Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,905 members, 7,802,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:09 AM

Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose (16323 Views)

Tope Akinyode: Arrest Oshiomhole For Treasonable Comment - Lawyer To FG / IGP Adamu Warns Against 'Revolution Now', Calls it "treasonable felony" / 'law Enforcement Agencies Should Fish Out People Who Make Hate Speech - Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose by Teespice(f): 8:40pm On Aug 19, 2017
dear God,

dash this man sense.

how does hate speech amount to silencing the opposition?
hate speech is the reason why the polity has been heated up.

fayose, there is a clear difference between criticism and hate speech. think before you want to talk.

lest I forget, less talk and more development in ekiti. it is not by stomach infrastructure.

4 Likes

Re: Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose by abbey621(m): 8:41pm On Aug 19, 2017
Xda59:

You are ignorant. How do the advanced countries discourage hate speeches if not through punishment under the law?

Wow...starting with an insult, very clever way to pass your point across, learn some manners maybe then I would answer your question!
Re: Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose by TIDDOLL(m): 8:42pm On Aug 19, 2017
Dude is so so stupid...
Does he use his brain at all undecided

1 Like

Re: Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose by ndcide(m): 8:49pm On Aug 19, 2017
Guestlander:

Calling Buhari a Daura president is not hate speech but calling Daura people goats and animals is definitely hate speech.
All hateful rhetorics targeting a person or a group of people based on their religion, race, nationality, ethnic background or sexual orientation will qualify as hate speech.
It is up to Fayose to determine if his own speeches fall into any of the categories.
Calling someone a flatiron may sound funny but it will qualify as hate speech.

I think you should read my post again.

Besides, I don't see any of Fayose's positions since buhari became president, as hate speech. Of course, any supporter of buhari government will be uncomfortable seeing people consistently speaking truth to power.

Also, Fayose's position with this press release, is about the government regarding criticism against them as hate speech as they do with their selective corruption fight. That's the point. Let's not pretend about it.

Now, you noticed, "daura dulllardd" changed to daura President?

Was, odechukwu, kindergarten President, clueless President, ineffectual buffoon, etc, censored on nairaland? That's what we are talking about. Again, I say, let's get real.

1 Like

Re: Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose by Daboomb: 8:50pm On Aug 19, 2017
Cinkq:
Gov. Fayose is wrong, the latest fg decision to curtail hate speeches is a necessary measure that can stop us from provoking ourselves into serious conflict. #hate speech can cause war

What Fowl-yose is saying is that:
I am totally against hate speech if it is directed at me, PDP or those l like but if l make it or direct it at APC or those l do not like, Federal Govt should just not try to do anything about it!

I nor tell you say this Ifa-yose is suffering MENTAL HAEMORRAGE?

2 Likes

Re: Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose by Daboomb: 8:53pm On Aug 19, 2017
Teespice:
dear God,

dash this man sense.

how does hate speech amount to silencing the opposition?
hate speech is the reason why the polity has been heated up.

fayose, there is a clear difference between criticism and hate speech. think before you want to talk.

lest I forget, less talk and more development in ekiti. it is not by stomach infrastructure.

You know, there is something they say about THE GUILYTY ARE ALWAYS AFRAID!

Fayose and his likes know that they have been making hate speeches for the past two years and that era is about to be curbed, hence his rantings like a deranged pleb. undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose by Guestlander: 8:58pm On Aug 19, 2017
ndcide:

I think you should read my post again.

Besides, I don't see any of Fayose's positions since buhari became president, as hate speech. Of course, any supporter of buhari government will be uncomfortable seeing people consistently speaking truth to power.

Also, Fayose's position with this press release, is about the government regarding criticism against them as hate speech as they do with their selective corruption fight. That's the point. Let's not pretend about it.

Now, you noticed, "daura dulllardd" changed to daura President?

Was, odechukwu, kindergarten President, clueless President, ineffectual buffoon, etc, censored on nairaland? That's what we are talking about. Again, I say, let's get real.

