Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,584 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:46 PM

10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers (24007 Views)

20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” / 5 Most Important Things You Need To Know About Speaking In Tongue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by kkins25(m): 12:29pm On Aug 20, 2017
Since I was a little kid ive always known speaking in tongues was BS. the pentecostal idea of speaking in tongues is completely nonsense. All "words" uttered are simply gibberish and utterance of a 2 year old baby. gu gu ga ga.
Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by kkins25(m): 12:35pm On Aug 20, 2017
otr1:

I think the person who responded to the salient points raised by Stevenson is economical with the truth and only danced around the points, avoiding, or rather, ignoring some parts of it.
Tongue-talkers lay claim to speaking in some angelic/heavenly tongues, not some earthly languages. So the argument of whether tongue talkers are speaking in one of the thousands of existing and lost earthly languages does not suffice. So, with the claim of speaking the tongues of angels, variations in tones that seems to correlate to the language of the various speakers, should not come up. Or shall we say Angels do have different dialects in heaven?
More so, most tongue speaking I know and hear do not bear any semblance to any language, living or dead. They are mostly repetition of few phrases, all the time.

In my own opinion, the argument is not whether the tongues vary with speakers, it is about whether it is biblical at all. Our generation is witnessing the growing menace of satanic activity in the realm of the miraculous. Where the Devil does not succeed in taking the Bible from us, he works hard at taking us from the Bible. And he succeeds in getting Christians to focus their attention on the claims of men and women to some supernatural experience, and in so doing those seekers after the experiences of others have neither time nor interest in searching the Scriptures for God’s truth.
It would be an arbitrary and strange interpretation of Scripture that would make tongues-speaking in the New Testament anything other than known languages. There is no trace of Scriptural evidence that tongues were ever heard by anyone as incoherent, incomprehensible babbling.
All the usages of tongues in Paul’s treatment of the subject refer to foreign languages.
“So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into air” ( 1 Corinthians 14:9).
There is no reason for anyone to speak except to converse intelligibly. The Greek word laleo means “I speak.” The word is never used for mere sound or noise. Nor is it used for a mere muttering of unintelligible gibberish. The tongues-speaking in the New Testament was in the native languages of hearing people, and not some angelic/heaven tongues.
I think the gift of tongues is irrelevant past the time when the Bible was being written. "if there be tongue, it shall cease"..." that the imperfect may give way to the perfect".
We now have the written Word of God in almost all the languages of the world and anyone can evangelize in any part of the world speaking only the language he understands- we now have people who have learned one or more languages apart from theirs who can interprete. This is why we didn't hear or read of anything close to what happened at pentecost after the 1st century. That which is perfect "The Bible" is here. So no more need for gifts of languages, neither are we required to pray to God in an "unknown" tongues (assuming there is anything like it). Peace.
the truth has been spoken.
Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by SirImole(m): 12:35pm On Aug 20, 2017
It seems the poster just heard "glossolalia"?
Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by microsofttutor(m): 12:35pm On Aug 20, 2017
READ THESE 3 VERY BEAUTIFUL PRAYERS VERY USEFUL TO A DYING CHRISTIAN at http://www.knowledgecrave.com/2017/07/3-very-beautiful-prayers-for-dying-catholics.html
Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by kkins25(m): 12:39pm On Aug 20, 2017
otr1:

I think the person who responded to the salient points raised by Stevenson is economical with the truth and only danced around the points, avoiding, or rather, ignoring some parts of it.
Tongue-talkers lay claim to speaking in some angelic/heavenly tongues, not some earthly languages. So the argument of whether tongue talkers are speaking in one of the thousands of existing and lost earthly languages does not suffice. So, with the claim of speaking the tongues of angels, variations in tones that seems to correlate to the language of the various speakers, should not come up. Or shall we say Angels do have different dialects in heaven?
More so, most tongue speaking I know and hear do not bear any semblance to any language, living or dead. They are mostly repetition of few phrases, all the time.

