Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:24 AM

The Burden Of The Traveller - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Burden Of The Traveller (2067 Views)

Rev Fr Kukah And The Burden Of Spiritual Leadership / Atheism - Revisiting The Burden Of Proof / The Burden Of The Traveller (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Burden Of The Traveller by belloti(m): 3:40pm On Feb 09, 2007
There was once a man who was going to travel to a dangerous land. He goes to the house of a man, well known for his
honesty. He knocks the door and tells him: I'm giving you $1440 to keep with you as I am travelling to a dangerous place. When I get back, I only want $17 back." The honest man stood their perplexed but agreed.

The next day, the traveller comes back to the honest man's house and asks him for $17. The honest man tells him that he forgot and that he had spent it all. The traveller forgave him since he knew that this man is honest enough to give it back later.

The next day, the same man travels to the same dangerous place and gives the same honest man $1440 to keep and at the end of
the day, he will take $17 back. The traveller returns from his travels and asks the honest man for his $17. The honest man replies that he
was so engrossed in having a good time with his friends, that he spent all the money again. Once again, the traveller forgave him, knowing he didn't do it on purpose.

This same incident starts to happen everyday, whereby the honest man is given $1440 and is expected to return only $17 but fails to do so.

Later on, his child becomes sick and the doctor who was going to give the treatment tells the honest man that if he wishes for his child to be looked after, the fee was $1440. The honest man starts to panic realising he can't afford $1440. It then struck him that the traveller used to give him that same amount.

He runs to the traveller's house and asks him in a panic for $1440. The traveller told him that due to his feeble excuses, he has stopped going to his house as he has lost faith in his honesty.

The irony is, is that this story has once been directly relevant to each and every single one of us(Muslims). It is quite remarkable that Allah (swt) gives us 1440 minutes each day and only specifies 17 minutes of that back in prayer. But due to the ignorance of people and the whisperings of Shaitaan the accursed, we are blinded towards the minute scale of what we are giving back.

This story points out three things.
1. The importance of Salah and how little we have to give back.
2. The mercy of Allah that he forgives us even after such blunders.
3. The fact that we only realise how important something is (in this case gift of wealth) until it is gone.
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by barikade: 7:44pm On Feb 09, 2007
@belloti,

belloti:

The irony is, is that this story has once been directly relevant to each and every single one of us(Muslims). It is quite remarkable that Allah (swt) gives us 1440 minutes each day and only specifies 17 minutes of that back in prayer. But due to the ignorance of people and the whisperings of Shaitaan the accursed, we are blinded towards the minute scale of what we are giving back.

Interesting story. However, could you provide reference for how you came about only 17 minutes alloted Muslims to pray each day? Thanks.
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by cuteass1(f): 8:44pm On Feb 09, 2007
In other words the joke/story is not meant for we christians, since you specifically mentioned muslims. Do i sense racism angry
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by Nobody: 8:52pm On Feb 09, 2007
yet again welcome to tales by moonlight! grin
This tale is full of contradictions! What is "honest" about a man that fails to render his due more than 3 times?
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by mrpataki(m): 2:42pm On Feb 10, 2007
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
[size=4pt]Rubbing hands together[/size]
Belloti and his bed time stories, always full of contradictions. I will start with this:

This same incident starts to happen everyday, whereby the honest man is given $1440 and is expected to return only $17 but fails to do so.

Later on, his child becomes sick and the doctor who was going to give the treatment tells the honest man that if he wishes for his child to be looked after, the fee was $1440.

He runs to the traveller's house and asks him in a panic for $1440. The traveller told him that due to his feeble excuses, he has stopped going to his house as he has lost faith in his honesty.

2. The mercy of Allah that he forgives us even after such blunders.

This is deception we see here again. Where in the bedtime story of yours did Allah forgive the man for the squander of investment given to him, even when he had a dying son in his courtyard?
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by goodguy(m): 3:46pm On Feb 10, 2007
Haba People! This is just a story that is meant to analogize the present relationship bewteen man and God. This is not some kind of Nollywood script that should undergo some "professional" scrutiny. Please take it easy on this guy. I'm pretty sure if it was a Christian that posted something similar, we would all be praising and thanking him for sharing an inspirational story.

Forget the contradictions. Pay more attention to the message that is being passed across!

@Belloti -- thanks for sharing. smiley
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by shahan(f): 3:48pm On Feb 10, 2007
@topic,

Lol, I think belloti was trying to illustrate something salient about 'forgiveness', and we should not hold his nose too close to the grind about it. Afterall, he was not stating a doctrine of Islam, but rather simply narrating a story.

Sometimes, stories may not sufficiently illustrate a truth; but we all understand the morale that our friend was trying to pass across. Besides his stated 3 morales in his story, perhaps we might add that, 'the best among us in our most honest intentions still have weaknesses in our human transactions'. When this is the oft-repeated case, then we lose our integrity and respect before those who once trusted and held us in high esteem.