The government did not mention anywhere that criticism of the government will amount to hate speech. None of the derogatory names for the former president will qualify as hate speech still. I don't think anything Fayose said about Buhari will qualify as hate speech. The question then is why is he raising an alarm where there is none. If the new bill is making grandstanding an offense then I would fear for Fayose's liberty.

2 Likes

Re: Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose by ItsMeAboki(m): 9:14pm On Aug 19, 2017
The FG is only muting the idea, they have not yet framed it into law; the unchanged should therefore wait until the govt does so, unless of course he believes being in the opposition means freedom to incite hatred and unrest among Nigerians.
Re: Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose by ndcide(m): 9:18pm On Aug 19, 2017
Guestlander:

The government did not mention anywhere that criticism of the government will amount to hate speech. None of the derogatory names for the former president will qualify as hate speech still. I don't think anything Fayose said about Buhari will qualify as hate speech. The question then is why is he raising an alarm where there is none. If the new bill is making grandstanding an offense then I would fear for Fayose's liberty.

Fayose is much in order to raise alarm, knowing the antecedents of this government to silence any voice that speaks truth to power, by all means. No vocal critic have been spared including fayose himself. Look at all their supporters, no one hales buhari on good governance, rather on how he will deal with people.

Now you say, derogatory names of the former president is not hate speech, no problem. You can't be so sure such names for buhari won't be regarded as hate speech. The name I posted earlier, is even censored on nairaland. Remember the wailing wailers came about when, people asked buhari to form government and stop wasting time.

Fayose's alarm is preemptive and absolutely in order.
Re: Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose by Guestlander: 9:34pm On Aug 19, 2017
ndcide:

Fayose is much in order to raise alarm, knowing the antecedents of this government to silence any voice that speaks truth to power, by all means. No vocal critic have been spared including fayose himself. Look at all their supporters, no one hales buhari on good governance, rather on how he will deal with people.

Now you say, derogatory names of the former president is not hate speech, no problem. You can't be so sure such names for buhari won't be regarded as hate speech. The name I posted earlier, is even censored on nairaland. Remember the wailing wailers came about when, people asked buhari to form government and stop wasting time.

Fayose's alarm is preemptive and absolutely in order.

Fayose is just playing politics. Has anyone been arrested or sent to jail for criticizing the government? I don't think anyone has been arrested for criticizing the government since the military went back to their barracks.
Fayose was trying to score a cheap political point with his statement. Lest we forget, there's a real danger the country might descend into serious violence if the levels of hate mongering is not discouraged in the country.
All you have to do is log on to nairaland politics section and some other Nigerian websites to see what the government is concerned about. You might also want to check out radio biafra.
Re: Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose by Hephzibeulah: 9:43pm On Aug 19, 2017
ObiOmaMu:
The Governor of Ekiti State, Ayodele Fayose has reacted to plans by the Nigerian Government to make hate speech a treasonable offence. 

The Governor who released a statement through his media aide, Lere Olayinka, Fayose said the move is to silence opposition. Here's the statement; 

“I wish to express concern over the pronouncement of the Acting President, Prof Yemi Osinbajo that hate speech will henceforth be treated as terrorism. While I am totally against hate speech and will support any effort to curb it, it is important to caution the federal government on the danger inherent in the blanket categorisation of hate speech as treasonable. I make bold to say that saying the truth concerning the country and its rulers cannot be termed as hate speech.

I only hope Nigeria is not being systematically returned to the colonial days when the law of sedition was used to jail many of those who fought for our independence or the era of Buhari’s military regime when the notorious Public Officers (Protection against False accusation) Decree 4 of 1984 was used to jailTunde Thompson and NdukaIrabor, both of The Guardian newspapers for publishing what the government termed as false.

