Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,326 members, 7,780,813 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:04 PM

10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues (18585 Views)

Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? / 7 Reasons Why Every Believer Should Speak In Tongues - Kenneth E Hagin / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by Nigeriadondie: 2:25pm On Aug 13, 2017
otr1:

This is purely your own opinion, not backed by the Scripture. And who told you Lucifer, a formal Cherub who was covering the Throne of God doesn't have the ability to understand the tongue of Angels (I'm assuming your ecstatic utterance are heavenly), himself being an Angel?
The guy comment tire me. Really as u said his own opinion. Some people blindly try to defend what cannot be defended
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by Nigeriadondie: 2:28pm On Aug 13, 2017
AwesomeDuru:
Yeah well if he's God, then he has failed miserably in his duties and should be treated as thrash. Do you know how many innocent children go to sleep every night without food or shelter? What about the chaos all around the world? Your God is wicked, deal with it.
If I may ask, are u an atheist?
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by talebearer123: 2:30pm On Aug 13, 2017
otr1:

This is purely your own opinion, not backed by the Scripture. And who told you Lucifer, a formal Cherub who was covering the Throne of God doesn't have the ability to understand the tongue of Angels (I'm assuming your ecstatic utterance are heavenly), himself being an Angel?

Well I got this notion from the fact thst i know satan dont know my thoughts as a child of God untill i say it out. How do i know it I havent come across where it is written " And satan haven known what they think in there hearts" but rather " and Jesus knoeing what they think in their hearts" The heart of man belongs to God and he alone has access to it.

Now speaking in tongues is from the heart also and its not untlll I say my intention with the tongue of man that satan understands me.

Now who says Satan posseses all his angelic powers also. He was releaved of some powers when he fell same reason why every Christian is not under his control and touch anymore except we fall. Same reason he can not ascend back to the kingdom of God like any other holy angel. He lost some powers after the fall and understanding the mind of God is part of it. Speaking in tongues is speaking the mind of God to your life issues. Its a mystery satan has no more inheritance in.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 2:32pm On Aug 13, 2017
Nigeriadondie:
Exactly. So confusing
yes, that's the height to confusion.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by TheEminentLaity: 2:44pm On Aug 13, 2017
Sundays are the days where the loonies come out cheesy grin Modern Christianity really brings out the stupid in people
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by Adageorge(f): 2:53pm On Aug 13, 2017
AwesomeDuru:
Fools. Religious retards. With your spineless, cowardly Non Mighty God.
I understand u
but they didn't ask u to comment
bokoharam
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by Phony200(m): 3:02pm On Aug 13, 2017
Trash.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by uchemelvin20004: 3:11pm On Aug 13, 2017
When the disciples spoke in tongues the people heard them in their own languages,the spirit gave them that ability to enable them communicate with the people. The gibberish being spoken today in churches who understands it? If it's spiritual why do they learn how to speak it in theology schools?
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 3:12pm On Aug 13, 2017
Interesting
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by bentuzene(m): 3:23pm On Aug 13, 2017
Nigeriadondie:
undecidedTongues speaking was a gift of d holy spirit which enabled early christians back then to preach in a language(tongue) other than their own.

Before the birth of christianity, God had a covenant relationship with man but that was to change as the old Law was to be replaced with the new law enacted by d blood of Jesus and henwas no longer dealing with humans on d basis of the old law but thru d newly formed christian congregation after Christ's death and ressurection. To convince many that the congregation had His backing, he uses gifts of d spirit such as tongues- 1 Corinthians 14:22.

The gift of speaking served another purpose. During the time of Jesus there was no printing and broadcasting to relay messages to a mass audience as we ve now. Also, there was d issue of language barrier which wud hamper d spread of d gospel of God's will and purpose. To overcome these challenges, tongues speaking filled that need.

Please open ur Bible to read Acts 2:1-11 but with emphasis on verses 6-11 where you wud observe that the tongues spoken where in d real sense of it real languages that were understood by other people who spoke the language not some senseless and meaningless words spoken by ALL tongues speaking pentecostal churches. That way, people cud hear the message of God in their own native language. If u read Acts2:41 u would see that d result of tongues speaking was the 3,000 converts who would now carry witj them to whereever they went the message of goodnews or gospel fulfilling what Christ said in Acts1:8 and what Paul said in Colossians 1:23.

