Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,742 members, 7,806,032 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:29 AM

Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition (14825 Views)

Submit A 200-word Synopsis Of Your Book, Get Featured On EF / Win $20,000 In A 100-word Competition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by Wanderlustafrik: 10:06am On Aug 13, 2017
Hello writers,

I love your works and most of it helps me through the day.

I decided to give ten thousand Naira to the best original short story of 200 words...not more than 200 words and not less.

Post your work here and let it be an original work.

Winner will be decided by the number of likes he/she gets on his post.

Open to other ways of suggesting a winner but I think that the above suggestion is the most transparent.

Thanks for participating.

Prize is 10,000 Naira. Will be wired to winners account or given cash depending on the winners preference.

Competition ends on Monday 21st August 2017

3 Likes

Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by olayinks007(m): 11:01am On Aug 13, 2017
THE GRASS
It’s so fucking easy.

“I saw Imelda do it,” I say, making my face solemn.

The teacher frowns. His eyes flick away from me, to Peter then to the field outside. I note that he tries not to look at my breasts under my school blouse.

“I saw her do it. I saw her rolling it by the art rooms.”

“So did I Mr Schofield,” says Peter.

Teachers are not police inspectors or private investigators. Their heads are stuffed with sexual frustrations and instant coffee.

“She was selling it. It smelled of bonfires and old tea.” Peter nods as I speak.

“Well, yes. Thank you for telling me Gina.” For a second I am scared that the matter will end here, disappointment making the tears running down my nose briefly real.

“But it’s wrong isn’t it Mr Schofield? I’m scared for her Mr Schofield.”

Schofield stands to try to retain control of the conversation: “Leave it to me you two. I’ll look into it.”

In the corridor outside, Peter and I kiss knowing that Schofield will find the package we place in Imelda’s bag.

Knowing that we will be one step nearer top of the class.

Knowing Candice is next.

8 Likes

Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by Divepen1(m): 11:40am On Aug 13, 2017
1. GSteve001 2. Missnande 3. OluwabuqqyYOLO 4. Heryordele94 5. Debbietiyan 6. meneski 7. McLove 8. horlahmieh 9. Kusibe77 10. AyarmBoye 11.Jazmiynne 12. expensive2 13. KimberlyWest 14. Chipappii 15. Oyindawealth 16. comelyJummy 17. skarlett 18. Trip4Jozzy 19. devilmaycry 20. Lesky3 21. illicit 22. Frankenstein 23. perrypablo 24. boffinjay 25. piroux 26. Gmike2rule 27. ToluLolu0122
Anyone interested

3 Likes

Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by Kusibe77(m): 11:46am On Aug 13, 2017
Dayum, we are here.

This one nah for prolific and popular writers on this place, anyway, brb.
Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by Wanderlustafrik: 12:04pm On Aug 13, 2017
Keep them coming. Submissions after 12 pm on Monday 21st August 2017 won't be considered eligible
Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by GeoSilYe(f): 12:06pm On Aug 13, 2017
Foolish Lover

The smell of petrol is breath taking
The tyre round my neck chokes me
And the ground shreds my knee
Blood begging to be released.
For you I did things
A fool wouldn't dare to do.
But the eyes of the people
Surrounding me
Are not sharper than the daggers
That I feel in my heart.
If I received the call
Of your betrayal
A minute earlier
I would not have come here
To pluck where I didn't sow
The shouts of the women pierce my ears
And the kicks from the men deform my soul
For you I stole
And now for you I die
The fire tearing me apart
Is not worst than your lies
Deceit and greed
My soul will haunt you down
Till your last breath.

17 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by SheWrites(f): 12:11pm On Aug 13, 2017
Just seeing this.

Let's see what I can cook up...

2 Likes

Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by Wanderlustafrik: 12:14pm On Aug 13, 2017
Wow! The lady GeoSilye is good.��

Please scrutinize each other's works yourselves to check originality.
Bring proof if you have to accuse anyone of plagiarism.

Brightest minds are already shining forth..

Keep em coming
Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by illicit(m): 12:20pm On Aug 13, 2017
Divepen1:
1. GSteve001 2. Missnande 3. OluwabuqqyYOLO 4. Heryordele94 5. Debbietiyan 6. meneski 7. McLove 8. horlahmieh 9. Kusibe77 10. AyarmBoye 11.Jazmiynne 12. expensive2 13. KimberlyWest 14. Chipappii 15. Oyindawealth 16. comelyJummy 17. skarlett 18. Trip4Jozzy 19. devilmaycry 20. Lesky3 21. illicit 22. Frankenstein 23. perrypablo 24. boffinjay 25. piroux 26. Gmike2rule 27. ToluLolu0122
Anyone interested
thanks for the mention @ divepen1 I got it now @ wanderlustafric, thumbs up @ other writers more ink to ya pens....
Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by Nobody: 12:27pm On Aug 13, 2017
Thanks for the mention Divepen1 ut I'm still tryna come up with a suitable dribble embarassed

1 Like

Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by Nobody: 12:28pm On Aug 13, 2017
Thanks for the mention Divepen1 but I'm still tryna come up with a suitable dribble embarassed
Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by ProFuhrer: 12:34pm On Aug 13, 2017
UNITATIS ET PROGRESSUS

“I, the President of this great nation..."

