Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,238 members, 7,807,797 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:27 PM

Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road (7259 Views)

How Was Your First Driving Experience? / Share Your First Driving Experience / #2.20kobo: First Driving Licence My Dad Acquired In 1975(Photos). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by SirMichael1: 9:25pm On Aug 12, 2017
Here’s mine...

Still young and naïve, I had just gotten out of secondary school (high school) and needed to collect my original certificates back from the school and so I taught to myself, wouldn’t it be nice if I rocked my mom’s car to school? A little show off wouldn’t hurt or would it? I thought.

Oh…! Only if I had a rethink

So I started with my preparations, timings and all that. Everything’s gotta be right! I had to make sure my mom wouldn’t be at home when I eventually took it and also calculated the period she would be away because if she caught me, she is gonna tell my dad and my dad isn’t the type that takes shii

So the slatted day to achieve my plan came, I got into the car (it was a Toyota Camry 2008), started it, placed the gear on ‘R’ and started driving out of the compound.

NOTE: I had a vague memory on how to drive. I never went to a driving school (obviously) but only watched my mom as she does it.

I got to the junction into the tarred road and was about entering when thoughts of death, accident or even worse happening started to spring up. I could have turned back but no, it had to be now or never! Those who drive can testify to the initial fear you get when entering a tarred main road for the first time, especially when it’s a very busy one.

Off I went! I entered the road clutching the steering wheel with a tight fist, taking inventory of every indicating points in the vehicle. The side mirrors, the one inside and also kept watching the road and vehicles ahead of me and also those indicating to navigate or those slowing down. It was just too much.

I got to my destination.

Now the problem came when I met an ex-classmate there (also went to collect his result). So I picked him and my younger brother (he attended the school too). Yes! This is the chance to show off. To show off to him. Like really show my driving skills off (It didn’t occur to me that that was my first day. "Since I successfully drove to school, I should successfully drive back". I mumbled)

We started and I tried so hard not to drive like a novice. We kept moving smoothly at a slow pace when my friend said

“Guy you sabi drive ni, see how cars just dey pass you anyhow”

That was it! That was what I needed to drive without thought and hopefully/narrowly avoid death. I pressed the acceleration pedal with reckless abandon and everyone jerked front swiftly and screamed in unison

“Small small na!”

Too late, I was already heading to a holdup at a frivolous speed! “This is it”, I thought. “This is where we meet our creator. We ‘re dead!” grin I swiveled in-between two cars recklessly like I was some sort of James Bond acting a real-life fast and furious, scratched one with my side mirror and was now heading to the last car at the holdup. All this while, the two occupants had been shouting “Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeh!!!!!!”. There wasn’t enough time to say our last prayers as I hit the brake at full length and we managed to stop just right at the back of the bumper of the next car! Gory be to God! grin

No one told me to drive slowly and with care for the rest part of the journey. cheesy

And yes! I took the car out again and ended up getting my battery stolen (not the car though)

Share yours please smiley

Mr Lalasticlala, Mr fynestboi, Mr mynd44, Mr Seun, wouldn't it be nice/funny to read about our first driving experience?

9 Likes

Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by Antina(f): 9:47pm On Aug 12, 2017
Chai!! Should I say I was stubborn or brave, I nearly killed someone on the first day of driving on the road, never been taught by sitting beside me or went to driving school, just made a call on how to use the clutch, when to change gear and so on. What I was only sure of was how to straighten my hand on the steering. Though I have been driving in my street and the next street little by little before I took the courage to take it to the main road.

VIO collected some money from me cos I didn't use my belt, but at the end, God saved me back home oo. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by opeaceo: 9:53pm On Aug 12, 2017
Mine is awful. I went to a driving school, I was learning real fast, my instructor was super proud of me, he was impressed with my progress. I used a car with manual transmission to learn and I was a bada**.

On the ninth day, after my lessons, went out, on my way back, I saw my dad parked in a friends compound. I begged him to allow me drive, he agreed. He went to the passengers seat, I turned on the ignition, set the gear, the car started moving, I was shocked. My dad was yelling at me to hit the brakes, control the steering, yadi yadi yada, for where? The car went off the compound, across the road, down to the drainage at the other side of the road.

Very awful experience!

4 Likes

Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by SirMichael1: 8:28am On Aug 13, 2017
opeaceo:
Mine is awful. I went to a driving school, I was learning real fast, my instructor was super proud of me, he was impressed with my progress. I used a car with manual transmission to learn and I was a bada**.

On the ninth day, after my lessons, went out, on my way back, I saw my dad parked in a friends compound. I begged him to allow me drive, he agreed. He went to the passengers seat, I turned on the ignition, set the gear, the car started moving, I was shocked. My dad was yelling at me to hit the brakes, control the steering, yadi yadi yada, for where? The car went off the compound, across the road, down to the drainage at the other side of the road.

