Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,008 members, 7,803,357 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:13 PM

Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) (34364 Views)

NFF Mourns Samuel Okwaraji 30 Years After Passing (photos) / Emenike Displays Ojukwu, Okwaraji, Yekini, Keshi's Pictures In His Mansion / Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by iyimide(m): 1:48pm On Aug 12, 2017
Beeni!

God bless you o here!
lilwheezy1:
lilwheezy1:
Nigerian youths we need to wake up , 2019 is around the corner, we should not allow these old fools take us for a ride anymore, APC , PDP or whatever they want to call themselves this time, year in year out the looters change but the looting continues, people in Buhari's govt are exposing people that stole in GEJ's govt while they are secrectly doing the thier own looting at the moment , We should change our mindset and stop supporting them, we should let them know that we are no more fools, They know our problems, all we ask for is 24 hours power supply, good roads, formidable health sector & clean water, and finally a good economy for our buisnesses to trive, IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK ,IS THAT TOO HARD TO ACCOMPLISH , despite all our wealth , NIGERIAN YOUTHS ARE SAYING NO MORE.

N.B: This is not sponsored, this is coming from a concerned nigerian that is tired of things going on the same way since primary school days, i just want my children to be brought up in a better Nigeria .

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by Kalashnikov102(m): 1:57pm On Aug 12, 2017
legend!
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by abbeyty(m): 1:58pm On Aug 12, 2017
Time flies, the time of black and white TV. Rest on brov.
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by 1metre: 1:59pm On Aug 12, 2017
Emvicprints1:
thinking out loud if we don't come out what of their wife and children
their wives and children do not represent the total population of Nigeria.
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by rakabuba001(m): 2:06pm On Aug 12, 2017
So4baba:
But whoever made up the story about him being the only player to score the only goal in our famous 100-1 loss to India deserved a national honor. Almost evry child born in the early 90's believed the story of the Indian keeper turning to lion and their players to Tiger. Okwaraji had to use his power laden left leg to play the eventual shot that Wil give us our only goal and kill him as such.. He sacrificed himself for the country, hence India were banned for life from playing soccer. .. Quite salvage from the story inventor...

No social media but the fallacy spread like wild fire Aswear, here in Kaduna we believed it. grin grin cool
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by So4baba(m): 2:10pm On Aug 12, 2017
rakabuba001:

No social media but the fallacy spread like wild fire Aswear, here in Kaduna we believed it. grin grin cool
Still baffles me Hw that story gt to trend that much that we all believed it...
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by Burntcoal(f): 2:26pm On Aug 12, 2017
omg!! I used to say oparaji n I believed the 100-1 Indian fable. omashey oooo
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by naptu2: 2:28pm On Aug 12, 2017
philtex:
The 99-1? cheesy

hakeem4:
I never watched him play football but I heard he was the one who scored the only goal against India

100-1

So4baba:
But whoever made up the story about him being the only player to score the only goal in our famous 100-1 loss to India deserved a national honor. Almost evry child born in the early 90's believed the story of the Indian keeper turning to lion and their players to Tiger. Okwaraji had to use his power laden left leg to play the eventual shot that Wil give us our only goal and kill him as such.. He sacrificed himself for the country, hence India were banned for life from playing soccer. .. Quite salvage from the story inventor...

That story has been circulating for a very long time before Okwaraji died.

One version of the story is that the match took place in the 1950s and Teslim Balogun scored Nigeria's only goal.

There's another equally crazy story that Thunder Balogun stopped playing football because he killed his brother with a terrific shot. The legend states that nobody could stop Teslim Balogun's shot (which was why he could score against the Indians), but his brother made a bet with him that he could stop it.

So the brother was in goal and Thunder Balogun played the ball with his left foot and it ripped through his brother's stomach and into the goal.

And that's why he stopped playing football. grin

1 Like

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by Kingslaw(m): 2:29pm On Aug 12, 2017
So4baba:
so why is India not participating in world tournaments?
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by naptu2: 2:36pm On Aug 12, 2017
Innodon:
the best striker

He was a utility midfielder. He could play as an attacking midfielder, defensive midfielder and even on the wings and he was a workaholic.

