Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,317 members, 7,808,069 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:37 AM

Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. - Religion (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. (35588 Views)

What Happens After We Die? Near-death-experiences & Reincarnation / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / Scientist Discorvered There Is God After Researching (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by butterflylion: 11:14am On Aug 23, 2017
Niflheim:
[s]Dr Eben Alexander is just another christian fraudster!!!

We have seen it all before!!! Now keep moving people.....................................nothing to report here!!!

CURE YOUR STUPIDITY:...............................................https://www.skeptic.com/insight/proof-of-heaven/

STUPIDITY IS A CHOICE, DON'T CHOOSE STUPID:..........................https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/07/proof-heaven-author-debunked/313681/
[/s]

The speed with which you atheists run to claim debunk up and down without making any attempts at reading or doing a proper research is simply a clear demonstration of how stupid and desperate you all are.

I pre-empted all of you and the source of your claims of debunk this and that and if you had bothered to take just 10 minutes to read this thread you would have seen that the links you posted have already been debunked on this thread as far back as page 1. If you couldn't read even the first page before posting this rubbish then I am not shocked at your desperation and stupidity.

http://iands.org/ndes/more-info/ndes-in-the-news/970-esquire-article-on-eben-alexander-distorts-the-facts.html

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by dalaman: 11:26am On Aug 23, 2017
butterflylion:
[/s]

The speed with which you atheists run to claim debunk up and down without making any attempts at reading or doing a proper research is simply a clear demonstration of how stupid and desperate you all are.

I pre-empted all of you and the source of your claims of debunk this and that and if you had bothered to take just 10 minutes to read this thread you would have seen that the links you posted have already been debunked on this thread as far back as page 1. If you couldn't read even the first page before posting this rubbish then I am not shocked at your desperation and stupidity.

http://iands.org/ndes/more-info/ndes-in-the-news/970-esquire-article-on-eben-alexander-distorts-the-facts.html

Oga am still waiting for you to tell me what generates consciousness and how it can be clearly demonstrated.
Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by butterflylion: 11:29am On Aug 23, 2017
dalaman:

[s]
Oga am still waiting for you to tell me what generates consciousness and how it can be clearly demonstrated[/s].

Kindly take this back to the thread it is meant for. I already saw your comment and will respond to it and your coming here to repeat the same question will not alter my timing with my response .

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by felixomor: 12:21pm On Aug 23, 2017
butterflylion:

Kindly take this back to the thread it is meant for. I already saw your comment and will respond to it and your coming here to repeat the same question will not alter my timing with my response .

I like the way you serve them hot. grin

1 Like

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by CatfishBilly: 12:25pm On Aug 23, 2017
butterflylion:
[/s]

But the guy has been debunked naa.
Oliver Wolf Sacks article which shows clearly how everything happened. But you still don't wanna accept it.
It's okay though, hold on to your beliefs if it makes you sleep better.

1 Like

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by butterflylion: 1:14pm On Aug 23, 2017
CatfishBilly:

But the guy has been debunked naa.
Oliver Wolf Sacks article which shows clearly how everything happened. But you still don't wanna accept it.
It's okay though, hold on to your beliefs if it makes you sleep better.

Your Oliver Wolf sacks who said the below quote?

"He speculates that “it might be related to their isolation and social deprivation, their longing for the world—an attempt to provide a virtual reality, a hallucinatory substitute for the real world which had been taken from them"

Note the words "Speculate and might".

Also your Oliver Wolf Sacks was an atheist and a homosexual who sought for anything to explain away the same God he lost faith in and disbelieved which was why he particularly attacked Eben Alexander.

Also Oliver Wolf sacks died in 2015 and with all he claimed he knew about NDE and the brain he could not attempt one single NDE on himself neither could he jump start his own brain when he suffered ocular cancer and when the metastasis spread to his liver.

Yet for something he never experienced himself he felt he could explain away another neurologists experience with a wave of his hand.

However even he could not avoid using the terms "speculate and might". Which shows that in his "certainty" he was still very "uncertain".