Again, lets examine tongue speaking in the time of early christians and the ones of our time which for me is mere rambling of meaningless words which is tantamount to noise which I recall in my High school class is an unpleasant noise.
Read 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 and 27-31 with emphasis on verse 30.
Read also 1 Corinthians 14:5-33,40 but lay emphasis on 5,11,12,13,19,26-28,31,33,40.
You would realise that when tongues are spoken then it must be interpreted. If no interpretation the tongue speaker has achieved nothing.
Also in verse 31, people cant speak in tongues simultaneously (at the same time) it would make d place rowdy/noisy/disorderly/chaotic as the gathering of barbarians. And the God true christians worship is a God or order as verse 33 shows and so christians must worship God in an orderly manner as verse 40 shows. Not the simultaneous noise making of all in the pentecostal churches we see today, people rambling making noise uttering words they nor their listeners understand and as such cannot interpret what the blabbed which is required.

Now in our time, we ve a well developed printing and broadcasting technology that has overcome the language barrier. The spread of d goodnews is no longer impeded by language barrier as the Bible is now printed in all the living languages spoken today. We even have d Braille for the blind and some bibles have sign language for d deaf. Beinh an ardent admirer of Jehovah's Witnesses the have their publications in about 800 languanges and have a mobile application called "JW LIBRARY" in about 800 languages. If u doubt me u can download it and u wud be amazed at its unique features. Even their website www.jw.org is in many languages as well so making tongues speaking obsolete.
Also , they ve many missionaries who ve taken up the challenge of leaening bew languages so they could reach people who speak that language with d gospel.

As Paul said in 1Corinthians 13:1-13, the gifts of speaking in tongues and other gifts of d holy spirit would pass away with time. This is because as d christian congregation was still in its baby or infant stage, extraordinary gifts of the spirit was needed to convince people of God's approval of the christian congregation but as time went by and it grew beyond the babe stage, the traits of babes has to be put way and as such these gifts are no longer required. They ve outlived their purpose.

Hence, we should not be arried away with all these fake pentecostal churches. Look at what d Bible says Matthew 7:21-23, 2Thessolonians 2:8-10

Was about to comment till I read your post... May God bless you for this light!

Speaking in tongues is a GIFT of the spirit not a FRUIT of the spirit. Some Christians can have it while others can not.

Yes it is for edification but just like every other gift, not everybody has it.

But the fruits of the spirit: Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Gentleness, Self-Control and Faithfulness must be present in anyone that claims to be born of the spirit because without them there is division in the Church.

I have a lot of Gifts as a Christian and yes I understand Tongues but cant easily speak them all (Which is you read Paul's text on this Gift it has the part of Speaking and Interpreting mind you) but these gifts I have are for ministry.

What really keeps me up as a Christian aren't the Gifts but the FRUITS which the Spirit Imparts at its entry into your life.

PS. Even non believers have Gifts and they use it for other things!
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by bentuzene(m): 3:30pm On Aug 13, 2017
ehimeayeni:

When you speak in tongues it's not for anybody to understand because it's not man like yourself that will answer your prayers. It's God that understands that will answer your prayers. If you want to speak so that people will understand then pray to men

What are you saying for God's sake?

Was the gift not for Edification? So that the Church could grow?

Did you read your Bible at all or do you just go to Church?

A Tongue is a language someone must Understand and please mark the MUST! 1 Corinthians 14:27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. Else 1 Corinthians 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

Sometimes modern day Christians just do things and justify it with the name of Jesus!

And we say Religion is the problem!
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by bentuzene(m): 3:32pm On Aug 13, 2017
seXytOhbAd:
THE ONLY THING THAT MAKES ME SMILE IS HOW PEOPLE SPEAK IN TONGUES ON SUNDAY AND ON MONDAY, THEY END UP SINNING. YOUR BIBLE SAYS THAT IS YOU SPEAK IN TONGUES BUT HAVE NO LOVE, YOU ARE AN EMPTY VESSEL.

