Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,937 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:22 AM

Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo (38059 Views)

Tax Defaulters In Nigeria: Obasanjo, Davido, Omisore, Others Top 19,000 List / Buratai Explains Why Army Created Female Corps / Coalition For Nigeria: Obasanjo Mobilizes 7 Governors, 20 Senators To Remove PMB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by greatermax77(m): 2:01pm On Aug 12, 2017
mkoabiola:
U can't but love obj for his intelligence and crafty manner.

Waiting for fayose to criticise this statement
.... Continue praising a dream killer

1 Like

Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by nextstep(m): 2:03pm On Aug 12, 2017
realborn:
Summary:
The criteria for his action to retire affected officers-
1. If ever involved in a coup
2. If ever benefited from a coup.
3. If ever given political appointment where free food and perquisites were enjoyed.

Obj should have retired himself too. He was the beneficiary of the Dimka 1976 coup.

Obj is very narcissistic and self serving.

The tactics may have worked but it is inappropriate to indirectly vilify these affected officers who bore no guilt at the time they were unceremoniously retired!

He was a retired general when he was president in 1999

3 Likes

Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by NCP: 2:04pm On Aug 12, 2017
This OBJ's achievement can never be discarded.

2 Likes

Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by madenigga(m): 2:05pm On Aug 12, 2017
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by nextstep(m): 2:06pm On Aug 12, 2017
Max24:
Hate him or like him, Obasanjo remains the most effective President Nigeria ever had. Highly intelligent. Even bubu still consults him from London.

I have to agree with you. I used to be an OBJ hater thanks to his first military regime, but even then, I realize that the country has always made progress with him at the helm.

3 Likes

Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by Nobody: 2:06pm On Aug 12, 2017
grin shocked grin

OBJ is simply the good, bad & UGLY.

Such an intelligent ape.

Baba Iyabo thank u oooooooooooo

1 Like

Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by muller101(m): 2:07pm On Aug 12, 2017
MATTHEW Aremu
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by 9jayes: 2:08pm On Aug 12, 2017
You need not quote an empty space if you had something to say
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by bakol: 2:12pm On Aug 12, 2017
Such singular action taken by obj has sustained our nascent democracy up till today..........

3 Likes

Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by iykomo666(m): 2:12pm On Aug 12, 2017
Max24:
Hate him or like him, Obasanjo remains the most effective President Nigeria ever had. Highly intelligent. Even bubu still consults him from London.
is that true
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by 1metre: 2:12pm On Aug 12, 2017
tuniski:

That is one legacy of OBJ that can never be discarded. He stabilized our democracy!
Do u hv a democracy?
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by udemzyudex(m): 2:14pm On Aug 12, 2017
Simple, cos ECOWAS will come for em.
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by donbee(m): 2:15pm On Aug 12, 2017
PLEASE WHO HAVE THE SOFT COPY OF THIS BOOK "MAKING AFRICAN WORK" I NEED IT BADLY.. THANKS
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by kamsiobi: 2:16pm On Aug 12, 2017
obj u too much,
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by phemray(m): 2:21pm On Aug 12, 2017
realborn:

My last paragraph addresses your query.

If Abacha had killed him on the premise of a purported coup (whether true or untrue), he would have never been Nigeria's President at the advent of the 4th Republic. The motive he shared and Abacha's action would have been the same - Security Purposes.

Bros nothing bad happened, the military knows themselves n d policy. Abacha jailed Obasanjo, Obasanjo retired 93 officers unceremoniously becos he knows the ethics. Let's forget sentiment my relation was also affected but its the best otherwise what we will be seen now is kaki uniform everywhere.

It is wrong for Obj to self-service and revel on a decision that affected almost a 100 families having devoted several years to active Service. They bore absolutely no guilt as no evidence of wrongdoing exists. His inglorious account will only cause further unrest within the rank and file of the Military, and animosity towards the Civilian Government.

A wise decision worthy of emulation will be to cite the pertinence to retire these officers for security reasons but with adequate compensation for the remainder of their outstanding Service years. This motivates over the tale of having them turn-coat within 6 hours.

My views though!
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by fabulousken(m): 2:23pm On Aug 12, 2017
Nawa ooo

1 Like

Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by totorimi: 2:25pm On Aug 12, 2017
When GEJ was there, there were rumours of coup detat in the offing now prof is there the same rumours of a coup had been bandied around.

It is still the same people holding us down doing all these things. The moment the VP begins to show any ambitious tendencies they will show face for now the cabal still have effective control. So i don't agree the sack has stopped it permanently maybe temporarily it worked. IBB checkmated politician even more yet Abacha struck.

2 Likes

Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by Beedude(m): 2:27pm On Aug 12, 2017
realborn:
Summary:
The criteria for his action to retire affected officers-
1. If ever involved in a coup
2. If ever benefited from a coup.
3. If ever given political appointment where free food and perquisites were enjoyed.

Obj should have retired himself too. He was the beneficiary of the Dimka 1976 coup.

Obj is very narcissistic and self serving.

The tactics may have worked but it is inappropriate to indirectly vilify these affected officers who bore no guilt at the time they were unceremoniously retired!