In my own opinion, the argument is not whether the tongues vary with speakers, it is about whether it is biblical at all. Our generation is witnessing the growing menace of satanic activity in the realm of the miraculous. Where the Devil does not succeed in taking the Bible from us, he works hard at taking us from the Bible. And he succeeds in getting Christians to focus their attention on the claims of men and women to some supernatural experience, and in so doing those seekers after the experiences of others have neither time nor interest in searching the Scriptures for God’s truth.
It would be an arbitrary and strange interpretation of Scripture that would make tongues-speaking in the New Testament anything other than known languages. There is no trace of Scriptural evidence that tongues were ever heard by anyone as incoherent, incomprehensible babbling.
All the usages of tongues in Paul’s treatment of the subject refer to foreign languages.
“So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into air” ( 1 Corinthians 14:9).
There is no reason for anyone to speak except to converse intelligibly. The Greek word laleo means “I speak.” The word is never used for mere sound or noise. Nor is it used for a mere muttering of unintelligible gibberish. The tongues-speaking in the New Testament was in the native languages of hearing people, and not some angelic/heaven tongues.
I think the gift of tongues is irrelevant past the time when the Bible was being written. "if there be tongue, it shall cease"..." that the imperfect may give way to the perfect".
We now have the written Word of God in almost all the languages of the world and anyone can evangelize in any part of the world speaking only the language he understands- we now have people who have learned one or more languages apart from theirs who can interprete. This is why we didn't hear or read of anything close to what happened at pentecost after the 1st century. That which is perfect "The Bible" is here. So no more need for gifts of languages, neither are we required to pray to God in an "unknown" tongues (assuming there is anything like it). Peace.
adjoviomole:
Speaking in tongues is not speaking gibberish......... The Bible said you will speak in tongues according to how the holy spirit gives you to speak.

You cannot speak in tongues except the holy ghost comes upon you. If you are a sinner and you think you are speaking in tongues, you are deceiving yourself.

When you speak in tongue you will speak a definite language spoken here on earth, a language you have never spoken, you will speak it fluently.....

The disciples spoke in tongues and those who heard them understood what they were saying.

A stark illiterate old woman in my church in Ibadan, she was saved, sanctified and when she was baptised with the holy spirit she spoke fluent Queens English for a while as the spirit took control..

Speaking in tongues is not rabAraba reke bababababab bobo bobo, lababosh blah blah blah......
ha ha ha ha ha. saga laga bosh!!! no mind these fake pastors and decieved folks thinking blabobobobobabababuhari na tongues.

otr1:

1 Like

Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by Marvel1206: 12:41pm On Aug 20, 2017
adjoviomole:
Speaking in tongues is not speaking gibberish......... The Bible said you will speak in tongues according to how the holy spirit gives you to speak.

You cannot speak in tongues except the holy ghost comes upon you. If you are a sinner and you think you are speaking in tongues, you are deceiving yourself.

When you speak in tongue you will speak a definite language spoken here on earth, a language you have never spoken, you will speak it fluently.....

The disciples spoke in tongues and those who heard them understood what they were saying.

A stark illiterate old woman in my church in Ibadan, she was saved, sanctified and when she was baptised with the holy spirit she spoke fluent Queens English for a while as the spirit took control..

Speaking in tongues is not rabAraba reke bababababab bobo bobo, lababosh blah blah blah......
Lol. grin
Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by sampatdikachi(m): 12:43pm On Aug 20, 2017
OP, I didn't read the long epistle you posted but let me ask you, are we not supposed to speak in tongues anything we are filled with the Holy Spirit just as it happened in the upper room? undecided

1 Like

Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by donsiqua(m): 12:52pm On Aug 20, 2017
Fake Christians everywhere. They call that noise they make in 'church's speaking in tongues. Fools keep deceiving themselves.
Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by pryme(m): 1:17pm On Aug 20, 2017
otr1:

This is a well written brilliant piece.

1 Like

Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by vicardino(m): 1:28pm On Aug 20, 2017
This is what happens when we read but we don't consult the Spirit for the interpretation of what we have read. Everyone thinks he can successfully and correctly give an exact interpretation of scriptural verses without contacting the Author. 2Tim 3:16-17. Secondly, you need not argue on whatever it is you don't believe in probably because you haven't experienced it. That you haven't experienced Holy Spirit and gift of tongues doesn't mean there's nothing like it. God works in diverse ways and that's why He is God, trying to know all his ways or justify his doings according to your infinitesimal brain He has given u will only destroy u. I could see people making reference to 1 cor 14:9 and interpreting it out of context to justify their narratives but how come you ain't making reference to 1 cor 14:2 &4?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by ayokellany: 2:25pm On Aug 20, 2017
adjoviomole:

Keep fooling yourself n your god. You are definitely not fooling the Almighty God. Queen English ko, King French ni.
Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by Ade3000yrs(m): 3:37pm On Aug 20, 2017
Hmm
Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by Oracle16(m): 4:09pm On Aug 20, 2017
1 Corinthians 14:2 For He that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit He speaketh mysteries.