People loved him not only because of his performance on the pitch, but also for his conduct off the pitch. He always arrived early for training camps/matches, often paid his own airfare and never gave any trouble (this was when we had the "professionals", Europe based players who often made a lot of demands before they played for the Eagles).

He studied law and was studying for his masters degree in an Italian university when he died.

3 Likes

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by naptu2: 2:38pm On Aug 12, 2017
Kingslaw:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_national_football_team
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by Bakrabas: 2:46pm On Aug 12, 2017
YorubaNigga:
Samuel Okwaraji the Nigerian football Legend

That Ogun naira is how much in dollars or would they still be spending naira
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by hardbody: 2:49pm On Aug 12, 2017
9jakohai:

Thanks for the memories.

Was nine years old at the time, watching the match on television with my dad, brother and little sister (mum thought, and still thinks football is a waste of time cheesy). I recall when he was carried off, and then it just seemed normal.....a footballer gets injured, and carried off the pitch. Even when he was replaced, I thought "oh, too injured to continue the game).

It was a shock to hear the following day that he was dead. I mean, with my then brief experience of football, footballers never died on the pitch. I recall reading about the funeral in the now defunct weekend Concord., and how an autopsy had found he had an " enlarged heart ' ( my introduction to the world of congenital heart disease ).

Really sad then,still sad now.

What i remember was along same lines. I recall reading that he was a lawyer, i was also impressed to read that he was not invited but paid his way and on his own volition offered his services to play, which offer was even severally rejected by the then coach and trainer.

That guy was an epitome of nationalism and patriotism.

3 Likes

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by logica(m): 3:02pm On Aug 12, 2017
naptu2:

One version of the story is that the match took place in the 1950s and Teslim Balogun scored Nigeria's only goal.

There's another equally crazy story that Thunder Balogun stopped playing football because he killed his brother with a terrific shot. The legend states that nobody could stop Teslim Balogun's shot (which was why he could score against the Indians), but his brother made a bet with him that he could stop it.

So the brother was in goal and Thunder Balogun played the ball and it ripped through his brother's stomach and into the goal.

...tore the net and killed an onlooker behind the post. That is, after tearing through the goalie's guts.
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by Kingslaw(m): 3:02pm On Aug 12, 2017
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by Ladybluecash(f): 3:12pm On Aug 12, 2017
jared007:
There's a song we used to sing about Sam Okwaraji and the lyrics goes like this:

Am going home, am going home, am going home, to watch a match.
Between Nigeria and Angola, am going home, to watch a match.
Okwaraji was a player, he came to play for Nigeria.
As he was playing he fell and died, that was the end of Okwaraji,

O-K-W-A-R-A-J-I may God bless you inside your grave!
O-K-W-A-R-A-J-I may God bless you inside your grave!

Nigeria play ball, Nigeria win
Babangida jump up, ten kobo fall
Onyeka pick am buy Akara chop
Babangida cry, cry, nobody talk
Action!
Nigeria play ball, Nigeria win
kanu jump up ten loon fall
abacha pick am go but chewing
chomchomchomchom chewing gum dey sweet

2 Likes

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by logica(m): 3:29pm On Aug 12, 2017
Kingslaw:
Because they are no good at football. Hockey yes, football, no.
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by naptu2: 3:31pm On Aug 12, 2017
logica:
Because they are no good at football. Hockey yes, football, no.

Hockey and cricket. They are cricket mad.
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by logica(m): 3:38pm On Aug 12, 2017
naptu2:

Hockey and cricket. They are cricket mad.
I actually wanted to type cricket; somehow ended typing hockey. Well, hockey is similar to football.
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by atuanya123(m): 3:46pm On Aug 12, 2017
Great footballer [color=#990000][/color]
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by kunle19: 4:54pm On Aug 12, 2017
Nigeria Legend,rest In Peace
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by naptu2: 5:05pm On Aug 12, 2017
The player that passed the ball to Okwaraji is another deceased Nigerian legend - Rashidi Yekini.
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by DocHMD: 5:22pm On Aug 12, 2017
So4baba:

I swear how we talked about that 'India 100- 1 Nigeria' fable and believed it those days still marvels me. grin

