Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,034 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:32 PM

5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian (22755 Views)

Ooni Of Ife: Whenever You Use Google, You’re Consulting Ifa -Oba Enitan Ogunwusi / 5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian / 7 Things You Find In A Typical Nigerian Village (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian by DONADAMS(m): 7:53pm On Sep 06, 2017
And we always start conversations with sorry grin grin

1 Like

Re: 5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian by Macdawid(m): 7:55pm On Sep 06, 2017
Lalas247:
This is serious Sha
He forgot to add 'na' grin

1 Like

Re: 5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian by JayJayGee: 8:09pm On Sep 06, 2017
Lalas247:
This is serious Sha
I saw what you did there o
Re: 5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian by TreasuredLeidy(f): 8:10pm On Sep 06, 2017
XavierBlue:
Damn correct my nigga..
You; Oga boss I hail o
Stranger: Boss na me hail you pass
Benin? Cos it's very common there
Re: 5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian by Nobody: 8:32pm On Sep 06, 2017
Felixalex:
I'm free from work this week and I've been on my phone all along, I have had enough time for Nairaland this week and I feel the urge to comment on just about any topic I see...
The stressful part is that when I'm commenting I try to make sure it's a comment that will yield "likes" as if likes de convert into dollars at a point....

Now I see what some people are going through on Nairaland, e no easy at all grin

Shout out to Brother NwaAmaikpe.... Like he ran out of data, he's been MIA..

Nwaamaikpe will be away for a looooong time gringrin
Re: 5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian by dreamangel: 9:09pm On Sep 06, 2017
Felixalex:
I'm free from work this week and I've been on my phone all along, I have had enough time for Nairaland this week and I feel the urge to comment on just about any topic I see...
The stressful part is that when I'm commenting I try to make sure it's a comment that will yield "likes" as if likes de convert into dollars at a point....

Now I see what some people are going through on Nairaland, e no easy at all grin

Dear this commenting business no easy o

1 Like

Re: 5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian by AlwaysUltraPad: 9:39pm On Sep 06, 2017
XavierBlue:
Damn correct my nigga..
You; Oga boss I hail o
lol
Re: 5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian by nairanaira12: 9:47pm On Sep 06, 2017
JARUSHUB:
There are certain unmistakable signs that you’re dealing with a typical Nigerian that are hard to ignore. Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares 5 unmistakable signs you’re dealing with a typical Nigerian.

After a Long Period of Separation, You’re Greeted With the State of your Weight

A typical Nigerian will break the ice with something like ‘you’ve added weight o!’ or ‘wow, you’re thinner now o, were you sick?’, when you see them again after a long period of separation. This is one of the major ways you’ll know you’re dealing with a typical Nigerian. They just can’t help it.

They Have Two Phones

This can definitely be considered the trademark of a typical Nigerian. The two phones usually consist of one smart-phone and one flip or classic mobile phone. It doesn’t matter if the smartphone is a dual-sim phone and there really isn’t a need for the other one, it’s just a necessary trademark for the typical Nigerian to have them both. Although, some argue that having two phones isn’t just to show off and it’s the current state of power in the country that makes it imperative to have a backup phone, in the event the battery of the other runs down and there is no opportunity to charge it. This is a valid argument and one of the major factors contributing to the two phone trademark of typical Nigerians. Other variations of the two phone trademark includes having one smart-phone and a blackberry smartphone.

They’re Extremely Security Conscious and Watchful

This is not without good reason, considering the security forces in the country isn’t exactly top-notch and the security situation in the country is also more or less a mess. Due to this fact, typical Nigerians are highly security conscious and are more inclined to be as secretive as possible with details of their private and personal life, sometimes even bordering on paranoia with how secretive they can be. There is of course the spiritual side, and the fact that it’s just not safe to be so open about your private life because of the ‘wicked souls’ that might hear about it and do all that’s within their power to work against your happiness, even going as far as dabbling in the diabolical. For these reasons and because of the many heart-wrenching stories of people that have at one point or the other been careless with their security and paid dearly for it, a typical Nigerian just can’t help but be extremely security conscious and watchful.

The Need to add ‘O’ and ‘Sha’ to their Sentences

These two slangs add ‘salt’ to a typical Nigerian’s lingua. The slangs are used for emphasis in most casual conversations engaged in by typical Nigerians and is not limited to class, as you can sometimes find even the wealthy casually making use of it in conversations. The two slangs can also be used to express mounting anger or irritation over an issue or subject of discussion.

