Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,387 members, 7,808,365 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:59 AM

Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books (9342 Views)

Boom For E-commerce As Jumia, Konga Plan $1.5b, $3.2b Ipos / Investors Trade 2.2b Shares Worth N139.8b In Five Days / Three Banks To Take Over Etisalat Nigeria Over N541.8 Billion Debt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by Nobody: 8:17am On Aug 15, 2017
The 12 banks involved in the $1.2 billion 9Mobile loan are setting aside a large part of the debt from their books ahead of the December 31 end-date for the fiscal year.
The mobile company took the loan four years ago from a consortium of banks. It failed to repay the loan due to a currency crisis and the economic recession.

In the deal are: Zenith Bank, GTBank, First Bank, United Bank for Africa, Fidelity Bank, Access Bank, Ecobank, First City Monument Bank, Stanbic IBTC and Union Bank.

Zenith Bank yesterday announced that it had made a provision on 30 per cent of its loan to 9Mobile, the country’s fourth largest telecoms group formerly known as Etisalat Nigeria.

The bank’s Chief Executive Officer, Peter Amangbo, said: “We have taken about 30 per cent … as a provision, which we believe is very prudent as the company is undergoing restructuring … to prepare for a new investor.”

Zenith Bank is the largest lender to 9Mobile, one source familiar with the matter disclosed. The bank has declined to disclose its exposure to the telecoms group. The Tier-1 lender had last week reported a pre-tax profit of N92.18 billion for its half year against N53.91 billion a year ago.

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and the Nigerian Communication Commission (NCC) in July saved Etisalat Nigeria from collapse, stopping the company from going into receivership. But the telecom giant witnessed a board, management and name change.

Former Keystone Bank Executive Director Richard Obire said many other banks were likely to provide for certain percentage of the loans, depending on their profitability positions.

He said Zenith Bank, being a highly profitable bank, was thinking that it might not be able to recover the full money. “Zenith may be considering that when it gets down to negotiation with 9Mobile, it may end up giving about 30 per cent of the debt. The debtor may ask for more restructuring and loan forgiveness,” Obire said.

According to him, some banks are conservative and may want to stay within the five per cent regulatory non-performing loan threshold while some may want to exceed the limit. “Banks that are making more money are more likely to provide for their loans than those with less profitability,” he said.

Obire said by exceeding the 10 per cent peg for sub-standard loans to go for 30 per cent provision, Zenith Bank was indirectly saying that although the loan was not doubtful, but it was more than sub-standard. “If the bank does 30 per cent provision on the loan in 2017, it may do 50 per cent in 2018 while considering the variables surrounding the loans,” he said.

Head Treasuries at Ecobank Nigeria Olakunle Ezun said it is expected that the banks will provide for the loan, which he described as a bad debt. “For now, 9Mobile loan is like a non-performing loan for the banks. I understand that the banks are trying to restructure the loan. If they succeed, it will become a performing loan; otherwise it will have to be provided for in their books,” he said.

He said more banks may provide for the loan by year-end, but such a decision will be determined by the boards and their interpretation of the future of 9Mobile.

According to CBN Prudential Guidelines, banks are expected to review their credit portfolio continuously (at least once in a quarter) with a view to recognising any deterioration in credit quality. Such reviews should systematically and realistically classify banks’ credit exposures based on the perceived risks of default.

To facilitate comparability of banks’ classification of their credit portfolios, the guidelines said assessment of risk of default should be based on criteria, which should include, but are not limited to, repayment performance, borrower’s repayment capacity on the basis of current financial condition and net realisable value of collateral.

The CBN prudential guidelines stipulate that a credit facility should be deemed as non-performing when interest or principal is due and unpaid for 90 days or more; interest payments equal to 90 days interest or more have been capitalized, rescheduled or rolled over into a new loan.

The guideline said a loan can be substandard, doubtful or lost. A loan is subs-standard when unpaid principal and/or interest remain outstanding for more than 90 days but less than 180 days. Credit facilities which display well defined weaknesses which could affect the ability of borrowers to repay, such as inadequate cash flow to service debt, undercapitalisation or insufficient working capital, absence of adequate financial information or collateral documentation, among others, are said to be sub-standard.

