Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,633 members, 7,801,827 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:48 AM

7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike (21166 Views)

FG Okay Reopening Of Schools While ASUU Frown At It / ASUU Is A Problem Of The Nigerian University System - Prof. Ochonnu / 11 Funny Things Nigerian Students Can Relate To. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by Opinionated: 4:28pm On Aug 15, 2017
It has been a few years since students in Nigerians had to deal with long-term strikes; and just at the moment we thought the era of students having to stay an extra 2 to 3 years in school due to unnecessary strikes by championed by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) was over, they strike again.

It certainly felt like Deja Vu when the National President Of The Union, Dr. Biodun Ogunyemi, announced this on Monday at a meeting of the National Executive Council (NEC) of ASUU in Abuja that there would be an indefinite strike and that during the strike, there will be no teaching, no examination and no attendance of statutory meetings of any kind in any of the union’s branches across the country.

There is some value in ASUU going on strike. They hope that issues such as payment of fractions/ non-payment of salaries, as well as Earned Academic Allowances (EAA); refusal to release the operational license of NUPEMCO; and the non-implementation of the provisions of the 2014 Pension Reform Act with respect to retired professors and their salaries, will be sorted.

It is easy for affected students to get into a lazy mode, where they sit around doing nothing or just meshing the entire time into one long continual nap fest…wasting valuable time and making no positive strides in their life all through the period of the strike.

If you are one of the affected students and you are wondering how you could possibly make this “indefinite” time worth your while, you may want to consider a handy list of helpful suggestions.

Start a Business
There is no age too young for becoming an entrepreneur. Use this period at home to start a small business. You could either sell products or render a service. The good thing is that you do not necessarily need a large capital to get yourself started. You also have the social media as a very important promotional tool.

You could start a home cleaning service or food delivery service…there are so many options.

Managing a business gives you a lot of opportunities to gain a lot of experience with will be beneficial when you eventually conclude your studies.

Learn a new skill
You finally have the time to learn a new skill. It could be photography, jewelry making, learning to play an instrument like the saxophone or guitar, baking, writing and producing music or playing a sport like football, tennis or volleyball. Take the time to learn it and get really good at it. Not only does it give you an edge and provide opportunities for a side hustle, it will help build your self-confidence and give you value for time invested.

Enroll for a professional certification course

The university might be closed but there are other avenues for learning. You can enroll in short courses online or for professional classes that will grant you certain qualifications that may become relevant in future. Even if you do not have the money to pay for these courses, you can go for free ones on portals like Coursera or Edx.
You don’t necessarily have to get a certificate; the idea is to acquire new knowledge that will be relevant to your career goals or aspirations.

Get a job
While you are at home, you might as well make a little money. Get a job as an intern or assistant in an office or company. You can even get a job as a paid apprentice at a salon or creative studio. Even more, you may decide to go for something freelance like writing or blogging.

The beauty of the internet is that you can get connected to so many job opportunities without necessarily breaking a sweat. The money made may not be the kind that will set you up for life, but it may be enough for extra chills…and then again, working would be fun and educational. You learn the value of time and money and attain the essence of work ethic and work culture.

Volunteer
Volunteering is a great way to give back to the society or just do some good with your time. You can volunteer at NGOs or religious organizations, where the aim is to help others and better the society.

You could also get involved in a number of empowerment programs tailored for young people where certain skillsets you possess may be needed.

There is a measure of accomplishment and sense of fufilment that comes with serving humanity. It also exposes you to great opportunities like training, travel e.t.c.

Travel
There is never a bad time to travel. As a student, you may not have a lot of resources available for long leisurely trips, but you can visit another state within the country or just other cities within your state. Travelling can be fun and educational at the same time for students.

It is also a great way for students to learn more about the world around you and open yourself to alternative cultures tradition and lifestyles. You could travel to other African cities or continents if you can afford it or you have a sponsor as well. The important thing though, is that you keep your ear on the ground while on your travels, so you are well informed when the strike is called off.

