Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,505 members, 7,781,546 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:44 PM

Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows (18071 Views)

COVID-19: Four Things Nigerians Want To Hear From Buhari / El-Rufai Asks All Political Appointees To Resign On 30th April / Okogie, Obasanjo, Fayose — Six People Who Didn’t Want Buhari To Run (pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by Nkemakonam62: 6:27am On Aug 11, 2017
In spite of his obvious infirmity, loyalists to Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari are prepared to campaign for his re-election in 2019. But they may be in for a resounding defeat if numbers from the latest Guardian Poll and rounds of protests in the nation’s capital, which entered the fourth day yesterday, are anything to go by.

There is a growing level of disenchantment with the Buhari government which came into power on the wings of promises to reposition the country by fighting corruption, improving security and remodelling the economy.

While appreciable progress has been recorded in the fight against insurgency in northeast Nigeria and corruption, the country’s economy is in the throes of a stubborn recession that has led to the death of many businesses while inflation continues to journey upwards.

More importantly, the president, ushered in in 2015 like a messiah of sorts, has spent more days outside of Nigeria in 2017, attending to an undisclosed ailment.

While the Nigerian Senate has stated that President Buhari has not violated any part of the constitution by staying outside Nigeria for more than 90 days, respondents to the Guardian Poll conducted on August 10, 2017, faulted the president on moral grounds.

Expressing their displeasure with the bad turn of events, 67% of 1933 respondents to poll conducted on the newspaper’s website, Twitter and Facebook pages said the ailing president should resign from his position owing to his prolonged absence.

A paltry 19% expressed support for the former military ruler while a further 11 % responded that it Buhari’s prerogative to either resign or continue to lead the country. Only a meagre three percent of the respondents felt unbothered by his absence.

The president left for London for a medical check up on May 7, leaving Vice President Yemi Osinbajo to lead the country.

The president, in a recent letter to Guinea’s President Alpha Conde, said he would only return to Nigeria “as soon as doctors give the go-ahead.”

He had earlier left Nigeria on January 19 for London to “undergo routine medical check-ups” during a short holiday. He only returned on March 10 after an extended period of medical treatment.

He tacitly acknowledged that he was very ill, telling his cabinet members that “I couldn’t recall being so sick since I was a young man.” He also said he had “blood transfusions, going to the laboratories and so on and so forth”.

His absence in Nigeria since May 7 has birthed rounds of protests and calls for him to resign. But his aides insisted that calls for his resignation were unnecessary distractions.

“It is very insensitive of anyone to begin to call on someone who is unwell to resume,” Lauretta Onochie, President Buhari’s personal assistant on social media said earlier in the week.

“Governance is going on, the role of the President is that of coordination; governance is a collective duty.

“When he was leaving, power was fully transferred to the Vice President and today, we have an Acting President,” she added, echoing earlier points made by the president’s spokespersons.

Validating that position, the spokesman for the Nigerian Senate said in a statement on Tuesday that the 74-year old Nigerian leader has not violated any constitutional provisions in spite of being out of the country for more than 90 days. He condemned protesters who have been gathering at the nation’s capital Abuja since Monday as paid “cheap publicity” seekers.

“The President has broken no law and therefore we do not see any justification for this diversion and noise making,” said Senator Aliyu Sabi Abdullahi.

“The sponsors are merely seeking cheap publicity at the expense of the peace of Nigeria.

“We, in the National Assembly, are satisfied that there is no vacuum. The Federal Government is working. Acting President Yemi Osinbajo is providing the required leadership. So, there is no reason for the protests.”

But one of the organisers of the Abuja protests disputed the allegations that the protests were sponsored. He said all his group wanted was for the president to obey Section of 144 of the Nigerian Constitution.

“What our group is saying is that the President needs to come back home and resume and work on the mandate that he promised the people,” Deji Adeyanju told Channels TV.

“We are saying that Section 144 is the only thing that can help to solve the problem,” he added.

Regardless of the vote of confidence given the president by the Senate, his polls numbers are not looking good. It will take more than the reliance on his loyal base for him to win a reelection in 2019 if at all he runs again.

https://m.guardian.ng/news/nigerians-want-buhari-to-resign-on-moral-grounds-poll-shows/

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by seunlayi(m): 6:32am On Aug 11, 2017
No need for polls, when even the zombies are wailing some are now afraid to talk of politics since their mentor already proved them wrong.

FTC Dedicated to those who never supported PMB during the election

63 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by Nobody: 6:43am On Aug 11, 2017
You voted him stop complaining

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by Jabioro: 6:44am On Aug 11, 2017
I do not understand what you mean by reelection for Mr president.. Is the present man at London now, who had spent the significant part of this year in hospital with tax money.? Left the leadership of the country in unclear terms or with cabals.. For God sake he has contributed his own quarter let him go and rest..

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by Okoroawusa: 6:47am On Aug 11, 2017
Poll? Which poll?

NEPA poll or NITEL poll?

Nonsense!

