Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,810 members, 7,806,272 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:50 PM

According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? (10690 Views)

Pastor Tony Rapu On Plastic Surgery: 'The Bible Is Silent About It' / PA Ikhide Ikheloa: The Bible Is A Work Of Fiction, Africans Open Your Eyes / King James Version Of The Bible Is For Homosexuals And Rastafarians–ghanaian Rev (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by Evidenx(m): 8:02am On Aug 13, 2017
According to the Bible, when a man and a woman divorce (or separate, it's same thing) they are both commanded to remain unmarried, whoever marries the the man who divorced his wife or the divorced wife commits adultery,but they are both permitted to come back together... for God said I hate divorce.

Bless you sir.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by Segadem(m): 8:02am On Aug 13, 2017
Elnida:

the only excuse given In the Bible for a divorce is infidelity.. divorce is so allowed only when one cheats on the other
forgiveness is also allowed

1 Like

Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by agbonkamen(f): 8:04am On Aug 13, 2017
Elnida:

the only excuse given In the Bible for a divorce is infidelity.. divorce is so allowed only when one cheats on the other
how many divorce cases are of infidelity today? Some divorce were caused by minor issues. My dear read Matthew 19:3-9
Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by WHOcarex: 8:11am On Aug 13, 2017
Hmmm. Make I just reserve my comment lipsrsealed
Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by pato405(m): 8:12am On Aug 13, 2017
muller101:
cheesy we know the chief cause of divorce is
marriage. People should stop getting married.

I absolutely agree with you. It's a scam.

1 Like

Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by obailala(m): 8:20am On Aug 13, 2017
Sniper12:
What does the bible say about the use of phones
The use of phones and computers is not biblical tongue lipsrsealed
Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by InvertedHammer: 8:22am On Aug 13, 2017
/

The bible is just a template. Some of the things in bible cannot be applicable in this day and age. We continue to evolve which is why pastors accept money in lieu of farm produces for tithe. Does reading the bible in your ipad make it any less word of God?

\
Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by Bobmaintain: 8:28am On Aug 13, 2017
iphi:
I'm confused the bible should straighten things out but i can't seem to get my head around it, maybe I'm not seeing it well and i need help. Deut 24:1-4 and jer 3:1 had their shares and advice according to the law of God about how to divorce (encouraging divorce) BUT 1 cor 7:10-11 and Matt 19:9 and few other new testament chapters disallows divorce and even Luke 16:18 doesn't even allow a divorcee to get married again. According to the bible and todays law a paper for divorce must be given to them. According to the bible in deut 24:3-4. It is an abomination for a woman to get married and be divorced then get married to another man and divorce again (maybe the new husband dies) and return to the first husband if the exhusband accepts her its an abomination. My questions: 1. What is the fate of a woman who never re-married but the ex husband has already moved on after the divorce is it an abomination if this husband comes back to re-marry her (she was a first wife)? 2. Can we call couples that are separated (even when there was no legal paper or traditional backing acceptance) divorced? Bible scholars Nlanders help me answer these questions. Mods pls do the needful.

Op, 1 Corinthians 7:10, 11 and 15 is mostly about marriage desertion/departure of a spouse, not separation nor divorce.
And in that case, that is if your spouse departs/deserts/abandons the marriage, you are not under any bondage not to remarry (verse 15).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by Pataricatering(f): 8:30am On Aug 13, 2017
God hates divorce, God hates divorce are people still not getting divorced If God hates divorce so much he should have created people in pairs from heaven in love and completely compatible to each other so they would never divorce! If your spouse uses you as a punching bag every day nko? God hates divorce, abi ? So many people have died on top ' God hates divorce ' . Continue the stupidity

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by olowobaba10: 8:35am On Aug 13, 2017
HOW MANY GOD'S LAWS ARE WE STILL KEEPING THESE DAYS ?
Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by aku626(m): 8:44am On Aug 13, 2017
labanji:
Separation is a temporary marriage division which most times is Illegal.
Divorce is permanent separation mostly backed legally.
Bible is a human made book that even doesn't recognise it's principal subject- Jesus or Mary. Compared to some books that dedicate chapters to these subjects and others.
embarassed undecided kiss
Since Divorce rates among Christians is more, I don't think the Bible explain this.

(If you quote me, You will catch Ebola IJN)

Nwaamaikpe what do you think?

