Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,662 members, 7,801,914 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:41 AM

Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? (2041 Views)

The Lies Christian Fundamentalism Taught Me / See What Christain Fundamentalism Does To People! / The Dangers Of Religious Fundamentalism To Intellectualism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by PastorAIO: 8:03pm On Feb 11, 2010
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by PastorAIO: 8:09pm On Feb 11, 2010
Maybe Nigeria would just be better of without a police force, or army.
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by Arte: 9:10pm On Feb 11, 2010
This is heart wrenching  cry  I pray the law that states "you reap what you sow" will be infinitely true in the lives of these murderers. Imagine the relatives left behind, I guess one can gain some small insight as to why a muslim youth would turn to violence.
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by viaro: 9:54pm On Feb 11, 2010
'Shock' is an inadequate word to express my initial reaction. Then 'anger'. Then. . ??

One question that immediately crossed my mind: who was holding the camera and filming those callous murders? If it was the authorities, what could they possibly have in mind - especially when they knew it could someday be viewed around the world?
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by g1(m): 10:26pm On Feb 11, 2010
and these are the people suppose to be protecting us? some of those killed look so young 14/15 embarassed
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Feb 11, 2010
its what islamic fundamentalists understand. I say continue shooting them.
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by g1(m): 10:35pm On Feb 11, 2010
davidylan:

i think you r missing the point here david, its about the nigerian security forces, its not only in maiduguri they carry out this kind of acts, they do it every where even in niger delta too,
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by PastorAIO: 11:03pm On Feb 11, 2010
davidylan:

shocked cry cry cry
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by Arte: 11:22pm On Feb 11, 2010
davidylan:

As much as I am in favor (and believe me I am) of employing the harshest possible means in dealing with fundamentalists who have no desire to live at peace with their neighbors, this is wrong, and should appeal vehemently to the humanity in us all.

In a society professing to be civil, the police force, sworn and entrusted with serving and protecting the people, cannot leisurely make rounds about neighborhoods, pick at randomn anyone they deem suspicious, and then proceed to ruthlessly execute them in full view of the public. This is wrong from every conceivable angle and I daresay christians (of which I am one) should be the most vocal in their opposition of this.
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:22pm On Feb 11, 2010
Pastor AIO:

shocked cry cry cry

hehehehehehe dude I just got a first hand account of the jos crisis from a friend, it aint easy when things get that way its not fair to watch it on facebook and judge. Not fair at all.
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:28pm On Feb 11, 2010
Arté:

As much as I am in favor (and believe me I am) of employing the harshest possible means in dealing with fundamentalists who have no desire to live at peace with their neighbors, this is wrong, and should appeal vehemently to the humanity in us all.

In a society professing to be civil, the police force, sworn and entrusted with serving and protecting the people, cannot leisurely make rounds about neighborhoods, pick at randomn anyone they deem suspicious, and then proceed to ruthlessly execute them in full view of the public. This is wrong from every conceivable angle and I daresay christians (of which I am one) should be the most vocal in their opposition of this.
In times of war right and wrong are so close that its almost impossible to differentiate them. A girl runs out of a church to answer an important call from her boss and some of these goons are passing by, just before she knows it her other ear is off and they begin chasing everyone into the church with their machetes, it took the pastor of the church bringing out a gun from his pulpit to make the goons run away, but if she were your sister and you had a gun in your hand at that moment would you think of right and wrong? I doubt that. BTW that was a real life story one of the few skirmishes that sparked the fight.
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by Krayola(m): 11:30pm On Feb 11, 2010
shocked shocked shocked shocked cry cry cry cry
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by ogajim(m): 11:36pm On Feb 11, 2010
What else can one expect from an untrained, uncultured barbaric force? In real societies, this will spark an investigation and these criminals in uniform will be brought to book but Nigeria, come on now!
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by g1(m): 11:38pm On Feb 11, 2010
Chrisbenogor:

In times of war right and wrong are so close that its almost impossible to differentiate them. A girl runs out of a church to answer an important call from her boss and some of these goons are passing by, just before she knows it her other ear is off and they begin chasing everyone into the church with their machetes, it took the pastor of the church bringing out a gun from his pulpit to make the goons run away, but if she were your sister and you had a gun in your hand at that moment would you think of right and wrong? I doubt that. BTW that was a real life story one of the few skirmishes that sparked the fight.

i feel you chris, but both sides are guilty, i have a fellow atheist friend here in abuja who is an ex-christian and he happened to be driving through jos during the crises and he was stopped at a road block setup by christians and asked to recite john 3:16, he was lucky to have still been able to remember it, as they were letting him go he noticed that they stopped another car behind him after which they started smashing the car and pouring kerosene on the car about to set it ablaze, its obvious then that the occupants of that other car could not recite john 3:16 so they were not spared, so we cant just blame one group of people , like i said both sides are guilty,

in between, i sent you a yahoo instant message! r u signed in?
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by huxley(m): 12:17am On Feb 12, 2010
davidylan:

The only thing you got wrong was that you did not conclude your comment with "In the name of Jeeeeesssussss, Amen"
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by jagunlabi(m): 7:02am On Feb 12, 2010
What is the fundermental difference between christian and islamic inhumanity madness insanity fundermentalism?

