Stats: 3,147,760 members, 7,798,543 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:22 AM

Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis (29793 Views)

Man Who Fetches Sand For A Living In Enugu (Photos) / Toheeb: Meet Cemetery Attendant Who Digs Graves For A Living In Lagos / Oge Kate: EBSU Graduate Does Charcoal Business For For A Living (2) (3) (4)

Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by martinsaba: 8:11am On Aug 19, 2017
DO NOT LIMIt YOURSELF TO ONLY SPSS
Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by olayinkajnr(m): 8:16am On Aug 19, 2017
Emeritus001:
Why not, I have been into it since when I was in my final year, now still in after graduating, I'm grounded in SPSS and Eviews combined with Thesis writing for MSC, MSC, PHD. I also write journals for publication and paper for presentation. I love doing research...I need someone to partner with to expand d biz. My area of concentration is Management science and Education and some part of Social science...... Emeritus Research Institute....08100241231

What kind of partnership are you talking about bro. If it is flexible, i can partner with you.

I'm a Statistician with concentration in Education, Social Science, Econometrics and the likes. Let's talk via pm
Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by olusola11: 8:17am On Aug 19, 2017
Contact me if you want to learn SPSS, E-view and other software packages. Check my signature

Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by neighy(m): 8:33am On Aug 19, 2017
donestk:
Get the best of research in www.datavillegroup.com

That's where I got trained including field experience in the northeast.
u work with them??
Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by neighy(m): 8:34am On Aug 19, 2017
olayinkajnr:

What kind of partnership are you talking about bro. If it is flexible, i can partner with you.

I'm a Statistician with concentration in Education, Social Science, Econometrics and the likes. Let's talk via pm
am also a statistician in the making abeg hala me sef iffa go fit join
Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by olayinkajnr(m): 8:40am On Aug 19, 2017
neighy:
am also a statistician in the making abeg hala me sef iffa go fit join

Lolz, I had the dream of starting my own setup. In fact, I've started the process but those I involved didn't help matter. Some are serious among them but they are very busy. I've stopped working on it for now
Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by neighy(m): 8:41am On Aug 19, 2017
Like u r not a trained statistician.. This baba no know say na money in dey use play so.. Buh in the long run SPSS might not be enof learn STATA SAS R also,,, the more you learn the better you get..
Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by GreatDreams: 8:43am On Aug 19, 2017
Students pay huge amount of money to analyze data.
Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by neighy(m): 8:44am On Aug 19, 2017
olayinkajnr:

Lolz, I had the dream of starting my own setup. In fact, I've started the process but those I involved didn't help matter. Some are serious among them but they are very busy. I've stopped working on it for now
make we talk serious talk ... U fit send me ur facebook user??
Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by olayinkajnr(m): 8:45am On Aug 19, 2017
neighy:
make we talk serious talk ... U fit send me ur facebook user??

Send me a pm. I'll respond.

Modified: I've replied your pm
Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by Nobody: 9:00am On Aug 19, 2017
ziggyzee:
Opportunities abound in the Data analysis field and it is a worthwhile venture if you have the resources to further develop your capabilities. You can be proficient in the use of CAAT tools like ACL or IDEA which is used in industries with a high volume of data e.g. finance and telecoms. Alternatively, you can focus on the emerging technologies such as Big Data analytics which has few professionals in stock, hence increasing your chances at employment. Data is the new oil and industries world over have turned their direction to getting maximum information from Data to make decisions and target their marketing efforts.
Remember: Data>Information>Knowledge>Wisdom.
OP best advice for you!
Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by KunkeAkinola(m): 9:04am On Aug 19, 2017
Yes oo.. U can make a hell of a living analysing data. I have been carrying out data analysis since I was in school (2015). Now I'm done and I still get quite a lot of jobs from various corners(that's partially cos I'm quite good and iv got a good customer relationship). I'm considering going fully into post graduate research. Undergraduate Don tire me. Dem no get big money to pay. Bt mehn, if ur good with statistics, data analysis will really feed u brodaman. It's a very good venture. Start it.
Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by Adminisher: 9:06am On Aug 19, 2017
funimages:
I AM CONSIDERING LEARN, SPSS FOR DATA ANALYSIS,WHERE CAN I USE IT, PLEAS ADVICE ME

Please go ahead. This is the skill for the 21st century. You are going to be a big data guru.

Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by KunkeAkinola(m): 9:07am On Aug 19, 2017
ziggyzee:
Opportunities abound in the Data analysis field and it is a worthwhile venture if you have the resources to further develop your capabilities. You can be proficient in the use of CAAT tools like ACL or IDEA which is used in industries with a high volume of data e.g. finance and telecoms. Alternatively, you can focus on the emerging technologies such as Big Data analytics which has few professionals in stock, hence increasing your chances at employment. Data is the new oil and industries world over have turned their direction to getting maximum information from Data to make decisions and target their marketing efforts.
Remember: Data>Information>Knowledge>Wisdom.

Pls can u drop ur contact, looking to go deeply into financial analysis cos I love finance and anything finance. Will love to have a chat with you
Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by lyricalz: 9:18am On Aug 19, 2017
funimages:
I AM CONSIDERING LEARN, SPSS FOR DATA ANALYSIS,WHERE CAN I USE IT, PLEAS ADVICE ME

Data analytics is a very lucrative career path to build on and follow, I can say this confidently because I'm already on the path. Its one career that will soon be trending, but to become a professional data analyst or data scientists here are the steps to climb on your career path. knowing how to use SPSS, e-view or math lab, is not enough.

1: a degree in a statistics and math based course, like b.sc mathematics, statistics, computer science and economics. Because as a data analyst you will need a solid background in inferential statistics, Calculus and quantitative techniques.

2: A solid knowledge in programming, because you will need this skill to manipulate large data, build models, so this is a must.

3: This is the final career path you will climb. you will to learn data analytics as a professional, learning and using advance software tools like R programming which is more popular, python programming for data science, etc.
depends on your preferences

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by otabuko(m): 9:28am On Aug 19, 2017
peacettw:
Finally... A topic I can relate with. To learn spss, you must first understand statistics. Learning spss thereafter will be a piece of cake. Best of luck
babe. You don't need to understand statistics. Just know the basics. I'm an art inclined educator. But I'm a bad data analyst.

Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by ogazi4u(m): 9:37am On Aug 19, 2017
Please anyone that's based in Abuja and good with R Programming should halla me..I want to learn please...thanks 08061197741
willing to pay for the service
Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by successincentiv(m): 9:48am On Aug 19, 2017
With that skill

Go to these platforms and monetize it

1. Fiverr

2. Freelancer

3. Upwork

4. Truelancer

5. Guru

Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by kawkab: 9:51am On Aug 19, 2017
Bro, you can build a career from Data Analysis, however it is pertinent you understand the following;
1. To be a good data analyst you must understand data science and to do this it is good you have sound knowledge in any of the numerate science or some aspect of the humanities.
2. A sound knowledge of research method is necessary for a data analyst to progress from beginner to expert.
3. Knowing the software tool is not enough, you may be very good at using SPSS, but if don’t understand statistics and research method, you may find it difficult to interpret the result generated by the software.
4. A good knowledge of statistics and research method is necessary also because, it will help you know the appropriate statistical test to apply in different problem scenarios.
5. Don’t limit yourself to SPSS only. There are a multiplicity of data analysis tools. SPSS is just one of them e.g.
- MATLAB – Matrix Laboratory used mostly in Science and for scientific modelling. It also provides SIMULINK for simulations.
- E-View used monthly in Economics and Econometrics
- EPI-INFO – Health Statistics and epidemiology.
- CS-PRO – Open Source used in health statics.
- STATISTICA, MATHEMATICA
- STATA – Econometrics
- R (Data Analysis, Simulation, Modelling)
EView, CSPRO is used by several internal NGOs (FHI360, John Snow, MSF etc) in their monitoring and evaluation projects.
ODK with the pervasive of the internet and mobile broadband penetration another strong emerging platform in Data Analysis is ODK which makes it easy for data to be collected and analysed of mobile devices.
Finally my take for you is;
a. Master at leats 2 – 3 data analysis platforms
- SPSS (with AMOS – AMOS allows SPSS users to do Strutured equation modelling), R and CS-PRO
- SPSS, Eview, STATA
- SPSS, ODK, R

b. You can work as a freelancer. A lot of post graduate students in tertiary institutions are looking for people to help them analyse their data both at undergraduate and post graduate level. Start from institutions closest to you.

c. Build a network around do funded NGOs a lot of them require data analyst to help out in data analysis for the projects and field surveys.

