Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,785 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:31 PM

NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification (40284 Views)

Union Bank Replies An Angry Customer Who Wants To Leave The Bank On Twitter / How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria / Nigeria In Talks With Saudi’s Islamic Bank On Sukuk Deal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by Alanzazani: 5:33am On Aug 18, 2017
The same thing happened to me. At stanbic Ibtc and FCMb bank. Nimc has to take this thing up. Those banks are laws unto themselves
Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by Cecero(m): 6:28am On Aug 18, 2017
ernieboy:

what is a tier 1 or 2 savings account?

Accounts are of three tiers:Tier 1,Tier 2 and Tier 3. The tiers are based on what is called KYC (Know Your Customer). In simple terms, it means the level of knowledge you have of your customer, cheesy.

For Tier 1 accounts, you do not require any id card to open account for the customer. These types of accounts can be opened by customer himself online. An example of this is those accounts you can easily open with your phone like the DYA. However, this type of account can only accept a cumulative balance of only 300k. ie, you are not expected to have a total balance above 300k in this type of account. Also, you may not be able to deposit above 50k at once into this account. KYC here is at the barest minimum. Accounts here come under what is called Financial Inclusion.

For Tier 2 accounts, you require a verifiable means of id to open the account. For an id to be verifiable, it must at least have the customer's passport photo on it. It should also have customer's verifiable address. All manner of company and office id cards fall into this category. Some people are funny, they go to business centres to produce what they call PERSONAL ID CARDS. This cannot fly as verifiable ids since one is not expected to identify him/herself; your office or company can. This type of account can accommodate a cumulative balance of up to 500k only. You may not make a single deposit above 100k here. You may also be able to open a tier 1 and tier 2 account without money and you can also withdraw down to your last kobo, hence the term Zero Account.

For Tier 3 accounts, you need a valid means of id card to open it. It is also known as Full KYC Accounts because it is expected that you know the customer very well before opening this type of account for him/her. Below are the valid means of id cards as outlined by CBN:
International passport
Permanent Voter's Card(PVC)
National Driver's Licence
National id card and recently
The NIN slip
You can open a full kyc account with any of these listed id cards. The accounts thus opened is also expected to accept any amount of deposit in line with CBN and the individual banks debit and credit turnover limits.

The banks may also need to conduct Enhanced Due Diligence (EDD) on their customers from time to time so as to know their customers better or at the request of regulatory authorities or as the need may arise.

2 Likes

Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by amywonda: 6:29am On Aug 18, 2017
amicable09:

But it is non verifiable Na.

Banks or should I say most that I know, don't accept nimc temporary slip as a valid means of identification.

NIMC should contact NIBSS instead of trying to exchange word with Sterling. I think they are speaking from the position of all banks. Compliance won't even allow the account be opened with that paper
it is verifiabalr the problem is the bank has to pay 1000 for verification, I guess that's their grouse
Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by eipreel(f): 6:31am On Aug 18, 2017
davide470:
They confirm from the Ifa Priest in your village abi?

Lmao...from amadioha ni.

It has been mentioned earlier...there are two slips. the first is just an enrollment certificate while the other contains the NIN. So the first isn't acceptable for a tier 3 account and as someone mentioned earlier,the NIN is verifiable by people who have access just like the drivers' licence and international passport. Where I "come from," compliance does, so all you have to do is send a mail to them and they verify and advise you if the NIN is genuine or not.

My point is, the sterling handler shouldn't have out rightly told the prospect that it isn't acceptable without proper orientation that's why the NIMC handler took it "personal"
Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by amywonda: 6:36am On Aug 18, 2017
amicable09:

You speak in future tense. Till then, CBN won't permit any bank in this country to accept that for common tier 3 savings account type not to talk of a current account.

BVN is easily verifiable.
National drivers license is.
Permanent voters card too.
International passport, yes.

But NIMC, not yet. No bank is ready to pay huge fine for N1 account. No, not one.
the nin number is verifiable, the banks can't acces the portal , the have to email nimc for verification, because they are charged for it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by Nobody: 6:49am On Aug 18, 2017
amicable09:

You speak in future tense. Till then, CBN won't permit any bank in this country to accept that for common tier 3 savings account type not to talk of a current account.

But NIMC, not yet. No bank is ready to pay huge fine for N1 account. No, not one.

@amicable09 you sound like a banker already. Your knowledge of the ins & outs is deep. Does your bank offer some mouth watering business solutions? DM is open.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by amywonda: 6:54am On Aug 18, 2017
ThatAppleGuy:

you are not alone grin grin
oga save the number on you phone of email, u don hear say American man forget social security number? Anyway if u loose it walk into an nimc office with ur name as registered and a new one would be given after a token payment
Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by amywonda: 7:05am On Aug 18, 2017
amicable09:

CASE CLOSED!

