Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,507 members, 7,781,559 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 05:01 PM

Thou Shall Not Kill. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Thou Shall Not Kill. (4151 Views)

The Unrighteous Shall Not Inherit The Kingdom Of God - Prince Gabriel Okocha / Interpretation Of Exodus 20:5-6, 'thou Shall Not Bow Down Unto Any Othe God' / Archbishop Idahosa: Thou Shall Not Suffer A Witch To Live By Leke Beecroft (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thou Shall Not Kill. by menxer: 10:49pm On Aug 11, 2017
"Thou shall not kill."
...But we must eat to survive.

How are we to survive without eating?
How are we to eat without killing that which will be our food?

How does the sheep, goat feel about the shepherd that kills it to celebrate Salah or Christmas or Easter or New Year?
Is the shepherd "righteous" in the eyes of the sheep?

How does the fishes feel or see the fisherman when he cast his trawling nets?
Is the fisherman "just" in the eyes of the fishes?

How does the waterleaf feel about the woman slicing it to add to her pot of soup?
Is she "holy" in the perception of the waterleaf?

How would we feel knowing that we are to be a delicacy on the menu of another "Being?"
Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by succyblinks(f): 10:59pm On Aug 11, 2017
Na so e dey start oh, them go say na so e dey do before u look e don enter market
Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by 701ecilana: 12:17am On Aug 12, 2017
Don't you think it'd ve been better if you had posted scriptures which for bits you from killing animal for food?

Am waiting.
Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by menxer: 9:19am On Aug 12, 2017
701ecilana:
Don't you think it'd ve been better if you had posted scriptures which for bits you from killing animal for food?

Am waiting.

That is the paradox.

Only one scripture forbids killing, which is the "law," none forbids killing for a reason (in this case for food.)
Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by 701ecilana: 10:43am On Aug 12, 2017
menxer:

That is the paradox.

Only one scripture forbids killing, which is the "law," none forbids killing for a reason (in this case for food.)
When it says thou shall not kill, is it to humans or animals?

Guy you dey chop human meat?

You didn't see the part which the Bible says 'I give all animals to you as food?'
Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by hopefulLandlord: 11:04am On Aug 12, 2017
701ecilana:

You didn't see the part which the Bible says 'I give all animals to you as food?'

what about the part where he then ordered them to kill Canaanite and Midianite infants?

what a bipolar god you serve
Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by butterflylion: 11:09am On Aug 12, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

what about the part where he then ordered them to kill Canaanite and Midianite infants?

Whether you type God with capital or deliberately with small g it does not change who he is. The OP is talking about something specific and you in your usual undeniable manner came in with a red herring.

It's a more knowledgeable and a higher mentally placed man like you on the thread below that exposed your foolishness.

https://www.nairaland.com/3983424/atheist-neurosurgeon-finds-god-after

Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by butterflylion: 11:12am On Aug 12, 2017
701ecilana:

Well said. Thread closed!
Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by 701ecilana: 11:20am On Aug 12, 2017
butterflylion:

Well said. Thread closed!
Good bless you sir.
Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by 701ecilana: 11:21am On Aug 12, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

Do you want us to have a discussion on this? Just facts no cussing? Do you?
Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by hopefulLandlord: 11:26am On Aug 12, 2017
701ecilana:

Do you want us to have a discussion on this? Just facts no cussing? Do you?

do you have such a very low opinion of me that you expect me to cuss? I only insult Christianity and Yahweh NOT the Christians themselves, so if you want to, the floor is yours but please don't special plead in the process

so you have a "God" that said "Do not kill" but then turn around and ordered these guys to kill
Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by 701ecilana: 12:00pm On Aug 12, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

do you have such a very low opinion of me that you expect me to cuss? I only insult Christianity and Yahweh NOT the Christians themselves, so if you want to, the floor is yours but please don't special plead in the process

so you have a "God" that said "Do not kill" but then turn around and ordered these guys to kill
Lol. First and foremost. Tell me, this God exists yeah?

Just a Yes or No answer will get us started.
Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by hopefulLandlord: 12:05pm On Aug 12, 2017
701ecilana:

Lol. First and foremost. Tell me, this God exists yeah?

Just a Yes or No answer will get us started.

I lean towards a "No", I'm of the opinion that the god as described in the bible and talked about by Christians and jews does not exist

1 Like

Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by 701ecilana: 12:14pm On Aug 12, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

I lean towards a "No", I'm of the opinion that the god as described in the bible and talked about by Christians and jews does not exist
How then do we begin to talk about a God which doesn't exists yet commanding that People be killed?

