Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,973 members, 7,806,831 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:51 AM

Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) (4800 Views)

Happy Birthday Yewande1234 / Whose Fault? (betrayal And Revenge) A Short Story / Short Story: "LOVE'S GRIEF" - Written By Oyekunle Lizzy Oyebola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by purples25(f): 3:42pm On Aug 17, 2017
"Happy Birthday to you , Happy Birthday to you...... " the chants drift eerily in my subconscious thoughts. The cold and unfeeling grip of the handcuffs like the touch of an infuriated ghost murdered unjustly but seeking vengeance leads me to shudder in shock and disbelief. I can feel their eyes on me, all the students caught up in this scene with me , and the shame that is the effect of these powerful stares do all but knock me to the ground. A deranged sense of humour distracts me for a second and a confusing smile distorts my deceitfully emotionless face. It's like a party , a birthday party without cakes and smiles, a cursed birthday surprise just for me .

Flashback . It's morning and its freezing everywhere but the girls in the hostel don't mind. I've always wondered what sort of creatures they are, washing and cooking every minute, going to friends rooms to gist if free. No time for art, no time for creative reading, no idea or curiosity concerning a different way of life other than domesticity. The graceful bodies walk past my room window, some naked, most scantily clad , some in towels , carrying food, plates or buckets for bathing. I'm lying on my bed huddled in my blanket . I check my phone. 7: 30 am. Another cold and drab day where everyone is going to smile as if everything is peachy when it is indeed not. What's so sweet about a cold , damp, dark day where every step freezes your toes and ices up your body ? Typical birthday weather.

I swipe through my phone apps. WhatsApp.......WhatsApp....... WhatsApp....... Where are you.... I immediately focus on my dear boyfriends contact......nothing. He forgot my birthday again. And as usual, while I plan to get him a gift for his birthday I guess he will gift me with nothing , and think I am dumb enough to believe he will actually take me somewhere this year. He doesn't care but atleast he's the only one who will claim me. My friends say I have low self esteem, but what the heck ? This relationship is a joke. He treats me as if I do not exsist.

" She's on her phone again o, early in the morning . Jinx, this phone will not kill you . " A cheery face pops up beside my bunk bed, defying all evidences of the drab weather. It's Simi, my room mate. She's an agile enough girl , like all my roommates, always jumping about cleaning things and washing up and down like hyperactive kids overfed with sugar. Luckily for me, these sets of roommates have accepted me with all my introverted tendencies, with a slight attempt at mentioning me in conversations even when I don't try. Yes they say nasty things to me , they made my life in the room so much hell this semester that I temporarily fled the room as they took advantage of my docility, but it's better than roommates that keep you at a distance and call you a witch because you're not extroverted, isn't it ?

" Hmmm she'll never leave that phone " Ngozi, another roommate comments with disgust in her tone, while carrying some ingredients out of the room for cooking, her hands full. She kicks the door open with transferred aggression and bolts out with a hateful expression on her face. I wonder what I did to deserve such holy anger. Maybe they love me too much. The other roommates are warming up to the conversation. " Better stop being addicted to that phone " another roommate called Beatrice yells across from her own corner. She's a know it all, leader of the Christian cause, boaster of her famous virginity and morals ............all while gossiping and verbally bullying me with the others. I told her my secrets some months ago, believing she was some sort of angel. Next thing I knew my roommates were insulting me with them for the rest of the semester while she unashamedly joined in. I heard someone went to the boys hostel and mentioned that someone in our room had done so and so. Even gave the exact room number. Well what ro you expect me to do but socialize with them despite all this. I'm the friendless one so I'm meant to accept whatever comes to me with no qualms or choices. If not I'm abnormal.

