Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,558 members, 7,809,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:28 PM

10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues (18685 Views)

Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? / 7 Reasons Why Every Believer Should Speak In Tongues - Kenneth E Hagin / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by uvalued(m): 7:02pm On Aug 17, 2017
otr1:

In a journal article for the American Scientific Affiliation (an association of Christian scientists), Dr. Pattison summarizes the publications of numerous historians on this topic by saying
“Glossolalia had been practiced for many years along with other ecstatic phenomena by the prophets of the ancient religions of the Near East. Prophets and mystics of Assyria, Egypt, and Greece reportedly spoke in foreign tongues during states of ecstasy and uttered unintelligible phrases said to be revelations from the gods…The practice was known in ancient India and China, and ethnographies describe glossolalia in almost every area of the world”
He made the following conclusions:
“Glossolalia is practiced among non-Christian religions: the Peyote cult among the North American Indians, the Haida Indians of the Pacific Northwest, Shamans in the Sudan, the Shango cult of the West Coast of Africa(I can relate with this), the Shago cult in Trinidad, the Voodoo cult in Haiti, the Aborigines of South America and Australia, the Eskimos of the subarctic regions of North America and Asia, the Shamans in Greenland, the Dyaks of Borneo, the Zor cult of Ethiopia, the Siberian shamans, the Chaco Indians of South America, the Curanderos of the Andes, the Kinka in the African Sudan, the Thonga shamans of Africa, and the Tibetan monks”
There you have it.

Jesus warned: “And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition( battalogeó/ battalogēsēte) as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words.” ( Mat 6:7)
The Greek word that was translated into “meaningless repetition” is translated by Strong’s Concordance and HELPS Word Study as “to blubber nonsensical repetitions; to chatter, using empty (vain) words.” and “to repeat the same things over and over, to use many idle words, to babble, prate.”
There are two logical understandings of this statement by Jesus, either battalogeo refers to the length of prayer in a known language, or else babbling and repeating glossolalic sounds.
If its literally referring to “nonsensical repetitions” this would mean Jesus specifically argued against the glossolalia of the pagans.
That appears to be one of the only two possible interpretations, and is the case Dr. MacArthur posits in his book Charismatic Chaos.
Pentecostals usually argue that battalogeo actually refers to repetitions of known words (such a praying by repeating the word “please” many times in a row).
Firstly, we must note that Bible scholars have a general agreement for the translation of battalogeo as ecstatic speech, rather than known human language.
“There is general agreement that the idea of babbling or stammering is meant in Matthew 6:7. We may conclude that Jesus spoke against prayer which consisted of unintelligible speech or babbling, similar to the pagan prayers.”
If this is the case, then Jesus clearly taught against glossolalia. How could it be that Jesus taught against glossolalia, then later gave it as a gift? It makes no sense!
Yet, for the sake of arguments, lets give this point of interpretation to the Pentecostals, and say battalogeo doesn’t specifically refer to glossolalia by name. Then we still have a great deal of unresolved tension. The whole point of Mat 6:7 is that prayers should not be long and repetitive, but very clear and intentional ( Mat 6:8-13). Are not glossolalic prayers exactly the opposite? They last for prolonged periods of time and they include hundreds of repetitions of the same phrases. They are exactly the opposite of the Lord’s prayer that is explicitly taught in the Bible! Christ teaches a short prayer without any repetitions, Glossolalia is a long-winded prayer with hundreds of repetitions; Christ teaches known and intentional words ( Mat 6:9-13), while Glossolalia includes absolutely no known words in the speaker. Why would Jesus teach a standard of prayer that is exactly the opposite of glossolalia and never mention glossolalia?

wow interesting piece my dear but you failed to acknowledge the original authorwhich is plagerism.

secomdly your points sounds valid but on closer scrutiny it fails to rubbish the glory and blessedness of speaking in tongues....*speaks in tongues*
permit me to quote one or two of the well answered given by stevenson and i will post the answer as a topic on nairaland enjoy.

.2. Why did glossolalia exist before the birth of Christianity?

One could more easily ask why death-and-resurrection stories exist in paganism
(Mithras and Baal) before Christianity, or the concept of having Sacred
Scriptures, or healing, or baptism. Is there any aspect of Christianity that did not exist before the birth of Christianity? This argument reminds me of unbelievers who think that the Epic of Gilgamesh somehow disproves the biblical story of Noah’s Flood, or that overlapping concepts between Christianity and Zoroastrianism undermine the legitimacy of the gospel, or that the overlaps of the Christian morality in the Epistles with that of the Stoics somehow negates the divine inspiration of the Epistles. Every type of miracle recorded in the New
Testament is also present in pre-Christian Judaism or pagan religions. I would expect that to be the case whether Christianity were true or false. Ideals of brotherly love, self-sacrifice, grace, forgiveness, and other favorite doctrines of self-congratulatory modernist Christians are all visible in various pre-Christian religious sources, albeit not all put together in the same overall package as Christianity. If Christianity is true and tongues is valid, then it is unsurprising to find both counterfeits and genuine divine manifestations of the gift before the
manifestation in the early church.