Thank you. See you at the top.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by Nobody: 10:01am On Aug 19, 2017
funimages:
Use R, python

Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by essayafr: 10:02am On Aug 19, 2017
Partners needed for a new essay and thesis writing company with presence in the west coast region . we are into final year project writing masters thesis writing end of term report data analysis proof reading and editing .our website www.essayafrica.com
Phone/whatsapp: 07054585576

Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by iamclime(m): 10:05am On Aug 19, 2017
Don't just learn data analysis, add research design and instrumentation, business plan writing, etc. If you can, concentrate on the Social/Management Sciences, especially PG students (PGD, MBA, MSC, PHD). Also, learn more about Mendeley, Grammarly, etc. You can check them out on Google. Best wishes
Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by Klins2000(m): 10:07am On Aug 19, 2017
Interested in the business. I am also a researcher and research consultant for BSc, PGD, MSc, PhD and other scholarly papers, in the areas of media and communication, information and knowledge management, library and information science, education, and related areas. HOW CAN WE PARTNER?
Emeritus001:
Why not, I have been into it since when I was in my final year, now still in after graduating, I'm grounded in SPSS and Eviews combined with Thesis writing for MSC, MSC, PHD. I also write journals for publication and paper for presentation. I love doing research...I need someone to partner with to expand d biz. My area of concentration is Management science and Education and some part of Social science...... Emeritus Research Institute....08100241231
Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by Acidosis(m): 10:09am On Aug 19, 2017
You need to learn the rudiments of statistics and research methodology alongside. My knowledge of research methodology with basic accounting principles enable me to write business plans, conduct field surveys for business owners and research students.

Data analysis is very very broad, you can't know it all, there are hundreds of tools out there, I use Ms Excel, SPSS and one qualitative data analysis tool. I've been doing this for 4 years, and I'm not ready to quit anytime soon as no other job has offered me the earning and level of satisfaction I currently derive. Take time to build your network...some clients work with you for 2 years and even more. There's no limit to what you can achieve.

Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by Ermacc: 10:13am On Aug 19, 2017
peacettw:
Finally... A topic I can relate with. To learn spss, you must first understand statistics. Learning spss thereafter will be a piece of cake. Best of luck
exactly. Detailed interpretation to your analysis is key. If you can add other statistical packages like eviews, stata and deep excel, you are good to go.
Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by Ermacc: 10:15am On Aug 19, 2017
Mosesbutez:
please, can an undergraduate work as a DATA ANALYSER to support himself in the University financially?
yes you can. Thats how i had balled in my uni days. Money for clothes, phones, shoes and of course, the ladies all came for my data analysis hustle.
Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by peacettw: 10:16am On Aug 19, 2017
otabuko:
babe. You don't need to understand statistics. Just know the basics. I'm an art inclined educator. But I'm a bad data analyst.

@op, this is the path you never want to follow otherwise you will be churning out data that makes little to no sense.
A perfect analogy will be like using a calculator while not understanding maths. SPSS is nothing but a gigantic calculator. Understanding statistics gives it a meaning. Besides, how on earth will u know which statistical tool to use in spss if you don't have an understanding of what you want.

Shortcuts never works. Anything worth doing is worth doing well. But of course, it's your choice to make.

Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by otabuko(m): 10:21am On Aug 19, 2017
peacettw:

@op, this is the path you never want to follow otherwise you will be churning out data that makes little to no sense.
A perfect analogy will be like using a calculator while not understanding maths. SPSS is nothing but a gigantic calculator. Understanding statistics gives it a meaning. Besides, how on earth will u know what statistical tool to use in spss, if you don't have an understanding what you want.

Shortcuts never works. Anything worth doing is worth doing well. But of course, it's your choice to make.
Seriously, that's why I pointed to basics. Like knowing that 2 variables require t-test/chi-square. And above Anova and so on. I didn't say not knowing anything at all. Regards
Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by dayo20002002: 10:34am On Aug 19, 2017
Data Analysis is a can be taken as a profession. Just network yourself to the quarter where your services is needed.

Re: Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 10:35am On Aug 19, 2017
bros, like people here have said knowing spss is not enough, you have to understand the "NATURE" of the DATA you are analyzing to know the best method to apply.

How I Almost Lost My Job Because Of Orijin Drink. / Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja / Why Women Love Doctors