good and successful surgery, India is the best option.” Doctor Faruk replied.
“What is the estimated cost of the surgery in India?” Aunty Shatu asked.
“I will estimate it between two to three million.”
“Three million for one surgery?” My asked alarmed.
“I am just giving you estimation. I have a friend and I can phone him if you want.”
“I was thinking you will say three hundred thousand for the surgery.” My father said frowning.
“Three hundred thousand naira for a surgery abroad!” Doctor Faruk said surprised.
“I don’t have such amount of money to pay for a surgery. I have better things to do with my money.”
“Seriously!” Aunty Shatu said furiously. “You don’t have such amount to spend on my sister’s surgery but you have money to spend on harlots. You are worst than the devil.” She yelled at my father.
“I will beat the hell out of you if you dare insult me.” My father yelled back pointing a finger at Aunty Shatu.
“Try it and see what will happen. You think I am like my sister that will stand and look at you beat her.” Aunty Shatu shouted.
“Let’s not do this now. This is a hospital.” Doctor Faruk said.
“I won’t forgive you if anything happens to my mother.” I said to my father in rage.
“Go on and insult me Audu.” My father hurled at me. “You know what, I am done here. Go and source the money for your sister’s surgery.” My father said standing up.
“You will rot in hell. You are a disgrace to our family and to your children. You are an animal in human skin.” Aunty Shatu shouted at the top of her voice.
“I agree I am an animal. I won’t pay for the surgery.” My father said and walked out of the office banging the door.
I walked and sat on the chair my father stood up from. There was silence in the office for about five minutes before aunty Shatu spoke.
“I am sorry for what just happened.” Aunty Shatu apologized.
“It is ok. I am used to seeing people with different behavior.” Doctor Faruk said.
“Please go on and make enquire about the surgery.”
“That won’t be a problem. I will phone my friend later.”
“Thank you. We will be going now.” Aunty Shatu said and stood up. I stood up also.
“I will come and check on her later.”
We left the office to the ward and met my mother watching television. We didn’t say anything to her about what happened in doctor Faruk’s office.

2 Likes

Re: Veil by duch12(m): 7:07am On Sep 05, 2017
Episode 17

My maternal grandparents, three of my mother’s siblings and my mother’s uncle came visiting three days after the incident. I went out and bought soft drinks for them after we greeted. I came back minutes later and dropped the soft drinks in front of Kaka Jidda and went to the corner and stood.
“How are the children?” My mother asked. Zahra and the others have been taken to Lere to stay with Kaka Jidda.
“They are doing fine Lauratu. They send their greetings and will even be coming to visit you very soon.’ Kaka Jidda who was sitting at the edge of the bed said. Her eyes were filled with tears.
“I will be fine Inna. Don’t get yourself worried.” My mother said smiling.
“What did the doctor say?” Uncle Ibrahim, my mother’s younger brother asked.
“He suggested a surgery in India. The tumor isn’t severe.” Aunty Shatu replied.
“What has happened to my daughter? Will she ever be fine?” Kaka Jidda asked in tears.
“Inna please don’t cry. The doctor said she will be fine.” Aunty Shatu said.
‘I pray so.” Kaka Jidda said.
“How much will the surgery cost?” Aunty Hadiza asked.
“Two and a half million.” I said.
“Two and a half million naira!” Uncle Ibrahim and Aunty Balaraba said together.
“That is quite a lot of money.” Kawu Dalha, my mother’s uncle said.
“Have you contacted Musa yet?” Baba Karami, my grandfather asked.
“Hmm! He was here and it was terrible. Imagine him say he have better things to do with his money than pay for the surgery. He even threatened to beat me.”
“That boy is very stupid.” Kawu Dalha said.
“He is worst than an animal. I never liked him for a day.” Uncle Ibrahim said angrily.
“I don’t know why Yaya is still married to him.” Aunty Shatu said.
“Baba and Inna are the ones that are afraid of what the society will say about their daughter. They always discard the idea whenever I bring up the topic.” Uncle Ibrahim said upset.
“Nothing is stopping Yaya from getting a divorce this time around. Let people say whatever they want to say.” Aunty Balaraba added.
“You people are just shallow in your thinking. Who will take care of her children if she gets divorce? What will happen to our family?” Baba Karami asked.
“Stop worrying about others and start worrying about your children’s happiness.” Uncle Ibrahim said.
“You people should stop this nonsense. His son is standing here while you talk ill of his father. What you are doing is not proper.” Kaka Jidda said angrily.
They all turned and started looking at me. I turned my eyes immediately and started looking at the wall. Tears dripped from my eyes. I quickly wiped it with my thump. Uncle Ibrahim walked to where I stood beside me.
“I am sorry we said ill things about your father in your presence.” Uncle Ibrahim said.
“I understand. I am also angry with him.” I said.
“I will talk to some of the elders in the family to call him and talk to him when I get to Lere.” Baba Karami said.
“Talk to him about what?” Aunty Shatu asked.
“About the money for the surgery.”
“There is no need for that Baba. We will raise the money within us. He didn’t pay Audu’s hospital bill when he almost killed him so I am not surprised. I have already talked to my husband. Yaya isn’t going back to that house.” Aunty Shatu said.
“I don’t want to ever hear you talk about Lauratu getting divorced.” Baba Karami cautioned.
“Wait until she die then you will say something.” Aunty Shatu said angrily and walked out of the ward.
“Shatu is just being childish.” Baba Karami said.
“She is too temperamental.” Kaka Jidda added.
“Let’s go out and get some fresh air.” Uncle Ibrahim said to me.
We went out of the hospital to a nearby eatery and ate. We sat down there after eating and talk for a little while before we returned to the hospital.
Doctor Faruk came into the ward in the evening to check on my mother as usually. He greeted everyone then processed to examining my mother.
“Thank you Doctor.” Baba Karami said to doctor Faruk.
“It is alright Baba. She is also like a sister to me.”
“That is true. Shatu told me you and her husband is friends.”
“More like brothers. We grew up together.”
“May God continue to bless you my son.”
“Amen Baba. I will be going now. I will come and check on her tomorrow morning before I go home.” Doctor Faruk said to aunty Shatu.
“Ok.” Aunty Shatu said and stood up. She accompanied him out of the ward and came back.
They left for one our relative’s house to pass the night. They left for Lere four days later. Zahra and my other siblings arrived Kano the next day. I went back to Lere with them the following day.