Shouldn't we be termed insane?

This discussion would ve been very interesting, but you killed it.

The law of the land says no one should kill another human being too, but the law still condemns criminals and sentences them to death.

1 Like

Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by butterflylion: 12:19pm On Aug 12, 2017
701ecilana:

How then do we begin to talk about a God which doesn't exists yet commanding that People be killed?

The law of the land says no one should kill another human being too, but the law still condemns criminals and sentences them to death.

This is the quickest I have ever seen anyone shoot down an atheists logic. Simple, clear and precise!

Take home quote:

---------- 701ecilana
Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by 701ecilana: 12:28pm On Aug 12, 2017
butterflylion:

This is the quickest I have ever seen anyone shoot down an atheists logic. Simple, clear and precise!

Take home quote:

---------- 701ecilana
cheesy God bless your life sir.
Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by hopefulLandlord: 12:29pm On Aug 12, 2017
701ecilana:

I discuss it like a fictional character cheesy

everything we are talking about are in the same book, isn't it?

that is up to you

I'm not the type of atheist that fall into your trap by making saying "Your god is wicked", my own point is that your god idea (Yahweh) doesn't make ANY sense

I'm not criticising an existing god, I'm criticising an imaginary one that people have taken to be real

can we be clear on which " Land" you're talking about here?
Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by 701ecilana: 12:32pm On Aug 12, 2017
butterflylion:

Take home quote:

---------- 701ecilana
I don't understand these people seriously. He said my God said, thou shall not kill, but turns around to command the midianites kids to be killed, yet this God doesn't exist.

How do we even begin this discussion?

Talking about a none existing God commanding existing people to be killed. It's either am bipolar or stupid.

1 Like

Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by hopefulLandlord: 12:35pm On Aug 12, 2017
701ecilana:

I don't understand these people seriously. He said my God said, thou shall not kill, but turns around to command the midianites kids to be killed, yet this God doesn't exist.

Talking about a none existing God commanding existing people to be killed. It's either am bipolar or stupid.

Hehehehehehehehe, you're moving the goalposts

one can criticise the hypocrisy of a TV character, isn't it?

one can say "Jon snow shouldn't have said A and said B again", that doesn't mean such a person is saying Jon Snow is real

some claim Socrates is real and some say he's not, both sets have criticisms and praises or both for the character "Socrates"

you take Yahweh to be real and I see "it" as a fictional character too many people believe is real

I honestly don't know what you're getting at here
Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by Richirich713: 12:37pm On Aug 12, 2017
"Kill" in this command refers to the unlawful killing of another human being, reason why most modern [url=https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/Exodus%2020:13]translations[/url] use "murder" here.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by butterflylion: 12:48pm On Aug 12, 2017
701ecilana:

No you are not Bipolar.... They are!
No you are not stupid..... They are!

But they deny both!
Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by 701ecilana: 12:48pm On Aug 12, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

I discuss it like a fictional character cheesy

everything we are talking about are in the same book, isn't it?

that is up to you

I'm not the type of atheist that fall into your trap by making saying "Your god is wicked", my own point is that your god idea (Yahweh) doesn't make ANY sense

I'm not criticising an existing god, I'm criticising an imaginary one that people have taken to be real

can we be clear on which " Land" you're talking about here?

quote author=hopefulLandlord post=59399980]
By finctional you mean Yahweh doesn't exist. That's still the point nah. Why do you spend soo much time accusing a fictional god for committing actual crimes?
Am trying to make sense out of what you just said here.

Can an imaginary being command real people in real times to kill his enemies?

I'm not the type of atheist that fall into your trap by making saying "Your god is wicked", my own point is that your god idea (Yahweh) doesn't make ANY sense[/quote]
It doesn't make any sense or he doesn't exist, which one? We're not here to make sense out of the supernatural, we are here to ascertain whether he exists or not in other that we go into a reasonable discussion.

You said this...
so you have a "God" that said "Do not kill" but then turn around and ordered these guys to kill.

[/quote]

No do not say God is wicked, but you hate God.

May i ask you why you hate God, albeit none existing?

1 Like

Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by butterflylion: 12:54pm On Aug 12, 2017
701ecilana:

By finctional you mean Yahweh doesn't exist. That's still the point nah. Why do you spend soo much time accusing a fictional god for committing actual crimes?
Am trying to make sense out of what you just said here.

Can an imaginary being command real people in real times to kill his enemies?

It doesn't make any sense or he doesn't exist, which one? We're not here to make sense out of the supernatural, we are here to ascertain whether he exists or not in other that we go into a reasonable discussion.