Simi smiles broadly and wickedly across her attractive , smooth , lovely face. Obviously with the intent of mischief and play. Maybe they're trying to make things up to me. Yesterday she and her sister gifted me with a chocolate cake made themselves. I guess that wipes up all the bad memories. Remind me to give someone a chocolate cake next time I make them angry. " Come down birthday girl , we need to celebrate with you ". Yeah they know my birthday date. I told them, in the spirit of friendship. Anything not to be branded an abnormal witch in this paranoid country Nigeria. " Don't disturb her now, it's cold " Ngozi's sister adds , with a giggle in her throat. I know the ritual. They are going to douse me in water and I am not going to love it this cold morning. These are the rituals of university students but what the heck you've gotta go along with it. I've never been the laughing, giggling screaming type but I'll have to try. I step gingerly out of bed and the cold laps up my big toe.
Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by purples25(f): 4:09pm On Aug 17, 2017
So I've stepped out of bed and my roommates are all surrounding me with big grins on their faces. I pull on my amused mask face. I've become used to that, that pretence. A girl's gotta survive. I've gotten tired of being singled out all the time. I push my phone deep under the pillow. " Hmm won't you leave that phone? " Beatrice clucks and observes me with a mix of pity and disgust . " You better tell your parents to change your name from Jinx because they have jinxed you with so many things I don't know. Your village people have jinxed you with that phone . " Airily dismissed by Ngozi's sister , still the only one lying on her bed. " This girl won't graduate until after two years, i tell you. I've never seen you read a school book, Jinx . Always novels and your phone. What's your talent , nothing." She settles down more comfortably in her bed. Satisfied with her speech. I say nothing. That is and has always been the rule for me to have friends. Say nothing always, always let them have the say, smile and be grateful that they are even talking to you. You would think they didn't know the psychological issue that I was having because of the abortion of the first ever pregnancy for the boyfriend but they actually did. And they had mocked me all through my depression this semester.

" Stop it, it's ok now " Beatrice, the secret spiller, drawled , but the hypocritical attempt at keeping up the ceremonial atmosphere was not too subtle as she looked secretly pleased at the usual swipe at me by Charlotte, Ngozi's sister. I tried to look even more undisturbed at the bashing, and more excited at the ritualistic dousing with water that was about to begin. " Birthday Girl !! " Someone tipped a bit of cold water down my back and I squealed in the signature girly manner that is common in girls and dashed out. My pretend smile now generated into a good attempt at fake laughter as the girls attacked with bowls of cold icy water and slammed them on me with force , having fun as I tactfully led them to the general bathroom where the water would be less damaging . I tried to be normal and enjoy the socializing but I couldn't help but see the scorn and sneers I had been accustomed to all semester, behind the smiles.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by purples25(f): 5:11pm On Aug 17, 2017
9: 00 am.

I've taken care of my wet clothing and personal hygiene . Dressed in a long sleeved turtle necked sweater, I make my way out of the hostel to the main lecture halls. I'm hungry , but screw that, there business to be done. A little nobody in a throng of students, I stroll nimbly to the east wing where he is waiting. A tall , slim, dark handsome dude dressed in black , his body language screaming confidence and ego while he deceptively bends his lanky frame and points his gaze downward to suggest humility. This could also be because he is trying to be inconspicuous , a shadowed figure. His face which looks indifferent however transforms into some sort of sneering delight as he sets his eyes upon me. Oh well. Can't say I'm not pretty but my petite lank frame is the type that gets the guys thinking of bed and flirting, the typical hit and run deceit, sadly enough, but let's get to the point.

" How are you ? " He attempts not to smirk at me and be friendly. Well, he better be. Because his food for a week and pay depends on me. " Good morning " . My voice comes out girlish and low, and I despair in my heart. If I keep having this timidity issue , my fellow Nigerians will always swindle the shit out of me. My head is still down. Look bold , you idiot. How can you be taken seriously if you're so scared ! . I tell myself with some cruelty. " Erm , I got the money. It's only 5000 I was able to get, sorry. " I try to look into his eyes , to look bold. The mystery guy crosses one leg over the other and I glimpse at his shiny black shoes, whilst he pretends to consider the situation. He looks at me squarely in the eyes, unflinching, rather coldly. " Hmmmm. You know I requested for 10 000. Jerry needs to pay his rent today and he was planning on adding that money to it. I really have to beg him now. " He pauses for extra theatric effect, and then attempts to switch his real indifferent expression for a fake caring one. Squeezes his lips like he just tasted agbo. " Well I'll arrange everything and beg him. Don't worry I will make everything alright. Is it not me ..." We shake hands and mystery guy walks away like a long giant. I twist my hands with each other in anxiety. Cold hands, I hate cold hands. This is the first time I'm doing this. Hope they won't try to screw me over.
Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by purples25(f): 6:07pm On Aug 17, 2017
1:30