I guess now that he is dead he would believe in life outside the brain because he is experiencing it now in living colour. cheesy

I still dey wait for your pathophysiology.
Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by felixomor: 2:55pm On Aug 23, 2017
butterflylion:

"He speculates that “it might be related to their isolation and social deprivation, their longing for the world—an attempt to provide a virtual reality, a hallucinatory substitute for the real world which had been taken from them"

Also your Oliver Wolf Sacks was an atheist and a homosexual who sought for anything to explain away the same God he lost faith in and disbelieved which was why he particularly attacked Eben Alexander.

Also Oliver Wolf sacks died in 2015 and with all he claimed he knew about NDE and the brain he could not attempt one single NDE on himself neither could he jump start his own brain when he suffered ocular cancer and when the metastasis spread to his liver.

Yet for something he never experienced himself he felt he could explain away another neurologists experience with a wave of his hand.

However even he could not avoid using the terms "speculate and might". Which shows that in his "certainty" he was still very "uncertain".

I guess now that he is dead he would believe in life outside the brain because he is experiencing it now in living colour. cheesy

Wow.
His ground breaking "pathophysiology" will have even helped Oliver Wolf in time of his cancer.

Hehehehe, wahala for jokers

1 Like

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by butterflylion: 3:04pm On Aug 23, 2017
felixomor:

Wow.
His ground breaking "pathophysiology" will have even helped Oliver Wolf in time of his cancer.

Hehehehe, wahala for jokers

I dey tell you. It would have saved the same man he is using as reference oo.

Even now it's not too late for it to save someone who might be reading this. Pathophysiology for end stage cancer would be of greater value than Diamond oo and herbalfishbilly would make a ton of money from it since he is so sure about it grin

He is not just sure enough to post it here. grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by felixomor: 3:27pm On Aug 23, 2017
butterflylion:

I dey tell you. It would have saved the same man he is using as reference oo.

Even now it's not too late for it to save someone who might be reading this. Pathophysiology for end stage cancer would be of greater value than Diamond oo and herbalfishbilly would make a ton of money from it since he is so sure about it grin

He is not just sure enough to post it here. grin cheesy

Chai

1 Like

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by CatfishBilly: 3:37pm On Aug 23, 2017
butterflylion:

He was speculating on why NDEs happen not how they happen. Big difference.

He didn't particularly attack Eben, he was just surprised that a supposed scientific man closed his mind to any semblance of scientific explanation. Sam Harris was much more vicious.
What has his sexual orientation got to do with anything?

So, NDEs have a store in the human brain where you just reach out for them and experience them at will? Things we learn every day.
Eben is a neurosurgeon not neurologist, big difference.
And he didn't explain with a wave of the hand, he gave concise scientific explanation not GodDidIt that the only comeback Eben had was "I stand by every word I said"

Of course, in the bosom of the Flying Spaghetti Monster who created heaven and Earth where he will never run out of spaghetti and meatballs.
I still dey wait for your health section thread.

1 Like

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by butterflylion: 4:02pm On Aug 23, 2017
CatfishBilly:

He was speculating on why NDEs happen not how they happen. Big difference.

He didn't particularly attack Eben, he was just surprised that a supposed scientific man closed his mind to any semblance of scientific explanation. Sam Harris was much more vicious.
What has his sexual orientation got to do with anything?

So, NDEs have a store in the human brain where you just reach out for them and experience them at will? Things we learn every day.
Eben is a neurosurgeon not neurologist, big difference.
And he didn't explain with a wave of the hand, he gave concise scientific explanation not GodDidIt that the only comeback Eben had was "I stand by every word I said"

Of course, in the bosom of the Flying Spaghetti Monster who created heaven and Earth where he will never run out of spaghetti and meatballs.

I still dey wait for your health section thread.

You never see a trap when it springs up right in front of you. I am glad that you noticed my neurologist and neurosurgeon comment and quickly said a neurologist isn't a neurosurgeon (as expected).

So who do you think is more qualified to speak about the brain? A neurologist (who diagnosis only) which was what Wolf sacks was. Or a neurosurgeon (who actually operates on the fragility of the brain to rectify problems plus are also paid much much higher than neurologists).

Since Sacks felt he knew all about the brain and NDE he should have been bold enough to put himself through a controlled experience. Or do medical doctors no longer carry out medically induced coma again? cheesy cheesy

He would have tried this out on himself for a first hand experience and he was given the opportunity when he suffered ocular cancer. grin

If Sacks explained concisely then he would not have used terms like "might have been" or "speculate". I hope you are not having comprehension issues. cheesy

Sam Harris was never vicious. He was shot down before he could even take off.