You said this...
so you have a "God" that said "Do not kill" but then turn around and ordered these guys to kill.

No do not say God is wicked, but you hate God.

May i ask you why you hate God, albeit none existing?

Every time I sit and deeply think and no matter how deeply I try to think about it I cannot understand why anyone would hate a non existent being or thing or place. It's a case study for science to unravel.

Why would someone hate something that does not exist? Science needs to study this.

Can hate become so pure and tangible that it can make ones fiction and mental denial a reality? Case study for science.
Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by hopefulLandlord: 12:56pm On Aug 12, 2017
701ecilana I can barely read let alone understand your last post
Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by 701ecilana: 1:00pm On Aug 12, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

Hehehehehehehehe, you're moving the goalposts

one can criticise the hypocrisy of a TV character, isn't it?

one can say "Jon snow shouldn't have said A and said B again", that doesn't mean such a person is saying Jon Snow is real

some claim Socrates is real and some say he's not, both sets have criticisms and praises or both for the character "Socrates"

you take Yahweh to be real and I see "it" as a fictional character too many people believe is real

I honestly don't know what you're getting at here
You are really accusing me of removing the goal post? I think we shd know what that term means.

You said, Yahweh commanded that people should not be killed, but turn around and commanded us to kill the Midianites infants.
I then asked for the purpose of records to establish that this God in question exists, you said no. I got confused and demanded to know how an imaginary character (Your words) can command real people in real times to kill real people, you left talking about that and jumped to TV characters.

Hope, are TV characters imaginary? Is Jon Snow an imaginary character? Even if he were, has he commanded his fans (whom i am one), to take any actions contrary to humanity which is provoking your condemnation, the way you do to Yawheh, considering all of them are imaginary?

1 Like

Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by 701ecilana: 1:02pm On Aug 12, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
What is wrong with it?
Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by 701ecilana: 1:03pm On Aug 12, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
Oh sorry, i tried to break it quoting you, am still not good at that. Pls try to read and understand it.
Again, sorry.
Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by 701ecilana: 1:04pm On Aug 12, 2017
butterflylion:

Every time I sit and deeply think and no matter how deeply I try to think about it I cannot understand why anyone would hate a non existent being or thing or place. It's a case study for science to unravel.

Why would someone hate something that does not exist? Science needs to study this.

Can hate become so pure and tangible that it can make ones fiction and mental denial a reality? Case study for science.
You read and understood my.post, but Hopefullandlord said he couldn't.
Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by butterflylion: 1:05pm On Aug 12, 2017
701ecilana:

He is thinking of a rebuttal so is buying time.
Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by hopefulLandlord: 1:06pm On Aug 12, 2017
701ecilana:

You are really accusing me of removing the goal post? I think we shd know what that term means.

You said, Yahweh commanded that people should not be killed, but turn around and commanded us to kill the Midianites infants.
I then asked for the purpose of records to establish that this God in question exists, you said no. I got confused and demanded to know how an imaginary character (Your words) can command real people in real times to kill real people, you left talking about that and jumped to TV characters.

Hope, are TV characters imaginary? Is Jon Snow an imaginary character? Even if he were, has he commanded his fans (whom i am one), to take any actions contrary to humanity which is provoking your condemnation, the way you do to Yawheh, considering all of them are imaginary?

listen please, OP opened this thread about killing and talked about animals which you actually said wasn't referring to animals, I then call your attention to the midianite and Canaanite infants and you said you want to have a sensible discussion on it only for you to ask me if Yahweh exists?

can't you see its obvious you're trying very hard not to have a discussion by focusing on red herrings?

existence of a character doesn't have anything to do about its discussion

he said "Thou shall not kill" in a book, then commanded them to kill IN THE SAME BOOK!!!

how is its existence now so important? this is why certain atheists start losing patience sometimes, you said you want a discussion but your posts so far shows you're interested on another discussion entirely

3 Likes

Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by butterflylion: 1:07pm On Aug 12, 2017
701ecilana:

grin grin

People just do not know what to exist and not exist mean anymore. Where do they draw the line?

If you have claim a child who does not exist and you keep talking about what your non existent child said or did no be asylum you dey go?

They just don't get it.
Re: Thou Shall Not Kill. by hopefulLandlord: 1:09pm On Aug 12, 2017
701ecilana:

why not check the post yourself now? does it look like a proper post? come on you're not new on Nairaland or are you having a discussion with me or someone else?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation / Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? / 'ardi,' Oldest Human Ancestor, Unveiled

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.