In other words, we have a lot of empty vessels in our backwards, religion loving country. How sad.

Say it again please...

Christians these days put the Cart before the horse too much!

Where are your fruits
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by bentuzene(m): 3:37pm On Aug 13, 2017
Even if you were to speak in a language only God would understand, you have to understand it too... Our God is no author of Confusion mind you!
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by solepager(m): 3:40pm On Aug 13, 2017
Nigeriadondie:

Ok. Yea I choose to identify myself as one of JW although I study the Bible with them and attends their meetings regularly as well as their conventions

meeting attendance is good. Anyone is free to attend and learn about Jehovah. But what identifies one of Jehovah's witnesses is what is laid down in acts 20:20. Besides you need to take the first step by getting baptized.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by waldigit: 4:26pm On Aug 13, 2017
Nigeriadondie:
undecidedTongues speaking was a gift of d holy spirit which enabled early christians back then to preach in a language(tongue) other than their own.

Before the birth of christianity, God had a covenant relationship with man but that was to change as the old Law was to be replaced with the new law enacted by d blood of Jesus and henwas no longer dealing with humans on d basis of the old law but thru d newly formed christian congregation after Christ's death and ressurection. To convince many that the congregation had His backing, he uses gifts of d spirit such as tongues- 1 Corinthians 14:22.

The gift of speaking served another purpose. During the time of Jesus there was no printing and broadcasting to relay messages to a mass audience as we ve now. Also, there was d issue of language barrier which wud hamper d spread of d gospel of God's will and purpose. To overcome these challenges, tongues speaking filled that need.

Please open ur Bible to read Acts 2:1-11 but with emphasis on verses 6-11 where you wud observe that the tongues spoken where in d real sense of it real languages that were understood by other people who spoke the language not some senseless and meaningless words spoken by ALL tongues speaking pentecostal churches. That way, people cud hear the message of God in their own native language. If u read Acts2:41 u would see that d result of tongues speaking was the 3,000 converts who would now carry witj them to whereever they went the message of goodnews or gospel fulfilling what Christ said in Acts1:8 and what Paul said in Colossians 1:23.

Again, lets examine tongue speaking in the time of early christians and the ones of our time which for me is mere rambling of meaningless words which is tantamount to noise which I recall in my High school class is an unpleasant noise.
Read also 1 Corinthians 14:5-33,40 but lay emphasis on 5,11,12,13,19,26-28,31,33,40.
You would realise that when tongues are spoken then it must be interpreted. If no interpretation the tongue speaker has achieved nothing.
Also in verse 31, people cant speak in tongues simultaneously (at the same time) it would make d place rowdy/noisy/disorderly/chaotic as the gathering of barbarians. And the God true christians worship is a God or order as verse 33 shows and so christians must worship God in an orderly manner as verse 40 shows. Not the simultaneous noise making of all in the pentecostal churches we see today, people rambling making noise uttering words they nor their listeners understand and as such cannot interpret what the blabbed which is required.

Now in our time, we ve a well developed printing and broadcasting technology that has overcome the language barrier. The spread of d goodnews is no longer impeded by language barrier as the Bible is now printed in all the living languages spoken today. We even have d Braille for the blind and some bibles have sign language for d deaf. Beinh an ardent admirer of Jehovah's Witnesses the have their publications in about 800 languanges and have a mobile application called "JW LIBRARY" in about 800 languages. If u doubt me u can download it and u wud be amazed at its unique features. Even their website www.jw.org is in many languages as well so making tongues speaking obsolete.
Also , they ve many missionaries who ve taken up the challenge of leaening bew languages so they could reach people who speak that language with d gospel.

As Paul said in 1Corinthians 13:1-13, the gifts of speaking in tongues and other gifts of d holy spirit would pass away with time. This is because as d christian congregation was still in its baby or infant stage, extraordinary gifts of the spirit was needed to convince people of God's approval of the christian congregation but as time went by and it grew beyond the babe stage, the traits of babes has to be put way and as such these gifts are no longer required. They ve outlived their purpose.