Most importantly, going by the APC government’s use of the so-called anti-corruption fight to harass, intimidate, arrest and detain opposition figures, there is no doubt that categorising whatever that is termed as hate speech as act of terrorism is unconstitutional and an attempt to gag Nigerians, especially the press. It should therefore not be seen that since the use of corruption to harass, arrest and detain opposition figures is no longer fashionable, hate speech will now be another instrument of oppression to be used against opposition.

The questions that must be answered by the federal government are; what constitutes hate speech andwho determines it? Has the Presidency becomes law unto itself such that it is now the one to determine what is an offense and what punishment to be applied? From all intent and purposes, the Acting President pronouncement which is obviously not backed by any legislation is an attempt to provide reasons for an impending clampdown on opposition and Nigerians will resist any attempt to mortgage their fundamental rights to freedom of expression under the guise of hate speeches. 

When the APC was looking for power, several provocative statements were made.  Nigerians are yet to forget President Buhari’s “the dog and the baboon would all be soaked in blood” hate speeches and the threat by the APC to form a parallel government. What can be more treasonable than these statements made by President Buhari and his party? 

It is also on record that during the 2011 election campaign, President Buhari’s inciting statement led to widespread violence by his supporters in the North after he lost. Over 1000 people were slaughtered in cold blood, including innocent National Youth Service Corp members. Therefore, even if the APC government is sincere with its new found hatred for hate speeches, the APC government must first apologise to Nigerians for being the number one promoter and beneficiary of hate speech. 

Also, rather than this blanket criminalising of hate speeches, the federal government should embark on reorientation of Nigerians, especially the youths on the consequences of hate speeches to the unity of the country while the confidence of the people in the government (at all levels) must be restored.”

http://www.lailasblog.com/plans-fg-make-hate-speech-treasonable-plot-silence-opposition-gov-ayodele-fayose/

Lalasticlala
This only means that Fayose doesn't know the difference between free speech and hate speech
Re: Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose by Habeyy(m): 9:51pm On Aug 19, 2017
abbey621:

Define hate speech? What constitutes hate? Is it speaking bad about a politician or going on social media and ranting? Is it the same rules for Southerners as Northerners? Is it free from religious or political affiliations? Even the advanced countries cannot ban hate speeches they can only discourage them because hate is subjective!
abbey u re always on point
Re: Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose by Aragon: 9:57pm On Aug 19, 2017
Cinkq:
Gov. Fayose is wrong, the latest fg decision to curtail hate speeches is a necessary measure that can stop us from provoking ourselves into serious conflict. #hate speech can cause war

Leave the Loud-Mouth alone. He has not heard of the Man called Hitler and how he used Hate Speech to Trigger 2nd World War and Kill 5milion Jews. The sad part of all these, is if War starts he will be the first to Run abroad with his Family while those praising him loose their lives
Re: Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose by Milestones: 10:00pm On Aug 19, 2017
NEPA TOOK LIGHT IN EKITI BECAUSE FAYOSE ATTEMPTED TO HUG A LIVE TRANSFORMER ON HEARING THAT BUHARI IS ON HIS WAY BACK TO NIGERIA.
Re: Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose by Beetobee(f): 10:13pm On Aug 19, 2017
Classic admission by Fayose that the opposition doesn't have the brain to critique this government; it only knows how to spew hate speech aimed at destroying the country. God pass una.

2 Likes

Re: Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose by suremanpatriot: 10:37pm On Aug 19, 2017
So you fayose knows that those your speeches are hate speeches,yet u use it to deceive ppl.
Can you imagine what guy is doing to his ppl.

1 Like

Re: Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose by degamemaster(m): 10:44pm On Aug 19, 2017
alizma:
u are still talking? when Kanu has taken a step back at the hearing of buhari's possible return today.
Kanu now in support of Anambra election. the fear of the GENERAL, dead or alive is what IPOD need to avoid Burutai and his men come November.
You are an irredeemable foolish fool. Continue living in fool's paradise and self deceit.
Re: Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose by FLYFIRE(m): 10:56pm On Aug 19, 2017
afonjay:
how sure are u because I ll vote apc n my family ll vote apc as well .
You are at liberty to vote whoever you want...unfortunately the lies that brought apc in last elections have all been exposed....you & your family will lose woefully with apc this time.
Re: Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose by emmaadigun(m): 11:13pm On Aug 19, 2017
Fayose needs a surgery So fast as possible......

