Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,830 members, 7,802,655 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:23 PM

Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online (22306 Views)

Never Put These 5 Things On Your CV When Applying For A Job In Nigeria / I Mistakenly Sent An Unupdated CV When Applying For A Job (Advice Needed) / Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Nobody: 9:04pm On Aug 12, 2017
I’m sure many job seekers have heard some of these things below. They, however, bear repeating as I’ve recently had to do some hiring again and I still see too many people do these.

So please don’t:

1. Forward CV’s from previously forwarded emails – Shows you’re too lazy and unobservant. How can your email contain forwarded info of previous applications? Be wise, delete it. While you’re at it, make sure to write an accompanying email and not just forward a blank email.

2. Forget to include a cover letter – Research the company and be as specific as possible in your letter. It shows you’re not lazy like the average person out there is. It also helps you highlight how your unique skills and experience will help the employer. Again, make sure the email containing your CV is not empty, or says something dumb like, ‘see attached’. If you’re too busy to write something to a potential employer, then the employer will be too busy to look at your CV.

3. Use comic sans – We’re not in kindergarten, use a serious font. This doesn’t apply of course if you’re applying to become a clown or to work in a comic shop or kids related company.

4. Scan and email CV as an attachment – I thought everyone had learned this but I still receive CVs like this. I don’t even read, just click delete straight. The standard is PDF format created from a word document. Document should be easily identified. Document title should include your name and job position applied for. e.g ‘john.bull.cv.account.officer.pdf’

5. Ignore linked in – We’re in the technology age so I check all my applicants’ linked in profile automatically using a plugin in my inbox. If you have a killer profile with shared connections with me, you’re getting an interview. If you don’t, well you’d have to impress me somewhere else. Linked in is such a low hanging fruit, use it. Google how to create a killer linked in profile, it’s not that hard! First thing is a good picture.

6. List generic skills – Everyone is a team player, fast learner, has good interpersonal skills etc. What did you do to demonstrate a trait? That’s what employers are interested in.

Example:

‘I have good planning skills’ – poor.

‘I planned an event for 1000 people with a tight budget that achieved a 90% satisfaction rate in a post-event survey’ – better.

Always try to put figures to your achievements. Tell me, ‘I led a new marketing initiative that raised sales by 100%’, I want to talk to you yesterday!

7. Use a photo – Unless you’re working in the media this is generally a bad idea. If you must use a photo, ensure it’s professionally taken against a plain background.

8. Include Interests and hobbies – Take this section out. Leave it in only if it’s spectacular. That is something like you were a champion dancer or a published author, otherwise, nobody cares about it. Everyone likes to read, dance and meet new people. Why should that make anyone want to hire you?

9. Demonstrate inexperience – Is your CV too sparse? go and find something to do to fill it up. If you’re approaching 30 and only have a few lines in your CV, sorry it will end up in the trash. 20-year-olds now are becoming billionaires so go out and get some experience somehow and somewhere. Being unproductive in your own time signals to the employer that you will be unproductive on his time. Even if it’s farming you have to go do, do it and put it in your CV, there is dignity in every kind of labor.

The trick to a killer CV when you’re inexperienced is to create a model CV with all the experiences and skills employees want. It would be a lie at first, but make it a goal to convert every single lie to a truth. You will look back in a few years time and realize you have become an amazing person. You don’t need a job to do this. Just initiative and a hard working mentality.

Hiring is risky. reduce the risk by letting the potential employer know that the job he’s about to give you will be easy for you to do because you’ve demonstrated it in the past.

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/please-stop-doing-these-9-things-when-applying-for-jobs-online/

31 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by BiafranBushBoy: 9:35pm On Aug 12, 2017
These rules only applies to those without skills. Get the right skill, and they will beg to hire you.

Take a look http://topwritersden.com/top-5-skills-in-nigeria-in-2017/

9 Likes

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Zico5(m): 8:48am On Aug 13, 2017
That's why some applicants failed to get any feedback after numerous applications. Good and professional presentation of application can never be underestimated.

2 Likes

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by crackerspub: 8:48am On Aug 13, 2017
BlueBrothers:
I’m sure many job seekers have heard some of these things below. They, however, bear repeating as I’ve recently had to do some hiring again and I still see too many people do these.

So please don’t:

1. Forward CV’s from previously forwarded emails – Shows you’re too lazy and unobservant. How can your email contain forwarded info of previous applications? Be wise, delete it. While you’re at it, make sure to write an accompanying email and not just forward a blank email.