Hence, we should not be arried away with all these fake pentecostal churches. Look at what d Bible says Matthew 7:21-23, 2Thessolonians 2:8-10

So your conclusion is that tongue speaking is no more relevant today because the whole world now speak the same language or pardon me we now have Goole translator? You are very funny.
Very soon Jesus himself will no longer be needed because we shall soon have modern Messiah (the Antichrist) and next is God because he too old fashioned and have modern guy with nice swagger( Devil) I think I know where you are coming from and where you are going.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by Maximus85(m): 4:37pm On Aug 13, 2017
Skillz92:

And this Signs shall follow them that believe ….. They shall speak in Tongues.(mark 16:17).

The issue of speaking in tongues in Christendom has for some years now been an issue of debate. Some people believe that every believer must not speak in tongues backing their statement with the fact that speaking in tongues is the only evidence or proof of the Holygost. Some other group of believers on the other hand on the other hand maintained that speaking in tongue is the Evidence of the presence of the Holygost.

In this Article, I am not going to argue whether it is a must for every believer or not, I will be giving you ten reasons why every believer should speak in tongues.

1 Tongues is the initial sign.

“And they were all filled with the Holygost and began to speak with other Tongues as the spirit gave them utterance” Acts 2:4

The word of God clearly explained that the Disciples of Christ spoke in tongues immediately the holygost came on them while they were praying in Jerusalem.

2 Tongues for spiritual Edification

“He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifies himself” 1 cor 14:4

The term edification means building up, especially in a moral , emotional or spiritual sense. So when we speak in tongues we build up our selves spiritually. Paul explained that a man speaking in other tongues speaks not unto men but unto God.

“For one who speaks in an unknown tongue speaks not to men but to God, for no one understands because in the holygost he utters secret truths and hidden things not obvious to the understanding.” 1 cor 14:2

Anybody who speaks in tongues charges himself before God. ie he builds ups and strengthens himself.

3 Tongues remind us of the spirit’s indwelling presence

“And I will ask the father and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you. He is the holy spirit who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive him because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him, but you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you”. John 14:15-16

Notice that jesus said that he lives with you now and later will be in you and after the death of jesus the holygost. It means that the Holy Spirit then dwelled in them. We all know what happened when the holygost filled the disciples in Jerusalem. Speaking in tongues reminds us of the spirit’s indwelling presence.

4 praying in tongues is praying in line with God’s perfect Will.

“Likewise the spirit also helpeth our infirmities; for we know not what we should pray for as we ought, but the spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which words cannot be uttered.

And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.” Romans 8:26-27 kjv

The bible made it clear here that the holygost maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God. So praying in tongues helps us pray in line with the will of God.

5 praying in tongues stimulates faith.

“but you dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holyspirit” jude 20

If the holy spirit gives us the utterance when we speak in tongues, when we say a word, we don’t know what the next word will be, so we need to Trust God to bring it and that is faith. Praying in tongues helps us to strengthen our faith in God.

6 speaking in tongues is a means of keeping free from worldly contamination.

“If anyone speaks in a tongue , two or at most three should speak, one at a time, and someone should interpret. If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God.” I cor 14:27-28

Paul said when you speak in tongues in the church and there is no interpreter then you should speak to yourself. Therefore we can speak to ourselves in tongues and it won’t disturb anybody. This helps us to keep free from worldly contamination. For example, when you are in the midst of people who are discussing things which can contaminate our spirit and you don’t want to be part of it, speak to yourself in tongues by that it helps you to stay free from the conversation.

7 praying in tongues enable us to pray for the unknown

The Holy Spirit who knows everything can pray through for things which our natural mind knows nothing about. The spirit intercedes for us for we know not what to pray for as we ought. (Romans 8: 26).

Praying in the spirit provides a way for things to be prayed for that we wouldn’t know anything about in the natural.

8 praying in tongues gives spiritual refreshing.