Please, you guys should quit saying what you don't know.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by Damdeyz(m): 7:00pm On Aug 20, 2017
vicardino:
This is what happens when we read but we don't consult the Spirit for the interpretation of what we have read. Everyone thinks he can successfully and correctly give an exact interpretation of scriptural verses without contacting the Author. 2Tim 3:16-17. Secondly, you need not argue on whatever it is you don't believe in probably because you haven't experienced it. That you haven't experienced Holy Spirit and gift of tongues doesn't mean there's nothing like it. God works in diverse ways and that's why He is God, trying to know all his ways or justify his doings according to your infinitesimal brain He has given u will only destroy u. I could see people making reference to 1 cor 14:9 and interpreting it out of context to justify their narratives but how come you ain't making reference to 1 cor 14:2 &4?
... Okay Very True, 1cor 14:2& 4 were not explained, but how come there are never any able interpreters in today's vast christendom?
Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by uvalued(m): 7:33pm On Aug 20, 2017
otr1:

one thing i notice with your answer is you hardly take a point and trash it out but jumble mumbleeverything and that is not healthy in a discourse.. d.stevenson too points made by yuri and address it. you take his points and address it will make an interesting read. hope you follow my drift.

editted

now if i may ask you, with all you took time to address which of the 10 response by d.stevenson are you addressing.
Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by uvalued(m): 8:03pm On Aug 20, 2017
grandstar:
In the account in Acts of the Apostles, foriwgm speaking Jews understood when they spoke in tongues.

Nowadays, what they utter is gibberish.

The Economist magazine said they are, "blabbing nonsense!"

please read this my quote and you will understand why mocking is not new

11. Why did all present IN acts 2 hear the apostle speaking in intelligent language not the unintelligent gibberrish and grunts
i sometimes wonder how some selectively choose to ignore those that heard the apostles and mocked them.

in experiments, we have two set test group and control group . the test group are the various people of different language who heard THEM in their language by the miracle of the Spirit while the control group are those in vs 13 which after hearing the apostles said

13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.

therefore the control group give us an understanding that what they heard was what made them mock them and how can it be intelligently spoken?
Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by Nobody: 9:55pm On Aug 20, 2017
lolz ,,,,, I Wonder what this post is doing here...... well what I notice is "one trying to defend his views" but that no ones businesses ...... if you take that as your view concerning tongues it's your choice .............

you aren't convincing others.... neither are you convinced by them.........

although I don't agree with your views sha............ it's common with the "no one understand tongues party"
Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by otr1(m): 10:12pm On Aug 20, 2017
uvalued:

one thing i notice with your answer is you hardly take a point and trash it out but jumble mumbleeverything and that is not healthy in a discourse.. d.stevenson too points made by yuri and address it. you take his points and address it will make an interesting read. hope you follow my drift.

editted

now if i may ask you, with all you took time to address which of the 10 response by d.stevenson are you addressing.
I'm not addressing any Stevenson's point, I only responded to the response given by one of his readers, which you quoted here. He contended Stevenson's question about the variations in tongues among various groups/individual tongue-talkers and was trying to justify the variation. With the response I gave, I don't think I drifted from the main point.
Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by OBJlive: 10:31pm On Aug 20, 2017
Read Mark16v17-18 and you will be cleared on what Jesus said
Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by nwakaibeya1: 11:03pm On Aug 20, 2017
knowing JESUSCHRIST is all about Peace&UNBELIEVABLE power&light #do you sleep peacefully at night without evil oppression&EVIL molestation is our question? behold whoever leads you to JESUS Christ must give you PEACE&empowerment&light that's what JESUS saves and BORNAGAIN or knowing Jesus Christ means&if those are lacking in you then you must seek Jesus Christ truly&be empowered because Jesus Christ owns the power the evil people you fear uses&thats why he said all power have been given to me &I am.the light of the world if you know Jesus Christ the light&power automatically becomes yours same as we are able to share to whoever comes to.us&that's the confidence of mantle authority&our ability to take you to real JesusChrist without suffering you with fasting &night vigil & program upon programmes.test&see that it's very easy to follow JesusChrist . Mathew 13,13-15

Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by otr1(m): 11:31pm On Aug 20, 2017
Oracle16:
1 Corinthians 14:2 For He that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit He speaketh mysteries.