2. Forget to include a cover letter – Research the company and be as specific as possible in your letter. It shows you’re not lazy like the average person out there is. It also helps you highlight how your unique skills and experience will help the employer. Again, make sure the email containing your CV is not empty, or says something dumb like, ‘see attached’. If you’re too busy to write something to a potential employer, then the employer will be too busy to look at your CV.

3. Use comic sans – We’re not in kindergarten, use a serious font. This doesn’t apply of course if you’re applying to become a clown or to work in a comic shop or kids related company.

4. Scan and email CV as an attachment – I thought everyone had learned this but I still receive CVs like this. I don’t even read, just click delete straight. The standard is PDF format created from a word document. Document should be easily identified. Document title should include your name and job position applied for. e.g ‘john.bull.cv.account.officer.pdf’

5. Ignore linked in – We’re in the technology age so I check all my applicants’ linked in profile automatically using a plugin in my inbox. If you have a killer profile with shared connections with me, you’re getting an interview. If you don’t, well you’d have to impress me somewhere else. Linked in is such a low hanging fruit, use it. Google how to create a killer linked in profile, it’s not that hard! First thing is a good picture.

6. List generic skills – Everyone is a team player, fast learner, has good interpersonal skills etc. What did you do to demonstrate a trait? That’s what employers are interested in.

Example:

‘I planned an event for 1000 people with a tight budget that achieved a 90% satisfaction rate in a post-event survey’ – better.

Always try to put figures to your achievements. Tell me, ‘I led a new marketing initiative that raised sales by 100%’, I want to talk to you yesterday!

7. Use a photo – Unless you’re working in the media this is generally a bad idea. If you must use a photo, ensure it’s professionally taken against a plain background.

8. Include Interests and hobbies – Take this section out. Leave it in only if it’s spectacular. That is something like you were a champion dancer or a published author, otherwise, nobody cares about it. Everyone likes to read, dance and meet new people. Why should that make anyone want to hire you?

9. Demonstrate inexperience – Is your CV too sparse? go and find something to do to fill it up. If you’re approaching 30 and only have a few lines in your CV, sorry it will end up in the trash. 20-year-olds now are becoming billionaires so go out and get some experience somehow and somewhere. Being unproductive in your own time signals to the employer that you will be unproductive on his time. Even if it’s farming you have to go do, do it and put it in your CV, there is dignity in every kind of labor.

The trick to a killer CV when you’re inexperienced is to create a model CV with all the experiences and skills employees want. It would be a lie at first, but make it a goal to convert every single lie to a truth. You will look back in a few years time and realize you have become an amazing person. You don’t need a job to do this. Just initiative and a hard working mentality.

Hiring is risky. reduce the risk by letting the potential employer know that the job he’s about to give you will be easy for you to do because you’ve demonstrated it in the past.

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/please-stop-doing-these-9-things-when-applying-for-jobs-online/

OP you have long way to go

1. You can get Jobs without a linkedin account.

2. Lots of my Indian tech guys are looking for jobs, with excellent profiles on Linkedin.

3. A friend of mine, just got a Job in Microsoft. makes around $180,000 a year. His facebook profile pic is a dog face with 11 friends and no Linkendin account

4. Cover letter is optional.

5. Dude just be good at what you do, jobs will come to you.

6. God/luck plays a key role in life.

70 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Prevhoo: 8:50am On Aug 13, 2017
Wetin man go come do na.

Everyday do this, don't do that, yet no job.

Incase you are interested, we have created a directory of all the scholarships in the world on nairaland, just choose anyone and apply.

Nairaland Scholarships thread for Nigerians Abroad in almost countries
https://www.nairaland.com/3983082/nairaland-official-scholarships-thread-degree

3 Likes

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Desdola(m): 8:52am On Aug 13, 2017
Lovely info. I hope it helps job seekers
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Nobody: 8:57am On Aug 13, 2017
Another trash

3 Likes

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by MadCow1: 8:57am On Aug 13, 2017
BlueBrothers:

So please don’t:

Example:

I endorse a lot of the content of this post..

Cc: Rosella
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by remsonik(f): 9:00am On Aug 13, 2017
The only thing is get your skills right! Be ready to prove it when called for an interview. Know what the job entails.
Network well with people that can help your career. It is well

3 Likes

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by remsonik(f): 9:01am On Aug 13, 2017
Sniper12:
Another trash

It's not a trash Bro

3 Likes

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by successking401(m): 9:01am On Aug 13, 2017
BlueBrothers:

So please don’t:

Example:

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by ducane: 9:07am On Aug 13, 2017
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Webman007: 9:11am On Aug 13, 2017
These are powerful killer tips....Another thing though is to have a Portfolio website that stands you out.

