Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,858 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:31 PM

My Experience As A Produce Marketer - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Experience As A Produce Marketer (3008 Views)

UK Rejects Consignment Of Agric Produce From Nigeria / My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer / My Experience About Snail Farming, Pictures, Etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience As A Produce Marketer by hoyze24: 1:15pm On Aug 16, 2017
It was less than a year ago, as a young graduate who had just finished NYSC, I told my folks I wanted to go into farming. The reactions were terrible especially that of my mum, she looked so disappointed. I knew deep down she felt so ashamed of me and all her thoughts would be how can you decide to go into farming with your second class upper honors in Electrical and Electronics Engineering? They all knew I was an intelligent kid; I literally beat over 200 applicants to get placement as an intern in a leading telco in 2014. Even before NYSC, I had a good job with a decent salary. It was obvious getting a job after service wasn’t going to be difficult as I had made enough connections in my past workplaces. However, telling them that wasn’t the big shocker, it was when I revealed my proposed location that made them shout I needed deliverance. They must have thought I’d been caught by some village people. It was a really difficult decision to make, I had only been in Benue state once, knew just someone and there was crisis in some parts of the state at the time. I was young and broke, all I had was the idea of changing the lives of some rural farmers and it kept resounding in my mind all through the dark period of the situation with my folks. My mum almost cried her eyes out. Watching me leave was a sad day for her, no amount of persuasion and emotional displays were enough to stop me. Deep down, I was so scared of what if it didn’t work out, what if something go wrong, could this be me? I struggled to hold back tears as it was obvious the wave I got from my dad was an indication of the thought that we might never meet again. Everyone was scared of what could happen, even I was more scared but there was no way I would rescind my decision. Getting to my proposed location wasn’t easy but I had made up my mind I was going to succeed no matter what happens. I had read over a hundred books, articles and publications on different value chains in agriculture and I couldn’t be totally wrong on deciding to leave my comfort zone. The first challenge I encountered was the language barrier; few people could communicate in pidgin and English. I still wasn’t deterred, rather I used that as a strength, I made them realize I was eager to learn their language as soon as possible and I needed each person to teach me something every time we meet. Fast forward to harvest time, I went into marketing of yam with literally no income, only thing I had was the farmers’ loyalty and trust. I took yams from them and transported it to the south east and south where I sold at reasonable prices. I started making profit in no time and the farmers were happy because they got more than they would have with previous marketers. After two months, I introduced some of my friends to the business and they invested little to test the waters and they were glad they did. In four months, I had made enough money to start my dream of setting up mechanized communal farms and providing extension services to the villagers. I was introduced to farmers in a neighboring village who wanted me to also market their produce but I couldn’t do that last year because the volume would be too much to handle. I’m preparing hard to include more villages this year however. Now, I’m a big yam marketer and I’m happy I took that hard decision. My mum is a happy mum now knowing that I’m okay and safe. The moral of telling my story is to let everyone know nothing is as easy as it sounds, there is probability of failure even after proper planning. I faced so many challenges I couldn’t mention here, at a point I wanted to go back home but I couldn’t bear the thoughts of leaving my new friends. They always see a happy person in me even when I’m scared deep down. So, rather than wait forever to start that which you had always liked, just do something especially when you have nothing to lose. I utilized the power of broke and thank God it worked. The season for harvest of almost every major crops has started gradually, there is another person who can become empowered again. Just to let you know, I’m in the process of registering a business name probably before the year runs out. Take that decision, the worst you’ll get is experience and not regret.

28 Likes 10 Shares

Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by Orobo2Lekpa: 1:20pm On Aug 16, 2017
Nice. You should have done proper paragraphing if you wanted to make it to FrontPage
Better luck next time
FTC
Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by nurey(m): 3:14pm On Aug 16, 2017
congratulations bro, you will do well by envisioning setting up a small processing plant in those villages and make yam flour and chips if possible but never discard the fresh market one too. So you turn excess into processed products and sell fresh during scarce or balanced season.

You will be providing jobs for the locals, development will pave way in the region, improved living condition as outsiders will troop in to do business there by spending on accommodation, transportation, feeding etc. If you are lucky and recognized as a bringer of hope and made a Councillor of those community you can even do more for them, but not too much so they can retain there culture and ways of life

1 Like

Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by cuttestprince(m): 6:46pm On Aug 16, 2017
Orobo2Lekpa:
Nice. You should have done proper paragraphing if you wanted to make it to FrontPage
Better luck next time
FTC
Who paragraph help

1 Like

Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by hoyze24: 6:11pm On Aug 18, 2017
nurey:
congratulations bro, you will do well by envisioning setting up a small processing plant in those villages and make yam flour and chips if possible but never discard the fresh market one too. So you turn excess into processed products and sell fresh during scarce or balanced season.