I have tried to read a little, despite the numbness to everything in life that holds me, threatening to strangle me . I'm dead to life like the cold lurking outside , can't stop thinking of the child that was mine but is gone leaving me empty, I had no choice . Had no choice? The cynical Nigerian man would ask if your legs were forced open. But that's right. I should have let the innocent live and taken the shame. Except the child wouldn't have been left alone. Years later my nightmare is the heartless adults and fellow children surrounding him/her, calling ......Bastard. Smiling, sneering , high and low voices. Bastard....bastard......bastard.....no daddy......whispers saying don't mix with that child , he has no daddy . Nah I couldn't have borne that to happen. Write a composition about your family. That would've been the perfect paradise and excuse for primary school teachers to torture the kid.

My roommates make mockery of my last minute attempts to read. Guffawing sounds and snickers not so subtle as they pass by. Would've thought they would understand my pain being women, but surprisingly no . Funny enough I know they aren't saints but , I'll pass. Though my head is filled with images of blood and pain and loss and screams, I try to read. The dousing they gave me earlier comes to mind and my mouth moves an inch to attempt a smile.

3:00

Its time for the exam. I really hope these guys won't try to play a fast one on me. The indifferent examiners at the door of the main Hall search people for the necessary i.d and let them in. I'm back with my turtleneck sweater and jeans. People around me feverishly swipe through their books in a last attempt to assimilate facts before being called into the exam hall, hardly noticing me. When they do notice me it is with a frown and an occasional eyeing up and down with irritation and hatred, mostly the girls. Some others smile briefly and some even wave or attempt brief conversations and hugs. I always liked those non discriminating types.

The students have nearly all entered the exam halls. I look about me in despair. Couples and groups gist together on the stone benches a little distance away from the hall, oblivious to the ' exam fever ' . Jerry , the guy I paid this money to indirectly to write for me, is nowhere to be seen. To make things worse , I see mystery man amble towards me looking a bit agitated, but I feel this is just pretence. Damn it ! They planned this, to make an utter fool out of me and collect my money.

" I'm so sorry Jinx.........I'm so sorry, jerry can't make it, he was just rushed to the hospital....and I have something to do right now. You know what you will do.....take this " he shoves some bulky materials into my hands. " please, I never knew this would happen, just try and write this one, we will write two others for you " he sprints off, but I catch the glee on his face a minute before his face is totally averted. Smart guy, wouldn't write an exam for a sucker if he could help it.

So I'm stuck. Managed.to smuggle these in and I'm nervous as hell. Other students took advantage and have sharply distributed most of my expo around the hall. I'm numb, trying my best to look casual while viewing a paper under the table. I am not used to cheating. I feel a hand, heavy on my shoulder, a disgusted gaze above me and a harsh voice . The students close to me shift away with the agility and grace of angels. "GET UP !!! GET UP !!!! " A sharp rip of papers and it's like my life has been ripped apart symbolically. Everybody looks at me. The security man comes along, joins the invigilator who is so full of fury that I am afraid he will slap me. He growls his instruction through clenched teeth and a murderous stare.

" Cuff her. Let's go ! Don't beg me ! This is a warning to all of you !!"

Fifth of November.
My doomsday.
The words, the neglect, the mockery, the condemnation.

Happy Jinx.

Happy Birthday.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by Narldon: 7:26am On Aug 20, 2017
Fantastic write-up

2 Likes

Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by stonebil(m): 8:30am On Aug 20, 2017
Hmmm... he that readeth this article, pls summarise it 4me. i did't read it
Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by purples25(f): 8:31am On Aug 20, 2017
Narldon:
Fantastic write-up

Thank you dear.
Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by Bigii(m): 8:58am On Aug 20, 2017
Nice, Nice... I admire your writing skills with much love.