“With foreign lips and strange tongues, God will speak to this people, to whom he said, this is the resting place, let the weary rest” Isaiah 28:11-12.

The scripture above speaks of rest and refreshing which is in the talking in other tongues. These things are vital for our spirits and we can take it every day.

9 Tongues for giving thanks.

Praying in tongues provides the most perfect way to pray way to pray and give thanks, for the bible said that when we pray in tongues that we give thanks very well. (1 cor 14:15-17)

10 speaking in tongues brings the tongue under subjection.

Yielding the tongue to the Holy Spirit to speak with other tongues is a giant step towards fully yielding all of our members to God. For if we can yield this most unruly member, we can yield any member.

SOURCE : http://praisebars.com/10-reasons-why-every-believer-must-speak-in-tongues/

LOL, which tongues pls. Are you talking about speaking in real different languages that people can understand like those in the Pentecost 33CE or that gibberish you guys say today?
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by waldigit: 4:41pm On Aug 13, 2017
Skillz92:

And this Signs shall follow them that believe ….. They shall speak in Tongues.(mark 16:17).

The issue of speaking in tongues in Christendom has for some years now been an issue of debate. Some people believe that every believer must not speak in tongues backing their statement with the fact that speaking in tongues is the only evidence or proof of the Holygost. Some other group of believers on the other hand on the other hand maintained that speaking in tongue is the Evidence of the presence of the Holygost.

In this Article, I am not going to argue whether it is a must for every believer or not, I will be giving you ten reasons why every believer should speak in tongues.

1 Tongues is the initial sign.

“And they were all filled with the Holygost and began to speak with other Tongues as the spirit gave them utterance” Acts 2:4

The word of God clearly explained that the Disciples of Christ spoke in tongues immediately the holygost came on them while they were praying in Jerusalem.

2 Tongues for spiritual Edification

“He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifies himself” 1 cor 14:4

The term edification means building up, especially in a moral , emotional or spiritual sense. So when we speak in tongues we build up our selves spiritually. Paul explained that a man speaking in other tongues speaks not unto men but unto God.

“For one who speaks in an unknown tongue speaks not to men but to God, for no one understands because in the holygost he utters secret truths and hidden things not obvious to the understanding.” 1 cor 14:2

Anybody who speaks in tongues charges himself before God. ie he builds ups and strengthens himself.

3 Tongues remind us of the spirit’s indwelling presence

“And I will ask the father and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you. He is the holy spirit who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive him because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him, but you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you”. John 14:15-16

Notice that jesus said that he lives with you now and later will be in you and after the death of jesus the holygost. It means that the Holy Spirit then dwelled in them. We all know what happened when the holygost filled the disciples in Jerusalem. Speaking in tongues reminds us of the spirit’s indwelling presence.

4 praying in tongues is praying in line with God’s perfect Will.

“Likewise the spirit also helpeth our infirmities; for we know not what we should pray for as we ought, but the spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which words cannot be uttered.

And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.” Romans 8:26-27 kjv

The bible made it clear here that the holygost maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God. So praying in tongues helps us pray in line with the will of God.

5 praying in tongues stimulates faith.

“but you dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holyspirit” jude 20

If the holy spirit gives us the utterance when we speak in tongues, when we say a word, we don’t know what the next word will be, so we need to Trust God to bring it and that is faith. Praying in tongues helps us to strengthen our faith in God.

6 speaking in tongues is a means of keeping free from worldly contamination.

“If anyone speaks in a tongue , two or at most three should speak, one at a time, and someone should interpret. If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God.” I cor 14:27-28

Paul said when you speak in tongues in the church and there is no interpreter then you should speak to yourself. Therefore we can speak to ourselves in tongues and it won’t disturb anybody. This helps us to keep free from worldly contamination. For example, when you are in the midst of people who are discussing things which can contaminate our spirit and you don’t want to be part of it, speak to yourself in tongues by that it helps you to stay free from the conversation.

7 praying in tongues enable us to pray for the unknown

The Holy Spirit who knows everything can pray through for things which our natural mind knows nothing about. The spirit intercedes for us for we know not what to pray for as we ought. (Romans 8: 26).