Religion will definitely kill itself off.It is already in the process of committing hara kiri, anyway.
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by PastorAIO: 10:06am On Feb 12, 2010
davidylan:

huxley:

The only thing you got wrong was that you did not conclude your comment with "In the name of Jeeeeesssussss, Amen"

You know, I've never really followed Davidylan's posts before. I've only read from him on the rare occasion that we are interested in the same thread/topic. Yet I've heard many reports of them, mostly coming from the moslems that say that he bombards their section with hate-filled posts. Hence the creation of Abuzola etc. Knowing all that about him still did not prepare me for the comment he made above. It is sad. Just too sad.

If people have broken the law by bombing police stations and killing police men then there is a proper procedure for bringing them to justice in a civilized society. I simply cannot see how you can justify what is in that video, not just as a christian, but as a civilized human being. You are not an animal sir, or at least I hope not. Can you not see that that is just so wrong?
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by viaro: 10:55am On Feb 12, 2010
Chrisbenogor:

In times of war right and wrong are so close that its almost impossible to differentiate them.
That's true - and quite a perspective on this whole saga.
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by PastorAIO: 11:24am On Feb 12, 2010
viaro:

That's true - and quite a perspective on this whole saga.

So Chrisbenogor, would you say that we are at war?

I imagined that I was looking at local police dealing with their local citizens.
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by MyJoe: 1:19pm On Feb 12, 2010
First off, I am cautious about pictures of this nature because it is not all of them that are genuine. I realised that after I saw pictures I did not need expert knowledge to know were orchestrated. They were quite good and even my friend who worked for an undercover security agency did not think they were doctored, but when I pointed out three things to him in them, he concurred immediately.

However, these things do happen frequently in Nigeria and I have a personal experience of it. I still dream of Shola sometimes since that night in January 4 2002.

ogajim:

What else can one expect from an untrained, uncultured barbaric force? In real societies, this will spark an investigation and these criminals in uniform will be brought to book but Nigeria, come on now!
This is the problem we have. There will be no investigation of this and soon everyone will forget it. But let me add that "uncultured barbarism" is not the exclusive property of our security agencies. Barbarism in our police force can only be a reflection, perhaps, a multiplication or amplification, of that in the general societies. Some of those decrying these pictures here may have participated in or watched with smiles on their faces as mobs set alight some hapless soul suspected of stealing used shoes in Yaba or Ketu. When Yusuf, the Boko Haram leader, was extrajudicially killed some people cheered on this forum. It appears that we, the Nigerian society, are losing our sense of humanity. Once we allow the police to get away with killing suspected robbers, no matter how notorious the individual, that institutionalises a system that elevates jungle justice to state machinery. And there is no knowing that it can't get round to us.

So I can reword the poem of Pastor Martin Niemöller, the anti-Nazi activist, thus:
First they killed Boko Haram leaders, Davidylan cheered.
Then they killed suspected rioters in Maiduguri, Davidylan cheered.
Then they killed Davidylan, . . .
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by Arte: 1:55pm On Feb 12, 2010
Chrisbenogor:

I agree with that, but did you watch the video?

There is very very bold fine line between killing in self-defense as is with the story you told, and cold murder of random people as is the case in the video. If it happened as the video shows, there is no excuse, no justifiable reason whatsoever for those kinds of actions.

MyJoe:
But let me add that "uncultured barbarism" is not the exclusive property of our security agencies. Barbarism in our police force can only be a reflection, perhaps, a multiplication or amplification, of that in the general societies.
So true.

So I can reword the poem of Pastor Martin Niemöller, the anti-Nazi activist, thus:
Could not have captured it better.
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by PastorAIO: 1:59pm On Feb 12, 2010
MyJoe:

. . . And there was nobody left to cheer.
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by mazaje(m): 2:57pm On Feb 12, 2010
MyJoe:

However, these things do happen frequently in Nigeria and I have a personal experience of it. I still dream of Shola sometimes since that night in January 4 2002.
This is the problem we have. There will be no investigation of this and soon everyone will forget it. But let me add that "uncultured barbarism" is not the exclusive property of our security agencies. Barbarism in our police force can only be a reflection, perhaps, a multiplication or amplification, of that in the general societies. Some of those decrying these pictures here may have participated in or watched with smiles on their faces as mobs set alight some hapless soul suspected of stealing used shoes in Yaba or Ketu. When Yusuf, the Boko Haram leader, was extrajudicially killed some people cheered on this forum. [b]It appears that we, the Nigerian society, are losing our sense of humanity. [/b]Once we allow the police to get away with killing suspected robbers, no matter how notorious the individual, that institutionalises a system that elevates jungle justice to state machinery. And there is no knowing that it can't get round to us.