Thank you and goodnight.
the temporary slip has the NIN, nevermind the the ignorant response u received earlier

1 Like

Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by amicable09(f): 7:47am On Aug 18, 2017
amywonda:
the temporary slip has the NIN, nevermind the the ignorant response u received earlier
OK, thanks. I'll check for myself when I set my eyes on both stuff issued by NIMC.
Cecero:

I think your information on the verifiability of the NIN slip is stale. NIMC has sent out a link for verification. Also, are you aware that the TVC is verifiable and yet banks do not accept it as valid, I wonder why? The VIN on the TVC can be verified with same portal as the PMC. Let's say that for the latter CBN did not ok it, but for the former I think they have ok'ed it probably because of the challenges NIMC has with making available the main Natl id
I think this all boils down to the risk appetite of a bank. There are banks that still refuse NIMC temporary slip for correct account opening process because their risk appetite is low. I know that for not verifying an ID before account opening, the branch is liable to 2mn. That's what CBN pockets for one small oversight as this.

I think I've said enough on this thread. I am not the OP yet the mentions I've gotten if translated to money, I wouldn't be complaining. Since it isn't,

I'm complaining.
Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by meforyou1(m): 8:32am On Aug 18, 2017
cardoso514:
Would they take voters card?
of course they do
Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by Adesiji77: 8:45am On Aug 18, 2017
ridbell01:
this second banks are lazy that's why they are rejecting it coz the slip have no which they can use to confirm the validity of the card

The bolded is not true. The issue here is that banks are unwilling to pay the charges associated with the authentication of the NIN.
Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by Adesiji77: 8:48am On Aug 18, 2017
[quote author=Ashibelieve post=59581030][/quote]

The memo you shared indicates that banks are to authenticate before accepting the slip as a means of identification. It was the subtle threat which made Sterling Bank to back down that I referred to as "blackmail"....
Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by Adesiji77: 8:48am On Aug 18, 2017
amicable09:

OK, thanks. I'll check for myself when I set my eyes on both stuff issued by NIMC.

I think this all boils down to the risk appetite of a bank. There are banks that still refuse NIMC temporary slip for correct account opening process because their risk appetite is low. I know that for not verifying an ID before account opening, the branch is liable to 2mn. That's what CBN pockets for one small oversight as this.

I think I've said enough on this thread. I am not the OP yet the mentions I've gotten if translated to money, I wouldn't be complaining. Since it isn't,

I'm complaining.

cheesy grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by ernieboy(m): 8:57am On Aug 18, 2017
Cecero:

Accounts are of three tiers:Tier 1,Tier 2 and Tier 3. The tiers are based on what is called KYC (Know Your Customer). In simple terms, it means the level of knowledge you have of your customer, cheesy.

For Tier 1 accounts, you do not require any id card to open account for the customer. These types of accounts can be opened by customer himself online. An example of this is those accounts you can easily open with your phone like the DYA. However, this type of account can only accept a cumulative balance of only 300k. ie, you are not expected to have a total balance above 300k in this type of account. Also, you may not be able to deposit above 50k at once into this account. KYC here is at the barest minimum. Accounts here come under what is called Financial Inclusion.

For Tier 2 accounts, you require a verifiable means of id to open the account. For an id to be verifiable, it must at least have the customer's passport photo on it. It should also have customer's verifiable address. All manner of company and office id cards fall into this category. Some people are funny, they go to business centres to produce what they call PERSONAL ID CARDS. This cannot fly as verifiable ids since one is not expected to identify him/herself; your office or company can. This type of account can accommodate a cumulative balance of up to 500k only. You may not make a single deposit above 100k here. You may also be able to open a tier 1 and tier 2 account without money and you can also withdraw down to your last kobo, hence the term Zero Account.

For Tier 3 accounts, you need a valid means of id card to open it. It is also known as Full KYC Accounts because it is expected that you know the customer very well before opening this type of account for him/her. Below are the valid means of id cards as outlined by CBN:
International passport
Permanent Voter's Card(PVC)
National Driver's Licence
National id card and recently
The NIN slip
You can open a full kyc account with any of these listed id cards. The accounts thus opened is also expected to accept any amount of deposit in line with CBN and the individual banks debit and credit turnover limits.

The banks may also need to conduct Enhanced Due Diligence (EDD) on their customers from time to time so as to know their customers better or at the request of regulatory authorities or as the need may arise.
thanks for the detailed enlightenment.

1 Like

Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by kitombo: 9:03am On Aug 18, 2017
amicable09:

Lol. Blackmail is the word cheesy
'Blackmailed' is correct in the context used!

1 Like

Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by meforyou1(m): 9:11am On Aug 18, 2017
amicable09:

Quick question, does the temp slip have NIN?
yes, but the permanent on does not have
Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by Otunba77(m): 9:12am On Aug 18, 2017
Please dont mislead the public, NIMC NIN slip is verifiable, they have authentication and verification portal which has different level of Access depending on the users.

Tell your bank to key into it ...

thor=amicable09 post=59572189]
CBN is the regulatory body here and banking is highly regulated, everything you see banks do, is passed down from the top and any bank that doesn't comply will be heavily sanctioned.

That said, NIMC temporary slip can only be used to open a tier 1 & 2 savings account not even tier 3. And that's because CBN is particular at this time about financial inclusion. Just so no one will be left out on the basis of not having a valid means of ID.