I understand ur point. But to be sincere only a thief knows the way of another thief.If he didn't do this am 100% certain GEJ can never pull this off. Obj has the balls and charisma to do it and he did it. We should be thankful cos a coup in Nigeria is the least we wanna see in this our present situation

1 Like

Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by Frankenstein: 2:34pm On Aug 12, 2017
Please, Political heavyweights, help your boy win by liking and sharing my story at the literature section.
*Ikorodu Guard* by Frankenstein.

Here's the link to the story...
https://www.nairaland.com/3919666/seun-osewa-battle-moderator-judges/2#59322631
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by marafaMadegee(m): 2:36pm On Aug 12, 2017
That day would never be forgoten in the history of our lives, there were officers who were wrongly framed for retirement, OBJ had caused a great pain and havoc to my family, he destroyed father's career and he had never remain the same.He targeted the intelligent ones, mostly the officers with award in war tactics and precise from staff college jaji. I could remember a photo of dad exchanging a handshake while receiving an award from Obj in the year 2000 at staff college jaji. No one could ever tell he was gonna come for them later on.
He never thought of there families or legacies they created in the army, he swooped them off and went on to move a motion for his third term agenda, he was scared this 93 officers might stop him. He got it wrong, God will judge obj for such a heartless decision.
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by janykute: 2:48pm On Aug 12, 2017
marafaMadegee:
That day would never be forgoten in the history of our lives, there were officers who were wrongly framed for retirement, OBJ had caused a great pain and havoc to my family, he destroyed father's career and he had never remain the same.He targeted the intelligent ones, mostly the officers with award in war tactics and precise from staff college jaji. I could remember a photo of dad exchanging a handshake while receiving an award from Obj in the year 2000 at staff college jaji. No one could ever tell he was gonna come for them later on.
He never thought of there families or legacies they created in the army, he swooped them off and went on to move a motion for his third term agenda, he was scared this 93 officers might stop him. He got it wrong, God will judge obj for such a heartless decision.
You see,now we are hearing from the horses mouth and this bamboo of otah will come and be claiming to be the best president there is,the best there was and the best there will ever be.

1 Like

Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by Nobody: 2:50pm On Aug 12, 2017
`
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by MicroBox: 2:55pm On Aug 12, 2017
ajepako:
Who else can do this if not retired military man himself?

To prevent your property from being stolen, who else is a better guard if not a thief?

Pay a thief to protect your property and you secure it...

Good one Baba lyabo..
That is where Buhari is failing it.. His advisor insist on due process while Nigeria is not yet ripe for true democracy....
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by Burgerlomo: 2:55pm On Aug 12, 2017
I duff my hat for ebora owu, what an intelligent and at the same time a cunning man grin
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by PDPGuy: 2:56pm On Aug 12, 2017
Bolustical:

Tell me one politician who would not take measures to protect his government,

Or if you were a newly elected president who needed to prevent another coup at all cost, you would not go the OBJ way,

Politics is amoral (Niccollo Machiavielli), there is no moraility or immorality in politics and as a leader you've got to take some critical decisions that are devoid of emotions and sentiments

That is how it works.

I am telling you.
That was the mistake Shagari made between 1979-1983. He never fired any of the serving military officers who had participated/benefited from the 1966-1979 coups. Maybe because the majority of the beneficiaries were Hausa/Fulani, Shagari thought that his administration would be safe.

Although it seemed harsh at the time, this is one action that I applaud Obasanjo for taking.
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by 989900: 2:56pm On Aug 12, 2017
And once an officer has tasted the trappings of a political life, of living in a government house, with free food and so on, he would easily look for excuses to want more if he is in a position to make it happen.

Y'all need to learn a lot from the above about the author of the above and all those opportunists y'all clamour for.
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by bigass123(m): 3:09pm On Aug 12, 2017
Factfinder1:
This man should just keep quite

No, you should keep quiet and go back to school especially the spelling class.
Disrespectful kids of the new and barbaric generation, quote me and see how sango will strip you naked in the market square.
Just give it a try and learn from me what father didn't teach you.
Ọdẹ
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by Sweetmom: 3:12pm On Aug 12, 2017
muller101:
MATTHEW Aremu
Stop that he does not like being called that.
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by muller101(m): 3:15pm On Aug 12, 2017
Sweetmom:

Stop that he does not like being called that.
are u his spokesperson?
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by suremanpatriot: 3:15pm On Aug 12, 2017
Nigerians are so gullible and so brainwashed to believe any fallacy

1 Like

Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by clemmonce(m): 3:17pm On Aug 12, 2017
mkoabiola:
U can't but love obj for his intelligence and crafty manner.

Waiting for fayose to criticise this statement
truth be told Obasanjo really tried for Nigeria. though he has his own shortcomings but he tried in some areas. I love him for his gut
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by KingSango(m): 3:17pm On Aug 12, 2017
engineerboat:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/08/army-not-staged-coup-nigeria-obasanjo/

Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, a war hero, keeps his integrity to Yoruba civilization. Ase. Love, Sango.

How to grow food: http://feedyourselfandyourfamily..com/2016/06/african-gardening-for-life-repatriation.html

1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sacking Of Oshiomhole & His NWC: CPC's Weeding Mode Re-Activated - Danfulani / Sallah: Kashamu Donates Money & Food Items To People In His Mansion In Ogun / APC Makes N12.6 Billion From The Sale Of Forms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.