You will be providing jobs for the locals, development will pave way in the region, improved living condition as outsiders will troop in to do business there by spending on accommodation, transportation, feeding etc. If you are lucky and recognized as a bringer of hope and made a Councillor of those community you can even do more for them, but not too much so they can retain there culture and ways of life
Well said, rural development and agriculture go hand in hand. Pretty soon, we will be setting up a processing plant. I've started discussing that with the locals.
Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by maisauki: 10:16pm On Aug 18, 2017
I salute your courage...my friends and well wishers hav times without number told me to look for a white collar job, but i can see what they can't see...whatever d english you know how to speak, you must eat so there's always opportunity in agriculture only for you to discern which area you want to venture into and key in

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by DonFresco(m): 1:52am On Sep 01, 2017
Hello Entrepreneurs,
Promark Limited is seeking a long term export business partnership opportunity with genuine producers of well packaged food/agricultural products across Nigeria.

If you are into agricultural or food packaging and you know that your products will be accepted in the international market, then kindly give a simple description of your products here and drop your contact information.

Please note that products required are those that have long shelf life and very competitive price in order to be accepted in the international market.
You can also add pictures of your products in your post.

Thank you for your time and we look forward to a good long term business partnership with you.

HAPPY NEW MONTH

1 Like

Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by ogoplus: 9:35am On Sep 01, 2017
hoyze24:
It was less than a year ago, as a young graduate who had just finished NYSC, I told my folks I wanted to go into farming. The reactions were terrible especially that of my mum, she looked so disappointed. I knew deep down she felt so ashamed of me and all her thoughts would be how can you decide to go into farming with your second class upper honors in Electrical and Electronics Engineering? They all knew I was an intelligent kid; I literally beat over 200 applicants to get placement as an intern in a leading telco in 2014.

Even before NYSC, I had a good job with a decent salary. It was obvious getting a job after service wasn’t going to be difficult as I had made enough connections in my past workplaces.

However, telling them that wasn’t the big shocker, it was when I revealed my proposed location that made them shout I needed deliverance. They must have thought I’d been caught by some village people. It was a really difficult decision to make, I had only been in Benue state once, knew just someone and there was crisis in some parts of the state at the time. I was young and broke, all I had was the idea of changing the lives of some rural farmers and it kept resounding in my mind all through the dark period of the situation with my folks. My mum almost cried her eyes out. Watching me leave was a sad day for her, no amount of persuasion and emotional displays were enough to stop me. Deep down, I was so scared of what if it didn’t work out, what if something go wrong, could this be me? I struggled to hold back tears as it was obvious the wave I got from my dad was an indication of the thought that we might never meet again.

Everyone was scared of what could happen, even I was more scared but there was no way I would rescind my decision. Getting to my proposed location wasn’t easy but I had made up my mind I was going to succeed no matter what happens. I had read over a hundred books, articles and publications on different value chains in agriculture and I couldn’t be totally wrong on deciding to leave my comfort zone. The first challenge I encountered was the language barrier; few people could communicate in pidgin and English.

I still wasn’t deterred, rather I used that as a strength, I made them realize I was eager to learn their language as soon as possible and I needed each person to teach me something every time we meet. Fast forward to harvest time, I went into marketing of yam with literally no income, only thing I had was the farmers’ loyalty and trust. I took yams from them and transported it to the south east and south where I sold at reasonable prices.

I started making profit in no time and the farmers were happy because they got more than they would have with previous marketers. After two months, I introduced some of my friends to the business and they invested little to test the waters and they were glad they did. In four months, I had made enough money to start my dream of setting up mechanized communal farms and providing extension services to the villagers. I was introduced to farmers in a neighboring village who wanted me to also market their produce but I couldn’t do that last year because the volume would be too much to handle.

I’m preparing hard to include more villages this year however. Now, I’m a big yam marketer and I’m happy I took that hard decision.
My mum is a happy mum now knowing that I’m okay and safe.

The moral of telling my story is to let everyone know nothing is as easy as it sounds, there is probability of failure even after proper planning. I faced so many challenges I couldn’t mention here, at a point I wanted to go back home but I couldn’t bear the thoughts of leaving my new friends.

They always see a happy person in me even when I’m scared deep down.

