Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,759 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:58 PM

Avatar - First Movie To Gross $2 Billion - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Avatar - First Movie To Gross $2 Billion (1709 Views)

Trailer For AY's First Movie '30 Days In Atlanta'. / Avatar; The Legend Of Korra.... / What Was The First Movie You Watched In 2013? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Avatar - First Movie To Gross $2 Billion by truthseeka: 11:25am On Feb 16, 2010
I keep wondering why Avatar is the first movie since Titanic to gross a revenue of $2,351,605,000 (Wikipedia as at today 16.02.10) all just from a budget of $237 million.

Is it because of it somewhat uncommon genre?

Is it because of it visceral storyline?

Is it because of it dazzling CGI & SFX?

Is it because of the kind of feeling and empathy it draws from its viewers?

Is it because of the animosity the movie draws from some viewers towards the white man's indifferent attitude to (if it comes to it) wipe out any Na'vi tribe sitting on the gold they covet which in the fictional movie case is 'Unobtanium'.

OR FINALLY

Is it because of what someone elderly told me who up till now hasn't watched it - He personally think the movie [Avatar] boomed that very much simply because of it title 'Avatar' an Hindu word meaning the manifestation or appearance of a deity, (Isn't that the saving Eywa in the movie). He further explained its connection to Hinduism in terms of movie title comparison in that It is only movie that bears title relating to traditional faith that can only sell that well.

What do you think?
Re: Avatar - First Movie To Gross $2 Billion by jessefly: 11:48am On Feb 16, 2010
i think d movie sold dat much because of how their hair connects to evrything including d earth,
c no one has eva thot bout dat b4 wink cool
Re: Avatar - First Movie To Gross $2 Billion by truthseeka: 9:57am On Feb 17, 2010
jessefly:

i think d movie sold dat much because of how their hair connects to evrything including d earth,
c no one has eva thot bout dat b4 wink cool

To a certain degree i agree with you, the na'vi connecting hair is exclusive and exceptional and also the human controlled mech robot fighters coincinding with the soldiers movement is also innovative but i still think that shouldn't be the sole basis the movie sold that much.
Re: Avatar - First Movie To Gross $2 Billion by jessefly: 12:06pm On Feb 17, 2010
well u cant said it sold because it was frm cameron, cos he was not heard of very much prior to this movie
anyhow i fil dat d sale culd be dat people connected to d film, existing in anoda body n 1ce again dat hair connecting thing grin
Re: Avatar - First Movie To Gross $2 Billion by truthseeka: 1:07pm On Feb 17, 2010
jessefly, do u mean Avatar-type-of-movies are going to be coming out in the future? well crafted and futuristic as a matter of fact.
Re: Avatar - First Movie To Gross $2 Billion by uchdazzle: 3:52pm On Feb 17, 2010
smiley
Re: Avatar - First Movie To Gross $2 Billion by jessefly: 3:59pm On Feb 17, 2010
truthseeka:

jessefly, do u mean Avatar-type-of-movies are going to be coming out in the future? well crafted and futuristic as a matter of fact.
nah any1 dat ventures (avatar-type-movies) dere mite not make it, lest cameron does a sequel, as to futuristic movies we c dat a lot, but wat i knw is dat any new idea is def d only thing dat brings bestsellers, checkout hangover for instance
Re: Avatar - First Movie To Gross $2 Billion by obinna5000(m): 7:53pm On Feb 17, 2010
Hollywood is not like Nollywood that has bandwagon approach to movies (because Avatar was so successful, therefore every other movie that will be made will be like Avatar). And thats where I agree with jessefly.

If Mr. Cameron is planning to do a sequel to the movie, let it have a better and exciting storyline.
Re: Avatar - First Movie To Gross $2 Billion by ravenzord(m): 12:27am On Feb 18, 2010
obinna5000:

Hollywood is not like Nollywood that has bandwagon approach to movies (because Avatar was so successful, therefore every other movie that will be made will be like Avatar). And thats where I agree with jessefly.

If Mr. Cameron is planning to do a sequel to the movie, let it have a better and exciting storyline.

True talk, Avatar's storyline was mundane. . .and racist angry.
Re: Avatar - First Movie To Gross $2 Billion by truthseeka: 11:56am On Feb 18, 2010
Please let's don't stray away from the point of discussion, the topic again is What made Avatar a multi-blockbuster. Due to some research I did online some critics attributed its success to its 3D viewing technology at the theater in terms of cost of a ticket, do you guys agree to that  or what do you think? By the way Nollywood is crap.
Re: Avatar - First Movie To Gross $2 Billion by truthseeka: 12:35pm On Feb 18, 2010
obinna5000:

Avata story line was never mundane nor racist, its just purely fiction that contains some worldly facts.
Re: Avatar - First Movie To Gross $2 Billion by jessefly: 3:14pm On Feb 18, 2010
yeah lik wat som pple r doin to odas lipsrsealed
Re: Avatar - First Movie To Gross $2 Billion by truthseeka: 7:36pm On Feb 18, 2010
jessefly:

yeah lik wat som pple r doin to odas lipsrsealed
Like what kind of a thing are they doing to others if you may expatiate?
Re: Avatar - First Movie To Gross $2 Billion by jessefly: 12:22pm On Feb 22, 2010
4giv me but dnt even 4gtten why i pasted dat comment, but u heard dat camroen wil b making a sequel on avatar
Re: Avatar - First Movie To Gross $2 Billion by tpia01: 10:44pm On Dec 28, 2014
truthseeka:
Please let's don't stray away from the point of discussion, the topic again is What made Avatar a multi-blockbuster. Due to some research I did online some critics attributed its success to its 3D viewing technology at the theater in terms of cost of a ticket, do you guys agree to that  or what do you think?.

the 3d was great but people probably also found the storyline very interesting.

(1) (Reply)

Have You Heard About The Latest Movie, TV Soaps, Or Stage Play Auditions? / The Next Movie Star Season 9 / Arnold Schwarzenegger No More!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.