I could not have said it better. . . . .Nice one. . . .
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by DeepSight(m): 3:13pm On Feb 12, 2010
davidylan:

Another confirmation of what i have said repeatedly:

There is nothing even remotely christian about Davidylan.

And i'm afraid this is the very embodiment of the worst form of hypocrisy in religion. What sort of "christ-like" person would make this sort of statement ? ? ? ?
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by mazaje(m): 3:22pm On Feb 12, 2010
Deepsight. . . .Where have you been? Missed you. . . .Hope you are good out there?. . . . .
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by Chrisbenogor(m): 4:05pm On Feb 12, 2010
@Arte et al
I know it sounds somehow but I hate to say those people were not really local police or even soldiers at that, why you ask?

Just before I came on here last night I was with friends when the girl that told us that story walked in, I wish I can convince her to tell her story but before then let me give you a brief part of what she told me.
She is a student at the university of jos and was taking her bath that faithful morning when the muslims struck only they came in the form of soldiers and barricaded the two exit points from the hilly little hamlet they were staying. When she heard the noise and comotion outside she ran out and saw that a they were soldiers on both sides of the barricade and all the students started running towards it, after about 15 secs they noticed the people in front were falling one after the other like flies. . . . . the "soldiers" were the hausa men and they were hell bent on finishing them. A guy that was running back pulled her hand and they started running back towards the top of the hill, then the soldiers started closing down on them and coming up the hill, the boy that pulled her back got a bullet in the neck as he turned to shout on his friend to duck and that one already had takena bullet in the head. The one that took a bullet on the neck gave her his blood stained WAEC certificate and motioned for her to run for her dear life. . . . .when the christians heard what was going on they stormed a nearby muslim settlement and started killing muslims too that was what made the "soldiers" make a U turn to go protect that village.

My point here is that, killing defenseless people is wrong when things are all right, but it takes more that human control to look in the eye of someone who just murdered your sister or rendered her blind and say wait we will hand him to the police. My point is the circumstances have to be put in perspective then we can judge.
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by Arte: 4:29pm On Feb 12, 2010
Chris,

I (and I think others) are not disagreeing with you that the rules of "civil" engagement go out the window when the bullets are zipping inches past your face and you see your loved one lying on the floor in blood. Its human and natural to seek vengeance.

If events unfolded as shown in the video, police (if they really were) went round gathering people from their homes and then proceeded to execute them on the street - this not done in self-defense or retaliation for the death of a loved one - where is the sense or justification for this? were those men and teenagers the ones who killed people in the riots?
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by ogajim(m): 4:40pm On Feb 12, 2010
MyJoe, I couldn't have said it any better than you did, God bless you bro.

All these happened when the country had no "leader", as Dele Giwa once wrote "one innocent life taken in cold blood equals a million lives lost in a pogrom, " and i remember the title of that column "death of a namesake" written when Mopol shot and killed Dele Udoh (US based)who came to represent Nigeria in a tournament in 1981, (the kids don't remember this)

When will Nigeria get her act together?
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by DeepSight(m): 4:44pm On Feb 12, 2010
mazaje:

Deepsight. . . .Where have you been? Missed you. . . .Hope you are good out there?. . . . .

Big bros! I dey chase moni, wetin i go do?

But on a serious note, how dare you address the holy prophet of the Oneness of Infinity without bowing down? ? ?
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by muhsin(m): 4:50pm On Feb 12, 2010
davidylan:

Very disappointing and sickening . . . embarassed

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by PastorAIO: 5:44pm On Feb 12, 2010
muhsin:

Very disappointing and sickening . . . embarassed

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked cry cry cry cry cry

Sickening abi Sickening?
Re: Is This How We Plan To Root Out Religious Fundamentalism? Which Is Worse? by Chrisbenogor(m): 6:25pm On Feb 12, 2010
Arté:

Chris,

I (and I think others) are not disagreeing with you that the rules of "civil" engagement go out the window when the bullets are zipping inches past your face and you see your loved one lying on the floor in blood. Its human and natural to seek vengeance.

If events unfolded as shown in the video, police (if they really were) went round gathering people from their homes and then proceeded to execute them on the street - this not done in self-defense or retaliation for the death of a loved one - where is the sense or justification for this? were those men and teenagers the ones who killed people in the riots?
I totally agree with your sentiments, chances are that they are not real police men, even if they are, it is very possible that they would be maybe christian police men who were doing jungle justice, either way they are wrong, I am just pointing out that we might not really know the circumstances behind the shooting.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tb Joshua Prophesies Chile Earthquake / Spirit-to-spirit Communication – Pastor Chris / Some remarkable differences between The Pope And Jesus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.