3. Why did Jesus forbid prayer with babbling/long repetitions if he was going to give it as a special gift?

Again, this seems to be an argument for rejecting parts of Acts and 1 Corinthians rather than modern phenomenon that claim to be biblical glossolalia. This is hardly the only instance in which two superficially contradictory passage of Scripture need to be reconciled by believers today. Jesus elsewhere tells us to keep praying and not give up – so one must reconcile the anti-repetition passage with Jesus’ own injunction to reiterate (regularly) our prayers that are yet unanswered.

The real contradiction seems to be between what Jesus says here and the traditions that have developed in some Pentecostal denominations for speaking in tongues at length. One could take Jesus’ warning as a caution that praying in tongues should be brief rather than prolonged, an idea that most Pentecostals have never considered. In the context, though, Jesus is actually focused not merely on the repetitiousness of the prayer or the babbling aspect, but on the fact that the pagans believe that repetition makes divine response more likely. Perhaps some misguided Pentecostals think that praying in tongues for an hour makes some desired more likely to happen than if they had prayed only thirty minutes, but that would seem to be the type of foolishness Jesus is attacking here. His recommended alternative is not “Always pray in your native language” but rather to pray in faith and simplicity.

sroll down to DStevenson
http://yuriystasyuk.com/ten-hard-questions-about-speaking-in-tongues-glossolalia-and-xenoglossy/
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 10:44pm On Aug 17, 2017
There’s an even more sinister aspect to the calamity of ‘speaking in tongues’ that has befallen the charismatic churches. Many modern day pastors, Daddy G.O’s, Shepherds and what have you are closet occult practitioners, a number of imprecatory invocations are now being openly intoned by some of these people under the guise of speaking in tongues whilst their congregations are busy babbling. In effect they are calling down specific spiritual entities, often in 'Enochian' or 'Theban' (don't bother to ask how I know) if you are ever in a church where the pastor begins his speaking in tongues with the tones 'ra..ba..ba..ra….' one should run! not walk out of that church, they are the opening bars for the invocation of one of the most potent spiritual entities known to man calling for the subjugation of all to HIM.

The above is just One invocation, on average they will complete two or three. It is no accident that congregants empty not just their pockets but more at these places.

Back in the day, (I never closed my eyes in a church ever) I have observed pastors pull out folded sheets from their pockets in order to complete these incantations. People should be careful.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by Chauke(m): 2:22am On Aug 18, 2017
uvalued:

wow interesting piece my dear but you failed to acknowledge the original authorwhich is plagerism.

secomdly your points sounds valid but on closer scrutiny it fails to rubbish the glory and blessedness of speaking in tongues....*speaks in tongues*
permit me to quote one or two of the well answered given by stevenson and i will post the answer as a topic on nairaland enjoy.

sroll down to DStevenson
http://yuriystasyuk.com/ten-hard-questions-about-speaking-in-tongues-glossolalia-and-xenoglossy/

The solution is simple leave South Africa as you are not wanted.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by toragema(f): 8:53am On Aug 18, 2017
Skillz92:

And this Signs shall follow them that believe ….. They shall speak in Tongues.(mark 16:17).

The issue of speaking in tongues in Christendom has for some years now been an issue of debate. Some people believe that every believer must not speak in tongues backing their statement with the fact that speaking in tongues is the only evidence or proof of the Holygost. Some other group of believers on the other hand on the other hand maintained that speaking in tongue is the Evidence of the presence of the Holygost.

In this Article, I am not going to argue whether it is a must for every believer or not, I will be giving you ten reasons why every believer should speak in tongues.

1 Tongues is the initial sign.

“And they were all filled with the Holygost and began to speak with other Tongues as the spirit gave them utterance” Acts 2:4

The word of God clearly explained that the Disciples of Christ spoke in tongues immediately the holygost came on them while they were praying in Jerusalem.

2 Tongues for spiritual Edification

“He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifies himself” 1 cor 14:4

The term edification means building up, especially in a moral , emotional or spiritual sense. So when we speak in tongues we build up our selves spiritually. Paul explained that a man speaking in other tongues speaks not unto men but unto God.