Your statistics is wrong 38% non-Christian and 33% born again Christian. Also your knowledge of the Bible is limited and lopsided towards your believes.
The Bible has always leaned toward its subject and the goals and desires of the subject, I'm sure you'd understand this if you read to understand rather to fuel your personal vendetta.
About the Ebola it's not electronically contagious. Grow up.

1 Like

Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by Nobody: 8:48am On Aug 13, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
Divorce is wrong, God doesn't support it, what he supports however is buying and selling humans and passing these humans to one's children and children's children as inheritance, also you can beat these humans you buy to death so long they survive for a day or two after the beating

Holy Bible
scripture and verse pls
Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by michytluv: 8:48am On Aug 13, 2017
agbonkamen:
Its a clear issue in the bible that God does not like divorce. but if you must divorce as a man or woman you must remained unmarried but when one of them dies the other party is free to remarry. aside all these I listed, every other things like after divorce the man or woman moves on its called adultery if the both are still alive which is a sin before God. A man's first wife is recognized by God while she is alive and her husband is married to another woman but when she (first wife) dies no wahala.

this is not completely true

1 Like

Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by Nobody: 8:49am On Aug 13, 2017
Pataricatering:
God hates divorce, God hates divorce are people still not getting divorced If God hates divorce so much he should have created people in pairs from heaven in love and completely compatible to each other so they would never divorce! If your spouse uses you as a punching bag every day nko? God hates divorce, abi ? So many people have died on top ' God hates divorce ' . Continue the stupidity
ehn when special adviser to our Lord Jesus Christ on marital affairs
Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by Nobody: 8:50am On Aug 13, 2017
Pataricatering:
ehn ehn special adviser to our Lord Jesus Christ on marital affairs
Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by agbonkamen(f): 8:51am On Aug 13, 2017
michytluv:

this is not completely true
read Matthew 19:3_9
Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by Elnida: 8:52am On Aug 13, 2017
agbonkamen:
how many divorce cases are of infidelity today? Some divorce were caused by minor issues. My dear read Matthew 19:3-9

get me right,irrespective of the minor issues as U put,is no enough reason in the sight of God to divorce a partner.
Divorce can only be gotten genuinely via infidelity, if not U shall stay together forever more
Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by EverGlorious(m): 8:57am On Aug 13, 2017
MadCow1:
The Bible again? grin

Here is the first problem you have with the Bible, it's filled with alot of personal opinions and some of which became law based on personal opinions.

Example: The Books of Exodus - Deutronomy are filled with more than 600 Laws. Only 10 of those 600 Laws were direct commandments from God to Man (written by God himself). The remaining were just laws of Moses. The same thing can be found in the New Testament where Paul (Former renowned Christian Mass Murderer named Saul) wrote lots of letters to small churches scattered all around Israel trying to help bring solutions to some issues. Some of the contents of those letters are being taken as Christian laws today.

So the truth is you are bound to be very confused trying to merge Old Testament Laws and new testament laws or trying to figure out between the Mosaic Laws, God's Laws, Jesus' commandments and those of Paul.

So to keep a sane head and mind as a Christian, only focus on those laws that came directly from God like the 10 commandments and those that came directly from Jesus like "Love your God and Love your neighbour". Everything outside these will only bring you more confusion.

Apostle MadCow.. The 13th disciple of Jesus.

This also came directly from Jesus; " Any man who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery" (Luke 16:18).
Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by pressplay411(m): 8:57am On Aug 13, 2017
MadCow1:
The Bible again? grin

Here is the first problem you have with the Bible, it's filled with alot of personal opinions and some of which became law based on personal opinions.

Example: The Books of Exodus - Deutronomy are filled with more than 600 Laws. Only 10 of those 600 Laws were direct commandments from God to Man (written by God himself). The remaining were just laws of Moses. The same thing can be found in the New Testament where Paul (Former renowned Christian Mass Murderer named Saul) wrote lots of letters to small churches scattered all around Israel trying to help bring solutions to some issues. Some of the contents of those letters are being taken as Christian laws today.

So the truth is you are bound to be very confused trying to merge Old Testament Laws and new testament laws or trying to figure out between the Mosaic Laws, God's Laws, Jesus' commandments and those of Paul.

So to keep a sane head and mind as a Christian, only focus on those laws that came directly from God like the 10 commandments and those that came directly from Jesus like "Love your God and Love your neighbour". Everything outside these will only bring you more confusion.

