Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,887 members, 7,802,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:38 PM

Give Us Our Real Babies, Mothers Tell Enugu Govt (photo) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Give Us Our Real Babies, Mothers Tell Enugu Govt (photo) (28920 Views)

ODD BUT REAL!!! Babies Learn Words From Three (3) Days Old – Study Reveals / Enugu Govt. Denies Report On Alleged Stoppage Of Issuance Of Birth Certificates / Annoying Superstitions African Mothers Tell New Mothers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Give Us Our Real Babies, Mothers Tell Enugu Govt (photo) by dre11(m): 1:40pm On Aug 18, 2017
…demand DNA test

The story of Miss Chijindu Nworie and Miss Emmanuala Nwedu started in March, 2016.

The Enugu State Police Command Police charged the ladies to court for conspiracy and child trafficking. This was after they were arrested alongside two other ladies and a proprietor of an alleged baby factory in the state.

They were charged to court, but granted bail. At that time, they were both eight months pregnant. They were, however, remanded in prison when they couldn’t meet their bail conditions.

Officials of the State Ministry of Gender Affairs and Social Development, later got permission from the prison authorities to take the ladies to hospital for safe delivery. The ministry, however, said it would keep the babies at a foster home, while the ladies returned to prison.

Exactly a year and eight months later, the ladies were finally able to meet their bail conditions.

They were able to do so with assistance from some humanitarian organisations. The ladies demanded for their children and urged government to carry out DNA tests in order to ascertain the babies paternity.

A source said: “The call for DNA became necessary after the ladies observed that the children presented to them by government, looked younger than their children who should be a year and five months.”

The ladies also argued that the test was vital, because the babies were taken from them barely hour after they put to bed.

Nworie and Nwedu rejected the two babies presented to them at the office of the State Commissioner for Gender Affairs, Mrs. Peace Nnaji.

Determined to ensure the babies were truly theirs, the mothers petitioned Amnesty International, explaining that the ministry forcibly collected their babies from them since March 2016. The ministry has denied the allegation.

Nworie and Nwedu alleged that some persons wanted them to part with the babies for N50,000 each after delivery. They turned down the offer, but the babies were allegedly later forcibly taken from them by the ministry.

Thursday last week was fixed for handover of the children. But at the ceremony, the mothers, in conjunction with their relatives, rejected the children, demanding DNA test.

Officials of the National Human Rights Commission, (NHRC), National Agency for Prohibition of Traffic in Persons (NAPTIP) and other rights groups, all supported the call for DNA test. Nnaji said the government didn’t mind the DNA, as long as it was not expected to pay for it.

Commissioner for Information, Ogbuagu Anikwe, said: “Enugu State government is embarrassed. We can’t do a DNA test because it will imperil the government in doing such humanitarian jobs.

Those making such allegation should prove it. We will take steps to ensure that our credibility is not doubted in future. We have invited them to call their doctors and in the presence of the Human Rights Commission, we will conduct the DNA tests. But the parents will have to pay for it.”

Anikwe also faulted the allegation by the mothers that they were offered N50,000 each to forfeit their babies. He noted that the mothers or their relatives never visited the ministry, until Thursday. He disclosed that rigorous investigation would be carried out to clear all doubts.

Damian Ugwu, Amnesty International Researcher, said: “The ladies said that their babies are a year and six months, but the children presented to them didn’t look that age.

They can’t recognise their children, thus the call for DNA tests. Although we’re trying to explore peaceful resolution, but we’re also ready to go to any level to know the truth.

“The two ladies were not the only ones that government took their babies from. They took several. Other ladies were offered N50,000 and babies collected. These two rejected the money, thus their long stay in prison. Amnesty International got them out of prison after one year. The right thing is also for government to pay for the DNA tests.”

Police woman, Gloria Udoka, said that in January 2016, four pregnant girls were “rescued in Ozor’s residence, a notorious child trafficker in Udi, Enugu State; but two of the girls had already given up their babies for adoption. The other two, Emmanuela Nwendu and Chidindu Nworie, were bailed after series of investigations.”

One of the mothers, Nworie, said she was working as a salesgirl before she got pregnant for her boyfriend.

She said: “Out of shame and fear, I ran away from the home of my uncle, Mr Uchenna Nworie. He is now based in Cote d’Ivoire. While looking for a clinic to take care of my pregnancy, I was directed to Moonlight Hospital. It was there I was introduced to a doctor; Dr. Ozor Akpudachie.

At that clinic, I also met two other girls: Miracle Onwe and Ajie Chigozie.”

Nworie recalled that she and other ladies were arrested by a team of policemen and officials of the Enugu State Ministry of Gender Affairs and Social Development.

Since the handing over of the babies was not successful, a new date was fixed between the mothers and government for the commencement of the DNA tests.

https://newtelegraphonline.com/2017/08/give-us-real-babies-mothers-tell-enugu-govt/

lalasticlala

Re: Give Us Our Real Babies, Mothers Tell Enugu Govt (photo) by Nobody: 1:42pm On Aug 18, 2017
Beer Fura wai bakwa gajiya ne

9 Likes

Re: Give Us Our Real Babies, Mothers Tell Enugu Govt (photo) by wristbangle: 1:48pm On Aug 18, 2017
I stopped reading when I got to the point where the ladies said the babies given to them from the state of gender affairs are younger to what their babies should look like.