Very awful experience!

Lol. The funny thing is that when that happens and someone is yelling out instructions to you, you'll be more confused.

You'll be pressing so many pedals, twisting the steering all in a state of confusion. grin

5 Likes

Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by Olayinka4tyre(m): 10:48pm On Aug 13, 2017
house i need your advice i have been driving some motor in our company yard both auto and manual when they told me to go and wash them,anytime i drove this vehicle some people would not even believe that am the one that drive it talkless of parking it perfectly but have never try main road because no opportunity for that,i love driving from my childhood but no opportunity for me to handle none till i grown up,and i wish to learn commercial transportation business,so i want to know how to drive perfectly to achieve my dream in the transports sector,and i don't have money to attend driving school lesson,what can i do to know how to drive perfectly because am no longer working for that company again,Single advice will not be neglected thanks
Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by pautex: 7:16am On Aug 14, 2017
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by Zeze06(m): 7:16am On Aug 14, 2017
smiley

I watched my dad closely for sometime, never went to driving school...I just started driving.

but now I can drive so well that even if am dead, I can drive myself to the grave grin

13 Likes

Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by sod09(m): 7:16am On Aug 14, 2017
mine was with my dad, we were close to the street to our house when he pulled over and instructed me to take the driver's seat.
i told him i cant drive he said i will learn today oo, after little tutorials on gear,brake,accelerator and steering im good to go.
he ignited the engine i was about stepping on accelerator when shouted use your right leg, but im a leftie na he said i must learn with my right oo, immediately my right leg touched the accelerator, the car moved at top speed.
he shouted te brake te brake oti poju( press brake its too much), rora te accelerator( step on the accelerator gently), i told i cant feel my leg since im using right na. we were almost close to the house when the devil inside me stepped on the accelerator at top speed the mumu car raced pass the house my dad shouted te brake sodeeq ma pami oo( press brake sodeeq dont kill me) i stepped on it and the car jerked up and down.
the next thing was a knock, ode nie jade kuro nu motor mi angry angry (you are a fool get out from my car) he continued "dont touch my car when im not around b4 you kill yourself or somebody" grin grin

17 Likes

Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by nony43(m): 7:17am On Aug 14, 2017
When I was learning how to drive with Perfect driving school in Aba, I accidentally hit a police post, my people the rest is history
Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by vizkiz: 7:17am On Aug 14, 2017
Killed a dog first time behind a wheel. Heard the neighbors next compound are still looking for the dog though

4 Likes

Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by Nobody: 7:18am On Aug 14, 2017
H

D sound of the two cars meeting is still fresh n my memory, the beating too
Abi is it d inverted WAKA A fellow motorist told me
Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by jerryunit48: 7:22am On Aug 14, 2017
Just go to driving school
Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 7:22am On Aug 14, 2017
I hit and run grin grin
Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by Nobody: 7:22am On Aug 14, 2017
Nearly removed my dad's bumper while trying to make way for an oncoming okada... I forget say na okada suppose clear for motor. Driving shouldn't b a biggy for me, need for speed and GTA don teach me finish.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by SilverG33k(m): 7:22am On Aug 14, 2017
So I was on the highway, one car coming from behind probably just installed a very loud horn, or maybe it was anxiety, as I heard the horn, Paaarrnnnnnnn!!!! While on motion, I looked back with fear instead of looking at the rear mirror. The next thing I heard was 'te break! te break!!' (Apply breaks! Apply breaks!!).... Instead of me looking front again, I was looking at my legs trying to figure out which one is break and which one is clutch. in short, my car has already posed for a pre-accident picture kissing the backside of another car....

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 7:23am On Aug 14, 2017
I hit and run, mostvespecially when I'm in western Nigeria grin grin

1 Like

Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 7:23am On Aug 14, 2017
I hit and run, most especially when I'm in western Nigeria grin grin
Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by Nobody: 7:27am On Aug 14, 2017
it was my grandpa oldddd Peugeot 504..
it was fun, my cousin took me to a school playground, Thought me everything.
then i drove us home..it was sweet i just dey change gears dey match clutch and brake and accelerator pad up and down...
the next morning chei!!

it was like my legs were paralysed..
my thighs hurt real bad, couldn't walk properly for days...
Still Remember that car...

2 Likes

Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by hollowpot15684(m): 7:28am On Aug 14, 2017
I was only fifteen when I started driving.

my dad was unaware I took his keys, went outside quietly and start
the vehicle. By the time he came out I had already moved the car.
I drove to the nearest football field, and then train myself to use
a straight line.
Practically nobody thought me to drive, I only apply the verbal knowledge I gained from
the discussion I had with my sisters driver..

