Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,925 members, 7,806,688 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:50 PM

Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? (29240 Views)

Son-in-law Impregnates Mother-in-law Who Came To Take Care Of Newborn Baby (pics / My Wife's Family Has Ruined My Home And My Life / Big And Bold Husband And Wife Family Picture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Rapmoney(m): 11:42am On Aug 10, 2017
A friend of mine recently lamented badly how he has been subjected to a mere source of income for his wife's family. Apart from buying things for them during festive periods, he is still been called on every now and then to take care of minor issues that should ordinarily be taken care of the family. There are grown up men in his wife's family but this young man will still be called on to foot medical bills of his father-in-law, support house rent and other funny things such as paying for DSTV subscription. Whenever he complained to the wife about these, she would tell him if members of her family could help, they would have done that. The eldest male in the family who is almost 42 still calls my friend for financial assistance!

Now, my question is: Does it mean if my pal's wife didn't marry him, the entire family would have been wiped out by financial problems? I personally feel his unnecessary kindness towards the family is becoming a huge burden in life. I believe he is been used.

I believe this is a common phenomenon in some families which makes it look as if it is the responsibility of a man to cater for his wife's family no matter how comfortable or not the man may be.

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by ojun50(m): 11:45am On Aug 10, 2017
Yr friend is been control by d woman pussy, he should visit TB Joshua

61 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Rapmoney(m): 11:48am On Aug 10, 2017
ojun50:
Yr friend is been control by d woman pussy, he should visit TB Joshua
Lol! I think some Nigerian parents feel their sons-in-law owe them financial assistance.

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by BornnAgainChild(f): 11:49am On Aug 10, 2017
Its because he still renders assistance thats y they keep coming ...the moment he stops and i mean STOP...they would back off

I have been in such situation bfor up to the extent that even bfore my salary comes it has already finish

I would now see myself asking people for tips just to sustain till another month end

But ever since i learnt not to always say yes ...i have remains now

Let your friend do same too

167 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by ojun50(m): 11:50am On Aug 10, 2017
Rapmoney:
Lol! I think some Nigerian parents feel their sons-in-law owe them financial assistance.

all fall down to hw u lay yr bed oh. He should called is wife nd discussed it with her. He should act has a man

3 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Rapmoney(m): 12:01pm On Aug 10, 2017
BornnAgainChild:
Its because he still renders assistance thats y they keep coming ...the moment he stops and i mean STOP...they would back off

I have been in such situation bfor up to the extent that even bfore my salary comes it has already finish

I would now see myself asking people for tips just to sustain till another month end

But ever since i learnt not to always say yes ...i have remains now

Let your friend do same too
He doesn't want to create bad blood between him and the in-laws and he is suffering for it.

6 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by thesicilian: 12:11pm On Aug 10, 2017
When I have not finished taking care of my own family.

58 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Rapmoney(m): 12:20pm On Aug 10, 2017
thesicilian:
A man's priority should be his immediate family - that's wife and kid(s).

96 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Aug 10, 2017
No, it is not his job, but this is Nigeria, we do the whole extended family thing a lot and this is one of its downsides. He is their son by extension and should help out when necessary _ at his convenience.
The wife should go get a job and fend for her people.

It's not only in-laws that are guilty of this, even direct family members. There should be set boundaries in your dealings with extended family members. This one is paining him bitterly because it's in-laws. He might not complain much if it were his direct family.

When your friend is ready to put a stop to it _he will.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by ITbomb(m): 12:25pm On Aug 10, 2017
Maybe your friend no pay the bride price finish, na by installment

Or

Your friend had set a bad precedent and they all assume he likes to give.
Why would someone that can't afford to pay DSTV subscription be watching DStv

113 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by thesicilian: 12:48pm On Aug 10, 2017
Rapmoney:
A man's priority should be his immediate family - that's wife and kid(s).
Exactly. Every other person is simply out of the goodness of your heart, not as a right.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by elektra(f): 12:52pm On Aug 10, 2017
His wife's people are not his responsibility and your friend knows it.
How long has he been married? They are probably still in the honeymoon stage and it is easy for him to be swayed by his wife.
When your friend is ready for it to stop he will put an end to it. He is not yet ready that is why he is still lamenting and doing nothing about the situation

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by MissRaine69(f): 6:33pm On Aug 10, 2017
It's not mandatory your "friend" has parents as well does he not? Rather than lament about things he need to talk to the wife as she is most likely the ambassador every relationship needs boundaries regardless of culture.