“For one who speaks in an unknown tongue speaks not to men but to God, for no one understands because in the holygost he utters secret truths and hidden things not obvious to the understanding.” 1 cor 14:2

Anybody who speaks in tongues charges himself before God. ie he builds ups and strengthens himself.

3 Tongues remind us of the spirit’s indwelling presence

“And I will ask the father and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you. He is the holy spirit who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive him because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him, but you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you”. John 14:15-16

Notice that jesus said that he lives with you now and later will be in you and after the death of jesus the holygost. It means that the Holy Spirit then dwelled in them. We all know what happened when the holygost filled the disciples in Jerusalem. Speaking in tongues reminds us of the spirit’s indwelling presence.

4 praying in tongues is praying in line with God’s perfect Will.

“Likewise the spirit also helpeth our infirmities; for we know not what we should pray for as we ought, but the spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which words cannot be uttered.

And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.” Romans 8:26-27 kjv

The bible made it clear here that the holygost maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God. So praying in tongues helps us pray in line with the will of God.

5 praying in tongues stimulates faith.

“but you dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holyspirit” jude 20

If the holy spirit gives us the utterance when we speak in tongues, when we say a word, we don’t know what the next word will be, so we need to Trust God to bring it and that is faith. Praying in tongues helps us to strengthen our faith in God.

6 speaking in tongues is a means of keeping free from worldly contamination.

“If anyone speaks in a tongue , two or at most three should speak, one at a time, and someone should interpret. If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God.” I cor 14:27-28

Paul said when you speak in tongues in the church and there is no interpreter then you should speak to yourself. Therefore we can speak to ourselves in tongues and it won’t disturb anybody. This helps us to keep free from worldly contamination. For example, when you are in the midst of people who are discussing things which can contaminate our spirit and you don’t want to be part of it, speak to yourself in tongues by that it helps you to stay free from the conversation.

7 praying in tongues enable us to pray for the unknown

The Holy Spirit who knows everything can pray through for things which our natural mind knows nothing about. The spirit intercedes for us for we know not what to pray for as we ought. (Romans 8: 26).

Praying in the spirit provides a way for things to be prayed for that we wouldn’t know anything about in the natural.

8 praying in tongues gives spiritual refreshing.

“With foreign lips and strange tongues, God will speak to this people, to whom he said, this is the resting place, let the weary rest” Isaiah 28:11-12.

The scripture above speaks of rest and refreshing which is in the talking in other tongues. These things are vital for our spirits and we can take it every day.

9 Tongues for giving thanks.

Praying in tongues provides the most perfect way to pray way to pray and give thanks, for the bible said that when we pray in tongues that we give thanks very well. (1 cor 14:15-17)

10 speaking in tongues brings the tongue under subjection.

Yielding the tongue to the Holy Spirit to speak with other tongues is a giant step towards fully yielding all of our members to God. For if we can yield this most unruly member, we can yield any member.

SOURCE : http://praisebars.com/10-reasons-why-every-believer-must-speak-in-tongues/

John6:63The spirit is life,the flesh profiteth not.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by otr1(m): 1:50pm On Aug 18, 2017
uvalued:

sroll down to DStevenson
If there is anything that has never happened before, ever in the history of mankind, it is the event that took place at that upper room at pentecost which is recorded in the book of Acts 2. Believers spoke in intelligent human languages they never knew or understand before.
Here we are talking about speaking new languages as a gift, not some other miracles.
The purpose of this gift is for unbelievers, not believers. Raising the dead, healing the sick, baptism... Jesus performed miracles and that didn't make many people believe in him. Some even said he is possessed of evil spirit.
But some 3000 or more unbelievers were converted by that single event of pentecost. Your version of tongues -which pagans are familiar with and even manifested for hundreds of years before AD 31- can't achieve that. You have to live with the fact that your glossolalia was not what took place at pentecost and at any other of such. It's clear and simple..."and the Scripture can never broken".
On miracles being performed in other religions, well, as we know, satan can also perform signs and wonders. Such a big class of people today are swayed by 'feelings' and miracles. They base their faith on 'signs and wonders', rather than on a 'thus saith the Lord'. Jesus said Himself that 'a wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign' (Matthew 16:4). This is because our faith is to be founded first and foremost upon the Word of God, not experience of any sort. So if the bible teaches that the Apostle were given the gift of speaking in intelligible human languages at pentecost and you ignore that on the ground of the experience of blabbing gibberish- a practice prevalent in paganism- you are on your own.
Satan is capable of giving you your glossolalia experience, if you seek it (of course, he is the author of such confusion).
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 6:42pm On Aug 18, 2017
Sarassin:
There’s an even more sinister aspect to the calamity of ‘speaking in tongues’ that has befallen the charismatic churches. Many modern day pastors, Daddy G.O’s, Shepherds and what have you are closet occult practitioners, a number of imprecatory invocations are now being openly intoned by some of these people under the guise of speaking in tongues whilst their congregations are busy babbling. In effect they are calling down specific spiritual entities, often in 'Enochian' or 'Theban' (don't bother to ask how I know) if you are ever in a church where the pastor begins his speaking in tongues with the tones 'ra..ba..ba..ra….' one should run! not walk out of that church, they are the opening bars for the invocation of one of the most potent spiritual entities known to man calling for the subjugation of all to HIM.