They Call Strangers By Familiar Names

A typical Nigerian finds it easy to call a complete stranger by familiar and endearing names like ‘mummy’, ‘daddy’, ‘uncle’, ‘sister’, ‘aunty’, ‘chairman’, ‘oga’, ‘bros’, ‘dear’ etc. They do so as a sign of respect or to establish some kind of connection with the individual. Some do so because they simply don’t know the name of the person and don’t want to ask for it. General names for referring to strangers like ‘ma’, ‘madam’, ‘sir’, ‘young lady’, ‘young man’, ‘miss’, ‘mrs’, ‘mr’ etc. don’t seem to be enough for the typical Nigerian; however some argue that calling a stranger by familiar and endearing names is done because Nigerians generally have a familial culture that accords everyone with respect.

source: http://www.opinions.ng/5-unmistakable-signs-youre-dealing-typical-nigerian/

Have you ever been to other countries or mixed with other people? Or you just sat In the corner of your room and think only Nigerians do these?
Re: 5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian by femi4love(m): 10:11pm On Sep 06, 2017
They answer questions with questions. Like;

Question: What would you like to eat sir?
Answer: Who told you I was hungry?

grin

2 Likes

Re: 5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian by folaolumike(m): 11:18pm On Sep 06, 2017
On point
Re: 5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian by ImaIma1(f): 11:21pm On Sep 06, 2017
JARUSHUB:
There are certain unmistakable signs that you’re dealing with a typical Nigerian that are hard to ignore. Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares 5 unmistakable signs you’re dealing with a typical Nigerian.

After a Long Period of Separation, You’re Greeted With the State of your Weight

A typical Nigerian will break the ice with something like ‘you’ve added weight o!’ or ‘wow, you’re thinner now o, were you sick?’, when you see them again after a long period of separation. This is one of the major ways you’ll know you’re dealing with a typical Nigerian. They just can’t help it.

They Have Two Phones

This can definitely be considered the trademark of a typical Nigerian. The two phones usually consist of one smart-phone and one flip or classic mobile phone. It doesn’t matter if the smartphone is a dual-sim phone and there really isn’t a need for the other one, it’s just a necessary trademark for the typical Nigerian to have them both. Although, some argue that having two phones isn’t just to show off and it’s the current state of power in the country that makes it imperative to have a backup phone, in the event the battery of the other runs down and there is no opportunity to charge it. This is a valid argument and one of the major factors contributing to the two phone trademark of typical Nigerians. Other variations of the two phone trademark includes having one smart-phone and a blackberry smartphone.

They’re Extremely Security Conscious and Watchful

This is not without good reason, considering the security forces in the country isn’t exactly top-notch and the security situation in the country is also more or less a mess. Due to this fact, typical Nigerians are highly security conscious and are more inclined to be as secretive as possible with details of their private and personal life, sometimes even bordering on paranoia with how secretive they can be. There is of course the spiritual side, and the fact that it’s just not safe to be so open about your private life because of the ‘wicked souls’ that might hear about it and do all that’s within their power to work against your happiness, even going as far as dabbling in the diabolical. For these reasons and because of the many heart-wrenching stories of people that have at one point or the other been careless with their security and paid dearly for it, a typical Nigerian just can’t help but be extremely security conscious and watchful.

The Need to add ‘O’ and ‘Sha’ to their Sentences

These two slangs add ‘salt’ to a typical Nigerian’s lingua. The slangs are used for emphasis in most casual conversations engaged in by typical Nigerians and is not limited to class, as you can sometimes find even the wealthy casually making use of it in conversations. The two slangs can also be used to express mounting anger or irritation over an issue or subject of discussion.

They Call Strangers By Familiar Names

A typical Nigerian finds it easy to call a complete stranger by familiar and endearing names like ‘mummy’, ‘daddy’, ‘uncle’, ‘sister’, ‘aunty’, ‘chairman’, ‘oga’, ‘bros’, ‘dear’ etc. They do so as a sign of respect or to establish some kind of connection with the individual. Some do so because they simply don’t know the name of the person and don’t want to ask for it. General names for referring to strangers like ‘ma’, ‘madam’, ‘sir’, ‘young lady’, ‘young man’, ‘miss’, ‘mrs’, ‘mr’ etc. don’t seem to be enough for the typical Nigerian; however some argue that calling a stranger by familiar and endearing names is done because Nigerians generally have a familial culture that accords everyone with respect.