Praying in the spirit provides a way for things to be prayed for that we wouldn’t know anything about in the natural.

8 praying in tongues gives spiritual refreshing.

“With foreign lips and strange tongues, God will speak to this people, to whom he said, this is the resting place, let the weary rest” Isaiah 28:11-12.

The scripture above speaks of rest and refreshing which is in the talking in other tongues. These things are vital for our spirits and we can take it every day.

9 Tongues for giving thanks.

Praying in tongues provides the most perfect way to pray way to pray and give thanks, for the bible said that when we pray in tongues that we give thanks very well. (1 cor 14:15-17)

10 speaking in tongues brings the tongue under subjection.

Yielding the tongue to the Holy Spirit to speak with other tongues is a giant step towards fully yielding all of our members to God. For if we can yield this most unruly member, we can yield any member.

SOURCE : http://praisebars.com/10-reasons-why-every-believer-must-speak-in-tongues/

As a believer, you a warrior for life. You engage in a spiritual warfare especially when you pray. The success of every battle depends on good intelligence encryption system. Holy Spirit coordinates this communications coding and decoding to beat enemy.
During the time of Daniel the demons in charge of his province stopped his answer because they have access to his intelligence. That is the edge we have today with Holy Spirit with us.
Many today don't know knowledge of God have been prophesied that will be widespread and can no longer be caged in any theological cult or college. This why they oppose teaching such speaking in diverse of tongues.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by waldigit: 5:05pm On Aug 13, 2017
The facts with many who profess christian faith today is that you want to put cart before the horse.
You want to understand the scripture by not following the process. The Lord himself got baptised with immersion when He was mature, but you want to yours at infant. Then He got baptised with Holy Ghost you want to skip the step. He went on to receive power by fasting and praying you again skipped the stage because we now have Google. The Lord identified his ministry and fulfilled it, you say your local assembly that you erroneously refer to as "the Church" has doctrine that you must follow.
The Lord Himself when reading the scripture in the public said the spirit of the Lord is upon me, but you say I got it from religious websites.
You want to understand the scriptures without evidence of baptism of Holy Spirit.
Cart before horse, it doesn't work that way.Shalom
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by uvalued(m): 6:20pm On Aug 13, 2017
otr1:

Stop confusing yourself. Tongues as used in the Bible means languages, not gibberish you utter.
What did God say to Israel in Deuteronomy 28:49? ...'The LORD shall bring a nation against thee from far, from the end of the earth, as swift as the eagle flieth; a nation whose TONGUE thou shalt not understand.'...
Now we know that "tongues" in the Old Testament meant language. So God was basically saying that He would bring a nation against them whose LANGUAGE they would not understand. This also applies to
And look at what Paul said on in this chapter:
1 Corinthians 14:18 .....'I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all.'
We know that Paul could speak in a number of different languages of the earth. He wasn't speaking in ecstatic tongues like many Christians do today, but simply different languages of the earth.
So the argument of drunkeness does not hold water. Our God is not a God of confusion.
He gave the disciples the gifts to speak in different languages for the sake of the gospel.
Now, what purpose does uttering unintelligle sounds serves for the glorification of God if unbelievers think you are mad? None.

no need for confusion my friend...on the deutoronomy stuff.. what was the end result..was it for edification or what? but praying/speaking in tongues edifies and builds me up spiritually. furthermore how can merely speaking a language edify and build me up? It must be something beyond mere language.

infact check the greek word for "new tongues" which Christ said in mk 16.

marvellous, before vs 18, in v2 paul said that what he spoke more than them all cannot be understood by NO BODY but God because paul was speaking mysteries.

granted one can speak in tongues to preach the gospel but speaking in tongues one can edify and build one self spiritually.

now remember somethings of God are intelligently known but there things which are unintelligent to the human mind and speaking in tongues is one of such.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by uvalued(m): 6:25pm On Aug 13, 2017
bentuzene:

What are you saying for God's sake?

Was the gift not for Edification? So that the Church could grow?

Did you read your Bible at all or do you just go to Church?

