Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:57 AM

Fashion Icon 'Alexander Mcqueen' Found Dead - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Fashion Icon 'Alexander Mcqueen' Found Dead (1197 Views)

Grace Jones : Fashion Icon? / Who Is Nigerian's Number One Fashion Icon / Alexander Mcqueen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashion Icon 'Alexander Mcqueen' Found Dead by tboy1(m): 6:26pm On Feb 11, 2010
Fashion Icon McQueen 'Found Hanged'

One of Britain's top fashion designers Alexander McQueen has been found dead - reportedly hanged - at his flat in central London.

The 40-year-old is believed to have become depressed following the death of his mum Joyce, who died on February 2.

McQueen, who won British fashion designer of the year four times between 1996 and 2003, had posted a string of messages on Twitter which offered an insight into his state of mind.

The last message on his account was: "im here with my girl annie tinkerbell wishing kerry the slag, happy birthday in NY, your 40 now girl time to slow it down we think."

The message appears to have been written around mid afternoon on Tuesday this week.

A series of unusual tweets began when his mother passed away.

On February 3 he wrote: "i'm letting my followers know the my mother passed away yesterday if it she had not me nor would you RIP mumxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

This was completed seconds later with "but life must go on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Then four days later, over two tweets, he wrote: "sunday evening been a f*****g awful week but my friends have been great but now i have to some how pull myself together and finish with the HELLS ANGLES & PROLIFIC DEAMONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Scotland Yard said police were called to his property on Green Street, in London's West End at 10.20am after he was found dead.

His body was removed from the house and put into a private ambulance at 4.46pm.

Police said his death is not being treated as suspicious.

A spokeswoman for McQueen said: "Mr McQueen was found dead this morning at his home. We're devastated and I hope you understand that out of respect to his family and his colleagues we're not going to be making any further statement."

A message on his website alexandermcqueen.com said: "At this stage it is inappropriate to comment on this tragic news beyond saying that we are devastated and are sharing a sense of shock and grief with Lee's family."

McQueen, whose real name was Lee but used Alexander for his label, died just days before the start of London Fashion Week and weeks before he was due to unveil his new collection at Paris Fashion Week on March 9.

The tragic news has been met with a deluge of tributes from the fashion world.

British Vogue editor Alexandra Shulman said: "Lee McQueen influenced a whole generation of designers.

"His brilliant imagination knew no bounds as he conjured up collection after collection of extraordinary designs.

McQueen's fashion show in New York tonight will go ahead according to the New York Times Moment blog.

A tribute page has already been set up for him on Facebook.

Police outside Alexander McQueen's flat in Green Street, London

The block of flats where he lived

Born in the East End of London in March 1969, McQueen was the youngest of six children and left school at the age of 16.

The son of a taxi driver, he was already making dresses for his sisters at a young age but was given his first break at Savile Row tailors Anderson & Sheppard after joining as an apprentice.

During his time working at Savile Row, his clients included the former Russian leader Mikhail Gorbachev and the Prince of Wales.

His profile was elevated in the early 1990s when his own line of low "bumster" trousers were launched in London.

In 1994, he applied to London's prestigious Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design and did not take long to make waves in the industry.

After receiving a masters degree in fashion design, his entire collection was famously bought by influential stylist Isabella Blow.

Isabella Blow killed herself almost three years ago.

The 48-year-old collapsed at her Gloucestershire country home after telling friends she was going shopping.

[size=13pt]R . I . P [/size]

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Showbiz-News/Alexander-McQueen-Has-Been-Reportedly-Found-Hanged-After-Apparently-Committing-Suicide-In-His-Flat/Article/201002215546990?lpos=Showbiz_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15546990_Alexander_McQueen_Has_Been_Reportedly_Found_Hanged_After_Apparently_Committing_Suicide_In_His_Flat
Re: Fashion Icon 'Alexander Mcqueen' Found Dead by mohawkchic(f): 6:47pm On Feb 11, 2010
~Oh Dear! What a loss to the Fashion Industry & his fans. . .he must have been low in the dumps to contemplate & actually commit Suicide!