So, rather than wait forever to start that which you had always liked, just do something especially when you have nothing to lose. I utilized the power of broke and thank God it worked. The season for harvest of almost every major crops has started gradually, there is another person who can become empowered again. Just to let you know, I’m in the process of registering a business name probably before the year runs out. Take that decision, the worst you’ll get is experience and not regret.

For those asking for paragraphs....

@ Please OP can you help mentor a young graduate?
Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by eddyline(m): 10:13am On Sep 01, 2017
I salute your courage sir. truth is when you start reaping the fruits of this struggle, many will only see the success and won't see the risk you took to achieve this. keep following your dreams bro

1 Like

Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by hoyze24: 10:24am On Sep 01, 2017
eddyline:
I salute your courage sir. truth is when you start reaping the fruits of this struggle, many will only see the success and won't see the risk you took to achieve this. keep following your dreams bro
Starting is always the hardest part. Funny enough, some guys did something similar with groundnut in Taraba state and parted with farmers' produce. There's been so much distrust since the incidence.
Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by hoyze24: 12:20pm On Sep 01, 2017
ogoplus:

For those asking for paragraphs....

@ Please OP can you help mentor a young graduate?
I'm just starting, there are always things we can share anyway.
Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by ogoplus: 2:28pm On Sep 01, 2017
hoyze24:

Thanks...

I am grateful....

my email id: adebayoabiodunmoses@gmail.com

I be glad if you send your phone number or email on how I can reach you sir.

1 Like

Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by ogoplus: 7:30am On Sep 02, 2017
hoyze24:

I got your mail.
Thanks.
Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by Nobody: 8:15am On Sep 02, 2017
This is an inspiring story for those that are still in doubt of making such move.
Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by edoman2016: 2:43pm On Sep 02, 2017
hoyze24:

Starting is always the hardest part. Funny enough, some guys did something similar with groundnut in Taraba state and parted with farmers' produce. There's been so much distrust since the incidence.
Do you supply on credit to your customers (market traders) in south-south and south-east on credit? Or is it strictly cash before supply ? If you do supply your customers on credit, how many days credit do you grant them to pay up their invoice? Also, do your customers honour their credit payment as at due date?
Expecting your response.
Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by hoyze24: 3:30pm On Sep 02, 2017
edoman2016:

Do you supply on credit to your customers (market traders) in south-south and south-east on credit? Or is it strictly cash before supply ? If you do supply your customers on credit, how many days credit do you grant them to pay up their invoice? Also, do your customers honour their credit payment as at due date?
Expecting your response.
No! I sell in open markets in the south. They have a system such that you don't even get to know who bought the yams, all one gets is the money. I did sell to some individuals as well but payment was cash on delivery.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by snowpe(m): 6:18pm On Sep 02, 2017
How can I contact u op?
Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by lovelani(m): 7:27pm On Sep 02, 2017
@ hoyze24 kindly hi me on whatsapp. I'm in the field too.
Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by hoyze24: 9:23pm On Sep 02, 2017
snowpe:
How can I contact u op?
Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by invinzible1: 9:53pm On Sep 02, 2017
hoyze24:
It was less than a year ago, as a young graduate who had just finished NYSC, I told my folks I wanted to go into farming. The reactions were terrible especially that of my mum, she looked so disappointed. I knew deep down she felt so ashamed of me and all her thoughts would be how can you decide to go into farming with your second class upper honors in Electrical and Electronics Engineering? They all knew I was an intelligent kid; I literally beat over 200 applicants to get placement as an intern in a leading telco in 2014. Even before NYSC, I had a good job with a decent salary. It was obvious getting a job after service wasn’t going to be difficult as I had made enough connections in my past workplaces. However, telling them that wasn’t the big shocker, it was when I revealed my proposed location that made them shout I needed deliverance. They must have thought I’d been caught by some village people. It was a really difficult decision to make, I had only been in Benue state once, knew just someone and there was crisis in some parts of the state at the time. I was young and broke, all I had was the idea of changing the lives of some rural farmers and it kept resounding in my mind all through the dark period of the situation with my folks. My mum almost cried her eyes out. Watching me leave was a sad day for her, no amount of persuasion and emotional displays were enough to stop me. Deep down, I was so scared of what if it didn’t work out, what if something go wrong, could this be me? I struggled to hold back tears as it was obvious the wave I got from my dad was an indication of the thought that we might never meet again. Everyone was scared of what could happen, even I was more scared but there was no way I would rescind my decision. Getting to my proposed location wasn’t easy but I had made up my mind I was going to succeed no matter what happens. I had read over a hundred books, articles and publications on different value chains in agriculture and I couldn’t be totally wrong on deciding to leave my comfort zone. The first challenge I encountered was the language barrier; few people could communicate in pidgin and English. I still wasn’t deterred, rather I used that as a strength, I made them realize I was eager to learn their language as soon as possible and I needed each person to teach me something every time we meet. Fast forward to harvest time, I went into marketing of yam with literally no income, only thing I had was the farmers’ loyalty and trust. I took yams from them and transported it to the south east and south where I sold at reasonable prices. I started making profit in no time and the farmers were happy because they got more than they would have with previous marketers. After two months, I introduced some of my friends to the business and they invested little to test the waters and they were glad they did. In four months, I had made enough money to start my dream of setting up mechanized communal farms and providing extension services to the villagers. I was introduced to farmers in a neighboring village who wanted me to also market their produce but I couldn’t do that last year because the volume would be too much to handle. I’m preparing hard to include more villages this year however. Now, I’m a big yam marketer and I’m happy I took that hard decision. My mum is a happy mum now knowing that I’m okay and safe. The moral of telling my story is to let everyone know nothing is as easy as it sounds, there is probability of failure even after proper planning. I faced so many challenges I couldn’t mention here, at a point I wanted to go back home but I couldn’t bear the thoughts of leaving my new friends. They always see a happy person in me even when I’m scared deep down. So, rather than wait forever to start that which you had always liked, just do something especially when you have nothing to lose. I utilized the power of broke and thank God it worked. The season for harvest of almost every major crops has started gradually, there is another person who can become empowered again. Just to let you know, I’m in the process of registering a business name probably before the year runs out. Take that decision, the worst you’ll get is experience and not regret.