It's all personal opinions made into law, purportedly divine inspired.

God never said or wrote a law, men like you and I did.
God's laws are all around us, the laws of sowing and reaping, karma, life and death, laws of attraction, magnetism, EM, gravity which holds the world together, etc.
Every other thing is man made designed to foster peaceful coexistence for our social proliferation.

What you choose to believe is totally up to you.
You can choose to lead the life of a Christian, Muslim, Jew, Traditionist, Scientologist, Buddhist, Atheist etc as long as it's suits you, practice it with peace.

God answers every one's prayers once the conditions of these his established laws are met.

On the OPs questions, your references from OT and NT are at loggerheads because one is Jewish laws, the other is Christian laws.
I on the other hand will rather go with the government laws on divorce.
Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by hopefulLandlord: 8:58am On Aug 13, 2017
funmisticqueen:
scripture and verse pls

I'll do better by giving "Verses"

Exodus 21:7-11

Exodus 21:2-5

Leviticus 25:44

Leviticus 25:44-46

The part that allows them to be beaten to death is Exodus 21:20-21

and you can also get rid of the humans you bought by simply blinding them, blinding a slave mandates you giving him or her freedom as explained in Exodus 21:26-27

our beloved Jesus Christ also supported human slave trade Ephesians 6:5-8, 1 Timothy 6:1-2
Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by tuscani: 9:02am On Aug 13, 2017
The way the Bible talked about divorce is only one reason I believed that people must have tempered with the Bible. For example, there is no room for divorce except adultery. Even when you divorce adulterous partner ,byou can not re marry until your partner is dead!. What about ordatey lamprey who discovered after 20 years that none of the kids are his own, acvording to the Bible, even if theye divorce, both of them can't remember marry till one of them dies. This doesn't look fair
Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by ekevwe(m): 9:02am On Aug 13, 2017
let's not be deceive, separation and divorce are thesame. We are just using separation if they couples are not staying together awaiting court judgement in dissolving marital vow or man returning dowries/ bride price.
Biblically, God dislike divorce. In Sight of God, we only marry one person even after divorce, to him the couples are still married except in event of death.

1 Like

Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by Tolexander: 9:10am On Aug 13, 2017
MadCow1:
The Bible again? grin

Lol @ 13th disciple of Jesus.
Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by Nobody: 9:13am On Aug 13, 2017
iphi:
I'm confused the bible should straighten things out but i can't seem to get my head around it, maybe I'm not seeing it well and i need help. Deut 24:1-4 and jer 3:1 had their shares and advice according to the law of God about how to divorce (encouraging divorce) BUT 1 cor 7:10-11 and Matt 19:9 and few other new testament chapters disallows divorce and even Luke 16:18 doesn't even allow a divorcee to get married again. According to the bible and todays law a paper for divorce must be given to them. According to the bible in deut 24:3-4. It is an abomination for a woman to get married and be divorced then get married to another man and divorce again (maybe the new husband dies) and return to the first husband if the exhusband accepts her its an abomination. My questions: 1. What is the fate of a woman who never re-married but the ex husband has already moved on after the divorce is it an abomination if this husband comes back to re-marry her (she was a first wife)? 2. Can we call couples that are separated (even when there was no legal paper or traditional backing acceptance) divorced? Bible scholars Nlanders help me answer these questions. Mods pls do the needful.

Just become irreligious n be free.
Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by Yuji: 9:16am On Aug 13, 2017
Segadem:

forgiveness is also allowed

Forgiveness doesn't mean foolishness. Its not by force to remain married to someone even if you forgive them.

2 Likes

Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by MadCow1: 9:17am On Aug 13, 2017
pressplay411:

It's all personal opinions made into law, purportedly divine inspired.

God never said or wrote a law, men like you and I did.
God's laws are all around us, the laws of sowing and reaping, karma, life and death, laws of attraction, magnetism, EM, gravity which holds the world together, etc.
Every other thing is man made designed to foster peaceful coexistence for our social proliferation.

What you choose to believe is totally up to you.
You can choose to lead the life of a Christian, Muslim, Jew, Traditionist, Scientologist, Buddhist, Atheist etc as long as it's suits you, practice it with peace.

God answers every one's prayers once the conditions of these his established laws are met.