2 Likes

Re: Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose by Horlufemi(m): 11:41pm On Aug 19, 2017
ShobayoEmma:
It's purely undemocratic.

Nigerians

Hate speech is speech which attacks a person or group on the basis of attributes such as race, religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, or gender.

I am disappointed with Fayose with this step he's taken

1 Like

Re: Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose by Horlufemi(m): 11:45pm On Aug 19, 2017
KKKWHITE:
In developed countries like USA have speech is not a crime And this indicate that Nigeria is not practising a true democracy

It's funny because most websites promoting hate speech are actively loosing support. Follow up on daily stormer and get back.
Re: Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose by IYIMAN: 11:51pm On Aug 19, 2017
*AS WE APPROACH NEXT GENERAL ELECTIONS COME 2019, PLEASE PONDER ON THESE STARK REALITIES/FACTS ON THE LIVES OF NIGERIAN POLITICIANS!*

1. Between 2007 and 2010, Tinubu spent virtually his last kobo to ensure he sent Segun Oni out of the Ekiti State Government House. He did. Today, Oni is the National Vice Chair of APC, a party same Tinubu, not another one o, is the National Leader.

2. Audu Ogbe once told opposition parties there was no vacancy in Aso Rock. He was National Chairman of the ruling PDP then. Today, he is a Minister under a government being controlled by that same opposition.

3. Tinubu once told Obasanjo that he was the "problem of Nigeria". But same Tinubu went to Obasanjo that they had finished the construction of the opposition ship. They wanted him to be the navigator! The old fox readily accepted.

4.Nasir El-Rufai, the diminutive Governor of Kaduna State, once told Buhari that he was not a presidential material. Today, not only is Buhari President but the loquacious El-Rufai is a Governor from Buhari's party. He bashes PDP to no end nowadays.

5. Fayose and Fayemi once mounted same rostrum, campaigning in Ekiti with Fayose carrying placard at his father's burial in 2009 that they should vote for Fayemi. In 2014, same Fayose contested against Fayemi and sent him to the Former Governors' Club.

6. Majority of top politicians shouting "APC, Change!" today, were shouting "PDP, Power!" in 2011!

7) Majority of the serving Senators were formerly either Governors or Senators under the one time biggest political party in Nigeria, in fact, some of the House of Reps members had served under PDP.

The list is endless... remember Oyinlola and Aregbesola in Osun State were once worst enemies, but now best of pals! Akala and Ajimobi in Oyo State used to be foes, but now friends.

Now, all these took place within the last TWELVE years! Not that they took place before you were born hence, you did not witness them. Therefore, if you still want to kill yourself because of any politician, please go ahead!

BY THE TIME THEY ARE BACK IN SAME PARTY IN 2019, WE WILL BE MARKING THE THIRD ANNIVERSARY OF YOUR STUPID BUT TIMELY DEATH!

Please share these and let them know that no politician is worth dying for.

OUR MUMU DON DO... (As shared).

1 Like

Re: Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose by alizma: 11:51pm On Aug 19, 2017
degamemaster:
You are an irredeemable foolish fool. Continue living in fool's paradise and self deceit.
e pain am. sorry bro
Re: Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose by Elbowroom: 7:23am On Aug 20, 2017
Fayose must be high on his olosho p*ssy
Drunk retard'

Brainless politifian

Exotic product from a shit hole from hell fire..
That's hate speech.. Hope you like it fayose?