I was once like you, with good results in finance. But I wanted to be the agricultural sector. I left everything just to pursue this course. Got discouraged, I got tired no income for some months. But today it's different.
My one cent advise for u is to brand yourself, get registered with cac and start putting structures in place so u would hv a system that works even when u are not available. As someone stated above. Value Chain like yam flour etc would go a long way in your business but u hv to go through some trainings. Benue has alot to offer in terms of agriculture.
Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by hoyze24: 1:56pm On Sep 03, 2017
I have plans to build a company that will be the largest marketer of agricultural produce in Africa and I'm working towards it. It's the new harvest season that's however top of the plan. We need to get more yams to the markets.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by Kaycee7(m): 8:34pm On Sep 23, 2017
hoyze24:
Inspiring
Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by hoyze24: 3:12pm On Oct 01, 2017
Happy new month and independence to everyone. Nigeria is just so blessed, think of the various crops that can be cultivated in Nigeria, the abundant fertile lands and the good people with diverwe ideas willing to work. No matter the value chain you're involved in, you'll make it with adequate knowledge and honesty. My agricultural dream for Nigeria is to be self sufficient in rice and wheat production by 2030, that's a long time to get necessary resources for proper cultivation, processing, storage, marketing and consumption put in place. Now, tell me, what's your agricultural dream for Nigeria?
Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by Nobody: 6:28pm On Oct 01, 2017
hoyze24:
Happy new month and independence to everyone. Nigeria is just so blessed, think of the various crops that can be cultivated in Nigeria, the abundant fertile lands and the good people with diverwe ideas willing to work. No matter the value chain you're involved in, you'll make it with adequate knowledge and honesty. My agricultural dream for Nigeria is to be self sufficient in rice and wheat production by 2030, that's a long time to get necessary resources for proper cultivation, processing, storage, marketing and consumption put in place. Now, tell me, what's your agricultural dream for Nigeria?
Rice farming is one of the most difficult to do. In Kogi especially Lokoja area, the rice must be timed to avoid disaster of birds consuming all the grains at harvest.
There are easier crops to cultivate.
If I must play in the rice industry, i will go for a rice mill where a 200kg rice paddy of 14,000 will produce a 150kg of refined rice (3 bags) which wholesales for 14,000*3=N42,000.
A return of at least 100% is guaranteed.
Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by hoyze24: 9:56pm On Oct 01, 2017
EMMAACHILE:

Rice farming is one of the most difficult to do. In Kogi especially Lokoja area, the rice must be timed to avoid disaster of birds consuming all the grains at harvest.
If I must play in the rice industry, i will go for a rice mill where a 200kg rice paddy of 14,000 will produce a 150kg of refined rice (3 bags) which wholesales for 14,000*3=N42,000.
It's quite difficult but not as regards birds eating it up when dried. Concerning your thoughts about 200kg paddy being milled into 150kg refine rice, maybe you need to conduct more research.
Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by Nobody: 10:38pm On Oct 01, 2017
hoyze24:

It's quite difficult but not as regards birds eating it up when dried. Concerning your thoughts about 200kg paddy being milled into 150kg refine rice, maybe you need to conduct more research.
A 100kg paddy rice (unprocessed rice) of faro44 gives a 75kg refined rice using a modern rice mill. Are you arguing on that?
Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by Nobody: 10:42pm On Oct 01, 2017
In Lokoja, rice can only be grown twice a year because of the large presence of birds who are notorious for eating up the rice grains befote harvest.
My dad once lost a 2 hectare rice farm without a single grain harvested when we came new to Lokoja.
The knowledge of locals is vital here
Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by hoyze24: 8:12am On Oct 02, 2017
EMMAACHILE:
In Lokoja, rice can only be grown twice a year because of the large presence of birds who are notorious for eating up the rice grains befote harvest.
My dad once lost a 2 hectare rice farm without a single grain harvested when we came new to Lokoja.
The knowledge of locals is vital here
I've cultivated rice in Taraba and Benue and I've never had issues with birds except for few ducks in Bali and that was due to closeness to residential areas.

1 Like

Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by xprimate(m): 9:19am On Oct 02, 2017
thanks alot op for sharing. Am currently in similar environment:I am currently serving in one of the remote village in plateau state. Over here the major farm produce is salad vegitables like garbage, carrot, cucumber, green beans etc and also potato. During my two weeks initial break, i did market survay about these farm produce in 3 major market in lagos. It was clear that the market was developed with a lot of big trailers arriving everyday bringing carrot, carbage, cucumber potatoes etc from plateau and the north. On further enquiry from the malams, they said that the price is very volatile that prices can jump from 5k to 8k and vice verser in a just a day. They said that if i intend sending it from plateau, that i have to get someone who will be selling it for me since i dont intend saying in the market. I conclded that it is better to sale to retailers and small wholesalers since since the open market in lagos for these produced is congested. I dont have any retailers contact for now and am not going to Lagos any time soon. So please I will like suggestion on how to take advantage of this opportunity because plateau state has a comparative advanage in farming salad vegitable and potatoes especially irish potatoes in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by Nobody: 10:35am On Oct 02, 2017
hoyze24:

I've cultivated rice in Taraba and Benue and I've never had issues with birds except for few ducks in Bali and that was due to closeness to residential areas.
Birds are very few in Benue. When we cultivated rice in a 10 hectare mechanised farm south of Makurdi called Ikpayongo there in the late 90s, it was ok but arrively Kogi, we found out that it was more difficult to cultivate over here because of the presence of large number of birds especially weaver birds.

Only the locals here know when to plant to avoid this disaster. The best investment is to process rice since your cash will not be tied for long if you are processing. Rice mills are few in this country and there is still a lot of cash in this value chain.

The major input required is the rice mill equipment and the warming unit to avoid locally boilng the rice.
Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by Yhemit(m): 10:55am On Oct 02, 2017
xprimate:
thanks alot op for sharing. Am currently in similar environment:I am currently serving in one of the remote village in plateau state. Over here the major farm produce is salad vegitables like garbage, carrot, cucumber, green beans etc and also potato. During my two weeks initial break, i did market survay about these farm produce in 3 major market in lagos. It was clear that the market was developed with a lot of big trailers arriving everyday bringing carrot, carbage, cucumber potatoes etc from plateau and the north. On further enquiry from the malams, they said that the price is very volatile that prices can jump from 5k to 8k and vice verser in a just a day. They said that if i intend sending it from plateau, that i have to get someone who will be selling it for me since i dont intend saying in the market. I conclded that it is better to sale to retailers and small wholesalers since since the open market in lagos for these produced is congested. I dont have any retailers contact for now and am not going to Lagos any time soon. So please I will like suggestion on how to take advantage of this opportunity because plateau state has a comparative advanage in farming salad vegitable and potatoes especially irish potatoes in Nigeria.

you can start with that one ..... no time to be waiting, get down to Lagos and look for customers.
Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by edoman2016: 3:39pm On Oct 02, 2017
EMMAACHILE:

Please, how much does a small scale rice milling factory will cost to set up?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Get Your Farmlands As Cheap As 50k Per Acre / Hammer Mill Grinder For Sale - Negotiable / Cheap Farmland For sale/Lease Within An Hour Drive From Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.