Problem is that the story stops short of a good finish as to illustrate how 'Allah' forgives the most dishonest among men; although it seems belloti was focusing more on Muslim readers than a wider audience.
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by JosBoy4Lif(m): 3:52pm On Feb 10, 2007
If you people do not understand the morale behind this story na wa for you!
It is not something that requires much insight, please read it from a know partizan view and it will definately make more sense.
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by goodguy(m): 3:58pm On Feb 10, 2007
Thank you Shahan.

As the the story itself, even though it applies to every human, I believe belloti intentionally included Muslims into brackets, just to avoid what we've already seen in the last few posts on this thread.  Unfortunately, it seems he got more than he had bargained for.
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by barikade: 4:53pm On Feb 10, 2007
All the same, like I said: the story was 'interesting.' However, I would like belloti to provide us with some reference as to his inference that -

belloti:

. . . Allah (swt) gives us 1440 minutes each day and only specifies 17 minutes of that back in prayer.
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by mrpataki(m): 7:35pm On Feb 10, 2007
My question is posed at belloti here, not some overzealous fellow who does not know any better tongue
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by Nobody: 8:07pm On Feb 10, 2007
there is no point attempting to whitewash this sepulchreic story. grin

It is a tale with no meaning, full of contradictions and one that could as well have been told by an ifa priest!
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by JosBoy4Lif(m): 8:09pm On Feb 10, 2007
Why are you repeating yourself David, did you not already make this point?
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by Nobody: 8:10pm On Feb 10, 2007
Jos,
Do you have a vested interest in this moonlight tale? grin
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by JosBoy4Lif(m): 8:13pm On Feb 10, 2007
Hardly, but don't be quick to judge angry
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by Nobody: 8:15pm On Feb 10, 2007
depends on what you define as judging. There is a wide gulf between judging and criticism.
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by JosBoy4Lif(m): 8:16pm On Feb 10, 2007
In order for you to give criticism you must come to a judging conclusion abi?
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by Nobody: 8:20pm On Feb 10, 2007
depends. Besides we cant all view things from a too serious angle. some form of humor is necessary to keep things lively.

Infact i must thank Belloti for using his tales to lighten the mood on the religious section of this forum.
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by JosBoy4Lif(m): 8:23pm On Feb 10, 2007
I lack to see the humour in someone else's religion David, would you care to elaborate what is so funny?
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by Nobody: 8:25pm On Feb 10, 2007
oh Jos, are you muslim too?
The humor is in the various convoluted ways muslims here attempt to explain away the discrepancies in islam only to end up tying themselves.
I find it humorous, perhaps you dont.
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by JosBoy4Lif(m): 8:30pm On Feb 10, 2007
David I have told you on numerous occasions that I was born a Christian and will die one.
Let me as you something David. If you were not Yoruba and Igbo, as you have claimed and Hausa, which religion would you be?
9/10 Muslim. Religion in a large extent is geographical, let us not judge those who are of another religion. There is no religion that does not preach peace. But interpretations are what blunder the meanings of scriptures.
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by Nobody: 8:33pm On Feb 10, 2007
Islam is geographical, christianity (as a relationship with Christ) is not!
I agree with you that every religion at least attempts/pretends to preach peace even including those who advocate the use of violence to enforce "peace".
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by mukina2: 8:34pm On Feb 10, 2007
@Belloti
good story .actually most people do not pray 5 times a day .some just do Fajr alone or at times just zuhr and asr .depending on where it meets them .the only time most young people complete their 5 daily parayers is during ramadan . .
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by JosBoy4Lif(m): 8:34pm On Feb 10, 2007
So if you were born a muslim, you would have found Jesus Christ. Na lie you dey tell ooooo
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by JosBoy4Lif(m): 8:36pm On Feb 10, 2007
Christianity used to advocate violence for "peace", Don't worry Islam is a young religion it will also get over its stage of terroism/crusades
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by Nobody: 8:36pm On Feb 10, 2007
"finding" Christ is not by works, it is by grace. If i were born a muslim and God in His infinite mercy helped me see the light then i definitely would.
I'm sure the men who knew brother Zacheus would NEVER have believed in a million years that he would meet Jesus. Nothing is too hard for the Lord.
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by JosBoy4Lif(m): 8:41pm On Feb 10, 2007
So to you Christianity is the only right religion and God has chosen Me and David and all the other Christians. And in his infinate power has left behind more than 2/3's of the rest of the world. Why hasn't he shown them the grace, for it exists only in Chrstianity right?
And there have been Chrsitians who once claimed they have recieved the grace, convert to Islam, what do you say about them?
Please David you very well know that chances are that if you are brought up in a certain theology you will remain in that belief. And it is a BELIEF my friend!
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by Nobody: 8:42pm On Feb 10, 2007
JosBoy4Lif:

Christianity used to advocate violence for "peace", Don't worry Islam is a young religion it will also get over its stage of terroism/crusades

Here is where i unappologetically draw the line between christians by faith and christians by religion. The subtle attempt to make christianity and islam similar religions is enough evidence that many who call themselves "christians" have no idea what their heritage in Christ is. I am not 100% perfect but at least i know that christianity is NOT a religion, it is a one on one relationship with you and Christ as your friend, saviour, Father and Lord!

