Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,024 members, 7,807,013 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:38 AM

My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate (8904 Views)

My Over Zealous Subordinate. / The Ordeal Of A Confused Passing Out Corper. Advice Needed / Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by IgedeBushBoy(m): 10:10am On Aug 12, 2017
So I'm the supervisor in this firm and in the process of preparing the pay slip, I unfortunately did a mistake and substituted the account details of an ex employee for a current one. The salary was paid into his account and the current worker left unpaid.

I called the former subordinate and he denied. I had to call a relative who works with the same bank, and I was given the following information: the money was paid into his account, and he went and withdrew it that same day, and collected a new ATM card.

Now, he keeps denying that he saw any money. And his friend here (for they were friends) is pestering me for the money, even though I've paid half. The money is not up to half of my pay, though, but it could solve one or two problems. This is my ordeal with a former subordinate.
Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by Nobody: 10:38am On Aug 12, 2017
I think you should have contacted the bank you paid the money into and also inform them it was a mistake. If the amount is huge involve the police.

14 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by IgedeBushBoy(m): 5:05pm On Aug 12, 2017
Benita27:
I think you should have contacted the bank you paid the money into and also inform them it was a mistake. If the amount is huge involve the police.
OK. Maybe I should do that. Was thinking they have little or nothing to do. I didn't do the paying myself though, accounts department did it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by armadeo(m): 8:43am On Aug 13, 2017
Report to the management he can be asked to issue out a bank statement at the end of the particular month to show if he indeed collected the money.

I have seen it done on occasion.

But as he doesn't work there anymore you have no right to ask for his bank details except via police wahala.

Either you pay up the staff or become entangled with the police. Your choice.

Also the company might regard you as careless so you may also get into trouble.

If I were you I would try and pay up as that ex staff won't answer you ever.

8 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by NwaAmaikpe: 8:43am On Aug 13, 2017
shocked

I think you are not fit to call them your subordinates.
You should be sacked for your inattention to details.

How can you justify making such mistake?

You wouldn't tolerate it if it were committed by one of your subordinates but the good thing is you admit your salary can take care of this indiscretion so it is not much of a problem afterall.

I'd advise, rather than punish the present staff by delaying his pay (even rationalizing it by implying that since they are friends so he could be in on it too).
Pay the guy from your pocket and you can either write off the other one as a bad debt or institute a legal action against the beneficiary through his bank so as to get a refund/recall.

Because trust me; the times are hard, I truly doubt the possibility of the ex-staff returning it voluntarily because he has nothing to lose.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by mccoy47(m): 8:43am On Aug 13, 2017
Get him to deny on whatsapp or voice recording then get him arrested!

The guy above ^^^ me might not have anything reasonable to say so just ignore him

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by MSItachi: 8:44am On Aug 13, 2017
The truth is it will be very hard recovering the money since you didnt inform bank early enough. Hard truth is you have to pay the guy and move on, structure a payment plan for him. Sorry Bro

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by StOla: 8:45am On Aug 13, 2017
Why treating it as a personal matter when it is an official matter?

Contact him by formal correspondence and give him a time frame of 2weeks to reply the correspondence, stating his position on the matter.

Then follow up with the bank formally and put him in copy. Then involve the police once the bank tries to protect their customer.

8 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by CAPSLOCKED: 8:45am On Aug 13, 2017
YOU NO SEE YOUR MONIKER, "IGEDEBUSHBOY".

UNTIL YOU CLEAR THE "BUSH" AROUND YOUR BRAIN, YOU'LL NEVER GET ANYTHING DONE CORRECTLY IN YOUR LIFE. grin

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by khalhokage(m): 8:45am On Aug 13, 2017
Oga, report to the bank and involve police.
Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by InvertedHammer: 8:45am On Aug 13, 2017
/
I think you should be fired.

You are careless and incompetent.

\

9 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by nairaman66(m): 8:46am On Aug 13, 2017
The police will be happy to help, but they will personalize half of the amount.. you know the police is your friend when you rub hands with them!

But before you contact the police, tell your ex worker about your plans of reporting to the police that you have confirmed from his bank that the funds have been deposited in his account and withdrawn by him. In 3 days time or less he will refund the funds or run away out of town. I am sure he will do the former grin

Please be careful next time! Everybody dey hustle for this buhari regime!! Even pastors as well..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by LUGBE: 8:47am On Aug 13, 2017
You may wish to let it go bc your mistake is unnecessary one, this will save you some embarrassment.

Better still, you can make official report to police and the bank, they know how to get the money back to you.

The above scenario shows the ex -employee did not voluntarily resign
Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by 2017IMUSTWORK: 8:48am On Aug 13, 2017
Ok go to your village and appase ur people with gifts may be foodstuffs and drinks if not....
Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by sisisioge: 8:50am On Aug 13, 2017
mccoy47:

The guy above ^^^ me might not have anything reasonable to say so just ignore him

I agree. He's a total fraud! How could he deny so well. He might say he lost his ATM, an explanation for the new one. Let them check the CCTV on the day of withdrawal to oust him. Ndi ara!

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by Generalmac(m): 8:50am On Aug 13, 2017
Make it official and follow it up..
Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by LydayBobo(m): 8:52am On Aug 13, 2017
Inform the Bank and ask for a recall. The process is that his account in other Bank will be liened; that is he won't have access to the account now or whenever until the money is repaid. Although you will have a lot of patience because he will have abandon the account. However the other Bank that received the inflow might require a court affidavit to return the money incase he refused to give them his concent to return. I will suggest you use diplomacy in order for it not to drag too cos I suspect collaboration according to your comment on the other friend working with you. Pray also for it not to cost you your job as well because you are the cause of the whole buhaha so to speak. May God see you through it seemless.