"This is a disaster, your excellency," the Chief of Staff spat as he watched the speech air on national TV. "What about your agenda?"

"My agenda?" Rihabu asked, a sad smile creeping over his weary face. "I came out to salvage this nation but it is no longer about me, Rikha," he said affectedly.

His eyes caught the map of the country on wall with 'Unity and Progress' boldly written on the frame.

"Can there ever be Progress without unity?" Rihabu thought aloud.

He picked up his state-issued phone.

"Get me a secure line to Idmann Nuka," he said.

There was a pause at the other end before the receiver snapped, "At once, your excellency!"

Rihabu turned to face the aghast Rikha who promptly frothed, "Walahi, Moh! For... what reason?"

Rihabu ignored the lack of formality and answered, "Not just him. I will hear the grievances and the way forward from the other stakeholders and our people."

"I had time to reflect these past few weeks, Rikha. This country is divided because of the seeds of discord sown by the political class. Tonight, however, change begins with me," he declared passionately.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 12:34pm On Aug 13, 2017
It was a fortnight after the truce had been declared. The birds had begun twitting and the scenes we had been witnessing were becoming less gruesome with every passing day. Those who were still surviving had initially felt reluctant to be out, in the open, and it was the most reasonable thing considering the fear that clung tightly to their minds. But, days after, no
bomb had been dropped, and the occasional gunshots we heard were only fired from our handguns, and the truce was beginning to look genuine. The green was returning to everyone’s mind and, in every hour or two, laughter floated though it often came with the creepy limelight of death.

Presently, the kids were learning on the large field which used to be a battlefield.

‘Orhiza.’ It was Dele, one of the few doctors left; and I had taken a liking to him. He put on a smile and hugged me.

Then—so sudden, with a memory that immediately alarmed us, the day dimmed and the vaguely familiar wailing of fighter jets chimed madly in our ears. Smoke devastatingly filled our eyes and, soon, the smell of burning bones of children soundly hit our nostrils.

©JQeem, 2017

21 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by Nobody: 12:36pm On Aug 13, 2017
GIRL-CHILD POWER.

Like every other day, Emeka and his wife, Amaka, started the day with 'hits' and 'blows'. What could make a couple; two matured adults with kids to quarrel everyday?

After about two hours, neighbours were finally able to gain access into the apartment.

''Tell this useless woman to get out of my house, or else I will kill her in this house.'' Emeka screamed at the neighbours, who had just broken the door to gain access into the house.

''Papa Chinonye...'' a neighbour started but Emeka rudely interrupted by shouting, ''Don't call me papa Chinonye, my name is Emeka, I don't need those good for nothing girls.''

''Oga Emeka, please forgive her.'' another neighbour chimed in.

''She will no longer stay in this house, She's worthless. Can you imagine? Four daughters and no male, me? Emeka? In this era? God forbid!''

''Are they not your children?'' Amaka asked, with bruised face and swollen eyes.

''No, they are not!'' he screamed back at her and pounced on her again.

It took three able bodied men to pull him away from his wife.

With tears in her eyes, she packed her belongings and left the house with her four daughters; despite the pleas from neighbours to stay.

20 Years later.

''Mum!'' Chinonye screamed.

''My daughter, Ogini?''

''Mum, I got the job, I'm now a senior correspondent with CNN!''

''Chineke'm o! God you're good.'' the now grey-haired Amaka began singing.

''Guess what mum?''

''Janet, my younger sister will become a certified chartered accountant as from next week'' Chinonye screamed happily.

''Oh! Chim Oh!'' Amaka began singing and dancing again.

IT CERTAINLY PAYS TO EDUCATE A GIRL CHILD!!!

22 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by Nobody: 12:41pm On Aug 13, 2017
ProFuhrer:
The posts on the first page gets the most likes. That's how Nairaland works.

Great idea!

Op, thanks for this great move, may God bless you.

I think after all the submissions, we can talk to Divepen1 to move it to the frontpage, then all Nairalanders can read and afterwards like and share whichever story they love.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by ProFuhrer: 12:49pm On Aug 13, 2017
Divepen1:
Anyone interested
Please unban Frankenstein.
Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by ProFuhrer: 12:51pm On Aug 13, 2017
KimberlyWest:

Great idea!