The above is just One invocation, on average they will complete two or three. It is no accident that congregants empty not just their pockets but more at these places.

Back in the day, (I never closed my eyes in a church ever) I have observed pastors pull out folded sheets from their pockets in order to complete these incantations. People should be careful.
you just nailed it, my dearest, YOU NAILED IT!

I saw a very popular nigerian prophet (let me avoid to give the name now) on youtube, using a powerful invocation to begin his magic acts, while hiding it as "speaking in tongues". I was AMAZED. This is a very renown nigerian prophet, with tens of thousand followers. and the video is still right there on youtube!
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by uvalued(m): 7:39pm On Aug 18, 2017
otr1:

If there is anything that has never happened before, ever in the history of mankind, it is the event that took place at that upper room at pentecost which is recorded in the book of Acts 2. Believers spoke in intelligent human languages they never knew or understand before.
Here we are talking about speaking new languages as a gift, not some other miracles.
The purpose of this gift is for unbelievers, not believers. Raising the dead, healing the sick, baptism... Jesus performed miracles and that didn't make many people believe in him. Some even said he is possessed of evil spirit.
But some 3000 or more unbelievers were converted by that single event of pentecost. Your version of tongues -which pagans are familiar with and even manifested for hundreds of years before AD 31- can't achieve that. You have to live with the fact that your glossolalia was not what took place at pentecost and at any other of such. It's clear and simple..."and the Scripture can never broken".
On miracles being performed in other religions, well, as we know, satan can also perform signs and wonders. Such a big class of people today are swayed by 'feelings' and miracles. They base their faith on 'signs and wonders', rather than on a 'thus saith the Lord'. Jesus said Himself that 'a wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign' (Matthew 16:4). This is because our faith is to be founded first and foremost upon the Word of God, not experience of any sort. So if the bible teaches that the Apostle were given the gift of speaking in intelligible human languages at pentecost and you ignore that on the ground of the experience of blabbing gibberish- a practice prevalent in paganism- you are on your own.
Satan is capable of giving you your glossolalia experience, if you seek it (of course, he is the author of such confusion).

first of all, i want you to understand that as much as you want acts 2 to reflect intelligent language you refuse to see this

Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

the hearers heard "them disciples" at once in EACH of their tongues speaking the wonderful works of God.. not that peter spoke in arab, john in medes, james in mesopathiam etc rather as they spoke in tongues at the same time the Holy Spirit brought forth interpretation to the hearers. And to further show that some heard gibberish which is why some said

13  Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.

so we have it a form of experiment speaking in tongues some heard by God's interpretation while some heard gibberish. deny all you want its as clear as water except you areprejudiced.

right up there you have sided with the pharisee who said Christ healed by the devil as you have insinuated that our speaking in tongue is not of Holy Spirit but of demons...i pray this is not held against you.

on miracles signs and wonders, am wondering when the Lord says thus saith the Lord, didnt He saith the things He did -miracles signs and wonders- we that believe shall do and GREATER than what He did shall we do because Christ has gone to the Father and when people are seeking you for the sigbs and wonders, you come up with unbelief and say they are an adulterous generation.

okay call my speaking in tongues blabber or gibberish, so were this that heard the apostles in acts 2

13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.

am glad am in the company of the apostles... keep mocking us...hahaha glory fall on us.

wow okay can you show from this verses how many souls were saved after the following

44  While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

45  And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

46  For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God

i think cornelius speaking in tongues was false since no sol was saved like during the acts 2 episode . abi
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by otr1(m): 11:06pm On Aug 18, 2017
uvalued:

first of all, i want you to understand that as much as you want acts 2 to reflect intelligent language you refuse to see this

the hearers heard "them disciples" at once in EACH of their tongues speaking the wonderful works of God.. not that peter spoke in arab, john in medes, james in mesopathiam etc rather as they spoke in tongues at the same time the Holy Spirit brought forth interpretation to the hearers. And to further show that some heard gibberish which is why some said

so we have it a form of experiment speaking in tongues some heard by God's interpretation while some heard gibberish. deny all you want its as clear as water except you areprejudiced.