~What a way to go tho. . suicide by hanging!
Re: Fashion Icon 'Alexander Mcqueen' Found Dead by spikedcylinder: 8:32pm On Feb 11, 2010
I did a thread earlier, that darn spam BOT. angry angry angry

RIP Mcqueen.

Re: Fashion Icon 'Alexander Mcqueen' Found Dead by spikedcylinder: 8:34pm On Feb 11, 2010
Re: Fashion Icon 'Alexander Mcqueen' Found Dead by dominique(f): 8:37pm On Feb 11, 2010
OMG i just read on yahoo news. the guy was a genius, he will surely be missed in the fashion world. may he R.I.P sad
Re: Fashion Icon 'Alexander Mcqueen' Found Dead by oge4real(f): 10:57pm On Feb 11, 2010
RIP Lee, even though I dont know [/[sub][sub]who the hell you are.
Re: Fashion Icon 'Alexander Mcqueen' Found Dead by chika98: 11:36pm On Feb 11, 2010
Goes to show that money can never equate to happiness. May he RIP cry
Re: Fashion Icon 'Alexander Mcqueen' Found Dead by Nobody: 12:05am On Feb 12, 2010
And so young as well sad sad May he rest in peace and may God console his family in this time of grief.
Re: Fashion Icon 'Alexander Mcqueen' Found Dead by mamagee3(f): 12:28am On Feb 12, 2010
May his soul rest in Peace! cry
Re: Fashion Icon 'Alexander Mcqueen' Found Dead by TOPE20001(f): 12:53am On Feb 12, 2010
So SAD cry cry
Re: Fashion Icon 'Alexander Mcqueen' Found Dead by shilling(f): 5:07am On Feb 12, 2010
Just read this on Linda's blog, soooooooo sad, I can't bliv it. RIP cry cry sad sad
Re: Fashion Icon 'Alexander Mcqueen' Found Dead by oyinda3(f): 8:43am On Feb 12, 2010
i always had this idea that he was black.
the image of that black guy on tyra's next top model always come to mind.

may his soul RIP
Re: Fashion Icon 'Alexander Mcqueen' Found Dead by Nobody: 8:46am On Feb 12, 2010
Damn, sexy!! Dude is foine!
Re: Fashion Icon 'Alexander Mcqueen' Found Dead by spikedcylinder: 11:13am On Feb 12, 2010
FL Gators:

Damn, sexy!! Dude is foine!

He's gay. cheesy
Re: Fashion Icon 'Alexander Mcqueen' Found Dead by Nobody: 1:59pm On Feb 12, 2010
So he killed himself or what?
Re: Fashion Icon 'Alexander Mcqueen' Found Dead by Nobody: 3:21pm On Feb 12, 2010
i guess the loss of his mother was too much to bare. RIP
Re: Fashion Icon 'Alexander Mcqueen' Found Dead by Nobody: 6:12am On Feb 13, 2010
sad.

So he's the one who popularized/pioneered the skull logo which is very common these days, and also low rise jeans?

I was reading something to that effect in the news.
Re: Fashion Icon 'Alexander Mcqueen' Found Dead by Scooby1(m): 11:58am On Feb 13, 2010
May soul rest in peace
Re: Fashion Icon 'Alexander Mcqueen' Found Dead by GODSON2009(m): 7:31pm On Feb 13, 2010
@post
im sorry but i really dont feel that sorry for him
he is young and rich beyond the dreams of many people,for him to allegedly commit suicide on account of his mother's death if that is true smacks of a self centred naturethere are more than enough alternatives to channel your grief one of which is to help out with the relief efforts in Haiti e.t.c
Re: Fashion Icon 'Alexander Mcqueen' Found Dead by mamagee3(f): 9:03pm On Feb 13, 2010
spikedcylinder:

RIP Mcqueen.[/color]