Please, you guys should quit saying what you don't know.
Firstly, Paul didn't refer to what happened at pentecost or anything remotely like it, "unknown tongue". If you check your Bible, you'll notice that the "unknown" is italicized. It could only mean one thing; "unknown" is not in the original manuscript and was only supplied by Translators for emphasis sake. So the issue of an unknown tongue in the Bible does not suffice. In this chapter, as with chapter 12 and 13, Apostle Paul wrote this letter to the Church in Corinth to correct the abuse of the use of the gift of tongues.
How else do you want him to address the issue of believers addressing the congregation in a language unknown to them, without interpreting or anyone available to interprete?
If I started to address a group of Igbo men in Yoruba language. They don't understand and there is no one to interprete. Who am I speaking to? God, of course, because my audience can not understand my language. That's exactly what 1 Cor 14:2 is saying.
The abuse of this gift was so rife in the Corinthian church that everyone with this gift would show off their ability (self edification; 1 Cor. 14:4a- a selfish thing to do) to speak in other languages regardless if others understand or not (verse 23). Is this not why we read Paul in verse 9 saying " ...except ye utter by the tongue words to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? For ye shall speak into the air"?
If you really didn't stop reading that chapter in verse 2 and finish reading all with open mind, you will understand that Paul was seeking moderacy in the exercise of the gift of speaking other languages in the Church at Corinth, and not talking about the types of tongues we have today. The moment you imagine tongue in that chapter to mean human languages (which is what it is), everything will make a complete sense to you.
Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by Respect55(m): 12:18am On Aug 21, 2017
A carnal man does not understand the things of the spirit.
Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by kkins25(m): 6:43am On Aug 21, 2017
Originalsly:
Lol...what hard questions? ...OP is full of it...just like those who be making noise mocking God but seriously claiming they be speaking in tongues.... just like the Diciples did on the Day of Pentecost.
Can a tongue speaker ...one who the Holy Spirit gives the gift on Sundays only during the time slot allowed by the Pastor...help me understand why the one speaking in tongue has no clue what he's saying?...nor those around him?. I thought the Bible said if this is the case he should basically sit down and shut up... so why do the opposite? ...keep standing and shouting in church?...isn't this the direct opposite of what God instructed?..then how can one claim to be on God's side when he is doing the direct opposite? ...let me go check what the Bible says about hypocrites.....while I wait for an answer... and pleaseeeeeee..... don't serve me the "some things are spiritual and only the spiritual minds will understand" answer.
Even the ppl speaking in so called tongues dont know what dey are saying!!!
Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by uvalued(m): 7:42am On Aug 21, 2017
otr1:

I'm not addressing any Stevenson's point, I only responded to the response given by one of his readers, which you quoted here. He contended Stevenson's question about the variations in tongues among various groups/individual tongue-talkers and was trying to justify the variation. With the response I gave, I don't think I drifted from the main point.
okay let me clarify issues here yuri stated the 10 assumed hard questions while d. steveson answered yuri assumed had questions. hope this helps you to keep it in perspective. smiley
Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by uvalued(m): 7:45am On Aug 21, 2017
kkins25:

Even the ppl speaking in so called tongues dont know what dey are saying!!!

true you confirmed what paul already said

1cor 14

2  For the one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people but to God, because no one understands , but by the Spirit he speaks mysteries.
Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by vicardino(m): 8:51am On Aug 21, 2017
No, I really won't wanna subscribe to your observation, though a somehow, somewhat valid one. To start with, there are diverse gifts of HOLY SPIRIT out of which speaking in tongues, vision, discerning of the spirit, words of knowledge, healing anointing and so on are all parts of, same as interpretation of tongues. And I wanna believe you know what these gifts are meant for, primarily for the advancement of the kingdom of God. Christians of nowadays are too shallow-minded, too carnal oriented and spiritual disoriented. There are very very very few Christians nowadays but uncountable numbers of just church goers. Our shallow mindedness is what is limiting the experience of the raw power of God and manifestations of the Spirit of God. Do u know that the least of the gifts of Spirit is "speaking in tongues"? That's like the entrance of a new world as far as the gifts of d Spirit is concerned. Speaking in tongues is like the key to open a room full of spiritual goodies and uncountable numbers of "Christians" have been speaking in tongues for years without gaining any other gifts, not because other gifts ain't available or accessible but because they aren't conscious of delving further to acquire other gifts. Apostle Paul had every gifts cos he was conscious, he spoke in tongues more than every other Apostles. Bro, if you can speak in tongues, long more for other gifts, keep longing, keep striving and you will get it. Be less concerned with happenings in the Christiandom but be more concerned with your status before God. Till date, I keep witnessing genuine, sound and raw interpretation of tongues but not in mega churches or happening churches (i believe u know what I mean). Those that are called into the Apostolic ministry have preference and every willing child of God.
Damdeyz:
... Okay Very True, 1cor 14:2& 4 were not explained, but how come there are never any able interpreters in today's vast christendom?
Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by otr1(m): 9:06am On Aug 21, 2017
uvalued:

okay let me clarify issues here yuri stated the 10 assumed hard questions while d. steveson answered yuri assumed had questions. hope this helps you to keep it in perspective. smiley
A missed up in name.
Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by otr1(m): 9:20am On Aug 21, 2017
vicardino:
No, I really won't wanna subscribe to your observation, though a somehow, somewhat valid one. To start with, there are diverse gifts of HOLY SPIRIT out of which speaking in tongues, vision, discerning of the spirit, words of knowledge, healing anointing and so on are all parts of, same as interpretation of tongues. And I wanna believe you know what these gifts are meant for, primarily for the advancement of the kingdom of God. Christians of nowadays are too shallow-minded, too carnal oriented and spiritual disoriented. There are very very very few Christians nowadays but uncountable numbers of just church goers. Our shallow mindedness is what is limiting the experience of the raw power of God and manifestations of the Spirit of God. Do u know that the least of the gifts of Spirit is "speaking in tongues"? That's like the entrance of a new world as far as the gifts of d Spirit is concerned. Speaking in tongues is like the key to open a room full of spiritual goodies and uncountable numbers of "Christians" have been speaking in tongues for years without gaining any other gifts, not because other gifts ain't available or accessible but because they aren't conscious of delving further to acquire other gifts. Apostle Paul had every gifts cos he was conscious, he spoke in tongues more than every other Apostles. Bro, if you can speak in tongues, long more for other gifts, keep longing, keep striving and you will get it. Be less concerned with happenings in the Christiandom but be more concerned with your status before God. Till date, I keep witnessing genuine, sound and raw interpretation of tongues but not in mega churches or happening churches (i believe u know what I mean). Those that are called into the Apostolic ministry have preference and every willing child of God.
You're wrong Bro. The Holy Spirit gives the gifts sovereingnly and not by us seeking (1 Cor. 12:4-11). And besides, nobody has all the gifts, not Paul, not any of the Apostles (1 Cor. 12:28-31). The Scripture is clear on this. And no where in the Bible was it stated that speaking in tongues is the gateway to other gifts of the spirit. If it is, it won't be the least of them, but the most important. Don't mislead anyone here. We have a standard by which we judge- the Scripture.

1 Like

Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by vicardino(m): 12:32pm On Aug 21, 2017
The difference between u and I is simple. I say what not know alone but what I have experienced and keep experiencing but you, I don't know what you are trying to get. You remember the story of Apostle paul and Elymas? Act 13:1-12. Are you an Elymas? I will take the pains of answering you and your standard by which you judge.

You said the Holy Spirit gives d gift sovereignly and not by seeking and u quoted 1 cor 12:4-11. Good, let's use the same chapter u quoted to dissect ur claim. 1cor 12:31 "BUT COVET EARNESTLY THE BEST GIFTS: and yet I shew unto you a more excellent way. Lemme explain that verse, Contextually, the "BUT" there is a command for all believers to covet earnestly d gifts and the "COVET" there in greek means "zelos" means "zeal, hunger, eagerness, strong passion and so on". Same zelos used in Matt 6:33 "BUT SEEK ye first the kingdom of God .... Apostle paul has commanded every believer to SEEK, ZELOS, EAGER, HUNGER, HAVE PASSION, RIVAL FOR THE GIFTS and not as you claimed bro. I will still give u further illustration. I pointed it out here yesterday that some folks were quoting 1 cor 14 out of context to fit their narratives, got surprised I wasn't quoted on that. Let's examine 1 cor 14:1, d popular scripture quoted yesterday "Follow after charity and "DESIRE spiritual gifts. I want to believe we know the meaning of that DESIRE, so if u claimed we don't need to seek for the gifts of the spirit, it means we don't need to have passion or zeal or hunger or desire for it, then are the scriptures I have quoted wrong? What was Jesus saying in Matt 7:7-11? Ask and it shall be given, Seek and you shall find, Knock and it shall be opened unto you. If you really knew the scripture, you should know what these verses mean. I want to believe I have put to bed the issue of we don't need to seek for d gifts of the spirit. You can't get what you don't seek and if you have one you got without seeking, maybe just maybe it's from a wrong source.