A Tongue is a language someone must Understand and please mark the MUST! 1 Corinthians 14:27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. Else 1 Corinthians 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

Sometimes modern day Christians just do things and justify it with the name of Jesus!

And we say Religion is the problem!

in congregation yes if there is no interpretation he should be silent but in my privacy i can speak in tongue to my satisfaction like 1 to 2 hrs

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by jaszplus12(m): 6:56pm On Aug 13, 2017
ehimeayeni:

When you speak in tongues it's not for anybody to understand because it's not man like yourself that will answer your prayers. It's God that understands that will answer your prayers. If you want to speak so that people will understand then pray to men
pls kindly read the bible in acts 2 you will find that this tongues mean other languages of men. nowhere in the bible does anyone speak in any tongue that's called "heavenly " and that's not a human dialect. pls do your research objectively. thanks.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by Gabbyelep: 6:58pm On Aug 13, 2017
Nigeriadondie:

Well, I will accept your analysis of the importance of tongues in the early church towards reaching the unreached who were alienated because of language barrier. That is an awesome explanation. But looking at your comment to support the fact tongue is obsolete, I instead prefer to differ. Speaking in tongues has no dispensation. It all started at the tower of Babel through the days of Christ and to this day. Whereas God gave tongues at Babel to disunite an ill intended united people, God is rather giving us tongues in the present to unite a disunited generation as seen by the testimony of the number of folks who were united with the apostles in the day of Pentecost. That hasn't change and is still a mercenary for uniting a divided world today until the world is united in one purpose at the last day. What I mean is that, until heaven and earth passes away, tongues will never be obsolete. When you talk about the Bible being written in many languages of the world, I want to say that the world has over 3000 languages and 800 languages covered by the JW as mentioned in your explanation is no way half the number of languages in the world. Just ask yourself, how many languages are in your state and how many of them has Bible in their local languages. As an Orthodox Christian who has received and being led by the spirit, I disagree with you on the note that tongues are obsolete. NO NO NO
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by SOFTENGR: 7:05pm On Aug 13, 2017
otr1:
The issue of speaking in tongues as described in the Bible is the ability to communicate in different languages, and not gibberishes we hear in Churches today. How else do you think the Apostles were able to spread the gospel to places where the people speak different languages if not the gifts they received at Pentecost?
That's the point! I understand this also when I read Acts Chapter 2.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by idom101: 8:11pm On Aug 13, 2017
AwesomeDuru:
Fools. Religious retards. With your spineless, cowardly Non Mighty God.

Foooooool
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by totorimi: 8:58pm On Aug 13, 2017
We must distinguish between speaking in tongues and the cacophony of noises we hear every day in the name of praying. I believe one can hear God in the quietness of their heart and not in the discordant sounds everywhere. Even our Lord when HE prayed HE separated Himself from the crowd and went to quiet place.

Even the apostles speaking in tongue was a thing that was recorded that happened once on the day of Pentecost but our people I dont get it. They even speak in tongues in their music.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by Investnow2017: 9:29pm On Aug 13, 2017
waldigit:

So your conclusion is that rogue speaking is no more relevant today because the whole world now speak the same language or pardon me we now have Goole translator? You are very funny.
Very soon Jesus himself will no longer be needed because we shall soon have modern Messiah (the Antichrist) and next is God because he too old fashioned and have modern guy with nice swagger( Devil) I think I know where you are coming from and where you are going.

Its a pity you did not understand him because you closed up your mind. He made the irrefutable point.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by sunkieisland(m): 9:44pm On Aug 13, 2017
a lot of the comments I have read so far shows that most commentators here are "nepios"

If you don't have a spirit-inspired opinion, its better to keep quiet and avoid blasphemy.

I read someone confusing Speaking in Tongues and Praying in Tongues.

when you pray in Tongues, the bible records that your understanding is unfruitful. but I see lots of people casting aspersions on BLW members over tongues.

God forgive you

and those blaspheming Him, ............

I pray you see the light one day.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by oluphilip2008(f): 10:01pm On Aug 13, 2017
[quote author=Nigeriadondie post=59421045] undecidedTongues speaking was a gift of d holy spirit which enabled early christians back then to preach in a language(tongue) other than their own.