According to the CBN guidelines, a loan is classified as doubtful when unpaid principal and/or interest remain outstanding for at least 180 days but less than 360 days and in addition to the weaknesses associated with sub-standard credit facilities reflect that full repayment of the debt is not certain or that realisable collateral values will be insufficient to cover bank’s exposure.

A loan is classified as lost when unpaid principal and/or interest remain outstanding for 360 days or more and in addition to the weaknesses associated with doubtful credit facilities, are considered uncollectible and are of such little value that continuation as a bankable asset is unrealistic.

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/banks-remove-1-2b-9mobile-debt-from-books/

1 Like

Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by froz(m): 7:18am On Aug 16, 2017
They can focus better and meet standards.
Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by Dollabiz: 8:29am On Aug 16, 2017
Hmm
Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by BabaAlabi: 8:32am On Aug 16, 2017
All Nigerians want is a more affordable price for faster internet. Giving 1gb for #1000 is simply stuuuuupid.

1 Like

Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by masada: 8:33am On Aug 16, 2017
them don use style drive etisalat
now they know how to remove bad debt

etisalat sef dey do like ajebo
how did they think mtn survived this long

1 Like

Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by alt3r3g0: 8:36am On Aug 16, 2017
I knew this was a scam to get rid of the Abu Dhabi partners all along.

There is no better deal you can get from what the original partners were proposing.
Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by Marksule(m): 8:36am On Aug 16, 2017
Its a good one
Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by omowolewa: 8:39am On Aug 16, 2017
Best way to go.
Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by baike: 8:40am On Aug 16, 2017
is Now I believe the rich take from the poor

1 Like

Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by Lanre4uonly(m): 8:43am On Aug 16, 2017
I do hope their subscribers can enjoy quality service delivery from them, since their debt has been written off. Anyway, all the best to them.
Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by SkenolProp(m): 8:45am On Aug 16, 2017
Something doesnt seem right about this whole deal.Where is AMCON? angry angry angry #MY PROFILE

1 Like

Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by Bimpe29: 8:57am On Aug 16, 2017
Provision for bad debt it was..
Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by Nobody: 8:58am On Aug 16, 2017
Do you know that if Glo sponsored NYSC..there won't be service? grin

Listen to my new song dedicated to all Nigerian rappers at

https://my.notjustok.com/track/download/id/233002/

Listen to my dope rap freestyle at
https://my.notjustok.com/track/download/id/24670/
Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by chuckdee4(m): 8:59am On Aug 16, 2017
These same banks will not let you owe them a dime on top small loan.
Why are the rules always different for the elite?

1 Like

Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by omololu2020(m): 9:06am On Aug 16, 2017
He
Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by Boldstar(m): 9:06am On Aug 16, 2017
BabaAlabi:
All Nigerians want is a more affordable price for faster internet. Giving 1gb for #1000 is simply stuuuuupid.

Stuuuuupid is when Glo and others sell cheap data to you but you can't use it cos there's poor service.

9mobile is still the best data provider among the big 4 telcos

4 Likes

Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by Boldstar(m): 9:07am On Aug 16, 2017
BabaAlabi:

Stuuuuupid is when Glo and others sell cheap data to you but you can't use it cos there's poor service.

Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by Funkybabee(f): 9:11am On Aug 16, 2017
And you can't do that for ordinary citizen if they owed you and can't be able to repay it

Nigeria!!!!!!
Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by aku626(m): 9:11am On Aug 16, 2017
These banks though.
Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by Segibambo(m): 9:26am On Aug 16, 2017
We’ll be diving head first to creating our first video. In the first part, we looked at a detailed description of the user interface of our choice software, VideoScribe. The basic elements of a whiteboard video being a script/storyboard, voice over and post production process.

Writing your first Script and Story Board

Script

We’ll be making a short script and storyboard for a hypothetical company called Blue-Hyphen, a security solution company that prevents cyber attacks and other related security issues....

Read more... https://www.nairaland.com/3991553/learn-how-create-whiteboard-video
Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by joenor(m): 9:35am On Aug 16, 2017
The banks b many ooo
Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by BabaAlabi: 9:35am On Aug 16, 2017
Boldstar:

You must also be stuuuuupid....What good is 1gb in this modern internet age? That's nothing compared to what some data consumers use daily. Is it a crime to request for more affordable data, that is also fast and reliable? Must Nigerians pay through the nose for basic services readily available in other countries?

