Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,370 members, 7,781,032 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:46 AM

Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. - Autos (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. (25430 Views)

Car Dealers Can Still Make Money In This Lockdown Period!!! Check It Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by Durosure(m): 10:06pm On Aug 15, 2017
This serious oj
Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by erico2k2(m): 10:13pm On Aug 15, 2017
aboyaji:
I've been a fan of automobiles which leaves me all night studying different kinds of automobiles. Most times, I sleep on Nairaland Auto section and some other sites. Not that I'm looking out for the one to buy, though. I also visit YouTube to see how a particular car really works and what people say about it.

Here are some things car dealers won't tell their customers.

Accidented cars: This is self explanatory. Dealers would not open up to a novice who wants to purchase a car. The customer would be left with getting the accidented car and facing the challenges that might arise from buying it.

Converted ( from right-hand to left-hand drive): So many people in Nigeria do not know that cars are being converted as they come in. Some come are right hand, while most, left hand which fits our road network and operation. This conversation has some disadvantages.
Car dealers handle this conversation prior bringing it to the stand for sales. Though, the conversation may not be obvious, but the hidden truth will surely surface. Example, a tokunbo converted car will give out a strange vibration of jerking experience after 6 months use or less, depending on the usage. A whole lot of disadvantages are there.

Odometer reading : Falsification of the mileage reading of cars has been the order of the day by dealers. There's actually a device which when plugged to a certain part of a vehicle, helps roll back the mileage of vehicles. Most times New cars have a certain odometer reading which are not always high. But how can you decide to sell a Tokunbo car whose odometer is lower than that of a new one? AYEW A WITCH OR WIZARD?

The main reason for selling a particular vehicle : Here's when you've decided to be drenched in the showers of lies. Here's when you'd be familiar with the word "trust me". And whenever you hear that word, run away immediately. Unless you know about cars.

I study things I'm interested in and ask questions where necessary so as to get a glimpse of what I'm about going into. Hope you do the same.

Add yours.
OP, what part of a car do you think would vibrate after conversion from RHD to LHD

1 Like

Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by erico2k2(m): 10:14pm On Aug 15, 2017
Sniper12:
I once googled my car VIN and it linked me to a website my car was offered for sale. Had been involved in 2 head on accidents. I shock. Car has given no issues in 2 years sha.
Fact is, if your car has NO
Flood,Fire and structural damage, you got nothing to fear.
Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by erico2k2(m): 10:16pm On Aug 15, 2017
xnsandrxns:
I used to believe the mileage data till an experience dealer told me it could be manipulated

Except you buy a new car, you can't be sure of what you are getting
your mileage is stored on your ECU, unless this has been changed.
So your service history will show the real mileage of the car.
Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by erico2k2(m): 10:19pm On Aug 15, 2017
Lanrelorry:
Sometimes I laugh at people's conclusion regarding cars from auctions sites. Let's be realistic, in the present day economy how many people can afford a non accidented car? for example a 2005 Toyota Corolla, visit sites like Craigslist.org, carguru.com and convert the money to Naira, then add the cost of shipping and clearing. You need to appreciate the fact that you still can afford a nice car without breaking the bank and mind you not all cars from the auction are as bad the way the op painted it.. I import cars from the USA and this year alone I have sold over 200 units and people are still buying.
This was why Istopped selling cars, the profits are not realistic unless you join the fast lane.landing cost of my last car was N920K, I sold for N1,000,0050. profit less than N100k for up to 7 months, is that not lubish

4 Likes

Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by calculusx(m): 10:20pm On Aug 15, 2017
fullstreets:

My brother, it is his hard earned money, no way he can buy it having the knowledge that the car was accidented.

It boils down to Transparency on the part of the Dealer and also been realistic on the part of the buyer. We importers know how these things works. Look at the links, there is more than what meets the eye in importation of Cars. So far so good, his Vehicle is up n running with no issue.