If you say a scientific mind speaking such as Eben Alexander did made sacks surprised then he should be also surprised at himself when speaking about something such as that experienced by Alexander with such certainty yet using terms like "might have been" or "speculate".

"People who learn to speak only when they are sure of being right never stand the chance of making themselves fools". Wolfe sacks never heard of that adage obviously. cheesy

Again I goaded you on by talking about his homosexuality and atheism side by side but as expected you only saw the homosexual comment and skipped over the atheist comment. Shows how much atheists approve of homosexualism especially from a fellow atheist but if it was a religious person who was homosexual and spoke against an atheist your first focus would be his sexual orientation before his comment. grin

Hypocrisy much? cheesy

Ogbeni for over a weak now I have given you permission to post your pathophysiology for spontaneous remission of end stage cancer here since this is my thread and you keep saying rubbish.

Post it here and I will personally spread the link in the health section for real doctors to devour. cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by felixomor: 4:20pm On Aug 23, 2017
butterflylion:

You never see a trap when it springs up right in front of you. I am glad that you noticed my neurologist and neurosurgeon comment and quickly said a neurologist isn't a neurosurgeon (as expected).

So who do you think is more qualified to speak about the brain? A neurologist (who diagnosis only) which was what Wolf sacks was. Or a neurosurgeon (who actually operates on the fragility of the brain to rectify problems plus are also paid much much higher than neurologists).

Since Sacks felt he knew all about the brain and NDE he should have been bold enough to put himself through a controlled experience. Or do medical doctors no longer carry out medically induced coma again? cheesy cheesy

He would have tried this out on himself for a first hand experience and he was given the opportunity when he suffered ocular cancer. grin

If Sacks explained concisely then he would not have used terms like "might have been" or "speculate". I hope you are not having comprehension issues. cheesy

Sam Harris was never vicious. He was shot down before he could even take off.

If you say a scientific mind speaking such as Eben Alexander did made sacks surprised then he should be also surprised at himself when speaking about something such as that experienced by Alexander with such certainty yet using terms like "might have been" or "speculate".

"People who learn to speak only when they are sure of being right never stand the chance of making themselves fools". Wolfe sacks never heard of that adage obviously. cheesy

Again I goaded you on by talking about his homosexuality and atheism side by side but as expected you only saw the homosexual comment and skipped over the atheist comment. Shows how much atheists approve of homosexualism especially from a fellow atheist but if it was a religious person who was homosexual and spoke against an atheist your first focus would be his sexual orientation before his comment. grin

Hypocrisy much? cheesy

Ogbeni for over a weak now I have given you permission to post your pathophysiology for spontaneous remission of end stage cancer here since this is my thread and you keep saying rubbish.

Post it here and I will personally spread the link in the health section for real doctors to devour. cheesy

U have nailed his hypocrisy again.

The same person who said authentic professors who believe in God creation are pseudoscientists just because they believe in creation, is screaming that homosexuality is not relevant, when adressing Oliver Wolf gaffe.

Cant u see his hypocrisy?

As if that one is not enough, he can copy and paste for all the other so called scientific things he has been posting on this thread. To the extent he was banned thrice for excess copy and paste. cheesy grin

Yet when it comes to his ground breaker, he says he wants health section.....

Hehehe, I really smell fish grin

1 Like

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by butterflylion: 4:48pm On Aug 23, 2017
felixomor:

U have nailed his hypocrisy again.

The same person who said authentic professors who believe in God creation are pseudoscientists just because they believe in creation, is screaming that homosexuality is not relevant, when adressing Oliver Wolf gaffe.

Cant u see his hypocrisy?

As if that one is not enough, he can copy and paste for all the other so called scientific things he has been posting on this thread. To the extent he was banned thrice for excess copy and paste. cheesy grin

Yet when it comes to his ground breaker, he says he wants health section.....