About two weeks later, I hit the road and drove like a pro.
Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by KingTom(m): 7:28am On Aug 14, 2017
I control Colonel 504 tinted glass wheel am dey go till I wheel am enter gutter scatter the headlamps shocked Na Cpl. Kabiru first see am the guy no fit help at all 'kai I don skatta my fafa motor' cry no be small koboko man chop that day. Guess what as dem fix am I still carry am comot again grin
Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by Flintstone06(m): 7:32am On Aug 14, 2017
Trained in the stadium for 2 days before driving out.. Was cool but wanting to show off to my frds made me to almost run into a jeep at a t junction. Had to stop to catch my breath and continued grin 2014
Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by Vince77(m): 7:34am On Aug 14, 2017
Drove from my street in Benin through Giwa Amu through airport road to Ihama road. Was scared on that first day but i didn't hit anyone and didn't cause slow traffic.
Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by onuwaje(m): 7:35am On Aug 14, 2017
After i registered i was expecting the guy to say "come back tomoro" he said lets go lol

We got to the car and e said
"Enter driver seat"

I say " for wetin" lol

He force me enter o lol

We entered after all d bla bla bla he said i shud start d car and start moving

When dis car jerk

See me reciting Psalms 23 lol..

During the driving process see d way d guy was turning ma hand sef eh

In my eyes i was driving well o but on ground i dn jam two keb stones

Almost send one keke napep to the other lane..

Nr be now sha. Tho d last time i drive car na last yr

1 Like

Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by KellyR: 7:44am On Aug 14, 2017
Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by okwyee(m): 7:45am On Aug 14, 2017
mine was lol.
I had been practicing with my dads car inside our street and i was already very good at it.
Sometimes later my dad wasn't at home and we needed to fetch drinking water with the car, so my dad told me to take the car, my mom was annoyed and didn't let me take it because she thought I'd have an accident if my dad wasn't by my side.
The next day, My dad told me to hop into the driver seat and take the wheels while he sat beside me, suddenly all the pressure piled up on me up to my throat, i held the wheel tightly, even though i had my seatbelt on my back wasn't resting on the seat, my my lips firmly locked. my dad kept on telling me to release myself from my bondage, but he never knew he was the one making me nervous.
Almost there, a car was in front, and had stopped moving, for me to steer away, he started moving again and stopped immediately, i kinda lost it because i couldn't understand his movement anymore and hit the car and smashed my dads pointer, we came down, going the beg the man, my dad threw the pointer at my back.
We got back to the car and i went to sit at the owners(right) seat, then my dad yelled again, Get up and drive.. that was it.
I've become better ever since!

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by Ajewealth123(m): 7:48am On Aug 14, 2017
Mtcheww I remembered taking my father's car out one morning, na my friends push me oh.after watching my father closely for months driving his auto car.
Morning/afternoon/evening. It was good though I dey Waka tortoise pace.when it was around 8pm that I was heading home, I can't believe I drove from let me use oshodi to mushin as an example. I drove for more than 2hours. As in night driving then was my greatest mistake cos it seems every car coming towards me was gonna hit me so I moved at snail pace
Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by SirMichael1: 7:51am On Aug 14, 2017
Nma27:
Nearly removed my dad's bumper while trying to make way for an oncoming okada... I forget say na okada suppose clear for motor. Driving shouldn't b a biggy for me, need for speed and GTA don teach me finish.

Lol. I see you love video games. Those games can teach you how to be a bad ass driver on PC but not in reality. You gotta pedal the breaks, enter gears, accelerate and yada yada.

I reason I still play those games is because I can devitalize police vehicles and earn a whooping 6 star grin

1 Like

Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by EagleScribes: 7:53am On Aug 14, 2017
My first driving experience was on an express road.

I was like "relax, no big deal, just maintain your lane. Afterall, you don't need to change gears as this one is auto"

And that was how I got my confidence to drive anywhere smiley

1 Like

Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by SirMichael1: 7:54am On Aug 14, 2017
Vince77:
Drove from my street in Benin through Giwa Amu through airport road to Ihama road. Was scared on that first day but i didn't hit anyone and didn't cause slow traffic.

You really tried. Taking out a car without driving lessons is kinda courageous and bad in way too. It was an automatic vehicle right?

1 Like

Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by Nobody: 7:58am On Aug 14, 2017
SirMichael1:

Lol. I see you love video games. Those games can teach you how to be a bad ass driver on PC but not in reality. You gotta pedal the breaks, enter gears, accelerate and yada yada.

I reason I still play those games is because I can devitalize police vehicles and earn a whooping 6 star grin
Its easy driving an automatic car na.
Re: Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road by dayleke: 7:58am On Aug 14, 2017
LoL

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Need A Honda Accord 2003 Model V4 & Toyota Sienna 2002 Model / Toyota Camry: Error Codes P043e, P043f, P2401, P2402, P2419 / Do Nigeria Custom Service Sell Vehicles???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.