Attend seminars and personal development events
The period at home maybe offer a great opportunity to improve on your social skills. Attend conferences and seminars as well as events. It does not have to be professional or vocational seminars or events. It could be events that offer opportunities to explore your hobbies or just enjoy yourself. Also, it offers opportunities for networking and exposes you to new connections. It could be book readings, slam poetry competitions, meetups, concerts e.t.c

The truth is that being on an “indefinite” strike sucks; however, being positive about how you spin it, could make the time really worth your while. Can you think of other ways students can engage themselves pending when ASUU calls off the strike?

source: http://www.opinions.ng/7-things-nigerian-students-can-ASUU-strike/

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by MhizzAJ(f): 4:28pm On Aug 15, 2017
Cool
Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by Isaacmacdon(m): 4:34pm On Aug 15, 2017
Hmm, very elaborate...
Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by Narldon: 7:06pm On Aug 15, 2017
[b]UNN FEMALE GRADUATE CONFESSES OF HOW HER HANDS ARE SOILED WITH BLOOD OF STUDENTS

A Fresh female graduate of UNN, name withheld, who just finished her degree exams opened up to confess of how she has been involved in killings going on in the University , especially her hostel... shocked

She said that she has been involved in this act since her First year, and has actually lost counts of how many people's blood she has in her hands. She was initiated into this act when she packed into the Female Hostel, where she spent her university days. cry

In her confessions, she refused to mention names but said that even the blood of her room mate is in her hands.. shocked cry

*This was what she said, "Why would I not have blood of people in my hands when I don't have insecticide treated net or money to waste on "tusa tusa" and expensive insecticides. Every night, some mosquitoes after sucking blood of other students will fly into my room and in my usual act of reading at night, I use to be awake. I will see them, trace them and use my two hand to jam them into my palms and then my hands will be soiled with the blood of students they have already sucked.*

*Pls my people, join me to beg d management to come and fumigate our hostels. There are lots of mosquitoes and rodents and they are making life unbearable*...

See as you got tensed reading this! Una too like bad news!

grin

[/b]

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by AlwaysPad(m): 7:06pm On Aug 15, 2017
With all these u listed kwa?

What if the strike is called off tomorrow?

It's as if you already have an assurance that our irresponsible government wouldn't solve the crisis anytime soon

Which way Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by amamahdaniel(m): 7:06pm On Aug 15, 2017
Nothing is working in this country. Education is in shambles
right from the primary level. In public schools, especially
higher institutions, you only know when you gain
admission, you can never predict when you will graduate.
Nigerian students "study" under pressure and tension here
with little or nothing to show for it but once they cross the
ocean to the land of "human being", you see them excelling.
Nigeria is WACK!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by yinkard4me(m): 7:06pm On Aug 15, 2017
The federal govt shd bury dis issue once and for all.

4 Likes

Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by KingLennon(m): 7:06pm On Aug 15, 2017
Bet9ja shop go full this days grin. grin. Make ASUU strike anybody wer say we no go make am

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by NwaAmaikpe: 7:07pm On Aug 15, 2017
shocked

Use this strike to visit Benin city.

Ask a few questions and you might find someone willing to take you to Libya.
From there to Italy.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by veekid(m): 7:07pm On Aug 15, 2017
Yahoo lo sure ju

1 Like

Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by adaksbullet: 7:07pm On Aug 15, 2017
undecided
Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by onosprince(m): 7:08pm On Aug 15, 2017
Use the remaining feeding money to play nairabet cheesy
Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by sotall(m): 7:08pm On Aug 15, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Use this strike to visit Benin city.

Ask a few questions and you might find someone willing to take you to Libya.
From there to Italy.
I know you were going to spew something gibberish

4 Likes

Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by Firefire(m): 7:08pm On Aug 15, 2017
This government is a complete failure

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by bonifieldstun(m): 7:09pm On Aug 15, 2017
Narldon:
shocked 'l
lol coconut head
Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by Idango(m): 7:09pm On Aug 15, 2017
I have experienced ASUU strikes lasting up to 6 months. Within that period one can actually earn a certificate, learn a trade or plant a crop and harvest it.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by itiswellandwell: 7:10pm On Aug 15, 2017
Good. You can as well partner with us on our CUSTOMIZED ATM CARD FLASH DRIVE ID CARD FOR SCHOOL. GO GET THE DEAL, BRING US THE DEAL AND WE GET IT DONE AND YOU MAKE YOUR SCHOOL. There are lots of schools that will appreciate this new and nice concept as it will make them stand out. Reach out to them today and lets make that money together.