Some will tell you they have a budget of 3m for 2010 Highlander. Except if he point a gun on someone's head

https://www.nairaland.com/3930958/sold....tin-can-cleared-2009-toyota-camry

https://www.nairaland.com/3880864/sold...tin-can-cleared-2010-toyota-corolla

https://www.nairaland.com/3856210/sold...tin-can-cleared-2007-toyota-rav-4

If I go by autocheck report of these vehicles, I won't move an inch to buy them. You will be surprised some were just coupled with their parts and are back on the Road
Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by Vuvuzela101: 10:28pm On Aug 15, 2017
I ordered Toyota highlander 2006 model from a lagos car dealer in 2014 and the mileage was about 87,000. They assured me that everything about the car was in perfect condition.
I independently did a car fax on the car and found out the following. Undercarriage accident, side fender accident. Mileage 126,000. When I showed the picture and car fax to the dealer using the Vin no. he was shocked. Though I eventually bought the car and no issues since then. I saw the accident signs and the perfection of repainting was so perfect.
Most cars sold in Nigeria are salvage cars or accidented though you could be lucky.

1 Like

Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by InvertedHammer: 10:29pm On Aug 15, 2017
It will not be a problem if you know what to look for:

1. Unrealistic odometer reading. 10 years vehicle with 60k miles? Yeah right.
2. Accidented and resprayed vehicless are easy to tell.
3. Flooded vehicles are easy to detect.

If in doubt, pay an eagle-eyed inspector to take a look.
\

1 Like

Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by profsomebody(m): 1:58am On Aug 16, 2017
Lanrelorry:
Sometimes I laugh at people's conclusion regarding cars from auctions sites. Let's be realistic, in the present day economy how many people can afford a non accidented car? for example a 2005 Toyota Corolla, visit sites like Craigslist.org, carguru.com and convert the money to Naira, then add the cost of shipping and clearing. You need to appreciate the fact that you still can afford a nice car without breaking the bank and mind you not all cars from the auction are as bad the way the op painted it.. I import cars from the USA and this year alone I have sold over 200 units and people are still buying.
How do you sell so easily? 200 units in 8 months ain't no joke. I'm also a car dealer but it's been rough here. Mind sharing what works for you?
Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by onward4life(m): 5:48am On Aug 16, 2017
aboyaji:
I've been a fan of automobiles which leaves me all night studying different kinds of automobiles. Most times, I sleep on Nairaland Auto section and some other sites. Not that I'm looking out for the one to buy, though. I also visit YouTube to see how a particular car really works and what people say about it.

Here are some things car dealers won't tell their customers.

Accidented cars: This is self explanatory. Dealers would not open up to a novice who wants to purchase a car. The customer would be left with getting the accidented car and facing the challenges that might arise from buying it.

Converted ( from right-hand to left-hand drive): So many people in Nigeria do not know that cars are being converted as they come in. Some come are right hand, while most, left hand which fits our road network and operation. This conversation has some disadvantages.
Car dealers handle this conversation prior bringing it to the stand for sales. Though, the conversation may not be obvious, but the hidden truth will surely surface. Example, a tokunbo converted car will give out a strange vibration of jerking experience after 6 months use or less, depending on the usage. A whole lot of disadvantages are there.

Odometer reading : Falsification of the mileage reading of cars has been the order of the day by dealers. There's actually a device which when plugged to a certain part of a vehicle, helps roll back the mileage of vehicles. Most times New cars have a certain odometer reading which are not always high. But how can you decide to sell a Tokunbo car whose odometer is lower than that of a new one? AYEW A WITCH OR WIZARD?

The main reason for selling a particular vehicle : Here's when you've decided to be drenched in the showers of lies. Here's when you'd be familiar with the word "trust me". And whenever you hear that word, run away immediately. Unless you know about cars.

I study things I'm interested in and ask questions where necessary so as to get a glimpse of what I'm about going into. Hope you do the same.

Add yours.