1 Like

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by eyinjuege: 8:04pm On Aug 10, 2017
Rapmoney:

That's so wrong on all levels .

No self respecting family will do that.

It's lack of shame, what a terrible family to marry from.

You'll be surprised at how the same wife will not want the man to financially support any member of his own family.
The man is a ....

Let me not use the word I was going to. Afterall, it's not my consign.
Let me comman be going

11 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Aug 10, 2017
The longer he continues to give in to their requests, the longer they'll continue to demand money from him.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by bukatyne(f): 10:38pm On Aug 10, 2017
What is their culture as regards marriage?

1 Like

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Aug 13, 2017
ITbomb:
Maybe your friend no pay the bride price finish, na by installment

Or

Your friend had set a bad precedent and they all assume he likes to give.
Why would someone that can't afford to pay DSTV subscription be watching DStv

7 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Richy4(m): 7:18pm On Aug 13, 2017
OP When your friend is ready to stop, he will. for now he is not.. smiley

4 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Unimaginable123: 7:28pm On Aug 14, 2017
thesicilian:
I tire o
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by ivolt: 7:28pm On Aug 14, 2017
Yes, if there was an understanding that he would do so.
Stop promising what you can't deliver.

But if there was no such agreement, it is not your responsibility.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Unimaginable123: 7:28pm On Aug 14, 2017
Why on earth should I take care of my wife's family?
I made that so clear from the first day of our marriage. Made it very very clear

4 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by LordKO(m): 7:28pm On Aug 14, 2017
A man sure owes his in-laws support but not obligation. However, on this case under deliberation, it's obvious that the man's in-laws are opportunists, so he should set boundaries immediately.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by tlops(m): 7:29pm On Aug 14, 2017
Yes, but you are not the man to do so. Don't they have men in their family? Your responsibility is to your wife alone, if you are blessed you may decide to extend that blessing to them, but it is not your responsibility.
If they have problems they should go and hold Buhari or their state government. They are d ones responsible for d masses. Not you.

4 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Akinz0126(m): 7:29pm On Aug 14, 2017
Am just here to read comments

@hope Naso the family poor reach?
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by 1Sharon(f): 7:29pm On Aug 14, 2017
NO!

1 Like

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Aug 14, 2017
For Some family especially if u marry our sisters from the east....its ur duty ooo...cos its a like they did u a great favour by allowing u marry their daughter

...infact as u guys are starting the union...if u are fairly financially comfortable .[/b]they will shock u and ur wife with one or two siblings that you will be taking care of steadily....
[b]
If u are very very very financially okay
..haaaaaaa!!....u will build house for them in the village oooo, replace ur father inlaw's bicycle with a car...
Bye regular holanldis for the mother inlaw...(Igbo mother inlaws don't joke with holandis ooo) she won't even be far from ur crib..men still have some shame so u won't see the father inlaw much...u will pay school fees of siblings oooo...

#no offence to Igbos, just stating experience from my elder brother's union....ndo!!!....emabinu!!

But all in all, Igbos are not bad pple..the wife sabi cook anytime I crayfish go my bro side....and they don't cheat like our ijebu afonja women once they are married...I stand to be corrected though

5 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Sharpestshooter: 7:29pm On Aug 14, 2017
People gotta learn to say no. I mean capital NO

2 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Sleyanya1(m): 7:30pm On Aug 14, 2017
angry grin

It is a suffering & smiling something. But goes a long way to protect your reputation & respect ( That's contributing & not taking up all of it).

Come to think of it, if you're wickedly broke your wife's people won't even remember your name talk more of pushing responsibilities to you. Lol

2 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by kayjee101: 7:30pm On Aug 14, 2017
After all I have been through; I will, if only they are under 20 and orphaned. More so, they must be humble.
But if they are as described above, they will perish a pauper.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by chubbygal(f): 7:30pm On Aug 14, 2017
See dem with talk

1 Like

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Pavore9: 7:30pm On Aug 14, 2017
He has to learn to say NO! It is not as if the wife is an only child! angry

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Don't Become The Family ATM / Parents Loving One Of Their Children More Than The Others: Your Opinion / My Brother's Wife Wants to Sleep With Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.