Hehehe, I really smell fish grin

Me I smell herbal fish grin grin

His hypocrisy has been a very pungent stench for a good while now. Na nose I just dey use swagger cover since.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by butterflylion: 5:11pm On Aug 23, 2017
^^^^^
||||||||

Felixomor do you see that hopeless desperado up there? When they have nothing to refute they aim for below the belt attacks. Tell me Wetin clergy men get to do with Wetin we dey discuss for here Abeg?

Ask that self induced comatose rambler up there to learn how to read and not just dump comments on people who can. It's simply torture by vacuity!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by felixomor: 5:15pm On Aug 23, 2017
butterflylion:
^^^^^
||||||||

Felixomor do you see that hopeless desperado up there? When they have nothing to refute they aim for below the belt attacks. Tell me Wetin clergy men get to do with Wetin we dey discuss for here Abeg?

Ask that self induced comatose rambler up there to learn how to read and not just dump comments on people who can. It's simply torture by vacuity!

Honestly, I saw the way he hurriedly copied and pasted without even reading what he dumped there.

What do u expect from such people?
We are not surprised at such unrepentant lack of analytical reasoning.

1 Like

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by butterflylion: 5:15pm On Aug 23, 2017
Niflheim:
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!

So the christians think they have scored a goal here? I pity any fool here who decides to take this "crash course on cockroach faeces" any further

Such a pity that there is no vaccine for stupidity!!! IANDS is an organization run by quacks, fraudsters and cheats who spread lies in exchange for other people's money!!!

1.In the spring of 1975, John Audette introduced Dr. Raymond Moody, then a medical resident, to Dr. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross and helped facilitate the exchange of information between them concerning their independent research into NDEs. After the publication of Life After Life that year, Moody became an overnight celebrity and there was a virtual explosion of public interest in the subject. Soon after, other researchers began to contact Moody to ask questions and to seek assistance in designing research efforts of their own. Near-death experiencers began to write in search of more information. [/b] Members of the clergy [b] and the interested public began to contact Dr. Moody as well, with questions, invitations to speak and so on. Letters and phone calls flooded the Moody residence from all over the world.

As an educational nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization, the International Association for Near-Death Studies (IANDS) focuses most of its resources into providing the highest quality information available about NDE-related subjects. It is the only such membership group in the world.

In addition to maintaining this information-rich website, IANDS publishes a peer-reviewed scholarly journal and a member newsletter, sponsors conferences and other programs, works with the media, and encourages the formation of regional discussion and support groups.

IANDS’ purpose is to promote responsible, multi-disciplinary exploration of near-death and similar experiences, their effects on people’s lives, and their implications for beliefs about life, death, and human purpose.

IANDS serves a broad range of people:

Experiencers: People who have had a near-death or similar experience
Researchers: People who are interested in the objective academic or clinical study of near-death experiences and/or near-death-like experiences
Health care professionals: People who care for experiencers’ physical and/or mental health
People close to experiencers: Family and friends of persons who have had an NDE.
Educators: People who teach about near-death and near-death-like experiences
Interested other people: People with terminal illness, those in grief, and the general public

IANDS programs and activities:

IANDS provides reliable information to caregivers, experiencers, and the public by publication of the quarterly newsletter Vital Signs; maintaining this active and growing website; working with media around the world; sponsoring periodic North American conferences, continuing education programs, and other programs; offering a speaker's bureau; and producing a wide variety of educational materials.
IANDS encourages interest in research and professional applications through publication of the quarterly Journal of Near-Death Studies, management of a program of small grants to encourage scholarly research, creation of an NDE Research Fund, sponsorship of conferences and other programs, work with media representatives around the world, and publication of an indexed bibliography to the periodical literature on near-death and near-death like experiences.
IANDS facilitates support. Near-death and similar experiences can raise deeply troubling questions for many experiencers. Aftereffects of the NDE can be disturbing to the experiencers as well as to their families, friends, and caregivers. To meet these needs, support and interest groups have developed across North America and around the world

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by felixomor: 5:16pm On Aug 23, 2017
Niflheim:
[s]WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!

So the christians think they have scored a goal here? I pity any fool here who decides to take this "crash course on cockroach faeces" any further

Such a pity that there is no vaccine for stupidity!!! IANDS is an organization run by quacks, fraudsters and cheats who spread lies in exchange for other people's money!!!