Hello
Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by Angeleye5(m): 8:03am On Aug 16, 2017
1. They Bring a registered 2010 model of a car, upgrade it by changing the headlamps,bumper,fender and tail lights. and now pronounce it to be 2016 mode or even latestl. making twice the money they bought the car. gulible buyers will just fall for it.
Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by AlwaysUltraPad: 8:33am On Aug 16, 2017
Sniper12:
I once googled my car VIN and it linked me to a website my car was offered for sale. Had been involved in 2 head on accidents. I shock. Car has given no issues in 2 years sha.
make I check this car quickly shocked
Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by dandollar1: 9:14am On Aug 16, 2017
calculusx:

Not all accidented cars are bad in their entirety. Moreso, autocheck report are been exagerated by insurance adjuster at times so that owner can get a good claim from insurance coy.

For every accidented vehicle, once tyranny and engine are not affected, every other damage are secondary
Not entirely true. I had a car that was involved in an accident that affected it's chasis. The passanger side was always out of alignment.

2 Likes

Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by erico2k2(m): 10:17am On Aug 16, 2017
Angeleye5:
1. They Bring a registered 2010 model of a car, upgrade it by changing the headlamps,bumper,fender and tail lights. and now pronounce it to be 2016 mode or even latestl. making twice the money they bought the car. gulible buyers will just fall for it.
That only happen to naive people . My advice take a person who has got a.clue with you plus Google same make model of same year.compare internal pic cos even though you can upgrade the outside . You sure can not upgrade the inside
Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by erico2k2(m): 10:18am On Aug 16, 2017
dandollar1:
Not entirely true. I had a car that was involved in an accident that affected it's chasis. The passanger side was always out of alignment.
Any vehicle with chasis damage is scrap.you are not meant to repair it.that's criminal grin

1 Like

Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by aboyaji(m): 4:28pm On Aug 16, 2017
onward4life:

Hello Aboyaji.

I use God name take beg yu. We fit chatt on whatsapp I get some tins to asked yu question about cars(golf 3) abeg yu I have now till this evening to respond what looks as a breakthrough this lecession!

Abeg @Yaji help me

Hello, I'm not a veteran in cars. Just quote me and ask whatsoever is or are the questions.
Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by onward4life(m): 6:11pm On Aug 16, 2017
aboyaji:

Hello, I'm not a veteran in cars. Just quote me and ask whatsoever is or are the questions.

OK Sorri sir

Honestly I hav a golf tiri long hatchback that someone is selling for 4H. I donno bout cars sha but I needed someone tu advice me tins!
Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by aboyaji(m): 6:24pm On Aug 16, 2017
onward4life:

OK Sorri sir

Honestly I hav a golf tiri long hatchback that someone is selling for 4H. I donno bout cars sha but I needed someone tu advice me tins!
ok, chat me up on 080 69 310 308
Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by computerglobal(m): 6:53am On Aug 17, 2017

it’s important to arm yourself with the best vehicle report available to make the right decision. With computerglobal you will instantly receive an accurate vehicle history report

Call/Sms your 17 vin no characters to 08060365068

Email us check here for our email address www.nairaland.com/computerglobal

1 Share

Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by Lanrelorry: 8:55am On Aug 17, 2017
profsomebody:

How do you sell so easily? 200 units in 8 months ain't no joke. I'm also a car dealer but it's been rough here. Mind sharing what works for you?

It's takes some marketing strategy. I don't have a car lot but I have different car dealers that I work with. I usually sell at cheaper prices, there are lot of competitions out there so the only way to win and win big is to sell cheap and even at that I still make reasonable returns. I sometimes don't make my projected return on some vehicles but as long as I am breaking even I let go and sometimes I have more than my projected returns. So it's kinda fun when you understand this concept.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by CarGuidNG: 10:25pm On Dec 15, 2018
www.nairaland.com/attachments/8259633_20181204074426_jpeg0f9ad7667952a057c56d92bac45c026d

Premium and Customized Vehicle History Checks and Reports for car dealers, buyers and owners.