right up there you have sided with the pharisee who said Christ healed by the devil as you have insinuated that our speaking in tongue is not of Holy Spirit but of demons...i pray this is not held against you.

on miracles signs and wonders, am wondering when the Lord says thus saith the Lord, didnt He saith the things He did -miracles signs and wonders- we that believe shall do and GREATER than what He did shall we do because Christ has gone to the Father and when people are seeking you for the sigbs and wonders, you come up with unbelief and say they are an adulterous generation.
Take your bible, read Matthew 16:1-4, may be you'll understand what I'm saying. The pharisees and the sadducees wanted Jesus to show them a sign and he clearly told them "a wicked and adulterous generation seeks after a sign". Not my own words. Faith comes by hearing; and hearing by the Word of God, not by signs and wonders.
Bottomline, if pagan religion are performing signs and wonders through the deciet of satan, uttering unintelligible sounds, just like many christians do today, the only thing that satan can not fabricate is the miracle that took place at pentecost. Anyone, I repeat, anyone that base his faith on signs and wonders in this end time will fall prey to the deceit of the devil, because that will be his major tool to deceive, if possible, the very elect of God. If you read your bible, you will know better.

The greater works that Jesus mentioned, point to the power of the gospel to transform lives as it spread through the apostolic witness. Through Peter’s preaching on the Day of Pentecost, 3,000 were added to the fold, probably more than Jesus saw converted during His entire ministry! The Book of Acts tells how the message kept spreading, first around Jerusalem, and eventually to the Gentiles around the Roman Empire. J. C. Ryle succinctly observes “There is no greater work possible than the conversion of a soul.” and that's what happened at pentecost.

okay call my speaking in tongues blabber or gibberish, so were this that heard the apostles in acts 2

am glad am in the company of the apostles... keep mocking us...hahaha glory fall on us.

wow okay can you show from this verses how many souls were saved after the following

i think cornelius speaking in tongues was false since no sol was saved like during the acts 2 episode . abi

I wonder where you read me inferring that you are in the league of the Apostles. The gift they had was of speaking in human languages they couldn't, yours is stark contrast. The direct opposite of what the Apostles had. The bible is clear on the meaning of tongues, it's simply human languages.
And no, the languages spoken by the disciples was not simultaneously. They were speaking as the spirit led them, not that some were hearing gibberish and others hearing their native languages. They spoke in different languages as they were led by the Holy Spirit(Acts 2:4). Yes, they were all speaking in other languages as much as the Spirit gifted them. That's the biblical version, untwisted.
This was why Paul could say he speaks more languages than anyone of them. It's as if he blabbled while the people hear the message in their own languages, no he did really speak human languages.
Not everyone hearing their languages being spoken by the Apostles at once simultaneously. The verses didn't imply that and purely your personal opinion, which unfortunately runs contrary to the real events. It is evident that the disciples (about 120 at pentecost) used this new gift that enabled them speak multiple languages, to spread the gospel. If that's not the primary aim of Jesus promising them the gift, I wonder what else it is (Mark 16:15)

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 11:40pm On Aug 18, 2017
LoJ:

you just nailed it, my dearest, YOU NAILED IT!

I saw a very popular nigerian prophet (let me avoid to give the name now) on youtube, using a powerful invocation to begin his magic acts, while hiding it as "speaking in tongues". I was AMAZED. This is a very renown nigerian prophet, with tens of thousand followers. and the video is still right there on youtube!

Yeah, quite shocking isn't it? and the congregation dutifully stands there. Sad to see.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by AlvanT(m): 7:43am On Aug 19, 2017
Sarassin:

Yeah, quite shocking isn't it? and the congregation dutifully stands there. Sad to see.
Sir I've been in a congregation where the pastor started speaking in tongues with the chants you mentioned earlier.As a kid I loathed going to church but I kept it hidden for fear of being reprimanded and taken for deliverance.I knew deep down that if unluckily for me any of these charlatan pastors layed hands on me,they'll increase my problems. lol
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by BlueAngel444: 9:23am On Aug 19, 2017
https://www.nairaland.com/3992671/tithing-truth-history-origin-catholic

https://www.nairaland.com/3992834/malachis-prophecy

Other problems and disputes within the church

This article is very interesting but some arguments are not within biblical context and are more of your personal opinions
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by BlueAngel444: 9:42am On Aug 19, 2017
There is questionable authenticity about mark 16:9-20

Praying in tongues doesn't necessarily mean praying in Holy Ghost

A times people pray in the flesh and if you have the Holy Spirit in you, you will know