1.In the spring of 1975, John Audette introduced Dr. Raymond Moody, then a medical resident, to Dr. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross and helped facilitate the exchange of information between them concerning their independent research into NDEs. After the publication of Life After Life that year, Moody became an overnight celebrity and there was a virtual explosion of public interest in the subject. Soon after, other researchers began to contact Moody to ask questions and to seek assistance in designing research efforts of their own. Near-death experiencers began to write in search of more information. [/b] Members of the clergy [b] and the interested public began to contact Dr. Moody as well, with questions, invitations to speak and so on. Letters and phone calls flooded the Moody residence from all over the world[/s].

And u think u have addressed this topic?
Mxsheww
Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by butterflylion: 5:19pm On Aug 23, 2017
felixomor:

Honestly, I saw the way he hurriedly copied and pasted without even reading what he dumped there.

What do u expect from such people?
We are not surprised at such unrepentant lack of analytical reasoning.

I mean I just cannot deal with such crap. Same thing he did with his last post. He did not know those links were already ripped to shreds and here he is again posting trash like the usual desperado he was earlier.

I mean there must be a drug that fixes stupid people. A dose at night and you wake up smart in the morning. We need such drugs!

2 Likes

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by analice107: 9:38am On Aug 26, 2017
bennyann:

I'm so sorry doc for not replying earlier, I just noticed your quote.

I felt because analice107 has commended you, then it stand for people like me. Because I saw it all and I wasn't surprised you did not retaliate. For analice to praise you in that means something.

I know you shouldn't let anyone force you to becoming whom you are not. once in a while, I understand because we are humans but please don't linger there because that's not you.

Humanistme, did you see the part analice praised doc for his tolerance and self control? I guess you didn't see that part because you don't want to believe she can do that. as if you yourself haven't tried calling me to order when you thought I was straying. I'm not smiling with you at all if you're still smiling. You can call me hypocrite, it wouldn't change me - the me I want to be for God, the me God wants me to be for Him. I'm focused.
This here is my erudite sister. It gladdens the hearts of the elders when they see that they have a future in their younger generation.

This is why The Master, said, "I have built my Church on the Rock, and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it".

No matter how mush Satan through his agents fight, Christ will still raise the Bennyanns, the Analicendum107s, the Butterflylions, the Felixomors and the KingEbukablogs in every generation to carry the touch light to the next generation.

The Church will keep moving.

Bravo Bennyann.

Am suspecting Dr Spacetacular yielded to what the urchins wanted out of her. She can not stand their idiocy and has left.
Oh My God.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by analice107: 9:40am On Aug 26, 2017
bennyann:

I'm so sorry doc for not replying earlier, I just noticed your quote.

I felt because analice107 has commended you, then it stand for people like me. Because I saw it all and I wasn't surprised you did not retaliate. For analice to praise you in that means something.

I know you shouldn't let anyone force you to becoming whom you are not. once in a while, I understand because we are humans but please don't linger there because that's not you.

Humanistme, did you see the part analice praised doc for his tolerance and self control? I guess you didn't see that part because you don't want to believe she can do that. as if you yourself haven't tried calling me to order when you thought I was straying. I'm not smiling with you at all if you're still smiling. You can call me hypocrite, it wouldn't change me - the me I want to be for God, the me God wants me to be for Him. I'm focused.
This here is my erudite sister. It gladdens the hearts of the elders when they see that they have a future in their younger generation.

This is why The Master, said, "I have built my Church on the Rock, and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it".

No matter how mush Satan through his agents fight, Christ will still raise the Bennyanns, the Analicendum107s, the Butterflylions, the Felixomors and the KingEbukablogs in every generation to carry the touch light to the next generation.

Bravo Bennyann.

Am suspecting Dr Spacetacular have yielded to what the urchins wanted out of her. She can not stand their idiocy and has left.
Oh My God.

1 Like

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by Ishilove: 9:41am On Aug 26, 2017
analice107:

Am suspecting Dr Spacetacular yielded to what the urchins wanted out of her. She can not stand their idiocy and has left.
Oh My God.
Lmao!!
Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by Ishilove: 9:42am On Aug 26, 2017
butterflylion:

I mean I just cannot deal with such crap. Same thing he did with his last post. He did not know those links were already ripped to shreds and here he is again posting trash like the usual desperado he was earlier.