God bless you for this. It is so very insightful. For the first time, I am being cleared of my confusion
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 10:05pm On Aug 13, 2017
NeeKlaus:

The first people that spoke in tongues, were they praying to God or they were trying to preach to MEN and MEN understood them??

Go and read your Bible the correct way and stop glorifying nonsense. You will be surprised that even God does not understand the gibberish that you people spit out in the name of speaking

I am a Catholic and I can tell you that we don't agree with you people's method of speaking in tongues. undecided

If great men of God if this present times stil speak in tongues after they have done all the research and you stil do not speak in tongues then I must say you are very wrong. If people stil speak in tongues and stil receive answers to their prayers (personal experience) then my dear I am shocked at your comment. If Paul said I speak in tongues more than all of you and you call it nonsense, my friend I am really sorry

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by otr1(m): 10:08pm On Aug 13, 2017
talebearer123:

Well I got this notion from the fact thst i know satan dont know my thoughts as a child of God untill i say it out. How do i know it I havent come across where it is written " And satan haven known what they think in there hearts" but rather " and Jesus knoeing what they think in their hearts" The heart of man belongs to God and he alone has access to it.

Now speaking in tongues is from the heart also and its not untlll I say my intention with the tongue of man that satan understands me.

Now who says Satan posseses all his angelic powers also. He was releaved of some powers when he fell same reason why every Christian is not under his control and touch anymore except we fall. Same reason he can not ascend back to the kingdom of God like any other holy angel. He lost some powers after the fall and understanding the mind of God is part of it. Speaking in tongues is speaking the mind of God to your life issues. Its a mystery satan has no more inheritance in.
The only power satan lost is his place beside the throne of God. He still communicates with the Most High (the book of Job is a hint). Now I wonder if he now speaks yoruba to God. Lol. See bros, even the Bible tells us we are up against powers and principalities (Ephesians 6:12). And the armor of God (verses 13-17) is our protection.
Read Daniel 10 and you will understand that the devil do not need to listen to your prayers to delay the answer.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by NeeKlaus: 10:14pm On Aug 13, 2017
ehimeayeni:

If great men of God if this present times stil speak in tongues after they have done all the research and you stil do not speak in tongues then I must say you are very wrong. If people stil speak in tongues and stil receive answers to their prayers (personal experience) then my dear I am shocked at your comment. If Paul said I speak in tongues more than all of you and you call it nonsense, my friend I am really sorry
So, you follow the crowd just because you feel THEY are right? You accept whatever your ministers tell you just because you believe they have the moral standing to do so??

They are your Men of God. I am a Catholic and my Pope has never spoken in tongues in a public gathering so what are you saying?

Face it! You people can't give a valid reason for your method of speaking in tongues. Most of you do it just because others are doing it and you fear castigation from your Brethren.

Well, all men to their faith. Believe in what you hold on to and let me believe mine.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 10:32pm On Aug 13, 2017
NeeKlaus:

So, you follow the crowd just because you feel THEY are right? You accept whatever your ministers tell you just because you believe they have the moral standing to do so??

They are your Men of God. I am a Catholic and my Pope has never spoken in tongues in a public gathering so what are you saying?

Face it! You people can't give a valid reason for your method of speaking in tongues. Most of you do it just because others are doing it and you fear castigation from your Brethren.

Well, all men to their faith. Believe in what you hold on to and let me believe mine.

Like I said I have prayed in tongues and I have received answers. I will not want to go into what happens in the Catholic Church because I was a catholic before. I am baptized and confirmed catholic but I left for personal reasons. I don't practice my Christianity because of fear of anybody. I am doing it for my personal salvation. If you say the pope has not spoken in tongues, God will not punish him. God will not punish anybody for speaking in tongues. Like I said again I have received answers for my praying in tongues and not because I am afraid of anyone

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Meet MCGodwinFavour Who Started Singing At 10, Tours The Globe With His Talent / Free Sex Japan!!! / Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 169
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.