As much as I know, NIMC temporary slip isn't verifiable for now [/quote]
Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by meforyou1(m): 9:17am On Aug 18, 2017
amicable09:

I read the circular and by understanding still maintain my stand.

I asked one of the posters here if the temporary slip has the NIN, his response came back as negative.

Which is why at this point, I plead that you go through the subject and my first post again. It will save us all so much stress.

cc. All those who have quoted me and whose messages I can no longer reply.

Thank you very much.
the temporary slip has NIN
Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by meforyou1(m): 9:18am On Aug 18, 2017
moshoodn:

No, it doesn't...
my friend, it does
Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by meforyou1(m): 9:19am On Aug 18, 2017
amicable09:

CASE CLOSED!

Thank you and goodnight.
the temporary slip has NIN. It is the permanent card that does not have NIN
Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by meforyou1(m): 9:24am On Aug 18, 2017
amywonda:
it is verifiabalr the problem is the bank has to pay 1000 for verification, I guess that's their grouse
then they should pass the cost to the customer.
Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by moshoodn(m): 9:25am On Aug 18, 2017
meforyou1:
my friend, it does

Oga, there are two slips...

The temporary one you get before you get the permanent slip...

Note, we said SLIP, not CARD!

The first slip, has no NIN, the second has.
Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by fortunejum: 9:38am On Aug 18, 2017
What stops them from issuing the original for so long time now
Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by bigtt76(f): 10:07am On Aug 18, 2017
See the CBN circular to the banks to that effect below.

amicable09:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by stagger: 11:13am On Aug 18, 2017
amicable09:

But it is non verifiable Na.

Banks or should I say most that I know, don't accept nimc temporary slip as a valid means of identification.

NIMC should contact NIBSS instead of trying to exchange word with Sterling. I think they are speaking from the position of all banks. Compliance won't even allow the account be opened with that paper

You are wrong. There is an existing database which syncs Nigerian banks with NIMC. It is now possible to verify the NIN on the slip,as it will be merged with the customer's BVN and all the information is visible to all parties concerned.

NIMC put out a statement last week and henceforth, ANY BANK THAT REFUSES TO ACCEPT THE NIN SLIP WILL BE SANCTIONED.

Nigerians, learn to stand up for your rights.
Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by gfullmoon(m): 11:24am On Aug 18, 2017
Nigerian Banks are making things difficult for their average customers who might not have driving license, Int'l Passport , PVC etc. If the cost of the portal is the problem, why not pass the bill to the client whose only means of identify is the NIN who are willing to pay the cost, than denying them services. And I heard the cost is less than #150.00 than forcing such client to go for Drivers license or Int'l Passports even when they do not have obvious need for it.

The bankers are always in a haste, so the "stress" of the Verification seems to me the problem here unlike the Drivers License or Int'l Passport or PVC where they can easily photo copy and attach or upload not minding the authenticity or going through the "stress" of instant Verification of such document.
Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by NoToPile: 2:37pm On Aug 18, 2017
Not surprised

Called gtb connect to verify their requirements for change of name on bvn and acc details and I asked specifically if the NIMC slip was accepted and she said YES it is if it contains the NIN number.

I specifically called gtb connect because I know some times those their customer personnel at the desk don't have information about these things , they say one thing and their call center says another.

The NIMC slip contains the NIN number so now banks can stop frustrating customers.
Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by ElDeeVee(m): 7:16pm On Aug 18, 2017
amicable09:

I'm complaining.

So, in your mind now, you are feeling fly...

Well, I am glad you are coming up, hun.
Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by amicable09(f): 7:29pm On Aug 18, 2017
ElDeeVee:

So, in your mind now, you are feeling fly...

Well, I am glad you are coming up, hun.
Hahahaha.

I have deliberately disengaged myself from this thread. If mentions were bullets, I would not have survived last night's shooting. You know I'm still a student under you Na cheesy

You baptized me with Tsunami. I'm trying to shake it off and be a gentle storm.

Hope you're settled now?
Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by IgedeBushBoy(m): 7:32pm On Aug 18, 2017
Banks with eye service. What do you need the card for, when you have the nin boldly printed on the slip
Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by amicable09(f): 7:33pm On Aug 18, 2017
Adesiji77:

cheesy grin
You set me up!
And then left me exposed!!
No smiling back from me!!!

1 Like

Re: NIMC's Response To Sterling Bank On Temporary Slip As Means Of Identification by ElDeeVee(m): 7:41pm On Aug 18, 2017
amicable09:

Hahahaha.

I have deliberately disengaged myself from this thread. If mentions were bullets, I would not have survived last night's shooting. You know I'm still a student under you Na cheesy

You baptized me with Tsunami. I'm trying to shake it off and be a gentle storm.

Hope you're settled now?

Hahahahahahaah I'm still a silent fan of the Tsunami though.

Still trying to settle jare. How are you?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How I Pampered Myself After Collecting My Contribution Of 4 Months. / How Much Can Person Use To Start Up A Business Shop Like This? (SEE PHOTO) / How Legit Is Piggyvest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.