Ensure you don't end up with a vehicle with dangerous and hidden damage history.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/8283457_20181208055417_gif59ab6b8d471b81db9cd98704fedfd8df

Contact CarGuideNG via WhatsApp
Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by Computergloba: 2:57am On Dec 16, 2018
computerglobal:

it’s important to arm yourself with the best vehicle report available to make the right decision. With computerglobal you will instantly receive an accurate vehicle history report

Call/Sms your 17 vin no characters to 08060365068

Email us check here for our email address www.nairaland.com/computerglobal

1 Share

Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by legalwealth(m): 2:00am On Jan 06, 2019
erico2k2:

This was why Istopped selling cars, the profits are not realistic unless you join the fast lane.landing cost of my last car was N920K, I sold for N1,000,0050. profit less than N100k for up to 7 months, is that not lubish

Some dubious and ripping off dealers are now making as high as 200% profit on the cars they bring into Nigeria.

Read https://www.nairaland.com/4937889/all-car-dealers on what I said regarding what dealers should be doing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by legalwealth(m): 2:05am On Jan 06, 2019
Angeleye5:

It is not until they do the upgrading stuff. They could import dirty cheap lemon vehicles to make twice the money they bought it.
Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by legalwealth(m): 2:12am On Jan 06, 2019
dandollar1:

Any dealer importing such vehicles with destroyed chasis should be jailed when caught.

Also! I personally think that any car with more than 1 accident should be a No No because report will only show pictures of the second accident.
Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by legalwealth(m): 11:33am On Jan 07, 2019
Think about this! !!

Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by oroboweightloss: 1:47pm On Jul 12, 2019
i can tell you the basic problem is the poor economy ...if i may ask , how much did you buy the car ? if you had seen that car for the proper amount , assuming the dealer didnt rip you off ,most Nigerians cannot afford it .. that explains the reason Nigeria is the dumping ground. Nigerians want to drive big cars , at all cost , so seeing one with a cheaper cost than the usual is always enticing ...but it cannot be at that price after importation and duties paid , if it has not been rejected by the 'proper ' economies .
Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by oroboweightloss: 1:55pm On Jul 12, 2019
Lanrelorry:

It's takes some marketing strategy. I don't have a car lot but I have different car dealers that I work with. I usually sell at cheaper prices, there are lot of competitions out there so the only way to win and win big is to sell cheap and even at that I still make reasonable returns. I sometimes don't make my projected return on some vehicles but as long as I am breaking even I let go and sometimes I have more than my projected returns. So it's kinda fun when you understand this concept.
would you mind an apprenticeship for a fee to you ?
Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by erico2k2(m): 2:02pm On Jul 12, 2019
oroboweightloss:
would you mind an apprenticeship for a fee to you ?
U sent me a message, I can't access it as I have lost the Email I used in 2007 when I joined Nairaland, so you got to ask me on here
Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by greggng: 2:05pm On Jul 12, 2019
xnsandrxns:
I used to believe the mileage data till an experience dealer told me it could be manipulated

Except you buy a new car, you can't be sure of what you are getting

Millage can be manipulated or what we called rolled back....is a criminal offense in USA but Nigerian do it to deceive buyers. Vin check is the best way of knowing.
Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by oroboweightloss: 4:49pm On Jul 12, 2019
erico2k2:

U sent me a message, I can't access it as I have lost the Email I used in 2007 when I joined Nairaland, so you got to ask me on here
Trying to get my feet wet in the car business , happy to hear your experience. If you are in the UK , which your profile says you are , i can arrange to meet up in person or call you on your mobile . Thanks for your help as always . ..Dr Madu .
Re: Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. by erico2k2(m): 5:18pm On Jul 12, 2019
oroboweightloss:

Trying to get my feet wet in the car business , happy to hear your experience. If you are in the UK , which your profile says you are , i can arrange to meet up in person or call you on your mobile . Thanks for your help as always . ..Dr Madu .
Im in the Uk

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

»»» Sold!!! Toks Mazda3 08 @ N1.9M Non Negotiable ««« / 2015 Model Benz S550 4matic Fully Loaded And Super Luxury Car. / Clean And Cool Rides Here Click Here To View Them & Make A Choice: You Welcome.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.