I mean there must be a drug that fixes stupid people. A dose at night and you wake up smart in the morning. We need such drugs!

ROTFL!!
Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by spacetacular(f): 9:57am On Aug 26, 2017
analice107:

Bravo Bennyann.

Am suspecting Dr Spacetacular have yielded to what the urchins wanted out of her. She can not stand their idiocy and has left.
Oh My God.

Hi, i have been busy and off work today so just decided to check on here and was shocked when i saw 49 mentions. a lot were just crazy talk and so funny so i skipped those for yours. i am still very much okay with this website. Just trying to focus on my convention.
Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by spacetacular(f): 10:41am On Aug 26, 2017
butterflylion:
Atheist Sam Harris offers half-witted attack of Eben Alexander’s Near-Death Experience

The following is from an exchange between Dr. Sam Harris and Dr. Eben Alexander regarding Sam Harris’ blog post.

Sam Harris: …There’s nothing to debate either. He can’t reasonably claim that the relevant parts of his brain (not just the cortex) were “completely shut down.” It’s just not a factual statement.

Eben Alexander: Of course, it was premature for him to speak out based on the Newsweek article — he needs to at least read the book if he wants to avoid making embarrassing statements that he later regrets. Isolated preservation of cortical regions might have explained some elements of my experience, but certainly not the overall odyssey of rich experiential tapestry.

The severity of my meningitis and its refractoriness to therapy for a week should have eliminated all but the most rudimentary of conscious experiences: peripheral white blood cell [WBC] count over 27,000 per mm3, 31 percent bands with toxic granulations, CSF WBC count over 4,300 per mm3, CSF glucose down to 1.0 mg/dl (normally 60-80, may drop down to ~ 20 in severe meningitis), CSF protein 1,340 mg/dl, diffuse meningeal involvement and widespread blurring of the gray-white junction, diffuse edema, with associated brain abnormalities revealed on my enhanced CT scan, and neurological exams showing severe alterations in cortical function (from posturing to no response to noxious stimuli, florid papilledema, and dysfunction of extraocular motility [no doll’s eyes, pupils fixed], indicative of brainstem damage).

Going from symptom onset to coma within 3 hours is a very dire prognostic sign, conferring 90% mortality at the very beginning, which only worsened over the week. No physician who knows anything about meningitis will just “blow off” the fact that I was deathly ill in every sense of the word, and that my neocortex was absolutely hammered. Anyone who simply concludes that “since I did so well I could not have been that sick” is begging the question, and knows nothing whatsoever about severe bacterial meningitis.

I invite the skeptical doctors to show me a case remotely similar to mine. My physicians, and their consultants at UVA, Bowman Gray-Wake Forest, Duke, Harvard, Stanford and beyond were astonished that I recovered.

In an effort to explain the “ultra-reality” of the experience, I examined this hypothesis: Was it possible that networks of inhibitory neurons might have been predominantly affected, allowing for unusually high levels of activity among the excitatory neuronal networks to generate the apparent “ultra-reality” of my experience? One would expect meningitis to preferentially disturb the superficial cortex, possibly leaving deeper layers partially functional. The computing unit of the neocortex is the six-layered “functional column,” each with a lateral diameter of 0.2–0.3 mm.

There is significant interwiring laterally to immediately adjacent columns in response to modulatory control signals that originate largely from subcortical regions (the thalamus, basal ganglia, and brainstem). Each functional column has a component at the surface (layers 1–3), so that meningitis effectively disrupts the function of each column just by damaging the surface layers of the cortex. The anatomical distribution of inhibitory and excitatory cells, which have a fairly balanced distribution within the six layers, does not support this hypothesis. Diffuse meningitis over the brain’s surface effectively disables the entire neocortex due to this columnar architecture. Full-thickness destruction is unnecessary for total functional disruption.

Given the prolonged course of my poor neurological function (seven days) and the severity of my infection, it is unlikely that even deeper layers of the cortex were still functioning in more than isolated pockets of small networks.
The thalamus, basal ganglia, and brainstem are deeper brain structures (“subcortical regions”) that some colleagues postulated might have contributed to the processing of such hyperreal experiences. In fact, all agreed that none of those structures could play any such role without having at least some regions of the neocortex still functional. All agreed in the end that such subcortical structures alone could not have handled the intense neural calculations required for such a richly interactive experiential tapestry.
There are 9 hypotheses discussed in an appendix of my book that I derived based on conversations with colleagues. None of them explained the hyper-reality in any brain-based fashion.

