Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,347 members, 7,808,212 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:50 AM

The Jan 15th 1966 Military Coup Was Not An 'igbo Coup'. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Jan 15th 1966 Military Coup Was Not An 'igbo Coup'. (3733 Views)

'1966' Igbo Coup Was Based On Religious Sentiments. / Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup / The January 1966 Coup Was Not An Igbo Coup- Zikistmovement.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Jan 15th 1966 Military Coup Was Not An 'igbo Coup'. by Ngozi123(f): 12:45am On Aug 18, 2017
pazienza:

The minister of education in 1966 when Balewa was killed was not Igbo, he was a Yoruba by the name Richard Akinjide.
The Foreign minister ( external affairs) in 1966 also wasn't Igbo, he was a Northerner by the name Nuhu Bamalli.
It doesn't take much to see that this your write up is an ignorant one tainted with Igbophobia and usual falsehoods

Are those the only portfolios in the government. Why not provide the full ministerial list with the names of the occupants and their regions and let us be the judge?

When exactly did Ndiigbo show dissatisfaction over Balewa government? The last time I checked, the tussle was between Awolowo and Balewa.

What Ironsi needed impose on the country so that everything could belong to Ndiigbo was extreme regionalism cum confederation, and not unitary system, seeing as Crude oil were recently discovered in Mid-west and Eastern regions, with both under Osadebey and Okpara leadership, seeing as you lots had accused Ojukwu and Ndiigbo declaring Biafra because of hunger to Claim the oil wealth of the nation for Ndiigbo alone.

You lots can't seem to keep your story straight.

It has everything to do with tribalism, this your write up, and is exactly the reason your colonial entity called Nigeria will remain a failure .

Your truth are lies to me, and my truth lies to you, we simply can't find a middle ground, this therefore is an invitation to chaos.

I didn't even read his post thoroughly as he's just doing what a lot of the Igbo haters are doing in this thread- changing the subject in order to avoid actually challenging the premise of this thread.

6 Likes

Re: The Jan 15th 1966 Military Coup Was Not An 'igbo Coup'. by Ngozi123(f): 12:57am On Aug 18, 2017
kn23h:
JUST BECAUSE A LION IS SILENT DOESN'T MEAN HE HAS NO TEETH. kiss

Please refrain from posting here if you have nothing meaningful to say. I want this thread to be an intellectual debate- if such a thing exists on this site undecided.

1 Like

Re: The Jan 15th 1966 Military Coup Was Not An 'igbo Coup'. by GameGod(m): 12:59am On Aug 18, 2017
Ngozi123:

Please refrain from posting here if you have nothing meaningful to say. I want this thread to be an intellectual debate- if such a thing exists on this site undecided.
I don't like igbos
Re: The Jan 15th 1966 Military Coup Was Not An 'igbo Coup'. by kn23h(m): 1:25am On Aug 18, 2017
Ngozi123:

Your thread is meaningless.

2 Likes

Re: The Jan 15th 1966 Military Coup Was Not An 'igbo Coup'. by Ngozi123(f): 10:16am On Aug 18, 2017
GameGod:

I don't like igbos

I'm not sure what that's got to do with the premise of this thread but I'm sure that the feeling is mutual.

3 Likes

Re: The Jan 15th 1966 Military Coup Was Not An 'igbo Coup'. by T9ksy(m): 11:11am On Aug 18, 2017
pazienza:

The minister of education in 1966 when Balewa was killed was not Igbo, he was a Yoruba by the name Richard Akinjide.
The Foreign minister ( external affairs) in 1966 also wasn't Igbo, he was a Northerner by the name Nuhu Bamalli.
It doesn't take much to see that this your write up is an ignorant one tainted with Igbophobia and usual falsehoods

Are those the only portfolios in the government. Why not provide the full ministerial list with the names of the occupants and their regions and let us be the judge?

When exactly did Ndiigbo show dissatisfaction over Balewa government? The last time I checked, the tussle was between Awolowo and Balewa.

What Ironsi needed impose on the country so that everything could belong to Ndiigbo was extreme regionalism cum confederation, and not unitary system, seeing as Crude oil were recently discovered in Mid-west and Eastern regions, with both under Osadebey and Okpara leadership, seeing as you lots had accused Ojukwu and Ndiigbo declaring Biafra because of hunger to Claim the oil wealth of the nation for Ndiigbo alone.

It has everything to do with tribalism, this your write up, and is exactly the reason your colonial entity called Nigeria will remain a failure .

Your truth are lies to me, and my truth lies to you, we simply can't find a middle ground, this therefore is an invitation to chaos.

Between 1964 and 1966 when the coupists struck , TB doubled as the Prime minister and External affairs minster.

When was the last time you checked 'cause Awo was already in prison when the coupists struck. In fact the tussle was between TB and Zik when the latter, after the 1964 general election initially refused to invite TB to form a cabinet whilst at the same time imploring the military chiefs to intervene in the imbroglio until he was advised by the chief justice and the military chiefs that their operational power resides with the PM and not the ceremonial President when he finally relented.