It is wrong to judge "christianity" by those who claimed to be practicing it, the true test of what christianity is all about is in those sacred pages of the bible that many christians lazily never open before they start making baseless accusations. Where in the new testament, the dispensation of grace wherein we find ourselves is violence used to advocate for peace? The same Lord who IS the Prince of Peace?

How young is islam? Is terrorism merely a factor of the "age" of a religion? What of Buddhism? How old is it and why have we not had buddhist terrorists blowing up the whole world and making themselves a general nuisance?
Have you read the pages of the quran? If you bothered, you'd soon realise that violence is not merely a factor of "age" but a fundamental principle of spreading islam!
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by Nobody: 8:45pm On Feb 10, 2007
JosBoy4Lif:

So to you Christianity is the only right religion and God has chosen Me and David and all the other Christians. And in his infinate power has left behind more than 2/3's of the rest of the world. Why hasn't he shown them the grace, for it exists only in Chrstianity right?

You dear sir, need to do a comprehensive study of your scriptures before you start asking questions. I will ask you a simple question, why did God choose Jacob and reject Esau even though both had not even been born?

JosBoy4Lif:

And there have been Chrsitians who once claimed they have recieved the grace, convert to Islam, what do you say about them?

. . . . and even the devil hath turned himself into an angel of light!

JosBoy4Lif:

Please David you very well know that chances are that if you are brought up in a certain theology you will remain in that belief. And it is a BELIEF my friend!

If christianity is merely a "belief" to you then i'm afraid.
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by JosBoy4Lif(m): 8:51pm On Feb 10, 2007
Maybe you should read the last book Revelations, which was the basis of so many crusades!
Islam does not teach of violence as a fundemental principle! That is not factual at all. Im happy that you have recieved the faith of Christ. But believe me if you were born a Muslim, you would still be a MUSLIM! and you would be here arguing the same baseless arguments only for the other side. Faith is what is important to me. not the Religion which chritianity is. Yes many Christians do not quite understand the meaning of there religion, same can be said about Islam.
God your egotistical manorisms are out of this world David. Look at me I have chosen the right religion, Christ is my saviour. well done, but what makes your Faith different from that of a Muslims, and dear not tell me fear  grin, I have heard that response one too many times.
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by Nobody: 9:02pm On Feb 10, 2007
JosBoy4Lif:

Maybe you should read the last book Revelations, which was the basis of so many crusades!

I have read them too. please you might want to point out to me where it is advocated that i should kill my enemy!

JosBoy4Lif:

Islam does not teach of violence as a fundemental principle! That is not factual at all.

It is good to be politically correct.

JosBoy4Lif:

I'm happy that you have recieved the faith of Christ.

I pray that someday you will too.

JosBoy4Lif:

But believe me if you were born a Muslim, you would still be a MUSLIM!

And you think you are being factual here?

JosBoy4Lif:

Faith is what is important to me. not the Religion which chritianity is. Yes many Christians do not quite understand the meaning of there religion, same can be said about Islam.

Dont assume, those "many christians" unfortunately includes you.

JosBoy4Lif:

God your egotistical manorisms are out of this world David. Look at me I have chosen the right religion, Christ is my saviour.

I am not surprised when i see statements like this: I'm sure the pharisees meant the same thing when they accused Jesus of "blaspheming" to be God and older than Moses when they assumed he was merely a carpenters son. And before you make one of your numerous harebrained conclusions, i did not claim to be Jesus.

JosBoy4Lif:

well done, but what makes your Faith different from that of a Muslims, and dear not tell me fear grin, I have heard that response one too many times.

If you dont know this by now then i'm afraid!
Re: The Burden Of The Traveller by JosBoy4Lif(m): 9:05pm On Feb 10, 2007
davidylan:

You dear sir, need to do a comprehensive study of your scriptures before you start asking questions. I will ask you a simple question, why did God choose Jacob and reject Esau even though both had not even been born?

Based on my knowledge it is not that God hated Esau, and the descendents Edomites. He chose Jacob (Israel) to lead his people. "The chosen people" . These two clans though brothers at the beginning became bitter enemies. But that is besides the point. Jacob was bad and there was nothing in him that God could see and like, but he still chose Jacob becaus he wanted to show his unlimited mercy that he has for people. Esau would also sell his birthright for some pottage.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Reasons Why I Am Against Prosperity Gospel And Tithing: / Fake Prophet TB Joshua's 'harare Branch' Under Police Probe / Horror! Christianity You Dey Die!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.