I think after all the submissions, we can talk to Divepen1 to move it to the frontpage, then all Nairalanders can read and afterwards like and share whichever story they love.

Are participants allowed to campaign for LIKES?

cc Divepen1

Wanderlustafrik
Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by Divepen1(m): 12:52pm On Aug 13, 2017
KimberlyWest:

Great idea!

I don't have the power to push it to FP.. I can only recommend it for FP. so If I recommend it today and tomorrow, it might cause hullabaloo...

Although not all, but many people on FP, would not read to like and share; they will only like stories of people they know or random names.
Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by Divepen1(m): 12:58pm On Aug 13, 2017
ProFuhrer:

Are participants allowed to campaign for LIKES?

cc Divepen1

Wanderlustafrik
I'm not the organiser. I'm even thinking of competing so that if I win I'll give part of it to the winners of Seun Osewa Battle and even do a little something for the judges...
Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by Nobody: 1:06pm On Aug 13, 2017
Divepen1:
I don't have the power to push it to FP.. I can only recommend it for FP. so If I recommend it today and tomorrow, it might cause hullabaloo...

Although not all, but many people on FP, would not read to like and share; they will only like stories of people they know or random names.

You're absolutely right. I've noticed that the people on FP usually show interest in celebrity news and pre-wedding photo's.

I guess we literaturelanders will have to do this ourselves.

Happy sunday.

1 Like

Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by ProFuhrer: 1:25pm On Aug 13, 2017
Meneski and Souloho19
Get over here.
Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by SheWrites(f): 2:15pm On Aug 13, 2017
THE PROPOSAL

The doorbell rang and his heart beat accelerated. He took a deep breath and tried to still his emotions. He headed towards the door and brought out the tiny red square shaped box out of his jeans pocket.

He could still remember the first time he saw her. It was at a friend's birthday party. The tall, brown skiñ, hour-glass shaped, cat eyes lady got his attention that night. When they got introduced, the chemistry between them was right out of a Hollywood movie script.

After five years of a romantic relationship, he was ready to tie the knot. He was ready to spend the rest of his life with the love of his life. He was sure that she was going to say 'yes'. She was crazy about him.

He opened the door and went on one knee, "Will you marry me?"

She gasped when she saw the red box in his hand. Her brown eyes smarted with tears as she turned to look at him.

"Who is she?" she waved her phone in his face.

The picture of the naked girl in his arms stared back at him. He grimaced. How did she find out?

34 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by Wanderlustafrik: 2:17pm On Aug 13, 2017
I don't know how to quote comments but I have noted the suggestions

1) I think that people will go beyond the first page to read,like and share since they know it's a friendly competition. So it doesn't matter if you're on the first. I love reading and I'm reading the works coming.a fan of one writer already.

2) let's not campaign for likes,try and see how much favour your work can earn you.

Thanks. Still open to suggestions. If it can be moved to front page to generate interest from those that don't visit the literature section. It's fine.

Keep sending in your stories!

2 Likes

Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by Jetjacky(m): 2:22pm On Aug 13, 2017
Emeka:

Emeka ran through the street, his bag and rubber of kerosine laid forgotten at the bus stop. His heart galloped hard as he raced for his home. He couldn't believe what Micheal told him, it couldn't be. He had left his wife Igbere in good health this morning; he could still remember how her lips touched his cheek; the smile that graced her visage; the twinkle of her eyes as she said. “wouldn't want to leave you now with nothing to crave for Baby.”

“No! no no.” his voice died in a whisper. This cannot be. God please; he pleaded within him.

His surrounding bled pass him in a quick blur. He took not into consideration, the faces of those who flew past him, not even his sister Nkechi as she beckoned him with her hand; even the words proceeding out of her mouth were all blurred into the background.

Soon his house stood in faded glory, like a dead leaf within the embrace of fire. His heart heaved, feeling like it was about to explode. His body shook. “Oh God!” he said, buckling to the floor. All he could see was fire, and it had stolen all he loved.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by Jetjacky(m): 2:24pm On Aug 13, 2017
Wanderlustafrik:
I don't know how to quote comments but I have noted the suggestions

1) I think that people will go beyond the first page to read,like and share since they know it's a friendly competition. So it doesn't matter if you're on the first. I love reading and I'm reading the works coming.a fan of one writer already.

2) let's not campaign for likes,try and see how much favour your work can earn you.

Thanks. Still open to suggestions. If it can be moved to front page to generate interest from those that don't visit the literature section. It's fine.

Keep sending in your stories!
Edited: I have included the title.
how can you ensure people won't advocate for likes, even after you have made it clear they shouldn't?