It's a must every believer is baptised in the Holy Ghost.
No one will enter God's Kingdom without the Holy Spirit

Souljeezy real baptism of the Holy Spirit can't be forced or cajoled upon anyone. Anyone doing that is fake

DrGraveYardz Tongues consists of spiritual languages which could be angelic or demonic
wtfcoded You don't learn it, you're born again with it then you build yourself in your God given spiritual language not by vain repetition

Nigeriadondie nice reference to the use of tongues to communicate in other languages as the gift of tongues which I must add still occurs even today

God's doesn't cease till it's purpose is fulfilled and all His gifts are with purpose for edification and as a sign to unbelievers

Now you must also consider that praying in the Spirit is a heart thing done with fervency and an outpouring of love to God. Now why should such cease even when Jesus did it, groaning in the Spirit to God won't cease till God's Kingdom is fully establish on earth and evil is rid off it
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by MizMyColi(f): 12:24pm On Aug 19, 2017
Sarassin:

Hello Sarrassin, LoJ

This gave me chills.
And I'd really like to clarify.

Like seriously, I need to be sure o.

Okay, I will give a brief history of how I began speaking in tongues back in the day...

I was with my mentor and she prayed for holyspirit to take over and to just speak as it comes.
At the time, I couldn't organize my syllables well.
I found that I was using just one syllable. I expressed concern and she told me that those were baby steps and that with time, it would get better.

Did I get better?
Yes!

At times, they would tell us to start speaking in tongues and I would begin rapping whether I felt like it or not.

However, I left organised Christianity...
But I did not leave divinity. I did not leave God.
A lot changed. I considered myself a non Christian. I rejected the God of the old testament. Y'know, the one that is fond of committing several genocides and murders. It simply did not add up with the God I found within.

Now my concern is that years after leaving organized Christianity, I find that I still speak in tongues - now, not because I want to, but it just comes on me. Like it's from my belly, and there's this intense movement my tummy makes. For example, I could be meditating and then I reach a certain point where I begin to hear some messages that are mostly motivative, declarative or just decrees...and next thing I know, I burst out in words that I do not understand. Its not like I want to do it. Its not like I desired it, but it just comes. Sometimes for as low as one minute, other times longer.

I've heard people whom I love and believe in scoff at the practice, but even at that, I do not feel that I should stop...and if I were to stop, it would mean me actively muzzling my speech from going in that direction.

Biko, am I possessed or something?

Oh, let me add that after such exercise, there is this peace and calm and clarity that comes on me. It's like I get to see things from a fresh perspective again.

Also, please can you help me understand why my belly gives this kind of shaky pulses sometimes when I pray or meditate on a certain issue....

I just hope I have not succeeded in confusing you.
Nonetheless, I'd appreciate your constructive feedback(s).
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 6:30am On Aug 20, 2017
MizMyColi:
Hello dear, it is always a pleasure to read from you.

Sarassin will likely give a more technical answer to your questions. Still I will proceed from my own experience, analysis and understanding. I first of all, want to outline the fact that I can relate very well with your experiences, as I followed almost the same path.

According to me, speaking in tongues, is a technique (quite inefficient, but still a technique) to send one wishes directly to the subconscious. Let's clarify. The "god that answereth prayers" is nothing but the subconscious mind, the real self, higher self, the Atman, who actually directs our lives. So in a sense, praying is communicating one's will to the Atman, so that he directs circumstances along these lines.

The problem is, conscious communication with the Atman is difficult to most human beings. Part of the reason is that the subconscious mind, does not understand words and languages, but images and emotions. The (conscious) mind (Paul would call it the carnal mind)is therefore the greatest barrier to effective prayer. It prevents a natural and effective communication with the atman, by distorting the messages in both direction. You therefore see why Jesus reputedly said that prayer is not the vain repetition of words.

This ability to effectively (and somehow consciously) communicate with the divine element in us is the primary goal of EVERY serious esoteric path. The masters, Teachers and enlightened ones of various esoteric schools have provided many techniques to this aim, and even modern day psychologists/psychanalysts (Car Jung and Goerges gurdjieff come to my mind) have offered tools to achieve this.

Speaking in tongue, when it is not associated with a case of demonic possession, is one technique to shortcut (avoid) the conscious mind and communicate directly one's will to the higher self. It is quite inefficient, and "milk for babys" type of spiritual technique, but it remains one (in my perspective) and in the hands of a good practitionner, can lead to positive results.

What Sarassin and I were actually denouncing is the fact that many clergy men hide behind speaking in tongues to perform powerful invocations, that will enable them to dupe deceive and carry out prestidigitation.