3 Likes

Re: The Jan 15th 1966 Military Coup Was Not An 'igbo Coup'. by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 11:24am On Aug 18, 2017
pazienza:

Okay but what is two out of the lot ?
Re: The Jan 15th 1966 Military Coup Was Not An 'igbo Coup'. by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 11:26am On Aug 18, 2017
joeyfire:

What you have posted is not logical. Why would we want to overthrow a government that was in our pocket already?? The Eastern region was enjoying projects like the Niger Bridge, Okpara was on fire commissioning likes of Obudu Cattle Ranch, Trans-amadi industrial layout and Nkalagu Cement etc

Try harder

Are you trying to deny the igboish of the coup now ? It's you who needs to try harded to rewrite history.

3 Likes

Re: The Jan 15th 1966 Military Coup Was Not An 'igbo Coup'. by jaksmillioniar: 11:38am On Aug 18, 2017
Ngozi123:

I'm not sure what that's got to do with the premise of this thread but I'm sure that the feeling is mutual.
b prepare for October 1
Re: The Jan 15th 1966 Military Coup Was Not An 'igbo Coup'. by pazienza(m): 1:18pm On Aug 18, 2017
T9ksy:

Between 1964 and 1966 when the coupists struck , TB doubled as the Prime minister and External affairs minster.

When was the last time you checked 'cause Awo was already in prison when the coupists struck. In fact the tussle was between TB and Zik when the latter, after the 1964 general election initially refused to invite TB to form a cabinet whilst at the same time imploring the military chiefs to intervene in the imbroglio until he was advised by the chief justice and the military chiefs that their operational power resides with the PM and not the ceremonial President when he finally relented.

Awo downfall from Grace to grass was via Akintola/Saraduna/Balewa alliance.

Zik alliance with SW via AG in UPGA alliance was thwarted by Akintola and Kayode, who aligned themselves and parts of SW with Balewa in NNA alliance.

It remains Awolowo who had an axe to grind with Balewa, and it's not surprising that the coup aim as masterminded by Awolowo, had Balewa penciled for elimination.

2 Likes

Re: The Jan 15th 1966 Military Coup Was Not An 'igbo Coup'. by ElsonMorali: 9:48am On Sep 16, 2017
Oh really? That's your narrative? They wanted to hand over power to Awolowo? Please kindly tell us How many Igbo political leaders, socio-cultural leaders were killed? I'm waiting o...

3 Likes

Re: The Jan 15th 1966 Military Coup Was Not An 'igbo Coup'. by shukuokukobambi: 10:10am On Sep 16, 2017
pazienza:

Awo downfall from Grace to grass was via Akintola/Saraduna/Balewa alliance.

Zik alliance with SW via AG in UPGA alliance was thwarted by Akintola and Kayode, who aligned themselves and parts of SW with Balewa in NNA alliance.

It remains Awolowo who had an axe to grind with Balewa, and it's not surprising that the coup aim as masterminded by Awolowo, had Balewa penciled for elimination.

and he got idiotic foreign trained graduate igbo soldiers, while imprisoned in calabar, to kill only the northern and western leaders who were his enemies and spared ALL IGBO MILITARY AND POLITICAL LEADERS. makes sense cool

Who said Awo didn't have a sense of fairness? cheesy

4 Likes

Re: The Jan 15th 1966 Military Coup Was Not An 'igbo Coup'. by SonofDevil: 10:38am On Sep 16, 2017
It was Igbo coup you cannot rewrite history

1)Kaduna nzeogwu killed ahmadu bello in Kaduna

2)Emmanuel ifeajuna pulled the trigger on tafa balewa after he was being molested his corpse was later drop at Ikeja along Lagos state

3) nwobosi lead soilders to akintola residence after shootout they were able to gain access to his apartment and nwobosi pulled the trigger.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Jan 15th 1966 Military Coup Was Not An 'igbo Coup'. by Easternmind(m): 1:07am On Oct 25, 2022
Nothing like "Igbo coup" in ademoyega's 'Why we struck' whom was present during the plotting and execution of the coup.
Tribalism only crept into it all....
Re: The Jan 15th 1966 Military Coup Was Not An 'igbo Coup'. by begoniaa: 1:33am On Oct 25, 2022
Easternmind:
Nothing like "Igbo coup" in ademoyega's 'Why we struck' whom was present during the plotting and execution of the coup.
Tribalism only crept into it all....

So how do you address the number of the people killed then?

A lot of people on this thread have mentioned the disproportionate numbers of Igbos that were killed during the coup vs. people of other regions that were killed?

1 Like

Re: The Jan 15th 1966 Military Coup Was Not An 'igbo Coup'. by rummmy: 4:09am On Oct 25, 2022
GMBuhari:
It's been proven world over its Igbo coup

Death toll in the north

Death toll in the South west

Compared to yeebos killed is ratio 1:100

Meaning 1 or no Ibo for tens and hundreds of soldiers killed from north and south west

Aguyi ironsi was not a planner or beneficiary but took power anyways and did not punish the culprits instead he promoted them , what did you expect?

It's Ibo coup period and when counter coup happened your brother declared a republic and wasted 3M Igbo lives

Face reality

so you are mocking our 3m souls or what?.
Is Nigeria not paying for that genocide?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu and Buhari’s Purported Death: The Facts and Fiction / Opinion :Tiv,Igala,Jukun,ldoma,Kaduna Xtians,Jos Are You With Arewa Or Biafra / This Was How PDP And CAN Left Nigeria For Buhari In 2015 (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.