Read below 10 Reasons why you need a portfolio website as a career person

http://doerstechnologies.com.ng/10-reasons-why-you-need-a-portfolio-website

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by profstar(m): 9:33am On Aug 13, 2017
MadCow1:

Seconded
*stamp*
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by emerged01(m): 9:35am On Aug 13, 2017
Prevhoo:
Wetin man go come do na.

Incase you are interested, we have created a directory of all the scholarships in the world on nairaland, just choose anyone and apply.

Hm,to write CV self don tire me. Add this ,remove that. One day we will start submitting blank sheet as CV.

6 Likes

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by MissRaine69(f): 9:48am On Aug 13, 2017
Depends on the nature of the job/industry not all of those points apply especially when headhunters are being employed by big companies. Not all companies just look at CV's/Linkedin I know of 8 very large organisations which use team building as a way of choosing candidates as well as psychologists to profile candidates via face to face dialogue. How companies recruit is not based on conventional means this applies to the many that seek jobs away from the home shores. But one thing is certain what you put on your CV has to be proven.

3 Likes

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by geopappe(m): 10:03am On Aug 13, 2017
How do you research on companies that are not online

1 Like

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by KillerBeauty(f): 10:04am On Aug 13, 2017
Prevhoo:
Wetin man go come do na.

Your thread has been removed
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by gretblue: 10:09am On Aug 13, 2017
MadCow1:

Cover letter is optional. If its stated to be included while submitting CV. Otherwise it becomes unnecessary unless stated.

1 Like

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by MVLOX(m): 10:15am On Aug 13, 2017
In developed countries yes but in Naija a no no.... Its either man knw man or being fortunate....

4 Likes

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by LabourParty(m): 10:16am On Aug 13, 2017
Bullshi t.

I've turned down 3 offers just few weeks ago.

All I have is my experience and skills, I dont have linkedin or a cover letter.

I pick and choose my employer.

9 Likes

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Alexdon200089: 10:25am On Aug 13, 2017
crackerspub:

OP you have long way to go

1. You can get Jobs without a linkedin account.

2. Lots of my Indian tech guys are looking for jobs, with excellent profiles on Linkedin.

3. A friend of mine, just got a Job in Microsoft. makes around $180,000 a year. His facebook profile pic is a dog face with 11 friends and no Linkendin account

4. Cover letter is optional.

5. Dude just be good at what you do, jobs will come to you.

6. God/luck plays a key role in life.

I love your idea especially number 5 and 6...Even if you like do all Op write-up is not a guarantee that you will secure a job, what works for A might not work for B, be creative in your own way, put more effort is your doings and leave the rest to God....Many were favoured by connection,some God's Grace,Some attitude and while some are their CV...Alot of people in this country don't even need to have a skill or experience or write a well tailored CV to secure/have a Job!But they are earning a well sounded salary!!!

1 Like

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Engrr(m): 10:29am On Aug 13, 2017
BiafranBushBoy:
These rules only applies to those without skills. Get the right skill, and they will beg to hire you.

Take a look http://topwritersden.com/top-5-skills-in-nigevria-in-2017/

How do hiring managers know that you have skill? Is it not through your CV and how you presented it.

.....we should learn to appreciate good things. The write up is very educative.

3 Likes

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by TheEminentLaity: 10:33am On Aug 13, 2017
Is that why you Nigerian employers never give feedback or even acknowledgement on applications you recieve? undecided Nonsense!! Don't come and misinform job seekers like Nigeria is like other places. Within, 80% work experience 18% luck/connection the remaining 2% is the wild card, like winning a lottery.

2 Likes

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by BiafranBushBoy: 11:29am On Aug 13, 2017
Engrr:

How do hiring managers know that you have skill? Is it not through your CV and how you presented it.

.....we should learn to appreciate good things. The write up is very educative.

Lies. I can prove that to you.

Anyone can just write all those skills on their CV's and yet no callback. It doesn't even matter how nicely constructed your CV is.

Some people change jobs like handkerchief... while some are scared to leave their low paying jobs.

What is then the secret? shocked

Click here to see it

2 Likes

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Abbotp: 11:30am On Aug 13, 2017
Top class post!
BlueBrothers:

So please don’t:

Example:

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Best Do I Answer A Query? (Photo) / I Just Lost My Job / Npower Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.