Can we say their real babies have been trafficked?

Chai baby factory limited in action! Pure form of wickedness

19 Likes

Re: Give Us Our Real Babies, Mothers Tell Enugu Govt (photo) by dotcomnamename: 4:53pm On Aug 18, 2017
Na Dem Dem again.
Enugu.
Baby Factory Capital.
You gat to respect dem.
Lobatan.
Laugh Won tear My Bele.
Over To You My People.

33 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Give Us Our Real Babies, Mothers Tell Enugu Govt (photo) by Jaytecq(m): 4:53pm On Aug 18, 2017
k
Re: Give Us Our Real Babies, Mothers Tell Enugu Govt (photo) by pautex: 4:53pm On Aug 18, 2017
shocked shocked How
Re: Give Us Our Real Babies, Mothers Tell Enugu Govt (photo) by 1Sharon(f): 4:54pm On Aug 18, 2017
This was after they were arrested alongside two other ladies and a proprietor of an alleged baby factory in the state.

14 Likes

Re: Give Us Our Real Babies, Mothers Tell Enugu Govt (photo) by Nobody: 4:54pm On Aug 18, 2017
Ahan ogini? Beware of Moonlight hospital.
Re: Give Us Our Real Babies, Mothers Tell Enugu Govt (photo) by Nobody: 4:55pm On Aug 18, 2017

Re: Give Us Our Real Babies, Mothers Tell Enugu Govt (photo) by Amoxman(m): 4:56pm On Aug 18, 2017
Na wah o
Re: Give Us Our Real Babies, Mothers Tell Enugu Govt (photo) by Hardeysolution(m): 4:56pm On Aug 18, 2017
This is funny
Re: Give Us Our Real Babies, Mothers Tell Enugu Govt (photo) by Nennaj(m): 4:56pm On Aug 18, 2017
wristbangle:
I stop reading when I got the point where the ladies said the babies given to them from the state of gender affairs are younger to what their babies should look like.

Can we say their real babies has been trafficked?

Nice point
Re: Give Us Our Real Babies, Mothers Tell Enugu Govt (photo) by Pavore9: 4:57pm On Aug 18, 2017
Sad.
Re: Give Us Our Real Babies, Mothers Tell Enugu Govt (photo) by Karlman: 4:58pm On Aug 18, 2017
Re: Give Us Our Real Babies, Mothers Tell Enugu Govt (photo) by 1shortblackboy: 4:58pm On Aug 18, 2017
D kind thing wey dey happen for this country go dey make devil sef to shout "jesus is lord"! " the apostle must hear this"
Re: Give Us Our Real Babies, Mothers Tell Enugu Govt (photo) by MhizzAJ(f): 4:59pm On Aug 18, 2017
When will Nigeria get better

2 Likes

Re: Give Us Our Real Babies, Mothers Tell Enugu Govt (photo) by senier007(m): 4:59pm On Aug 18, 2017
All hail our people
Instead of their leaders to fight common social vices like organized crime, fraud, child trafficking, money ritual, kidnapping, baby factory and the rest
They are busy shouting marginalization
They are busy fighting for their pocket
And the evil is still growing to monster
Imagine selling your pikin for 50k
[/b]but they have the audacity to criticize the north for having almajiri, it's far better to keep your child and fend for him than sell him for small token and you still call yourselve mother, that's the only good news coming out from LAND OF THE RISING SUN [b]

3 Likes

Re: Give Us Our Real Babies, Mothers Tell Enugu Govt (photo) by lastmaster(m): 4:59pm On Aug 18, 2017
E-warriors, food don done
Re: Give Us Our Real Babies, Mothers Tell Enugu Govt (photo) by matuskyoo7(m): 5:00pm On Aug 18, 2017
I fear Una..if govt can be accused of such embarrassing thing like this..Enugu Govt Una try oo
Re: Give Us Our Real Babies, Mothers Tell Enugu Govt (photo) by SkenolProp(m): 5:00pm On Aug 18, 2017
lipsrsealed
Re: Give Us Our Real Babies, Mothers Tell Enugu Govt (photo) by Nobody: 5:01pm On Aug 18, 2017
I avoid coming online these days. The more I read Nigerian issues, the more I smoke weed.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Us Our Real Babies, Mothers Tell Enugu Govt (photo) by SkenolProp(m): 5:01pm On Aug 18, 2017
Wicked people everywhere #MY PROFILE
Re: Give Us Our Real Babies, Mothers Tell Enugu Govt (photo) by daysatbk(m): 5:03pm On Aug 18, 2017
this one weak me

1 Like

Re: Give Us Our Real Babies, Mothers Tell Enugu Govt (photo) by Oluwaseyi456(m): 5:15pm On Aug 18, 2017
Fake
Re: Give Us Our Real Babies, Mothers Tell Enugu Govt (photo) by Quality20(m): 5:16pm On Aug 18, 2017
These igbo or biafrans abi na ipob don't even have much population yet they still sell their children to ritualists or traffic them to any place where there are buyers. Kano and katsina states' population more than tripled d 5 tiny Ibo local govt they call states

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage / Few Weeks To Wedding, Young Lady Jumps Down From Speeding Vehicle And Dies / How to Ask Your Girlfriend's Parents For Her Hand in Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.