RIP McQueen but why did you kill yourself! cry
Re: Fashion Icon 'Alexander Mcqueen' Found Dead by Nobody: 4:45pm On Feb 15, 2010
GODSON2009:

@post
im sorry but i really dont feel that sorry for him
he isĀ  young and rich beyond the dreams of many people,for him to allegedly commit suicide on account of his mother's death if that is true smacks of a self centred naturethere are more than enough alternatives to channel your grief one of which is to help out with the relief efforts in Haiti e.t.c

people grieve differently. some find the strength to rise above their loss while others cant take it and do silly stuff to ease their misery. if you are strong then fine but dont expect everybody to be as strong as you.

until you have been there and lost a parent/sibling, you cant sit there and judge this man.
think about how low a person falls that they loose their will to live?

its funny how people think that being rich and young will solve all your problems. just because he lived the kind of life that many would dream of doesnt mean that he doesnt feel pain or hurt like you and i.
he is a human being!!!!

the last thing a grieving person would want to do is putting their mind in DEATH/SORROW like Haiti!!!!!
Re: Fashion Icon 'Alexander Mcqueen' Found Dead by ruskiee(m): 3:54pm On Feb 16, 2010
R.I.P to him.
Re: Fashion Icon 'Alexander Mcqueen' Found Dead by africhika(f): 1:21am On Feb 17, 2010
oh my gosh!
wow- RIP
Re: Fashion Icon 'Alexander Mcqueen' Found Dead by queenesthr(f): 5:31pm On Feb 17, 2010
Its a pity.

That is why in most cultures, including mine, a grieving person is never left to be by himself/herself until some weeks after the burial. Friends and relatives will keep trooping in to keep him/her company for 24 hours.

You never can tell how grief can affect a person's behaviour. May he RIP.
Re: Fashion Icon 'Alexander Mcqueen' Found Dead by GODSON2009(m): 5:57pm On Feb 17, 2010
MRbrownJAY:

people grieve differently. some find the strength to rise above their loss while others cant take it and do silly stuff to ease their misery. if you are strong then fine but dont expect everybody to be as strong as you.

until you have been there and lost a parent/sibling, you cant sit there and judge this man.
think about how low a person falls that they loose their will to live?

its funny how people think that being rich and young will solve all your problems. just because he lived the kind of life that many would dream of doesnt mean that he doesnt feel pain or hurt like you and i.
he is a human being!!!!

the last thing a grieving person would want to do is putting their mind in DEATH/SORROW like Haiti!!!!!
i have lost a mother and a brother actually so i know the meaning of grieve and trust me i was as grieved as he was but it is the ultimate act of selfishm=ness and self centredness to go off and commit suicide because it is not all about yourself but everyone dependant upon you either financially morally,even family who love him and will be devastatedby his death did he think of all these ones but his own loss?
Re: Fashion Icon 'Alexander Mcqueen' Found Dead by Nobody: 6:47pm On Feb 17, 2010
GODSON2009:

i have lost a mother and a brother actually so i know the meaning of grieve and trust me i was as grieved as he was but it is the ultimate act of selfishm=ness and self centredness to go off and commit suicide because it is not all about yourself but everyone dependant upon you either financially morally,even family who love him and will be devastatedby his death did he think of all these ones but his own loss?

we have all lost loved ones and people deal with the loss differently. as much as we are strong about it, some people prefer to take the easy way out. is it selfish? yes but if they didnt have the right foundation to make them rise from this misery then who can blame them?

everybody deals the best they can about loss with the tools they have at that moment and some just cant deal/function with such loss of a close one.
Re: Fashion Icon 'Alexander Mcqueen' Found Dead by riversman: 7:06am On Feb 22, 2010
Alexander McQueen's mens boots were too perfect, fashion kittens will miss him,

heavy inspiration for a lot of muiscians today, lady gaga, beyonce, pharell, kanye west, etc

(1) (Reply)

Rate This Pix Out Of A 10 / Iyanya And Emma Nyra Dazzle On House Of Maliq Magazine Cover / Fashion: Most Bizarre Shoes!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.