2 Likes

Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by seXytOhbAd(m): 9:47am On Aug 16, 2017
grin Please who are they deceiving? Nigerian banks are known for supporting big nonperforming businesses over small performing ones.

1 Like

Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by COMPAQ(m): 10:03am On Aug 16, 2017
BabaAlabi:

You must also be stuuuuupid....What good is 1gb in this modern internet age? That's nothing compared to what some data consumers use daily. Is it a crime to request for more affordable data, that is also fast and reliable? Must Nigerians pay through the nose for basic services readily available in other countries?

Mobile data prices in Nigeria are comparable with those in UK or US.
Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by douchesnozzle(m): 10:06am On Aug 16, 2017
Nice
Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by Boldstar(m): 10:12am On Aug 16, 2017
BabaAlabi:

You see, it's no use arguing with you cos stupidity is written all over what you're saying. First, tell your glo and others who sell cheap data to you to make it fast and reliable. When it's as fast and reliable as that of 9mobile, come back to ask the questions and I'll answer you.

Mumu, you're not using 9mobile but dumping complaints of glo's network ineptitude here
Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by petchi: 10:20am On Aug 16, 2017
pallybrown:
Okay

NNAMDI KANU FORM BIAFRAN ARMY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiiPmvcSK0o
What has this mumu video got to do with what is been discussed here. My brothers it is time you people should get life.

1 Like

Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by BabaAlabi: 10:36am On Aug 16, 2017
Boldstar:

You see, it's no use arguing with you cos stupidity is written all over what you're saying. First, tell your glo and others who sell cheap data to you to make it fast and reliable. When it's as fast and reliable as that of 9mobile, come back to ask the questions and I'll answer you.

Mumu, you're not using 9mobile but dumping complaints of glo's network ineptitude here
First...sorry for calling you stuuuupid. I apologize for directing my anger at telcom companies towards you. Next, I am not supporting glo. I am a firm believer in the japanese theory of 'kaizen', which inherently means continuous improvement. Applying it here means FAST INTERNET + AFFORDABILITY. Glo fails in the former while Etisalat clearly fails in the latter. MTN + Airtel gives out 1.5gb for 1k and #25 for 500mb at night. While this is not the greatest deal ever, it clearly strikes the balance in stark contrast to Glo and Etisalat.
Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by BabaAlabi: 10:41am On Aug 16, 2017
COMPAQ:

Mobile data prices in Nigeria are comparable with those in UK or US.
Maybe before. But with the low standard of living and low purchasing power of the Naira compared to dollars, I believe Nigerians are being fleeced by the telcoms.
Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by 2n2k(m): 12:17pm On Aug 16, 2017
alt3r3g0:
I knew this was a scam to get rid of the Abu Dhabi partners all along.

There is no better deal you can get from what the original partners were proposing.

masada:

them don use style drive etisalat
now they know how to remove bad debt

etisalat sef dey do like ajebo
how did they think mtn survived this long

I hope you understand that making a provision for a loan is a loss to the banks? If all the concerned banks make at least 30% provision, that is N131 billion loss on just one loan in one year.

How is this beneficial to the banks and its shareholders for them to be accused of scamming?
Re: Banks Remove $1.2b 9mobile Debt From Books by alt3r3g0: 12:26pm On Aug 16, 2017
2n2k:

I hope you understand that making a provision for a loan is a loss to the banks? If all the concerned banks make at least 30% provision, that is N131 billion loss on just one loan in one year.

How is this beneficial to the banks and its shareholders for them to be accused of scamming?

The best offer they will take now will definitely be less than the least Etisalat was offering by a long shot.

Unless i am mistaken, the only thing wrong with the Etisalat terms was a review on the initial agreement based on the fall of naira. I hear the banks refused to shift ground and said Etisalat must find dollars from anywhere and pay back in dollars.

If Etisalat were to stick with the first agreement they would still go burst. Imagine having to pay twice what you borrowed and you have not even touched interest rate.

At least at this rate a live dog is better than a dead lion.

Someone once said that a person that owes a lot of people does not need to pray for life. Because all the people he/she is owing are fervently praying they live long to repay their debts.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Did You Spend Any Of These Currencies? / Breaking: Presidency Vows To Recover $7 B CBN Bailout To Banks / How To Create And Activate A Wise Account In Nigeria in 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.