Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,806 members, 7,798,719 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:12 AM

Please I Need Advice Urgently!!! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Please I Need Advice Urgently!!! (969 Views)

My Sister Is Married To The Most Chronic Cheat Ever. Please I Need Advice / Heeelllpppppp! Advice Urgently Needed. / Pls Advice Urgently Nairalanders... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please I Need Advice Urgently!!! by dxeom(m): 9:16pm On Aug 08, 2017
Good evening Nairalanders, Pls i need a mature advice on my situation right now. I studied mechanical engineering in school and i finished NYSC in 2013. Then i came back home to support my parents in a new private school we just set up. They asked me to help them manage the school while i look for a job. The profit has not been good but enough to sustain the school. My dad is this extravagant type. He can spend all his money at once without thinking. I have tried to manage with him, but no improvement. Sometimes i have to quarrel with him so that he will not finish the little profit we make. Almost four years now, no headway and the job is not forthcoming. Sometimes the whole school thing takes all my time and i feel am not doing enough to get a job. Most times i use online job search and application.

I am almost frustrated about it.

Now i feel like quitting the school so that i can concentrate on looking for a job. I love to practice my profession. But if i quit he might not be able to cope in terms of running the school. I am confused right now on which action to take.

Pls i need your advice about this.

Thanks in advance
Re: Please I Need Advice Urgently!!! by Afam4eva(m): 9:18pm On Aug 08, 2017
You need to find your own way. If the business has not been making headway for 4 years, what difference will it it make if you leave? Not much. You have to sit your people down and tell them that's its time you found your own way. The time is now.

2 Likes

Re: Please I Need Advice Urgently!!! by Yeligray(m): 9:39pm On Aug 08, 2017
Your most precious freedom is the freedom of choice; don't let anybody deny you of it.

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Advice Urgently!!! by uboma(m): 3:29am On Aug 09, 2017
@ dxeom,

It takes quite some time for a newly established school to break even.

My advise is, don't quit the school at least for the sake of your family since daddy is not disciplined when it comes to managing finances. Without you, your dad may probably run down the school business. While at this, you also need to look at your competitors around. what services can you improve on or even introduce to make your family owned school really stand out?

Your experience at managing the school will boost your Curriculum Vitae and also come in handy when a job eventually comes your way. this is where you have to multi-task. Most job applications are today are usually done online. this you can create time for out of your busy schedule. You could devote the weekends to look up and apply for vacancies released during the week and that matches your qualification and experience.

Do not stay idle while job hunting though.

Manage the school well and you could hit a goldmine in the long run....

3 Likes

Re: Please I Need Advice Urgently!!! by johnson232: 4:49pm On Aug 09, 2017
Afam4eva:
You need to find your own way. If the business has not been making headway for 4 years, what difference will it it make if you leave? Not much. You have to sit your people down and tell them that's its time you found your own way. The time is now.
Was he lost before that u are telling him to find his own way?
It is tough out there
Searching for a job is not a work u gonna be doing all day.
It is a part time thing
I don't see how managing a school stops one from finding job
Op sustain yourself with anything u get from that place till u get a good job

U can leave if u wanna start begging for change from your parents & friends
We don't value what we have till we lose them
Many graduates with masters are looking for school admin work pending the time they get a good job...here u are forming jamesbond...e be like say e ton tey wey hungry beat u....

2 Likes

Re: Please I Need Advice Urgently!!! by johnson232: 4:53pm On Aug 09, 2017
uboma:
@ dxeom,

It takes quite some time for a newly established school to break even.

My advise is, don't quit the school at least for the sake of your family since daddy is not disciplined when it comes to managing finances. Without you, your dad may probably run down the school business. While at this, you also need to look at your competitors around. what services can you improve on or even introduce to make your family owned school really stand out?

Your experience at managing the school will boost your Curriculum Vitae and also come in handy when a job eventually comes your way. this is where you have to multi-task. Most job applications are today are usually done online. this you can create time for out of your busy schedule. You could devote the weekends to look up and apply for vacancies released during the week and that matches your qualification and experience.

Do not stay idle while job hunting though.

Manage the school well and you could hit a goldmine in the long run....
@bold which family?
Op is even the one benefitting more from that school
His experience there will broaden his administrative knowledge
& more importantly, since it is a family business, he is gonna be getting away with many things, which he wouldn't have done while working for some else.

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Advice Urgently!!! by SEUNOKIKI: 5:17pm On Aug 09, 2017
dxeom:
Good evening Nairalanders, Pls i need a mature advice on my situation right now. I studied mechanical engineering in school and i finished NYSC in 2013. Then i came back home to support my parents in a new private school we just set up. They asked me to help them manage the school while i look for a job. The profit has not been good but enough to sustain the school. My dad is this extravagant type. He can spend all his money at once without thinking. I have tried to manage with him, but no improvement. Sometimes i have to quarrel with him so that he will not finish the little profit we make. Almost four years now, no headway and the job is not forthcoming. Sometimes the whole school thing takes all my time and i feel am not doing enough to get a job. Most times i use online job search and application.

I am almost frustrated about it.

Now i feel like quitting the school so that i can concentrate on looking for a job. I love to practice my profession. But if i quit he might not be able to cope in terms of running the school. I am confused right now on which action to take.

Pls i need your advice about this.

Thanks in advance

Looking for Job in Nigeria today is not an easy task. Having a school owned by the family you should see as a good job, chrished it. Dream Big by doing your best to build it. God bless you

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Advice Urgently!!! by tuscani: 9:46pm On Aug 09, 2017
Your dad is extravagant and you want to leave him for who ? Please stay and manage your father and the school, I am of the believe that we should in heritage our father's wealth and waste, not just the wealth alone.
Re: Please I Need Advice Urgently!!! by Richy4(m): 7:57am On Aug 10, 2017
The choice is yours to leave or not to leave..But the last time i checked, people still manage their family business no matter what they studied...Example Diamond bank Nigeria...The owner, I am 95% sure his kids did not study anything related to finance but they are there..Winners chapel..The man's kids might not have gone to theological school but they are managing their father's business... u might say it was different...but family business is family business...

If you have been keeping the business afloat
up till now, why not consider doing it full time.. and give 100% of your time to it..Rome was not built in a day you know, it's a gradual process..besides, u will be your own boss,

All u need do is make it professional, and tell your dad that you were considering taking the school as full time job but on one condition...U state all u do not like about what he was doing..if he agrees, he will put it into writing...And both of u will map out a way money can be withdrawn...

if he doesn't agree, u find your Square root...It is all about happiness and doing what u like in life but some times we make sacrifices just for family.. best of luck..

(1) (Reply)

The Biggest Amazing 12 Days Of Christmas Sales!. / Family Allowed 23-year-old Son Marry 38-old Divorcee After She Paid $800,000 / I Feel So Horrible That I Am In Love With My Soul Mate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.