The peace you experience after speaking in tongues (if not pyschologically self induced), could simply be tied to the increase in vibration associated with most spiritual practices that aims at accessing the Atman.

Greetings.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by MizMyColi(f): 7:31am On Aug 20, 2017
LoJ:

Hello dear, it is always a pleasure to read from you.

I feel the same way too smiley

I thank you.
For shedding more light.
It resonates.
Thank you.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 12:25pm On Aug 20, 2017
MizMyColi:

Oh, let me add that after such exercise, there is this peace and calm and clarity that comes on me. It's like I get to see things from a fresh perspective again.

Also, please can you help me understand why my belly gives this kind of shaky pulses sometimes when I pray or meditate on a certain issue...

Hello MzMyColi, lovely to read your post and pertinent observations. For me the term ‘speaking in tongues’ as applied in the charismatic churches is a misnomer the proper term should be ‘glossolalia’. LoJ already gave a really good perspective on things, I would just add that our minds and bodies are very easily conditioned and this is why you will find that you spontaneously break out into glossolalia during meditation, similarly when one recites a mantra long enough eventually it will begin to well up in your mind spontaneously even without you willing it, this is because the mantra has taken 'root' in your subconscious, it is exactly the same with the glossolalia.

There is nothing inherently wrong in the practice of glossolalia it serves to clear the mind briefly suspending the chatter of the mind and within a meditative practice where one’s space is properly sanctified, it is a good tool to use.

You have touched on the issue of pulses you feel in your tummy area when you meditate, this being your 'solar plexus' area is one of the most important areas of spiritual awakening of which there are five comprising of The crown or spirit gate, the throat area, the heart area and the feet area. Your solar plexus Chakra is responding to your meditative practice and that is why experience that feeling. The more you deepen your meditative practice the more the other areas will respond in positive fashion. You may perhaps feel a tickling at the soles of your feet when the 'Earth' gate becomes active or your chest area giving up a feeling of mild warmth.

With time and proper practice you will find that your entire body will begin to pulsate. Your aim should be to have all five points fully active, and when you have achieved that you learn to circulate that energy around your body and you can use it to heal yourself of any ailments that you may have simply by directing the energy mentally to any particular part of your body, in addition you can heal others with it also, you could in fact regress the advance of age if you wish.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by MizMyColi(f): 1:39pm On Aug 20, 2017
Sarassin:

Thank you.
smiley

That was refreshing and expository.

smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by danchuzzy(m): 3:49pm On Aug 20, 2017
Sarassin:

Hello

More please...

More!!!
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by forray(m): 6:30pm On Aug 20, 2017
Is stead of this arguments, why dont u guys read through Mathew 6 and leave ur life according to the words and instructions of JESUS CHRIST himself. I believe he is the church and his words is final. Leave a morally upright life and let God judge when the end comes.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by Kolanist(m): 9:29pm On Jan 20, 2018
Nigeriadondie:
undecidedTongues speaking was a gift of d holy spirit which enabled early christians back then to preach in a language(tongue) other than their own.

Before the birth of christianity, God had a covenant relationship with man but that was to change as the old Law was to be replaced with the new law enacted by d blood of Jesus and henwas no longer dealing with humans on d basis of the old law but thru d newly formed christian congregation after Christ's death and ressurection. To convince many that the congregation had His backing, he uses gifts of d spirit such as tongues- 1 Corinthians 14:22.

The gift of speaking served another purpose. During the time of Jesus there was no printing and broadcasting to relay messages to a mass audience as we ve now. Also, there was d issue of language barrier which wud hamper d spread of d gospel of God's will and purpose. To overcome these challenges, tongues speaking filled that need.

Please open ur Bible to read Acts 2:1-11 but with emphasis on verses 6-11 where you wud observe that the tongues spoken where in d real sense of it real languages that were understood by other people who spoke the language not some senseless and meaningless words spoken by ALL tongues speaking pentecostal churches. That way, people cud hear the message of God in their own native language. If u read Acts2:41 u would see that d result of tongues speaking was the 3,000 converts who would now carry witj them to whereever they went the message of goodnews or gospel fulfilling what Christ said in Acts1:8 and what Paul said in Colossians 1:23.

Again, lets examine tongue speaking in the time of early christians and the ones of our time which for me is mere rambling of meaningless words which is tantamount to noise which I recall in my High school class is an unpleasant noise.
Read 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 and 27-31 with emphasis on verse 30.
Read also 1 Corinthians 14:5-33,40 but lay emphasis on 5,11,12,13,19,26-28,31,33,40.
You would realise that when tongues are spoken then it must be interpreted. If no interpretation the tongue speaker has achieved nothing.
Also in verse 31, people cant speak in tongues simultaneously (at the same time) it would make d place rowdy/noisy/disorderly/chaotic as the gathering of barbarians. And the God true christians worship is a God or order as verse 33 shows and so christians must worship God in an orderly manner as verse 40 shows. Not the simultaneous noise making of all in the pentecostal churches we see today, people rambling making noise uttering words they nor their listeners understand and as such cannot interpret what the blabbed which is required.