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by Nobody: 9:00am On Aug 13, 2017
You need to make it official. Hiding this mistake will not end well. What happens if auditors discover the payment later? It then looks as if you were running a ghost salary account scam.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by czarina(f): 9:01am On Aug 13, 2017
mccoy47:

well well, he dissapointed you ...he gave a really superb opinion cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by HRtechnique: 9:01am On Aug 13, 2017
Apparently scared to go all formal because you dont want to be seen as incompetent at work.

No one is above such mistakes.

I encourage you to notify him of your intention to involve the police and do most of the conversation via phone. Not text nor email because he may forward same to your office just to spite you.

Dont make threats just have a conversation with him about how far you have gone in finding out the truth and the new steps you intend taking.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by ipobarecriminals: 9:01am On Aug 13, 2017
Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by czarina(f): 9:03am On Aug 13, 2017
Bank should have those details of payment and withdrawal.... Meet them
Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by paschal47(m): 9:07am On Aug 13, 2017
But why would your firm still keep account numbers of former employee? I know you want to keep records of past payment but keeping the account number is not ideal.

This happened to me also, I paid someone some cash and he denied he didn't see the money, I panicked though and returned to the bank and told them about it, the banker told me not to worry that everything is going to be alright that she would reverse it, I just brought only the evidence of payment and the next week I got an alert that the money has been reversed.

So I'll advice you go to the bank and report, then that guy's account would be flagged and no withdrawal would be made from that account it would be minused immediately once such kind of amount comes in.

My 2 kobo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by Nutase: 9:07am On Aug 13, 2017
Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by Pataricatering(f): 9:08am On Aug 13, 2017
Report to the bank they should place any money that comes into the account up to the amount you paid him on block. If you prove it was by mistake they will refund you. Except he stops using the account but with Bvn you should be able to trace any other account he has ul need to get a court order though . U definitely can get the money back if you can do small wahala .

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by Obudupikin: 9:08am On Aug 13, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

I think you are not fit to call them your subordinates.
You should be sacked for your inattention to details.

How can you justify making such mistake?

You wouldn't tolerate it if it were committed by one of your subordinates but the good thing is you admit your salary can take care of this indiscretion so it is not much of a problem afterall.

I'd advise, rather than punish the present staff by delaying his pay (even rationalizing it by implying that since they are friends so he could be in on it too).
Pay the guy from your pocket and you can either write off the other one as a bad debt or institute a legal action against the beneficiary through his bank so as to get a refund/recall.

Because trust me; the times are hard, I truly doubt the possibility of the ex-staff returning it voluntarily because he has nothing to lose.

Best thing you've said in a long time.

And I totally agree with you,especially the bolded.

@OP,since it isn't up to half your salary just pay up the staff and let the matter die. Consider it a cost of your mistake and be careful next time so you don't make a more costly one.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by Originalsly: 9:11am On Aug 13, 2017
IgedeBushBoy:
The money is not up to half of my pay
Why would you come here forming big boy ... but crying to pay the low level employee his ever so small salary that you have diverted? Is it not your fault? ...and why would you not inform the bank instead of paying out of your pocket?...after all...it was an honest mistake... or it really wasn't? Somehow I am not swallowing your story.... I would more believe you been running a racket .... wilfully diverting subordinates'salaries and someone is not having it.

2 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by Nobody: 9:14am On Aug 13, 2017
IgedeBushBoy:
So I'm the supervisor in this firm and in the process of preparing the pay slip, I unfortunately did a mistake and substituted the account details of an ex employee for a current one. The salary was paid into his account and the current worker left unpaid.

I called the former subordinate and he denied. I had to call a relative who works with the same bank, and I was given the following information: the money was paid into his account, and he went and withdrew it that same day, and collected a new ATM card.

Now, he keeps denying that he saw any money. And his friend here (for they were friends) is pestering me for the money, even though I've paid half. The money is not up to half of my pay, though, but it could solve one or two problems. This is my ordeal with a former subordinate.

how much?
Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by Melahou(m): 9:15am On Aug 13, 2017
Forget about the money...

You cant inform the bank because you are not a signatory to the account.
Its only a signatory to the account that can inform the bank or better still write a letter to the bank using the company's letter head and signed by a signatory to the account.

But mind you, informing management about the transfer may also lead to you been queried or sacked for such a mistake and its not in your best interest.

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by Iamsammy(m): 9:24am On Aug 13, 2017
Bros I really don't kno if d alert of d payment will indicate d money is from ur company, if so, go to the bank with one of the high ranking officer in your company to get the statement of his account and get the idiot arrested. They are like that every where. Am once a victim of such

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate by Iamsammy(m): 9:32am On Aug 13, 2017
Melahou:
Forget about the money...

You cant inform the bank because you are not a signatory to the account.
Its only a signatory to the account that can inform the bank or better still write a letter to the bank using the company's letter head and signed by a signatory to the account.

But mind you, informing management about the transfer may also lead to you been queried or sacked for such a mistake and its not in your best interest.
bros he do happen even in d govt organisation, when I went for operation in the north east last year, d pay officer mistakenly pay our allowance to the previous set. Bros dem vomit the money by force

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bankers & Professional Bankers Discussion Thread / Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? / Writing A Job-Winning CV: 5 Important Things You Should Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.