3 Likes

Re: Veil by MissRelly: 1:21pm On Sep 05, 2017
guy weldone,u are good
Re: Veil by duch12(m): 3:19pm On Sep 06, 2017
Episode 18

I was sitting in front of our old house in Lere receiving fresh air when one of my childhood friends came to pass riding a bicycle. He came down of bicycle immediately he saw me. I stood up quickly and started walking towards him.
“Audu when did you come?’ He asked smiling.
“Just yesterday. I was thinking of coming to your house this evening.” I replied as we shook hands.
“How is your mother’s health? I heard she is not feeling fine.” Aminu asked.
“She is improving. She will soon be going to India for surgery.”
“Surgery? Is the sickness that severe?”
“Yes. Where are you going?” I asked quickly changing the topic.
“I am going to the market.” He said.
“Let’s go. You can drop your bicycle with Mallam Isa.” I told him
“Ok.” He murmured.
He pushed the bicycle and dropped it in front of Mallam Isa’s shop and we walked to the market chatting and laughing. I saw my father’s car parked outside the house when we came back. I quickly entered the when I saw my father coming out of the house.
“What happened?” Aminu asked confused.
“My father, I don’t want him to see me.” I said peeping.
“Did you do something to him?” Mallam Isa asked.
“No. I am just ready for his trouble today.”
“You can come out now.” Aminu said. I came out of the shop and stood outside.
“Can we go to your house?”
“Sure.” Aminu said and carried his bicycle. We walked to their house.
I was lying on the floor in Kaka Jidda’s room when three of my father’s uncle entered the house. They exchanged pleasantries with Kaka Jidda then entered Baba Karami’s room which was opposite Kaka Jidda’s room. My father entered few minutes after. He greeted Kaka Jidda who was washing pounding pepper and entered the room. I sat up immediately and moved closer to the door.
“We call you here to ask you about a few things we heard.” Baba Mai Kanti, the oldest among the men spoke.
“We heard you have refused to pay for your wife’s surgery. Is that so?” Baba Ali asked. My father didn’t say a word. He sat on the floor head down like a statue.
“Answer us Musa.” Baba Mai Kanti shouted.
“What did he have to say?” Baba Karami asked.
“It is not like that. The money for the surgery is too much and I don’t have the money to pay for it.” My father said his head still down.
“Will you shut up? Just hear yourself. You are not even ashamed to say it. How much does your car cost? More than the amount for the surgery. I don’t know where you get your stupid behavior from.” Baba Alheri screamed at my father.
“He even has the gut to tell us he doesn’t have the money. Do we look like fools to you?” Baba Ali asked angrily.
“Musa is kooky and stupid. Your father would have disowned you if he is still alive.” Baba Mai Kanti said.
“How will you feel any of you sister is sick and their husband has refused to pay for their surgery?” Baba Alheri asked.
“You must pay for the surgery whether you like it or not. This is a command from us and if you don’t pay, then you no longer belong to this family. Now get out of my sight fool!” Baba Mai Kanti hurled.
My father stood up and walked out of the room. He wore his shoes angrily and left the house without saying a word to Kaka Jidda who was cooking in the kitchen.
Zahra came back from her friend’s house few minutes after the elders left. I told her everything that happened. She was happy my father was forced to pay for my mother’s surgery.
My father paid two million while aunty Shatu and uncle Ibrahim paid the remaining money. A date was fixed for my mother’s surgery after the money paid. My mother was flown to India in company of Aunty Shatu and Kaka Jidda who insist she must go with my mother. My mother spent two weeks in India after the surgery was done. She stayed in Lere for three months before she came back to Zaria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Veil by ftosino(m): 4:35pm On Sep 06, 2017
thanks for the consistent updates.. . #thumbsup
Re: Veil by itsandi(m): 4:57pm On Sep 06, 2017
Interesting story. Read other interesting stories on Tushstories via