Now in our time, we ve a well developed printing and broadcasting technology that has overcome the language barrier. The spread of d goodnews is no longer impeded by language barrier as the Bible is now printed in all the living languages spoken today. We even have d Braille for the blind and some bibles have sign language for d deaf. Beinh an ardent admirer of Jehovah's Witnesses the have their publications in about 800 languanges and have a mobile application called "JW LIBRARY" in about 800 languages. If u doubt me u can download it and u wud be amazed at its unique features. Even their website www.jw.org is in many languages as well so making tongues speaking obsolete.
Also , they ve many missionaries who ve taken up the challenge of leaening bew languages so they could reach people who speak that language with d gospel.

As Paul said in 1Corinthians 13:1-13, the gifts of speaking in tongues and other gifts of d holy spirit would pass away with time. This is because as d christian congregation was still in its baby or infant stage, extraordinary gifts of the spirit was needed to convince people of God's approval of the christian congregation but as time went by and it grew beyond the babe stage, the traits of babes has to be put way and as such these gifts are no longer required. They ve outlived their purpose.

Hence, we should not be arried away with all these fake pentecostal churches. Look at what d Bible says Matthew 7:21-23, 2Thessolonians 2:8-10

There is nothing wrong in PRAYING in tongues aloud in the church.it is just that when ever u pray in an unknown tongue in the church try to pray in a known tongue also~1CORINTHIANS 14:14-17. There is a difference between PRAYING in tongues(1CORINTHIANS 14:14-15) and SPEAKING IN TONGUES WITHOUT INTERPRETATION FOR UNBELIEVERS TO HEAR (1CORINTHIANS 14:21-22) and SPEAKING IN TONGUES TO MAGNIFY\PRAISE\TELL OF GOD'S WONDERS\WORSHIP\ which is the evidence of The Holy Spirit baptism(ACTS 2:1-15; ACTS 10:44-46 ) and SPEAKING IN TONGUES FOR INTERPRETATION FOR BELIEVERS TO HEAR(1CORINTHIANS 14:27-28). Every christian can PRAY in tongues(it is called PRAYER LANGUAGE)&all can speak in tongues for unbelievers to hear and all SHOULD speak in tongues to praise\magnify\tell of God's wonders\worship\(this is the evidence of The Holy Spirit baptism) but not all christians can SPEAK IN TONGUES FOR INTERPRETATION(it is a specific gift of the spirit in 1CORINTHIANS 12:10&30). If the bible condems speaking in tongue openly for unbelievers to hear why does it say in 1CORINTIANS 14:21-22 that "with men of other tongues will i SPEAK UNTO THIS PEOPLE yet they will not hear wherefore tongues is a SIGN TO UNBELIEVER" . If tongues is a sign to unbelievers as the scripture says, how will they hear it as a sign to them if it is not spoken openly to them or for them to hear. 1CORINTHIANS 14:39 says "........FORBID NOT TO SPEAK WITH TONGUES" .Even in the first church, they ALL spoke with tongues to tell of God's wonders for the unbelievers to hear(ACTS 2:1-15).The fact is this, if ALL of them were not speaking in tongues in the first church during penticost, why did the people MOCK THEM SAYING THEY WERE DRUNK OF WINE in ACTS 2:13-15 ,if they were all speaking with understanding the people would not have said they were drunk ,this is what happened in Cornelius's house(ACTS 10:44-46). This is proof of the validity of speaking and praying in tongues openly .SPEAKING in tongues(without interpretation) should be done for unbelievers;SPEAKING in tongues to praise\magnify\tell of God's wonders\worship\ SHOULD be done any were by all believers(any were,in &outside the church) but SPEAKING in tongues for interpretation(with an interpreter)(not all believers can do this) can be done in the church, there is the speaking with TONGUES OF ANGELS in 1CORINTHIANS 13:1 which i guess no man can understand, PRAYING in an unknown tongue can be done every were(in and outside the church) but try to pray with a known tongue as also with the unknown

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Bola Ajibola: 'After Fasting For 7 Days, All My 35 Students Scored A1 In Maths' / 1 Million Naira To Whoever Can Prove Any Of The Following / You Have Nothing to Show For 2 Years - Kaduna Catholic Bishops Blast Buhari, APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 167
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.