Sam Harris: And even if I granted that his brain had been shut down — it’s not shut down now. And there is absolutely no way for him to establish (or even to subjectively know) that he didn’t have his experience as his brain was coming back online. End of debate, as far as I’m concerned.

Eben Alexander: Again, he needs to read the book. In fact, I know that my experience happened within coma because of certain anchors to earth time in memory. Of course the whole issue of how I remembered so much haunted me from the beginning — before my coma, I would have stated flatly that someone that sick would remember absolutely nothing. And I would have been totally wrong. Memory extends beyond physical brain and physical universe (again, clues from transpersonal psychology, which I knew nothing of before). And time flow in that realm is very different. I would advise the skeptics to contribute to a much broader understanding, instead of just trying to deny, if they’re up to the challenge.

To any skeptic who thinks he has explained my experience as brain-based, he then needs to address the non-local nature of consciousness ~ the broad clinical experience in transpersonal psychology (notably all of the past life clinical work, the reincarnation work from Ian Stevenson and Jim Tucker at UVA; also very relevant in terms of how I remembered so much) and address the overwhelming tsunami of evidence of the phenomena of non-local consciousness in Irreducible Mind

Source: http://skeptiko.com/sam-harris-wont-debate-eben-alexander-on-near-death-experience-science/

To any skeptic who thinks he has explained my experience as brain-based, he then needs to address the non-local nature of consciousness ~ the broad clinical experience in transpersonal psychology (notably all of the past life clinical work, the reincarnation work from Ian Stevenson and Jim Tucker at UVA; also very relevant in terms of how I remembered so much) and address the overwhelming tsunami of evidence of the phenomena of non-local consciousness in Irreducible Mind

There is a book known as irreducible mind by Edward Kelly, Emily Williams Kelly, Adam Crabtree, Alan Gauld, Michael Grosso, and Bruce Greyson that deals extensively with this. I have come across it but was not really eager to read. Perhaps i need to get it this time.
Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by Ranchhoddas: 10:48am On Aug 26, 2017
spacetacular:

Hi, i have been busy and off work today so just decided to check on here and was shocked when i saw 49 mentions. a lot were just crazy talk and so funny so i skipped those for yours. i am still very much okay with this website. Just trying to focus on my convention.
I expected this. I'm not surprised at all.
You're desperate.

Hopefullandlord

1 Like

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by analice107: 10:50am On Aug 26, 2017
spacetacular:

Wow. Am glad you're still with us. Whenever time permits, pls be with us, don't let these rebels get to you.
Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by analice107: 10:52am On Aug 26, 2017
Ishilove:
Lmao!!
Yeahhhh, She hasn't left. She's just busy.
Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by spacetacular(f): 10:54am On Aug 26, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
I expected this. I'm not surprised at all.
You're desperate.

Hopefullandlord

Mr Seun please i have asked that all these trolls stop bugging me or saying things that are crazy to me.
Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by spacetacular(f): 10:55am On Aug 26, 2017
analice107:

Wow. Am glad you're still with us. Whenever time permits, pls be with us, don't let these rebels get to you.

I am not bothered by them in any way. Just a bit divided in my interests and priorities right now.
Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by Ranchhoddas: 10:59am On Aug 26, 2017
spacetacular:

Mr Seun please i have asked that all these trolls stop bugging me or saying things that are crazy to me.
I told you and I'll tell you again--save it.
Where is butterflylion?
Now log in again and respond.
You go suffer today.

1 Like

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by spacetacular(f): 11:02am On Aug 26, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
I told you and I'll tell you again--save it.
Where is butterflylion?
Now log in again and respond.
You go suffer today.

Please stop trolling me for whatever reason. Is there something the matter?

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (29) (Reply)

No Refuse Dump Church Signpost (Photos) / Primate Ayodele: Buhari Can’t Take Us To Promise Land, Nigeria Will Break Up / Types Of Spirits That Delay Marriage Of Some Single Sisters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.