Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,808,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:14 AM

Oral Habits (1): Effects Of Finger Sucking & Nail Biting On Your Teeth - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Oral Habits (1): Effects Of Finger Sucking & Nail Biting On Your Teeth (1137 Views)

3 Natural Foods That Will Whiten Your Teeth. / 7 Finger Foods That Should Make It Into Nigerian Small Chops In 2017 / This Is What Happens When The Recession Is Biting A Man Harder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Oral Habits (1): Effects Of Finger Sucking & Nail Biting On Your Teeth by dentalchannelng: 9:49pm On Aug 11, 2017
Finger sucking & nail biting as oral habits

An oral habit is any repetitive or stereotypical behaviour which utilise the mouth. It is a reflection of growth and maturing of structures in the mouth.
It becomes detrimental to the mouth structures beyond the age when the permanent teeth begins to erupt. They occur in 90% of normal developing infants within 2 hrs of birth. 100% of children within the 1st year of life indulge in oral habits. It becomes a mild to moderate health r...isk after 4 yrs of age.

There are numerous habits that fall under this category such as NAIL BITING, FINGER/DIGIT SUCKING, DIGIT SUCKING, TONGUE THRUSTING, LIP SUCKING, ARM SUCKING,BRUXISM.

When I was a little boy, each time I tried to bite my nails or suck my fingers, my mum would scream ‘stop that, it is bad, are you hungry? So, over time I asked myself what is the big deal about finger sucking? When we were in pry school, our teacher used to say it is bad because the fingers and long nails when dirty, harbour infectious organisms. In fact, they waged war against keeping long nails but no one ever told us the effect of nail biting and finger sucking on the teeth probably because they didn’t know about that.

Many in the time past have proposed theories on why people suck their fingers or bite their nails like food, but mostly it is believed that it often stems from loneliness, stress or just as a form of newly acquired habit. The habit of nail biting is often a way to ease anxiety as it keeps at least one part of the body busy while the mind lacks interest. Anger, frustration, hunger, boredom and loneliness can also be seen as added emotional triggers
READ MORE http://dentalchannel.com.ng/2017/08/03/effects-of-finger-sucking-nail-biting-on-your-teeth/

Re: Oral Habits (1): Effects Of Finger Sucking & Nail Biting On Your Teeth by dentalchannelng: 10:48am On Aug 12, 2017
N.B. Treatment consideration are usually delayed until after 4yrs. Treatment should not be done until its potential risks outweighs its potential benefits. This is rarely occur before age 4yrs.

CONSULT YOUR DENTIST IF;

There is presence of a dental problem related to finger sucking

There is digit deformity from high intensive sucking

There is infection or bone damage to the fingers

The habit is affecting the child concentration i.e. psychosocial problem

There is associated habit e.g. bed-wetting, hair pulling

There is excessive reaction from the parent
The patient specifically ask for assistance.
READ MORE
http://dentalchannel.com.ng/2017/08/03/effects-of-finger-sucking-nail-biting-on-your-teeth/

(1) (Reply)

6 Simple Ways To Lose Belly Fat, Based On Science / If Poison Expires, Does It Lose Its Potency Or Becomes More Potent / What's Your Favourite Fruit?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.