1 Like

Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by purples25(f): 9:06am On Aug 20, 2017
Bigii:
Nice, Nice... I admire your writing skills with much love.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by Lordshola: 9:14am On Aug 20, 2017
Wonderful story.

1 Like

Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by ozidy1: 9:16am On Aug 20, 2017
Good one, I read it to the end. Keep it up

1 Like

Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by purples25(f): 9:30am On Aug 20, 2017
ozidy1:
Good one, I read it to the end. Keep it up

Thanks so much for the encouragement.
Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by purples25(f): 9:31am On Aug 20, 2017
Lordshola:
Wonderful story.

Thanks Lordshola
Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by Lordshola: 10:24am On Aug 20, 2017
purples25:

Thanks Lordshola
U are welcome sis.
Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by Cruz40(m): 11:06am On Aug 20, 2017
What a nice writeup. Keep it up

1 Like

Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by Mokiks(f): 11:09am On Aug 20, 2017
Great job.. Welldone but is that the end of the story?

1 Like

Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by purples25(f): 11:21am On Aug 20, 2017
Cruz40:
What a nice writeup. Keep it up

I will thanks
Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by purples25(f): 11:23am On Aug 20, 2017
Mokiks:
Great job.. Welldone but is that the end of the story?

Lol yes. I had the intention of making it a quick but interesting write up. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by purples25(f): 11:32am On Aug 20, 2017
I want people to be more encouraged to read so I deliberately made it short to encourage ' rare ' readers. When they find out that they actually enjoy reading and can bear short articles, they can move on to the longer stories.
Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by nawtielizzie(f): 8:04am On Aug 21, 2017
I love this.
Please mention me in your future works.
Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by purples25(f): 10:12am On Aug 21, 2017
nawtielizzie:
I love this.
Please mention me in your future works.

Thanks I will.
Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by lindytania(f): 12:13pm On Aug 21, 2017
grin nice story dear.plz i will like to read your other story, mention me when when you have another one
Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by purples25(f): 1:21pm On Aug 21, 2017
lindytania:
grin nice story dear.plz i will like to read your other story, mention me when when you have another one

I'll definitely mention you next time lindy, thanks.

1 Like

Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by Hdanny(m): 9:37pm On Aug 21, 2017
nice one, keep it up dear

1 Like

Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by beltkid(m): 9:46pm On Aug 21, 2017
Wow, beautifully written. Reading stuffs like this that usually give me the vibe that I could gather the momentum I need and give writing a chance. U painted a fantastic story, so clear like I was watching it in 4D...keep up the good work
Hopefully, in the nearest future, I will write as beautiful as this

1 Like

Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by purples25(f): 11:05pm On Aug 21, 2017
beltkid:
Wow, beautifully written. Reading stuffs like this that usually give me the vibe that I could gather the momentum I need and give writing a chance. U painted a fantastic story, so clear like I was watching it in 4D...keep up the good work
Hopefully, in the nearest future, I will write as beautiful as this

Thank you so much, and I really think you'll write even better once you start smiley
Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by purples25(f): 11:06pm On Aug 21, 2017
Hdanny:
nice one, keep it up dear

Thanks Hdanny smiley
Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by culf: 5:18am On Nov 17, 2022
Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by culf: 5:18am On Nov 17, 2022
waooo, this is awesome!
please don't tell me its true story!

1 Like

Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by purples25(f): 8:49am On Nov 21, 2022
culf:
waooo, this is awesome!

please don't tell me its true story!

Not it's not. Lol it's fiction.
Re: Happy Birthday ( Short Story ) by culf: 10:56pm On Nov 21, 2022
purples25:

Not it's not. Lol it's fiction.
better

(1) (Reply)

Ficool App / Continuation of "FALLEN" Photol Novel Uploaded A Love Story by browngarri / Is Anyone Interested In Writing For My Website$$$$

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.