Check my signature for your CUSTOMISED ATM CARD FLASH DRIVE ID CARD.
Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by Jics(m): 7:11pm On Aug 15, 2017
I am glad we Nigerians are beginning to think like this. We have begin to realise that we need to be problem solvers and not sit back to waste our time expecting the government to take care of our future. I am sure the wise students will see the open secret in this. The future is now. We don't pray for ASUU to strike but now that the government is poor and demands may not be easily met, the wise will invest this time. Education should not be an hindrance to our learning.
Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by ahamadegr8(m): 7:13pm On Aug 15, 2017
and dose yeye slay queen go de tempt guys with deir ass and boobs

in otherr news

Today marks 100 days since President Buhari began his UK medical vacation. And there is still no disclosure of the nature of his illness
Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by zinachidi(m): 7:14pm On Aug 15, 2017
Where person wan see the job to begin with? Me am very much interested in any paid job available. As an intern or PA,.No matter how little, but shuooo... Make I go learn G work jare.

Just kidding. If anybody dey find intern or PA shaa, holla @ ur boy.
Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by Oladipo1166(m): 7:15pm On Aug 15, 2017
Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by jericco1(m): 7:15pm On Aug 15, 2017
Yea, nice.
Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by naninwa007: 7:15pm On Aug 15, 2017
Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by MicroBox: 7:17pm On Aug 15, 2017
Don't go get a job..
Don't go do business. ..
Don't go to seminars. ...
Don't travel. ...
Don't go volunteer. ...
But Go learn a new skill
Go learn a new trade
Go learn something new....
Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by Oladipo1166(m): 7:18pm On Aug 15, 2017
nice one op

Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by TourismMan(m): 7:18pm On Aug 15, 2017
AlwaysPad:
With all these u listed kwa?

What if the strike is called off tomorrow?

It's as if you already have an assurance that our irresponsible government wouldn't solve the crisis anytime soon

Which way Nigeria?

The guy is so certain that the strike will last not a day shorter than 7 months based on antecedence. Dis country Taya me no be small. I wish I've graduated before this shi!t.
Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by Nobody: 7:19pm On Aug 15, 2017
Get preggo
Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by hakeem4(m): 7:21pm On Aug 15, 2017
The best advice I can give you is for you to port to private school next jamb grin

But you've spent 8 years for a 4 year course now you're in final year ..... don't bother porting

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by Greatzeus(m): 7:23pm On Aug 15, 2017
During my undergraduate days,After ASUU strike,girls used to return to school with pregnancy,and I use to wonder why,now I understand grin
An idle mind is the devil's workshop grin
Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by Anikulhapo(m): 7:24pm On Aug 15, 2017
Yahoo all through
Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by Consray(f): 7:25pm On Aug 15, 2017
Narldon:
[b]UNN FEMALE GRADUATE CONFESSES OF HOW HER HANDS ARE SOILED WITH BLOOD OF STUDENTS

A Fresh female graduate of UNN, name withheld, who just finished her degree exams opened up to confess of how she has been involved in killings going on in the University , especially her hostel... shocked

She said that she has been involved in this act since her First year, and has actually lost counts of how many people's blood she has in her hands. She was initiated into this act when she packed into the Female Hostel, where she spent her university days. cry

In her confessions, she refused to mention names but said that even the blood of her room mate is in her hands.. shocked cry

*This was what she said, "Why would I not have blood of people in my hands when I don't have insecticide treated net or money to waste on "tusa tusa" and expensive insecticides. Every night, some mosquitoes after sucking blood of other students will fly into my room and in my usual act of reading at night, I use to be awake. I will see them, trace them and use my two hand to jam them into my palms and then my hands will be soiled with the blood of students they have already sucked.*

*Pls my people, join me to beg d management to come and fumigate our hostels. There are lots of mosquitoes and rodents and they are making life unbearable*...

See as you got tensed reading this! Una too like bad news!

grin

[/b]
i want to cry.......somebody should please just get me my handkerchief!
Re: 7 Things Nigerian Students Can Do While ASUU Is On Strike by Federov(m): 7:29pm On Aug 15, 2017
Okay cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

In Memory Of The Aluu Four Boys / Senate Passes Bills Establishing 3 Universities / Kaduna Pupils Protest Over Planned Sack Of 21,000 Teachers That Failed Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.