Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:23 AM

If You Believe You Know English - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / If You Believe You Know English (877 Views)

BELIEVE - A Romance Story / You're Not Gonna Believe That This Short Movie Was Shot With A Phone / When People Cease To Believe In God This Happens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If You Believe You Know English by Abbey2sam(m): 10:20pm On Aug 08, 2017
I came across this on Facebook

which is the correct option

1 Share

Re: If You Believe You Know English by Paulpaulpaul(m): 10:28pm On Aug 08, 2017
A
Re: If You Believe You Know English by nextprince: 10:33pm On Aug 08, 2017
A of course.
Re: If You Believe You Know English by Nobody: 10:38pm On Aug 08, 2017
A
Re: If You Believe You Know English by Nobody: 10:52pm On Aug 08, 2017
i'm nt gud at english, but i wil choose c
Re: If You Believe You Know English by pweetymhi(f): 9:07pm On Aug 09, 2017
I choose c though not an English student
Re: If You Believe You Know English by Diamond13(f): 6:34pm On Aug 17, 2017
Paulpaulpaul:
A
A is correct. Noun - Verb agreement. 'Woman' (the subject of the sentence is a singular noun therefore, the verb 'sell' will be singular also.
Re: If You Believe You Know English by Diamond13(f): 6:40pm On Aug 17, 2017
Abbey2sam:
I came across this on Facebook

which is the correct option
'A' is correct. Noun-Verb agreement. 'Woman' (the subject of the sentence) is singular therefore, the verb should be singular.
Re: If You Believe You Know English by Paulpaulpaul(m): 10:11pm On Aug 17, 2017
Diamond13:

A is correct. Noun - Verb agreement. 'Woman' (the subject of the sentence is a singular noun therefore, the verb 'sell' will be singular also.

Yes, it is at the face level but it might be termed wrong when we talk about wordiness and redundancy. "sells" is repeated unnecessarily and it makes the second "sells" redundant.

The same sentence could be written thus:

The woman sells apples and oranges.

This is different from: The woman who sells oranges also teaches. Two unrelated actions. All in all, the sentence is grammatically correct but failed yardsticks of styles
Re: If You Believe You Know English by arinze3131(m): 11:31pm On Aug 17, 2017
B
Re: If You Believe You Know English by Queerworld(m): 12:46am On Aug 18, 2017
D. My opinion though.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

My Pure Love For Lizzy - Episode 3 / Help On Any Crime And Action Filled Story? / Unbound Hearts: (A Must Read Short Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.