On the OPs questions, your references from OT and NT are at loggerheads because one is Jewish laws, the other is Christian laws.
I on the other hand will rather go with the government laws on divorce.

Well, I like where your mind is but I am trying to address a specific group of audience. This audience are a special group that don't necessarily see any law as supreme or true if it's not contained in their religious books.

So it's important that I put the laws contained in their book in perspective for them to be able to understand.

I prefer the Law of the Constitution as they are not set in stone and subject to review as time and circumstance may require.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by Yuji: 9:22am On Aug 13, 2017
EverGlorious:

This also came directly from Jesus; " Any man who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery" (Luke 16:18).
This is also from Jesus directly. Divorce is only acceptable on grounds of infidelity.

1 Like

Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by agbonkamen(f): 9:25am On Aug 13, 2017
funmisticqueen:
ehn ehn special adviser to our Lord Jesus Christ on marital affairs
don't mind her. Its because of civilization and not studying the bible are the cause of divorce rate today. What is happening now were among those things that made our forefathers refused training women. The way an uneducated woman protect, safeguard her marriage is different from the way an educated woman handles her marriage. I am a woman and I know what am saying my friend got married last week Saturday she did traditional, registry and church wedding. She told me that she did court should the man act funny she will just divorce and half his properties. Do you think such person would care about saving marriage from divorce? I am not saying education or civilization is bad but since we are in 21st century, let us try and build our marriage foundation on christ by studying the word of God (bible). my prayer everyday concerning marriage is God anything that will cause me to fail as a wife and mother let it not be my portion till I die and same to my future husband. Do you think a man who loved you, took you to the altar will just wake up one morning to kill you or a woman who loved you as man, agreed to spend her life with you will just decide to kill you as her husband if not that the Devil has entered your union to distroy your marriage. Look at children from a broken home for instance

3 Likes

Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by kenn4rill(m): 10:21am On Aug 13, 2017
May be we should ask pastor Chris n Chris okotie to explain better for us
Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by Nobody: 10:39am On Aug 13, 2017
No need for useless eschatology.

In xtian contenct divorce is when a man or woman openly declares that they dont want to be married any longer to their spouse.

Separation is when your pastor asks you not to stay with your partner after you must have completed the traditional marriage ceremony but dont have funds to to a church wedding.

Infact the pastor can still prevent you from staying with your partner if you did the church wedding in another church.

So you can see that divorce and separation are not the same.
Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by buccy(f): 12:05pm On Aug 13, 2017
Reading all comments and well this is my personal opinion. First of all, if you are not married or never been married, you have no business giving advice. No woman or man especially when kids are involved will opt for divorce, divorce is heart wrenching, time and energy sapping, let us not talk of the emotions involved.

The Bible was written at a time when men treated their wives with dignity and respect and the wives did sane to their husbands, they indeed loved their wives as christ loved the church. Therefore Jesus said that to avoid promiscuity and people getting in and out of marriage, for flimsy reasons and the fun of it.

I dont honestly think if Jesus was around in this time and sees a woman with a swollen eye or an emotionally battered woman will tell her to remain in a marriage that is obviously not headed anywhere. So she stays there and becomes a bitter person and thinks the world is against her, with all her potentials buried and forgotten.

People have gotten divorced and remarried and that is the best thing that has ever happened to their lives. I dont think they are going to hell for doing that... let he that is without sin cast the first stone!!

1 Like

Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by Zinny25(f): 12:29pm On Aug 13, 2017
This topic isn't an easy one at all but as Christians I believe we should God's set standards. First, God is against divorce. Even if your spouse is beating you, you have entered that means you are in it until death do you part. One may want to argue with the fact that the rate of domestic violence and abuse is on the high side so if one is in such he/she ought to seek for a divorce...God is against it. That is why you should open your eyes before you say I do. Don't rush into marriage, marry someone who has the same vision with you. I have never seen two believers that got married and had issues in marriage that led to divorce. Coming back to the question if a couple is not moving along well, having issues etc the best thing is for them to 'separate' not divorce. Separation gives them time to think, meditate, pray and also seek godly counsel. After some time they can come back together. I think the Bible talks about separation check 1corinthians 7:11

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Questions For Atheists!!! / CAN Fecilitates With Muslims At Eid-El-Kabir / Have You Ever Asked God, "Why Is My Own Case Different?"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.