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by ganye1: 6:51am On Aug 11, 2017
We understand that Buhari didn't choose to be I'll and being President doesn't deny him the right to seek for medical treatment for his illness. The President has done all the laws requires him to do in such situation. The irony is that those asking him to leave on moral grounds do not realised the callousness of playing politics with Buhari's illness. Though I won't advise Buhari to run again, given his health condition and age, those making noise online should know that Buhari can comfortably beat any living politician in Nigeria.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by IllegalMoney: 6:52am On Aug 11, 2017
grin grin

Buhari must go

38 Likes

Re: Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by GMBuhari: 7:12am On Aug 11, 2017
Some people will just be manufacturing polls anyhow
Re: Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by prospero5(m): 7:18am On Aug 11, 2017
i keep asking this question: is it not possible for me to keep my integrity while doing politics?
if i can't, then there is no need for people like me to get any close to politics.

buhari, a man i respect. i believe, on his own, he would not do what is not right just to hang on to power. i think it's time for his moral to come to play.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by dumie(f): 7:18am On Aug 11, 2017
Too sick to rule yet too greedy to resign

77 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by dumie(f): 7:21am On Aug 11, 2017
Bitcoin1000:
You voted him stop complaining
Not everyone voted or supported the illiterate Buhari

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by orisa37: 7:23am On Aug 11, 2017
Lord Lugard described Hausa/Fulani as SENSUAL, DISLOYAL AND IMMORAL. What else?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by Rrankdonga(m): 7:30am On Aug 11, 2017
Okoroawusa:
Poll? Which poll?

NEPA poll or NITEL poll?

Nonsense!
Oya read and end this ignorance once and for all.

A pole is a slender, rounded, long piece of wood or metal. Often, one end of a pole is stuck in the ground and used as a support for a tent or something similar.

A poll is the process of casting votes or the number of votes cast in an election.

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by tuniski: 7:35am On Aug 11, 2017
ganye1:
We understand that Buhari didn't choose to be I'll and being President doesn't deny him the right to seek for medical treatment for his illness. The President has done all the laws requires him to do in such situation. The irony is that those asking him to leave on moral grounds do not realised the callousness of playing politics with Buhari's illness. Though I won't advise Buhari to run again, given his health condition and age, those making noise online should know that Buhari can comfortably beat any living politician in Nigeria.
Illusion!

15 Likes

Re: Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by IllegalMoney: 8:08am On Aug 11, 2017
ganye1:

grin grin grin

Zombie oh Zombie

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by NwaAmaikpe: 8:10am On Aug 11, 2017
shocked

Buhari should not resign, he is too wicked to be alive after ruining this country and it's citizens.

He should just die.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by NothingDoMe: 8:10am On Aug 11, 2017
And economic grounds please.

Asides from his harmful economic policies, he's just gulping presidential Resources without adding any positive impact to the Nation.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by medolab90(m): 8:11am On Aug 11, 2017
Here he is grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by jchioma: 8:11am On Aug 11, 2017
Buhari from every indication can not preside over this nation again. He should just resign and save us from the agony of a nation on autopilot, where rats are having a field day at the expense of the economy. Osibanjo is constrained by the hawks using the president's name to control affairs.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by MrRhymes101(m): 8:11am On Aug 11, 2017
They are making it look like if he resigns the fortune of the country would change overnight. Misplaced priority!
Re: Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by burqueenx(f): 8:11am On Aug 11, 2017
grin

Re: Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by Promismike(m): 8:13am On Aug 11, 2017
Gbam
Re: Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by Nobody: 8:14am On Aug 11, 2017

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by Bolustical: 8:15am On Aug 11, 2017
[s]
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Buhari should not resign, he is too wicked to be alive after ruining this country and it's citizens.

He should just die.
orisa37:
Lord Lugard described Hausa/Fulani as SENSUAL, DISLOYAL AND IMMORAL.
What else?
[/s]
Yes, I want the President to resign coz he is not capable to run healthwise but my problem with you lots is that you would not have wanted the President to resign if he has been Igbo

Sullivan Chime was abroad for months treating a cancer related sickness for much 2013 and you people did not set example by calling for his resignation.

You guys are pathological hypocrites.

Get well soon PMB.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by NothingDoMe: 8:15am On Aug 11, 2017
burqueenx:
grin
This was 1984:

However, tightening of imports led to reduction in raw materials for industries causing many industries to operate below capacity.[43]

However, Buhari's bid to re-balance public finances by curbing imports led to many job losses and the closure of businesses.[44]

Buhari broke ties with the International Monetary Fund, when the fund asked the government to devalue the naira by 60%. However, the reforms that Buhari instigated on his own were as or more rigorous as those required by the IMF

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by Bolustical: 8:15am On Aug 11, 2017
yes
Re: Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by magoo10(m): 8:16am On Aug 11, 2017
the presidency is not a do or die affair,buhari should resign ,as a matter of fact that sit is not for him.
lesson : what is not yours is not yours

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by burqueenx(f): 8:16am On Aug 11, 2017
[quote author=NothingDoMe post=59360954][/quote]

Re: Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by michoim(m): 8:18am On Aug 11, 2017
Guardian poll my foot.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Want Buhari To Resign On Moral Grounds, Guardian Poll Shows by three: 8:18am On Aug 11, 2017
Yes Na,

If you aren't up to doing what you promised to do, personal honour and integrity (long before being duty bound) would imply that you will step down WITHOUT anybody prompting you.

Clearly General President Mohammadu Buhari is simply not a man of honour or integrity. ,

Lies were told glibly. The truth has found him out.

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Stop Complaining, Vote Out Bad Leaders, Abdulsalami Tells Nigerians / Interdenominational Church Service For Emeka Ihedioha (Photos) / 774,000 Jobs: Senate Panel Demands Names, Account Details Of Beneficiaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.