Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,766 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:06 PM

ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits (11446 Views)

BREAKING: Strike: We Have No Agreement Yet With FG ― ASUU / ASUU Strike: We May Not Honour Fg's Call Again - ASUU / ASUU STRIKE: We Have Reached Agreement With Lecturers – FG (see Details) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by mzirawo: 7:27am On Aug 17, 2017
ASUU STRIKE: WE FAILED TO FULFILL AGREEMENT, MINISTER ADMITS
source : http://www.eyesoflagos.com/2017/08/ASUU-strike-we-failed-to-fulfill.html

The Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, on Wednesday, admitted that the Federal Government indeed failed to meet its part of the agreement reached with the Academic Staff Union of Universities last year which led to the ongoing industrial action declared by the union.

Eyes Of Lagos source revealed that, However, he said the government was not happy that ASUU embarked on the strike without following due process by giving adequate notice.

Adamu spoke with State House correspondents after the weekly meeting of the Federal Executive Council presided over by the Acting President, Yemi Osinbajo, at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

The minister said the government had realised that it made some promises to the union which it has yet to fulfill.

He said he would be meeting with leaders of the union on Wednesday evening or on Thursday.

He expressed optimism that some agreements would be reached at the meeting and the strike would be called off as soon as possible.

The minister said, “It is very sad that I am here and ASUU is on strike. Late last year, we had a meeting because ASUU gave one week notice of strike and we were able to work out some agreement.

“I must confess that government has not fulfilled its part of the bargain. Though we are unhappy that ASUU went on this strike without following due process and giving us good notice, we realised that we promised something and we didn’t fulfill it.

“I hope I will be meeting them later today (Wednesday) or tomorrow (Thursday) and I am sure we will be able to reach some agreement so that the strike will be called off as soon as possible.

“I am sure you are aware of the issues we agreed on. There is the issue of re-negotiation which is the only one they agreed government has done what it promised because we set up the re-negotiation team and negotiation is already ongoing.

“There is the issue of Earned Allowances and I think because of some miscommunications, what we promised could not be done, but am I assuring ASUU and the whole nation that this is going to be done.

“There is the issue of registration for Nigerian Universities Pension Commission. I think on that one, there are a few issues that need to be sorted out with the Nigerian Pension Commission. I believe there will be no problem with that.

“On the issue of their staff school, I think the court has given them verdict to go ahead with it. They have requested that they should be allowed to stay off TSA and I think the government will not do this.

“But there are some peculiar funds in the university like endowment which are monies kept and all the interest they generate, prices and so on are given.

“Government will exempt that one only. But universities are part of the peculiarities. They just must log on. I hope later on when I meet them today, there will be total agreement.”

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by buygala(m): 7:31am On Aug 17, 2017
Baba will soon come back and issue a no-work-no-pay order regarding striking lecturers sad

Then ASUU will apart from working strike, also go on negotiation strike

Then Government will tag them Ipob members and get their leaders arrested for attempting to secede from the the Federal Ministry of Education.

Then there will be a total ban on university education in Nigeria, a state of emergency having been declared in the tertiary education sector... Some Army Generals will be then appointed as caretaker chairmen to oversee the dissolution of all university Senates.

Then everybody will blame ASUU for this misfortune, and forget to see that the government has by then, turned all University campuses into grazing reserves sad

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by Benjom(m): 7:31am On Aug 17, 2017
... because of economic brouhaha undecided

Re: ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by Donprayer(m): 7:31am On Aug 17, 2017
K
Re: ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by Young03(m): 7:31am On Aug 17, 2017
ok undecided undecided undecided
Re: ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by Dopeyomi(m): 7:32am On Aug 17, 2017
Benjom:
... because of economic brouhaha undecided

And political muga-muga resulting to a societal disorder..

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by ekestic1976(f): 7:32am On Aug 17, 2017
Sincerity-in-Governance, I call this! Happy days are here again!