Heheh
Re: Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose by favybrowny: 9:02am On Aug 20, 2017
Business Opportunity is here again
The world of wisdom for today wealth without sorrow''
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich not, and he addeth no sorrow with it. '' prov 10:22''. Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prospereth. '' 3 John 2.As at when we were born again, we were bless and prosper us beyond our wildest imagination except that he does not enforce his blessings upon us. He is waiting for us to tap into his undiminishing but ever - flowing wealth. Are you determined to be rich and wealthy? If yes, read on. Wisdom to make wealth cannot be transferred to another without the willingness to learn from the person that possess such skills. Everyone that is willing to pay the price for wealth no doubt can become wealthy. Such individual must learn not only how to create wealth but also how to manage and multiple it. If you are ready, there is a very Big Opportunity for you today at maintenance value Enterprises Logistics and information technology, a multi - level marketing global network with different. Here your health and wealth are guaranteed. A trial will excited and amaze you,. Are you from Abia, River State, onistha, akwa ibom, uyo, IMO,

We pay N60000 goes up... and for more information on how it works call or send sms to 08133289159
Mr. Henry Ndubisi
Email: mainvaluenter1234@gmail.com
A right step takes you closer to an healthy living and sorrow less_every flowing wealth
Re: Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose by Inova(m): 10:06am On Aug 20, 2017
unohbethel:

see this mumu...dont u know dat twas d hate speech of ya president that is causing all dis war mongering we see today. or are u telling me that u havent herd bout d dogs and babboons wil soak in blood?
Haba . Which one do you represent. Are you a dog or a baboon?
Did he mention human beings.
You are also free to use metaphors.
And by the way he said it once and did not rub the threat to our faces like you guys are doing?
There's no day that doesn't go by without a hate speech from the SE. Haba.
Re: Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose by unohbethel(m): 10:21am On Aug 20, 2017
Inova:

Haba . Which one do you represent. Are you a dog or a baboon?
Did he mention human beings.
You are also free to use metaphors.
And by the way he said it once and did not rub the threat to our faces like you guys are doing?
There's no day that doesn't go by without a hate speech from the SE. Haba.

are u for real..pls do u live in nigeria?

so u dont listen to news or wah?
buhari said dat if he losses the election, dogs and babbon will soak in blood ..so tel me wat does dat mean? wo he is referin to?

FYI that statement was made in 2011, are u telling me dat u didnt know about the violence that ensued in da north after he lost dat election..leading to d killings of even youth corps members? u didnt read about them or wat?

also shud such statement be coming out of a person that wants to be presidnt?
not only dat he said it, but it was carried out.

thats y are asked u whether ur livin in nigeria and didnt know or that..

#shameful
Re: Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose by geez18(m): 10:21am On Aug 20, 2017
i hope Buhari and Osinbajo are aiming their hate speech rhetorics at the Arewa youths? the hate speeches those northern nonentities have been spewing these past months, all in the name of trying to coarse IPOB into abandoning their pursuit of self determination, is quite appalling.

APC, always seeking ways to divert attention from their inadequacies. now they want to stylishly enact gag orders in other to silence the opposition. what happened to seeking redress in court if you feel you've been slandered or defamed? if your freedom of speech, which is a God given right, is taken away from you, all in name of curbing hate speeches, what then do we say of the people from the north who have been killing and maiming innocent people for just no reason? should'nt they face stiffer punishments?

but alas! nobody is questioned. no culprits arrested. no justice delivered.

if seeking justice in an enclave where injustice has been the norm is now termed hate speeches, then by all means, hate speeches are here to stay. we all know the phrase "hate speeches" was coined as a result of Nnamdi Kanu and IPOB seeking redress for a lifetime of marginalization and injustice suffered in the hands of nigerians.
Re: Plans To Make Hate Speech Treasonable Is A Plot To Silence Opposition - Fayose by Reference(m): 6:44pm On Aug 20, 2017
Of course. They now see the danger of what they started years ago. For them its good morning.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG To Channel Recovered $322m Abacha Loot To Social Safety Nets- Adeosun Reveals / Sanwo-olu To Participate In Ajegunle Community Football Tournament / FG Approves $2.3b For Coastal Rail Line Development.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.