source: http://www.opinions.ng/5-unmistakable-signs-youre-dealing-typical-nigerian/

Does this mean that i am not a typical Nigerian tongue.
I don't comment on people's weight except you ask me. I am not a weight police
I have just one phone. Have always had one.
I call strangers "ma, madam, sir".
But i add "sha" "o" to my vocabulary
Re: 5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian by Teegelop(f): 11:27pm On Sep 06, 2017
The 4th and 5th point is very correct.
Re: 5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian by jojothegreat(m): 11:45pm On Sep 06, 2017
6.Nigerians will never accept they are oga, except they know truly they are Oga
They be like
Boy 1:Oga well done oo..

Boy 2:Haba na you be oga na see as your belle big e no go pass money wey full inside grin

7.Nigerians will never look uche face, even uche these days no dey gree look mirror, him too no won see uche face grin
Re: 5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian by MyExpression(m): 1:26am On Sep 07, 2017
Felixalex:

so wetin yhu talk now, wey cum give yhu 44likes?! yhu sure say yhu never hack naira land!
Re: 5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian by spiralwedge(m): 1:49am On Sep 07, 2017
iyke926:
1. Guilty of number 1 but not always.

2. I have never used two phones. I'm a minimalist. grin

3. There is no security in Nigeria. To survive in Nigeria, one got to be watchful...conscious of things happening around.

4. Using "o" or "sha" when conversing, is strictly on some friends and close fam.

5. I can call people I know bros, boss, chairman, sweet sister, sugar, when I need their assistance or something from them. But to strangers I use sir, ma, dude, young lady, young man. It looks odd and weird calling a stranger boss or Oga mi.

There is something I still can't do calling a pastor "Daddy or Mummy" sad

Who asked you to defend yourself? Ok, continue sha
Re: 5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian by TechAddiction: 5:32am On Sep 07, 2017
Lalas247:

Nothing we no go see Sha grin

Abi ooo, na true Sha... grin grin

1 Like

Re: 5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian by miniziter(m): 6:13am On Sep 07, 2017
ITbomb:
Typical Nigerians

1. When you call them on phone, if they know you they shout your name first, if they don't know the number, they do 20 questions with you.
You rarely hear a Nigerian answering a call with Good morning or saying his/her name first

2. Normal acceptable greeting: How far
You want to know if there are Nigerians around even outside the country, just say how far and start counting the number of heads turning

3. Starting a conversation
For guys, start with any of these 3
a. Man U fit beat Chelsea
b. Buhari don finish this country
c. Omo, see dat girl yansh

Ever since I got my Gionee M5, na only one phone I dey use. Full charge in the morning takes me all day

Just like my Tecno L8+
Re: 5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian by Felixalex(m): 6:45am On Sep 07, 2017
MyExpression:

so wetin yhu talk now, wey cum give yhu 44likes?! yhu sure say yhu never hack naira land!

Hahahahaha grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian by Felixalex(m): 6:48am On Sep 07, 2017
Criis:

Nwaamaikpe will be away for a looooong time gringrin

What have u done to him.please
Re: 5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian by 2shure: 7:37am On Sep 07, 2017
Master
I greet o
Re: 5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian by sepalapen(m): 7:53am On Sep 07, 2017
Trust naija now they no de carry last for any thing both good , bad and ugly .
Re: 5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian by BraniacX(m): 8:33am On Sep 07, 2017
AliasJoice:
this is true sha
Couldn't help yourself abi? cheesy

OK oooooo wink
Re: 5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian by BraniacX(m): 8:38am On Sep 07, 2017
XavierBlue:
Damn correct my nigga..
You; Oga boss I hail o
e be like say you go uniben or you be warri boy
Re: 5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian by Nobody: 10:20am On Sep 07, 2017
thesicilian:
Op You are right sha. Welldone o.

As the OP said, see a typical Nigerian grin

Check my signature if you want to send Bulk SMS to DND Numbers

1 Like

Re: 5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian by cgun91(m): 10:20am On Sep 07, 2017
its like you people forget "na" and adding "sebi or she bi" to english

1 Like

Re: 5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian by kruusy: 12:01pm On Sep 07, 2017
naija na naija everywhere u go

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ogun Ife To Gbona / 4 Strange Cultural Practices Associated With Marriage In Nigeria / Obiano's Aide Inducted Into The Prestigious Ozo Society Of Abagana Community

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.