4 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by Pearlyakin(m): 7:34am On Aug 17, 2017
I pray and i hope ASUU will call off the strike.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by KendrickAyomide: 7:34am On Aug 17, 2017
ekestic1976:
where is the sincerity abeg? you call this small piece of remorse sincerity abi

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by Integrityfarms(m): 7:34am On Aug 17, 2017
Is there any agreement that this administration have fulfilled that is to the benefit of the masses, except increase in stamp duty charges, removal of subsidy yet proceeds unaccounted for, and other wickedness perpetrated against the common man

7 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by Bababo(m): 7:37am On Aug 17, 2017
Make unnah better do fast. Infact, no scope us on reaching new agreement with ASUU again Adamu, there are existing agreements on ground, try as much as possible to fulfil them. Moreover, until the strike is called off, I apparently will not belief neither ASUU or FG. Both can't be trusted .
Re: ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by Desdola(m): 7:37am On Aug 17, 2017
For once the APC have admitted to make a mistake. Hope the issue is resolved asap

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by Pokamystica: 7:39am On Aug 17, 2017
Make this strike linger for a little while make guys huzzle undecided

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by Nbote(m): 7:41am On Aug 17, 2017
ekestic1976:

Asslicker.... Sincerity and yet dey reneged on agreement reached jus last year?? Where are d idiots running their mouth in support of dat hopeless special assistant to d President...?
Re: ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by kinggeecee: 7:42am On Aug 17, 2017
Nigeria oo...am tired of Nigeria i want to go back to my country in ekiti state everything is jst so mushh striking they ve turned ronaldo on our education dem dey use us dribble�God bless Nigeria!!
Re: ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by mikejj(m): 7:46am On Aug 17, 2017
grin grin ha you better find agreement ooo
Re: ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by opeolu202: 7:56am On Aug 17, 2017
buhari sef

AFTER READING
well he is straightforward with it. I pray he resolves it as soon as possible. My bro don too tay for house.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by Nobody: 7:57am On Aug 17, 2017
Normal
Re: ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by Nobody: 7:57am On Aug 17, 2017
On the issue of their staff school, I think the court has given them verdict to go ahead with it. They have requested that they should be allowed to stay off TSA and I think the government will not do this.
Re: ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by sayyid(m): 8:02am On Aug 17, 2017
Re: ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by jericco1(m): 8:02am On Aug 17, 2017
Now that you guys have admitted it, can you all grant them their wish?
Re: ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by AdeniyiA(m): 8:03am On Aug 17, 2017
buygala:
Baba will soon come back and issue a no-work-no-pay order regarding striking lecturers sad

sad

No-work-no-pay does not work again in Nigeria because baba himself despite being out of work for more than 100days now is still collecting his salaries... undecided

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by kings09(m): 8:29am On Aug 17, 2017
Sarrki n madridguy n omenka must hear this
buygala:

Then Government will tag them Ipob members and get their leaders arrested for attempting to secede from the the Federal Ministry of Education.

Then there will be a total ban on university education in Nigeria, a state of emergency having been declared in the tertiary education sector... Some Army Generals will be then appointed as caretaker chairmen to oversee the dissolution of all university Senates.

Then everybody will blame ASUU for this misfortune, and forget to see that the government has by then, turned all University campuses into grazing reserves sad
Re: ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by CornelG(m): 8:35am On Aug 17, 2017
Atleast some source of hope for us but please and please let it be as soon as possible as you said ooo!!!
Re: ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by Nobody: 8:40am On Aug 17, 2017
Pokamystica:
Make this strike linger for a little while make guys huzzle undecided

i feel u ma man..
we share same thought...
Re: ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by jahsharon: 8:41am On Aug 17, 2017
Integrityfarms:
Is there any agreement that this administration have fulfilled that is to the benefit of the masses, except increase in stamp duty charges, removal of subsidy yet proceeds unaccounted for, and other wickedness perpetrated against the common man

You are mad. Goatluck Jonaddaft and Yar'Adua made the agreement without thinking of the consequences or the means to fulfili, so they never ever did. The new Sheriff is here who promises and fulfill his promises.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by Moblord(m): 8:45am On Aug 17, 2017
ASUU oo
Re: ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by Generalyemi(m): 8:47am On Aug 17, 2017
buhari
Re: ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by Generalyemi(m): 8:52am On Aug 17, 2017
Nbote:

Asslicker.... Sincerity and yet dey reneged on agreement reached jus last year?? Where are d idiots running their mouth in support of dat hopeless special assistant to d President...?

don't blame them,they are paid to be fools
Re: ASUU Strike: We Failed To Fulfill Agreement, Minister Admits by TijaniAbu: 8:55am On Aug 17, 2017
In 2009 FGN had an agreement with ASUU. Not one aspect of that agreement has been honoured. The man who led the committee that negotiated with ASUU in 2009 is now the acting and vice president fake pastor fake professor Yemi Osinbajo the insincere and inverterate compulsive liar.

(1) (2) (Reply)

JAMB To Release 2019 UTME Results From Monday / The Social Media And Human Rights Violations (TERM PAPER) - GST 111 / OAU: Lectures To Commence On 2nd And Not 9th November

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.