Second claim: Nobody has all d gifts, not Paul, not any of the Apostles. Lemme lay a foundation here from John 3:34 "For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth NOT the SPIRIT by MEASURE unto him". I believe we understand spiritual happenings when one gives his life to Christ, you receive a measure of God's spirit and in your daily work with God, u attain the fullness of the Spirit. There's measure and there's fullness. John 3:34 already shows that Jesus had all the gifts of the Spirit. Now let's look at something interesting

Romans 8:17 says we are heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if Christ got the Spirit without measure, what does this mean to u as a joint heir?

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father (John 14:12). If Jesus did all that woks he did cos he got the fullness of the Spirit and it's not possible for anyone to have all(fullness) of the Spiritual gifts (as u claimed), how could Jesus then have said "He that believeth on him, will do the works he did and greater works"?? I know this may not be the milk but it's a bone, i'm sure you know the comparison between milk and bone in the scripture.

Now to use Apostle Paul as an illustration. Romans 15:29 "And i am sure that when I come unto you, I shall come in the FULLNESS of the blessing of the gospel of Christ" How do we know he was referring to "FULLNESS of gifts of the Spirit here"? Let's look at Romans 1:11 "For I long to see you that I may impart unto you some SPIRITUAL GIFT, to the end ye may be established" I'm sure we can relate and understand these two verses.

And to cap it up, when God didn't promise us measure of his Spirit in these last days, he promised us "OUTPOUR" not drops of drizzles, it all depends on every believer's willingness to pay the sacrifice for it. Joel 2:28-29 was when the promise was made, Act 2:1-21, d fulfillment of the promise and God is still fulfilling the promise of OUTPOUR and not measure.

Also worthy of note Act 2:4 And they were ALL FILLED with the Holy Ghost. Not they were given by measure but they were FILLED(FULLNESS). Bro, that no one can receive all(fullness) of spirit gifts is misnomer. Could have explained more but writing ain't my forte.

And lastly, about what I said that speaking in tongues is a gateway to other gifts, how do you stand before God to access other gifts? I have pointed it out that it's by seeking for d gifts, which Apostle paul said by praying and the best form of prayer you can render is by praying in the Spirit Eph 6:18 which is what you do when you speak in tongues, u are accessing God's throne better than praying otherwise because the Bible even says "for we know not how to pray but the SPIRIT itself intercedes for us with groanings which we cannot UTTER. Romans 8:26. You can't assess the spirit gifts except only by ur spirit and you bring in ur spirit by speaking in tongues. This is a practical thing, an experience, u don't stay before God in ur spirit, speaking with God and not getting deeper and deeper. Genesis is the first chapter of the Bible but u don't know God by reciting Genesis alone. Just an illustration. Speaking in tongues does more, I haven't even touched what it does. Maybe you agree with all these apocalypse or not, I believe it will at least make a soul search more into the scripture and search to know more of God. Sorry for the epistle and my explanation.

otr1:

You're wrong Bro. The Holy Spirit gives the gifts sovereingnly and not by us seeking (1 Cor. 12:4-11). And besides, nobody has all the gifts, not Paul, not any of the Apostles (1 Cor. 12:28-31). The Scripture is clear on this. And no where in the Bible was it stated that speaking in tongues is the gateway to other gifts of the spirit. If it is, it won't be the least of them, but the most important. Don't mislead anyone here. We have a standard by which we judge- the Scripture.

1 Like

Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by kkins25(m): 12:47pm On Aug 21, 2017
uvalued:

true you confirmed what paul already said

1cor 14
For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church. For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful

read at bold.
Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by adjoviomole(m): 6:02pm On Aug 21, 2017
ayokellany:

Keep fooling yourself n your god. You are definitely not fooling the Almighty God. Queen English ko, King French ni.

I don't throw tantrums. If you want to experience it yourself. Come to the apostolic faith Church. This is no hear say.
Re: 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers by uvalued(m): 3:52am On Aug 22, 2017
otr1:

I will address when I have time. The reasons are biblical.

to make our discussion more enlightened, this i wish to inow of you..which of this do you subscribe to

a. man consist of spirit, soul and body

or

b. man consist of body and soul.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos Imam Invited To Pray At House-Warming Is Missing (Photo) / Simeon Chinedu Ononogbu: My Wrong Super Falcons Prediction / William Kumuyi Celebrates His 74th Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.