1 Like

Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by Wanderlustafrik: 2:36pm On Aug 13, 2017
If you think a title will help the presentation of your work,then fine. Artist have varying styles of presenting their work. Whichever works best for you.

The readers are still the judges.

If there's a campaign for likes.I'm sure it will be noted wherever it's done.

By Friday night to Sunday night ,we will start scrutinizing the leading candidates and see if any of them has failed any rules. Such as campaigning for likes..and posting something not original.

The internet is there to check originality...I left that to the contestants to detect.

Still open to suggestions but certain we have covered important areas.

Keep sending in your stories.

1 Like

Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by Lilyjoe567(f): 2:41pm On Aug 13, 2017
..........Tears........

Tears, sending a hot burning trail as it cascaded down her cheek with ease, with her doing little or nothing to stop it because it entailed her brokeness with each agonizing drop.

She shook with every blubbery sob as she knelt face down to the ground, pleading for help but her pleas fell on deaf ears cause no one cared no more, nor do they want to get involved. It just gets worse

Has she become mute? Can nobody hear her or come to her aid? She thought as she screamed louder.

It's been going on for a while now, and she could do nothing to stop it as he never listens whenever he's like this. Little wonder why no one came to rescue her anymore. It got old as it was always the same old news, Mr Ade at it again with his wife. It's a miracle she still lives after every episode cause she got the wounds to tell.

The hits never slowing, as it descended heavily with each blow causing a fresh injury. She took the pain because she feels nothing more but that, but just hopes he tires quickly as she could take it no more.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by Wanderlustafrik: 2:43pm On Aug 13, 2017
There is a different competition like this for poetry in the poem section and I'm certain few people have noticed that.

Less competition there......

By Monday, of the few people that contested there, there will Be a winner that will earn his/her/their( for the gender fluid people) prize.

So,has anyone considered the poetry and diary section competition? Same prize but a different closing date for the diary section competition

1 Like

Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by Jetjacky(m): 2:46pm On Aug 13, 2017
Wanderlustafrik:
There is a different competition like this for poetry in the poem section and I'm certain few people have noticed that.

Less competition there......

By Monday, of the few people that contested there, there will Be a winner that will earn his/her/their( for the gender fluid people) prize.

So,has anyone considered the poetry and diary section competition? Same prize but a different closing date for the diary section competition
wow so cool!
Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by GSteve001(m): 2:46pm On Aug 13, 2017
Farmine's Insanity

The boy slept by the street and stirred uneasily. A vulture came close and pecked at his toes, as if to hasten his death. Another landed close by and looked at him greedily. They knew he would be ready for their consumption in no time. The better part of the boy’s back had meshed into the red, dry soil. And the flesh covering his body did little than to cover the outlines of his feeble bones.

When the UN helicopter dropped our food supplies for the week, the people ran as much as their bones could permit and lounged at the new food items with unbroken determination. Those who were too weak to struggle got trampled. That was not an unusual occurrence. I joined the race to death, and managed to savage a dirty loaf of bread and a crushed bottle of mineral water.

I crossed the street and found the hungry little boy alive with a group of vultures strolling about in obvious disappointment. I clutched the loaf of bread and bit it with teary eyes. If I gave him my bread, I would be like him in no time. He was my brother, and my last living relative.

11 Likes

Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by Debbietiyan(f): 3:55pm On Aug 13, 2017
Thanks for the mention Divepen1

Space Booked cool
Re: Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition by AlamienDagash(m): 5:08pm On Aug 13, 2017
THE LITTLE GIRL

"Tu Vas le regretter" she keeps muttering but I've to complete the task, I impassively shoot the little girl.

After I've reached home, I become crossed as I winced how vile I killed her but she is not the first nor the last person I'll murder cuz that's my job.

I was bathing when the light went off, I delve to pick up my phone but at abrupt I touched someone else hand I gasped thankfully the electricity is back but there is no one, I thought it was just my weird imagination, as I turned around I saw the little girl in my blurry mirror smiling as I looked closer she vanished "am I that stoned? I thought.
After I'm done bathing, i walked towards
the do
r but when I reached the door knob someone from the other side was opening it, I looked in horror as the door opens,there wasn't anyone except chuckles and sniggers, I'm hearing a heavy breathing from behind me, I mustered courage and turned around, lo and behold was the little girl dripping in blood " I've told you, you're going to regret this "she said, smirked and cut off my head.

I wake up, it was a petrified dream, my phone bleeps and I picked up the call " hello, I got work for you, you're going to eliminate a little girl tonight and....... I ended the call, I've seen what would be unfold to me if I dare take the job, I solemnly swear henceforth on I'll alter the kind of work I do, the little girl thought me a lesson.

Thanks for reading.

7 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters / Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? / Godspower Oshodin Features On 'Gulf Today' Dubai Magazine (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.