The fable even claim India was banned for 100 years after that match because whenever they kicked the balls towards our goalkeeper it turned to lions and our keeper ran away. grin
Wondered why our parents never debunked those lies?
Why was that lie so prevalent in those years¿

Walahi we mumu those years oo. grin

1 Like

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by paulynpen(m): 6:38pm On Aug 12, 2017
[[img][/img]quote author=lilwheezy1 post=59401225]lilwheezy1:
Nigerian youths we need to wake up , 2019 is around the corner, we should not allow these old fools take us for a ride anymore, APC , PDP or whatever they want to call themselves this time, year in year out the looters change but the looting continues, people in Buhari's govt are exposing people that stole in GEJ's govt while they are secrectly doing the thier own looting at the moment , We should change our mindset and stop supporting them, we should let them know that we are no more fools, They know our problems, all we ask for is 24 hours power supply, good roads, formidable health sector & clean water, and finally a good economy for our buisnesses to trive, IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK ,IS THAT TOO HARD TO ACCOMPLISH , despite all our wealth , NIGERIAN YOUTHS ARE SAYING NO MORE.

N.B: This is not sponsored, this is coming from a concerned nigerian that is tired of things going on the same way since primary school days, i just want my children to be brought up in a better Nigeria .

Thank you
[/quote]

You wrote here what I have been crying about since. Can we talk more on 08166023288? Whatsapp maybe God is asking us to do something about it
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by excel101(m): 7:09pm On Aug 12, 2017
9jakohai:

I also heard the match took place in the 1950's. grin
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by excel101(m): 7:15pm On Aug 12, 2017
9jakohai:

I also heard the match took place in the 1950's. grin
All these are generational mights, @ my time one of the might that was in vogue was " Nigeria's best footballer in the 30-40's, Tunder Balogun a cannon that passed thru the body of an opponent Goalie into the net"
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by Razzaq007(m): 8:38pm On Aug 12, 2017
FemiEddy:
Legendary Legend!!!!!

if you are born in the 90s and nobody has ever told you or better still lied to you that The late legendary okparaji died on the pitch after his foot was alleged turned facing backwards in a match against the Indians which later ended 99-1. then your childhood was not fun......

1 Like

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by Razzaq007(m): 8:43pm On Aug 12, 2017
paulynpen:
[[img][/img]quote author=lilwheezy1 post=59401225]lilwheezy1:

Thank you

You wrote here what I have been crying about since. Can we talk more on 08166023288? Whatsapp maybe God is asking us to do something about it

wow, brothers, I think we are on the sane page, am happy to see this kind of message..... we are being deceived year in year out, all under the umbrella of "Leaders of Tomorrow" I think we need to talk more bro.
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by Ashibelieve: 8:46pm On Aug 12, 2017
So4baba:
Wait, I know its not true, but I strongly believe there was a match between Nigeria and India that has a bit of that fetishness if not why is India not playing football as such?
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by airsaylongcon: 8:57pm On Aug 12, 2017
naptu2:

So the brother was in goal and Thunder Balogun played the ball and it ripped through his brother's stomach and into the goal.

This version is the one I grew up with. When he ran up to take the penalty against his brother, some fool (as the fable goes) yelled "Thunder Balogun, remember u left leg". Na so Thunder launch Intercontinental Ballistic Missile ripping a gaping hole for ń his brother's stomach.
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) by airsaylongcon: 9:04pm On Aug 12, 2017
Ashibelieve:
Wait, I know its not true, but I strongly believe there was a match between Nigeria and India that has a bit of that fetishness if not why is India not playing football as such?

Many countries aren't good at football! India happens to be on of those countries. Come to a cricket field and watch India wallop Nigeria. The fable was fanned by the impression we had of India from their movies in the era which was full of shall we say, magic. Same way the rest of Africa thinks of Nigeria as the voodoo capital of the world because of our movies

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mikel Obi's Twin Daughters In New Photos / Nigeria Vs Brazil FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup 0 - 1 (Full Time) / Cristiano Ronaldo, Top Scorer In The Arab Championship, Receives The Golden Boot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.