www.tushstories.com

#Click!
Re: Veil by duch12(m): 3:19pm On Sep 07, 2017
Episode 19

My mother dropped my father’s food on the centre table and returned to the kitchen. She came out and entered her room. She took her bath, prayed before coming out again. She sat beside Zahra on the couch.
“Is your father not yet out from his room?” My mother asked Zahra.
“Yes.” Zahra replied.
“Bala please go and tell you father his food is ready.” My mother said to Bala.
“Ok.” Bala said and walked to my father’s room. He came back seconds later.
“What did he say?” My mother asked.
“He told me to take the food to his room.” Bala said picking up the tray from the centre table and took it to my father’s room. He came back and sat down.
My father came out of his room holding the flask in his left hand. He stood at the entrance and searched for my mother with his eyes.
“What is this?” He asked my mother angrily.
“Spaghetti and beans.” My mother replied.
“Why is the food cold? Did you cook it yesterday?”
“I just cooked it like thirty minutes ago, beside the food is in the flask it can’t get cold.”
“I don’t have time for any rubbish talk now just come and collect this flask from my hand and warm the food.” My father said angrily.
My mother shook her head and stood up. She went and collected the flask from my father’s hand and entered the kitchen. My father hissed then entered his room. He came out some minutes later and entered the kitchen. We started hearing sound of things crashing on the floor. I stood up and ran to the kitchen. My siblings followed me but I sent them away to their room.
I tried stopping my father but he pushed me away. I fell on the floor and hit my head on the mortar. That was when I saw the pestle. I quickly took it and stood up. I walked slowly towards my father who was still beating my father after she has passed out. I raised the pestle and hit my father on the head.
“Ahh!” My father let out a cry and held his head.
I raised he pestle and hits him again. He fell down. I raised the pestle high and held it in the air. I looked at my who was lying on the floor, my eyes were filled with rage. I wanted everything to stop that moment.
The pestle landed on my father’s neck and he let out a howl. I raised the pestle and continue hitting my father until he stopped moving and howling. I looked at myself, I was covered in blood. I threw the pestle away and stood still looking at my father’s body. His head was scattered.
“You have killed him.” I heard Zahra said from behind me. I turned and looked at her. She was looking terrified. My other siblings immediately rushed into the kitchen. Zahra shuffled to where my mother was lying and bent down. “Is she dead?” Zahra asked more terrified.
I shook my head from side to side. She stood up and rushed to the tap. She used a bowl to fetch water from the tap. She sprinkled the water on my mother. My mother jerked and woke up.
“Where is your father?” my mother asked. Zahra started crying immediately. “What is happening Zahra? Why are you crying?” my mother asked confused.
She held Zahra by the shoulder. I took two steps toward them and stopped midway. My mother let go of Zahra immediately she saw me covered in blood. She became terrified. She opened her mouth but no word came out.
“I killed him.” I said tears sliding down my cheeks.
My mother stood up slowly and walked to where father’s body was lying. She started breathing heavily then let out a loud cry. Zahra joined in and my other siblings that are now standing beside my mother joined in too. I stood there looking at them like a statue.
The cry attracted neighbors and passersby who rushed into our house to find out what happened. The news travelled fast and soon our house was filled up with people who had come to see for themselves what has happened. A woman in the crowd slapped me and others joined in. people began lynching on me. They almost killed me on the spot if not for the policemen that arrived and rescued me.
My mother picked up few things and took my siblings to one of her friend’s house. The house was sealed off after my father body was taken to the morgue.

3 Likes

Re: Veil by ftosino(m): 3:30pm On Sep 07, 2017
yepaaa!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

RENEGADE. *A Crime Story* / Adventures With Theresa 18+ / High School Love: A Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.